BlueWail

• Replies 15
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

• 2 months later...

her brother fought ali in the famous 'whats my name ' bout, ernie terrell i think. was deffo her brother tho

Uncle

As for the book

It was nice to read about my favourite soulstress

but to be honest,with her sister writing it you dont seem to get the whole warts an all story

with chunks of stuff glossed over

Her sister seems to have loved her,even idolised her has an older sibling

and the book shows this in bucket loads.

I would still recommend it as the tale of a hugely talented but sadly tragic star

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

her brother fought ali in the famous 'whats my name ' bout, ernie terrell i think. was deffo her brother tho

Think you're wrong with this one wasn't her maiden name Montgomery, I think she was married the Ernie, which is were the Terrell name came from.

Social source share

Nope, not her brother, I'm afraid. She only had a younger sister, Ludie.

She wasn't married to Ernie Terrell either, Terrell was a stage name, her real surname was indeed Montgomery, she recorded under this name earlier in her career.

Edited by sweeney
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Nope, not her brother, I'm afraid. She only had a younger sister, Ludie.

She wasn't married to Ernie Terrell either, Terrell was a stage name, her real surname was indeed Montgomery, she recorded under this name earlier in her career.

Sorry I was correct:

Tammi Terrell

Born Tammy Montgomery (b: 1/24/46) in Philadelphia. Died of a brain tumor on 3/16/79. First recorded for Wand in 1961. Worked with the James Brown Revue. Tumor diagnosed after collapsing on stage in 1967. Married briefly to boxer Ernie Terrell (brother of Jean Terrell of The Supremes).

Social source share

Sorry I was correct:

Tammi Terrell

Born Tammy Montgomery (b: 1/24/46) in Philadelphia. Died of a brain tumor on 3/16/79. First recorded for Wand in 1961. Worked with the James Brown Revue. Tumor diagnosed after collapsing on stage in 1967. Married briefly to boxer Ernie Terrell (brother of Jean Terrell of The Supremes).

The jury seems to be out. I've done some googling and the findings are inconclusive. There are as many claiming the marriage story to be false as true. Any boxing related site I looked at fails to mention Ernie Terrell's marriage to Tammi Terrell, which seems odd. By the way, she died on March 16th 1970, not 1979 as your unattributed quote states.

A quote from https://www.tammiterrell.com (below)

"Ludie confirms that Tammi received abuse from both Brown and Ruffin. Contrary to popular belief she was never married to boxer Ernie Terrell (although she was engaged during the last year of her life to one Dr. Ernest Garrett). Instead, she adopted the last name Terrell because it was shorter than Montgomery."

Does anyone have a definitive answer? Is it detailed in the book?

I guess the moral of the story is just because it's on the internet, it doesn't mean it's true.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

The jury seems to be out. I've done some googling and the findings are inconclusive. There are as many claiming the marriage story to be false as true. Any boxing related site I looked at fails to mention Ernie Terrell's marriage to Tammi Terrell, which seems odd. By the way, she died on March 16th 1970, not 1979 as your unattributed quote states.

A quote from https://www.tammiterrell.com (below)

"Ludie confirms that Tammi received abuse from both Brown and Ruffin. Contrary to popular belief she was never married to boxer Ernie Terrell (although she was engaged during the last year of her life to one Dr. Ernest Garrett). Instead, she adopted the last name Terrell because it was shorter than Montgomery."

Does anyone have a definitive answer? Is it detailed in the book?

I guess the moral of the story is just because it's on the internet, it doesn't mean it's true.

I didn't see the error with the date I should have corrected that, but from pre-internet days I still seem to recall the Terrell name came from her marriage to Ernie Terrell. Also see https://www.soulmusic.com/EYS-TammiT.htm Edited by Netspeaky
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Found this of interest, although I can't find out who wrote it? :thumbsup:

TAMMI TERRELL: MY SISTER TOMMIE

I was barely 9 years old when Tammi Terrell died in January of 1970, I always wondered about this beautiful singer that died so young and was one of the stars at Motown and how her life was; and now finally, all the pieces of her life come together in this new wonderful book entitled MY SISTER TOMMIE written by Vicki Wright, and Tammi's real life sister Ludie Montgomery. In September of 2002, I attended a marvelous show The Hal Awards in Beverly Hills. I was invited by the shows producer Janie Bradford, she wrote the million seller "Money, That's What I Want," a hit for Barrett Strong and later covered by so many artists including The Beatles, and also one of my favorites "Your Old Stand By," for Mary Wells !! That evening, the Beverly Hills hotel was filled with stars from the Motown galaxy. I saw real live Motown legends everyhwere !! Kim Weston, Brenda Holloway, Martha Reeves strolled by, there was Smokey Robinson talking wit Pete Moore of The Miracles, the lovely Claudette Robinson, Scherrie Payne of The Supremes, and soul legend Mable John !! Rick James was there and I was talking to him !! and so was Motown's king Berry Gordy but as I fell into the magic spell of one of my all time favorite singers; to my surprise I happened to fall in love again. She looked so beautiful, more than supreme, I thought I was in heaven when my eyes fell upon this women. She had that special look, that famous sexy mole, Her name? Ludie Montgomery, so beautiful, and so much looking like her famous sister Tammi Terrell !! I felt like I was standing next to the real Tammi Terrell and knowing this would be the closest I would ever get to be so close to one of my all time favorite singers in the world, the great Tammi Terrell. You could never imagine how I was feeling. I was standing next to Tammi's almost twin, her real sister, her youngest sister Ludie, I couldn't believe my eyes, and the way I was feeling this night. I loved Tammi Terrell so much throughout my life, here I was with her sister; who told me that night that to be on the look out for a book that she was writing on her sisters life and now finally out, that book entitled MY SISTER TOMMIE has been released and fans of Tammi's can go out and buy the book at fine book stores or on line at amazon.com. Tammi Terrell was such a big inspiration to me; her voice and style. I have always admired her and loved her solo work "Come On And See Me Baby," "Too Much To Hope For," "Tears At The End of a Love Affair," "I Can't Beleve You Love Me," I played those songs over and over, and over !! Then, Tammi's duets with Marvin Gaye, the most famous one "If This World Were Mine," "Your Precious Love," "Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing," and "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," but my real favorite was when Tammi sang "Give a Little Love," with Marvin, that's my song. Then her early work before she became Tammi Terrell, she was Tammy Mongomergy, cut such records as "I Cried," and "Sinner's Devotion," songs that record collectors treasure so well. My Sister Tommie is the life and times of Tammi Terrell as told by her sister Ludie, and co-writer Vicki Wright. I urge all my readers and fans of Tammi Terrell, to go out and buy this book, show some love to one of our great heroes, THE IRRESISTABLE MISS TAMMI TERRELL. Recommended CD Releases By Tammi Terrell : TAMMI TERRELL: THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION MARVIN GAYE & TAMMI TERRELL: The Complete Duets (3 duet albums plus solo recordings by Tammi) MARVIN GAYE & HIS GIRLS features Mary Wells, Kim Weston, and Tammi Terrell :thumbsup:

Edited by Netspeaky
Social source share

Think you're wrong with this one wasn't her maiden name Montgomery, I think she was married the Ernie, which is were the Terrell name came from.
Hi Mark,been reading this book over christmas,it says the name terrell was given to her by berry gordy at the start of her motown career as it was thought to sound more show business like,good book,one of my better christmas presents

Mick

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Hi Mark,been reading this book over christmas,it says the name terrell was given to her by berry gordy at the start of her motown career as it was thought to sound more show business like,good book,one of my better christmas presents

Mick

Well I suppose that would fit in nicely with Berry's version of events at Motown, I guess we will never really know, I will have to get a copy of the book, I'm sure it's an interesting read. Have you read Mary Wilson's book on her Supreme's career or Raynorma Gordy/Singleton, it sometimes see to have a different take when you see them speaking about Diana Ross/Motown. I guess they are no more different than ourselves, when it come to having a selective memory depending who you are talking to. :thumbsup:
Social source share

Well I suppose that would fit in nicely with Berry's version of events at Motown, I guess we will never really know, I will have to get a copy of the book, I'm sure it's an interesting read. Have you read Mary Wilson's book on her Supreme's career or Raynorma Gordy/Singleton, it sometimes see to have a different take when you see them speaking about Diana Ross/Motown. I guess they are no more different than ourselves, when it come to having a selective memory depending who you are talking to. :thumbsup:
Hi Mark,the actual quote was from her sister in the book,so guess she had nothing to gain by creating another myth,there is a mention of somebody she was engaged to in her last years,but no mention of who he was,her split with david ruffin is also mentioned,another source of rumour and counter rumour

best Mick

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert