Sad Day A Coming If Rumours Are True

And the price of the sales tables went up yet again. £105.00 for a six foot table. Of course if you are selling all the tat, it's £105.00 for a six foot table, clothes rail, elevated display, and whatever else you can manage :hatsoff2:

Noprthern soul tea trays, mouse mats,friggin' door mats, and what I thought was a Northern Soul milking three legged milking stool but was later told it was so you could sit down and work on your scooter engine.

To be quite honest, to have to sell £105 worth of records (and don't forget less then half of that will actually be proifit) before you actually sell any records for yourself has become impossible for people like me who just don't have the quantity and quality to make it worthwhile, which is why I didn't have a table at the March Prestatyn.

Oh yeah, the DJ fees haven't gone up in the last ten years either, in fact they were cut in March !

Would you like salt and vinegar to go with that massive chip on your shoulder sir :thumbsup::D

Social source share

• Replies 74
  • Views 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Surely Mark won't give up the foreign gigs .The few that I have done have been awesome !

He seemed happy at a couple of the London nighters too . Sadly the london gigs imploded and are no more .

Simon M

:hatsoff2::thumbsup:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

I heard Butch was going to give up 6 months ago,true ambassador to the northern scene. All the years i've heard him, never played a bad set and definitely no teddy bear records. I can remember at Bamburg a few years ago i think he broke his ankle, still hopped up on the stage, you can see he was in pain and performed like a true professional. Every man in life does a full circle, you either keep on that circle or branch off to find other interests. I just hope Butch takes time out and recharge his batteries and be back after a year. Keep on keeping on.

Cheers Billy

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL When you talk about retiring , what are you saying? that he is giving up DJ ing? and selling up and leaving the scene, never to appear again :huh: or is this the start of long standing DJ's cashing in before they are stuck with a load of records that nobody wants any more,? I hope it is not the latter. Butch is without doubt the #1 DJ and I mean that in the present tense, Like Baz I do not get out much, If this is true I must attend one of his last do-o's, Not quite sure who Mick H is of the top of my head, the only Mick H is Mick Holdworth from Wolves a great collector but did not no he was a Top DJ? Top Bloke yes, John Pugh Harpo & Pep are the DJ's that I like to here, with the greatest respect to Wolves Mick H,

Any way good luck to them all and welcome to whoever gets the opportunity to take on the mantle of being a top Rare SOUL DJ :thumbsup: DAVE

Social source share

Guest ruppy

Was going to take a few months of djing due to work projects in Europe ,however these have now been put on hold.

No plans of me hanging up the mic just yetno.gif

Hope that clears the rumours on my front

Best

Mick H

Social source share

Was going to take a few months of djing due to work projects in Europe ,however these have now been put on hold.

Best

Mick H

Only 4 days since the rumour Mick.......could've kept em in suspenders a bit longer biggrin.gif

Oh and glad to hear it :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Best

Mick H

That's good news Mick - hopefully some more Bar Amici dayers then :rolleyes:

On Butch. Very very sad day. Diane Lewis, Just Bros 'laugh' (ok perhaps John Vincent spun it a couple of times), Walter and the Admerations, Parliments, Mello Souls, Mac Staten, Mighty Lovers C/U, Jean Carter ..... one could go on.

The mainstream nostalgia Northern Scene IMO won't bat much of an eyelid as they don't seem to really accept new stuff and to be honest he hasn't really had anything like the recognition on the wider UK scene that he deserves. Read The Story of Northern Soul recently (quite enjoyed it ) but Butch was mentioned twice I think - the dj who's led the way since the mid 80s.

Was there really divs selling goliw98$? Obviously they don't have any black mates who grew up in the 70s who were bombarded with the w%^k "see you at tea time" comments. Makes my blood boil.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Hi Dave, this years Prestatyn sales area was unbelievable. More clothes and NS tat than there were records. I am not surprised people are disillusioned with it all, it's gone from an underground scene to a perfect copy of what's left of the rock n roll scene. Put any of the DJs mentioned on this thread on in your town and you'll get less through the door than you will if you book Dustbin and his Wigan roadshow, with reissues etc.

Exactly!

Good luck to him

Just hope if he sells his exclusives they stay in the UK.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Exactly!

Good luck to him

Just hope if he sells his exclusives they stay in the UK.

I was thinking about this. Will they sound as good played by somebody else.

I suppose they should in theory but some of the magic may go ?

but in about 10 - 15 years time all that will seem irrelevant. Lets hope the scene continues and the records end up in the right hands those who appreciate them.

Social source share

I was thinking about this. Will they sound as good played by somebody else.

I suppose they should in theory but some of the magic may go ?

but in about 10 - 15 years time all that will seem irrelevant. Lets hope the scene continues and the records end up in the right hands those who appreciate them.

What? It is about the record not who plays it. You might as well say it depends who the ears belong to as to whether it can sound good or not :rolleyes:

Social source share

What? It is about the record not who plays it. You might as well say it depends who the ears belong to as to whether it can sound good or not :rolleyes:

yes it is about the records but if some cheque book DJ appeared out of nowhere and baught a collection of mega rarities immediately it wouldn't seem right.

Not to me anyway.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

And us !!

Happy to. The golly*** was used to sell Jam in the 70s and 80s. The adverts featuring golly*** had "see you at tea time" as the catch phrase. Some black kids used get taunted by racist kids singing it to them. Simple - racist and crap.

Hope that helps

Social source share

Happy to. The golly*** was used to sell Jam in the 70s and 80s. The adverts featuring golly*** had "see you at tea time" as the catch phrase. Some black kids used get taunted by racist kids singing it to them. Simple - racist and crap.

Hope that helps

Your post and a Google search for golly "see you at tea time" helped. It now makes sense to me. Thanks.

Selling a Northern Soul Golly "negro" is just plain stupid.

Edit: that's the one you're talking about isn't it?

811.jpg

Edited by Benji
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Your post and a Google search for golly "see you at tea time" helped. It now makes sense to me. Thanks.

Selling a Northern Soul Golly "negro" is just plain stupid.

Edit: that's the one you're talking about isn't it?

It is Benji and you're right it is plain stupid.

They originally came from Enid Blyton books I think - there were three of them and guess what - one was called nig***

and someone sells these at a soul weekender. Wonder if any of the artists saw them.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Only if it's 'Northern Soul salt and vinegar'

Great come back :rolleyes:

I think i might have to put that on a T-shirt. Will sell like hot cakes at Cleethorpes :rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert