Malaco Studios - Devastating News

Just received very bad news, that Malaco Studios was totally destroyed today in a Tornado. Hoping everyone is ok but still waiting to hear.

Malaco - the last Soul company - recorded much of the finest Soul Music of the past 40 years. This is a devastating loss to our music and heritage.

Sean

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

SHOCKING news confirmed that the Malaco studio and offices have been destroyed by a devastating tornado in Jackson, Mississippi, a couple of hours ago.

Waiting for news reports on staff, let's hope nobody is hurt...

post-3850-0-73492600-1302908871_thumb.jp

Paul

Social source share

Sorry I started a thread without seeing yours, Sean. Can a moderator please merge them ?

And here's a photo of the Malaco building...

post-3850-0-74127200-1302909558_thumb.jp

Social source share

shocking stuff.

Tony Rounce and I were only there in January, interviewing George Jackson and Harrison Calloway in the studio.

Our thoughts and best wishes go out to Stuart, Tommy and all the lovely people who made us so welcome.

D

Edited by Dean Rudland
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

shocking stuff.

Tony Rounce and I were only there in January, interviewing George Jackson and Harrison Calloway in the studio.

Our thoughts and best wishes go out to Stuart, Tommy and all the lovely people who made us so welcome.

D

Dean just beat me to it but, I can only echo everything he says.

Hopefully they will rebuild and re-emerge as strong as ever...

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Terrible news, thankfully with no loss of life or injury.

Hopefully Malaco will rise again but to what level we don't know.

I believe a great studio can never be fully replaced. As the studio can be rebuilt, equipment replaced this is probably a load of bollox but I feel the history is in the walls and imparts itself through our speakers.

Aparantly the room holding all the historic master tapes was reduced to rubble. Hope the tapes themselves survived undamaged.

GUTTED!

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

This is such a terrible shame, all that history and the people who created such wonderful music.

Sure would agree Brett, a label that is steeped in a rich southern style soul music, that fell in and out of favour for the many mainstream 45 and LP collectors who often never got along with the Malaco musical styles. Malaco still stood, like Waylo. And like yourself Brett and all of the above posters - have collected Malaco without musical preference and regular visited the studio.

Hoping like hell this is not the end of one of Jackson's establishments.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Terrible news, thankfully with no loss of life or injury.

Hopefully Malaco will rise again but to what level we don't know.

I believe a great studio can never be fully replaced. As the studio can be rebuilt, equipment replaced this is probably a load of bollox but I feel the history is in the walls and imparts itself through our speakers.

Aparantly the room holding all the historic master tapes was reduced to rubble. Hope the tapes themselves survived undamaged.

GUTTED!

i would tend to agree with this sentiment, no problem re-building but the rubble has resonated to past glories and you would wonder if a littlemagic will be lost...imagine if that had happened to 2648 in its heyday?, saving grace, as everyone here has said, is no loss of life...no-one can legislate for acts of god... lets just hope the big fella puts something back when malaco gets back on its feet. whilst i cant offer any degree of knowledge on the southern soul sound, unlike a good many of my betters here, i do recognise malaco's contribution to the continuation of real soul music production, justified even more in this day and age.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert