Malaco Records - (Including Malaco Studio Productions)

45cellar

• Replies 20
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I used to sell Malaco product when I was at Charly, where they had a distribution deal during the 80's and early 90's. I say sell, but the truth was outside of London they hardly sold into the shops at all, let alone sell off the shelves. Sometimes we'd only bring in x100 copies of a LP title...UK based stores just weren't interested even on CD. Shame, some cracking stuff hidden on some LPs.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

I used to sell Malaco product when I was at Charly, where they had a distribution deal during the 80's and early 90's. I say sell, but the truth was outside of London they hardly sold into the shops at all, let alone sell off the shelves. Sometimes we'd only bring in x100 copies of a LP title...UK based stores just weren't interested even on CD. Shame, some cracking stuff hidden on some LPs.

ph34r.gif

My old company Ardent Enterprises imported a lot of Malaco LPs in the early 1980s and I helped out when Malaco opened a UK office, headed by Peter Felstead.

Malaco were distributed thru PRT at the time but they hardly sold anything so John Ridley and I sold them to stores in the UK and Europe (and some direct to the public).

We did very well, I remember we wholesaled more than 300 copies of ZZ Hill's I'm A Blues Man album, just after he died, and good quantities of the first Malaco LPs by Latimore, Denise LaSalle, Little Milton, etc. Our biggest customers were in Holland and Sweden.

Bobby Patterson was a promo man for Malaco at that time so we also imported his Bobby Story LP Storyteller and sold more than100 copies.

I persuaded Peter to issue 'Cheating In The Next Room' on a Malaco single in the UK but sales were poor.

All that activity was what inspired me to start my Ardent label (again) a few years later.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert