Anyone Bought Any Decent Cds Recently?

Guest ShaneH

Guest ShaneH

Can anyone out there take the time to recommend their latest CD purchases?

Anything soulful really....northern,modern and new release stuff for example.....

Shane

:lol:

Social source share

• Replies 37
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Goldwax

Willie Hutch - Try It, You'll Like It - Expansion Records

Every track from the great man is a 10. All Motown / RCA 70's stuff. :lol:

Social source share

Guest rachel

IMO...

Good - Kent's GWP-NCY-TCB.. lots of lovely tracks from GWP, quite a lot of them previously unreleased, gorgeous stuff from Debbie Taylor, Alice Clark, and the wonderful 'Is This The Way To Treat A Girl' by the Hesitations :lol:

Bad - Cellarful of Motown Vol 2.. really disappointed by this after the first volume. I played the first one to death, but this one I think I've had on once or twice. Few nice tracks but nothing that special :lol:

Social source share

I'm glad someone asked this question - I've been meaning to ask for CD recommendations myself.....

I bought my first northern CD in a few years - Northern Soul's Classiest Rarities vol. 2 - and there are some real solid tunes on there....unfortunately, the ones I especially like are either unreleased ("Losin Control") or way out of my price range (Jimmy Bo Horne - but what a tune!!!). And that 'Dining in Chinatown' tune, talk about quirky.....

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

IMO...

Bad - Cellarful of Motown Vol 2.. really disappointed by this after the first volume. I played the first one to death, but this one I think I've had on once or twice. Few nice tracks but nothing that special :lol:

Phew thought I was the only one!

Social source share

Guest the dukester

would anyone else like to recommend their latest cd purchases?

Shane

RETURN OF THE DJANGO - THE UPSETTERS, FOR THE KILLER TRACK "LIVE INJECTION"

MURRRRRRRRDER :thumbsup::yes:

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

would anyone else like to recommend their latest cd purchases?

Shane

i've metioned this on here before, but the most recent jaguar wright album has a brilliant modern dancer called free

i haven't had a chance to listen to anything more recent cos been too busy in the last few months - i'd recomend getting on the soul brother (vinyl) mailing list though cos they send you a list of new releases with reviews and it's an easy way with keeping up with US only new releases

Social source share

There's been some xcellent new realeases, such as:

Earth, Wind & Fire - Illumination

Ian Martin - The Way

Various Artists - Soul Exposed

Wade O. Brown - All Night, All Love

There's plenty more too.

Is that a sainsbury shirt, can't believe there's 2 of the fcukers on here :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Anything soulful really....northern,modern and new release stuff for example.....

Shane

blush.gif

There are loads of nice US CDs around most of which I keep meaning to buy! Not sure that too many of them are 'new'. Will try to post a few with links later on, but can recommend the Ol' Virginia Soul comps (two volumes) which include: William Cummings (Make My Love a Hurting Thing); Soul Bros. Inc (Teardrops); both sides of the Dream Team on Gregory; Lenis Guess (For All You've Been); Bernard Williams (Gotta Be A Reason); and quite a few other things that are hard to find/expensive and I don't think have been included on any UK comps. :ohmy:

Social source share

would anyone else like to recommend their latest cd purchases?Shane

Northern Soul Ain't Nothin' But A House Party Double CD From ADSA Three Pound & 97pence, Ok it's got a lot of sounds that we all have but great for the Car, tracks include Bok To Bach Fathers Angels,I've Got The Need Moments, On The Real Side Larry Saunders,I Wanna Give You Tomorrow Benny Troy,Big Thing Yum Yums....

Jon Buck

Social source share

Just a quick overview of some recent purchases:

Does Anybody Know I'm Here - Kent Stand out tracks are Marvin Gaye "Soldiers Plea" Archie Bell "A Soldiers Prayer 1967", The Impressions "Don't Cry My Love" & the title track from the Dells

The Return Of Mod Jazz - Kent, Love this series, brilliant for the car.

Another Kent one, The Ovations Goldwax recordings, stand out trackd for me include "I've Gotta Go", "I Miss You Baby", "Pretty Little Angel" "They Say" & "Dance Party"

I agree with the earlier comments about Cellarful of Motown, was really looking forward to it, but was very disappointed.

One CD I bought earlier this year put keeps finding it's way back in to my player is the Soul Brother Records release "This Is Soul 2005" Absolutely brilliant, every one of the 16 tracks is superb, love it.

One CD I'm really excited about is the new release from Stevie Wonder, Stevie has long been a favourite of mine and his latest release has been imminent for the last 2 years ! According to Amazon, the long awaited new CD from Stevie Wonder "A Time To Love" is released on Monday.

Cheers

Nick

Social source share

Shane

:ohmy:

Shane,

Kent's follow-up 'Does anybody know I'm here Vol. 2' is a must - along with their 'For Connoisseurs Only Vol. 2'. If you're into deep, Henry Stone's series ain't bad - Benny Latimore and J.P Robinson are two goodies. :yes:

Also, the Herman Hitson 'You are too much for the human heart' is a belting anthology of his stuff from 61-76. thumbup.gif

Of the new stuff, Floyd Taylor and Bobby Purify's are proppersole winners :yes: whilst you can't go wrong with (imo anyway) the latest Kindred and EWF offerings :D

Saw Nate James live - he was the support at a Notts Arena gig and he was a belting act (haven't heard the album however). :yes:

Social source share

There are loads of nice US CDs around most of which I keep meaning to buy! Not sure that too many of them are 'new'. Will try to post a few with links later on, but can recommend the Ol' Virginia Soul comps (two volumes) which include: William Cummings (Make My Love a Hurting Thing); Soul Bros. Inc (Teardrops); both sides of the Dream Team on Gregory; Lenis Guess (For All You've Been); Bernard Williams (Gotta Be A Reason); and quite a few other things that are hard to find/expensive and I don't think have been included on any UK comps. wicked.gif

I bought both the Ol Virginia Soul releases and was really disappointed by both issues..... some terrible tracks on them. In addition to the tracks you mention (except the Dream Team) Barbara Stant is probably the best.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

complete motown singles vol2 1962.

its all the a/b sides of records released from the all the motown labels.

loads of notes about the singers, records ect.some great pictures of artists,record covers.aprox 80 pages of stuff.

vol1 59-61 was better imo

well worth buying if you like motown.looking forward to the next one being released

Social source share

Guest uroffal

I bought both the Ol Virginia Soul releases and was really disappointed by both issues..... some terrible tracks on them. In addition to the tracks you mention (except the Dream Team) Barbara Stant is probably the best.

I'm surprised the other stuff was bad, but glad you've tipped me off as I won't bother with 'em now.

The tracks I mentioned were the ones I knew on the two (and agree about the Dream Team although I rather like the 'There He Is' side).

Social source share

I'm surprised the other stuff was bad, but glad you've tipped me off as I won't bother with 'em now.

The tracks I mentioned were the ones I knew on the two (and agree about the Dream Team although I rather like the 'There He Is' side).

You might enjoy them :D but I've only listened once to them completely as they aren't that good IMO, white, garage and early doo-wop type stuff if I remember rightly...might have to dig them out again and have another listen :D From what I remember you'd struggle to make one decent cd from the pair....but don't let me put you off :lol:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

IMO...

Bad - Cellarful of Motown Vol 2.. really disappointed by this after the first volume. I played the first one to death, but this one I think I've had on once or twice. Few nice tracks but nothing that special :D

Thought CD1 from vol 2 boring, boring, boring but was pleasantly surprised with some of the goodies on CD2. But have to agree, not a patch on the Vol 1.

Bought 'Reaching for the Best' - The Blackpool Mecca compilation last week - not a classic but very interesting hearing tunes that tracked its progression from a purely 60's venue through to some sublime modern and early disco in its latter years.

Social source share

Sam Cooke's "Live At The Harlem Square Club" was just re-released in a blasting remastered edition after having been out of print for about 10 years or so. It's everything the slick studio recordings by Sam isn't - raw, screaming, pulsating, sweaty, gospel fueled partytime soul with the King Curtis Orchestra as the backing band played in front of an adult audience in a chitlin circuit club down in Miami, Florida. Seriously, for me this is one of the greatest albums of all-time, and that's certainly nothing I say often about soul/r&b albums. If you haven't heard it, I strongly advise you to check it out. wink.gif

Social source share

Sam Cooke's "Live At The Harlem Square Club" was just re-released in a blasting remastered edition after having been out of print for about 10 years or so. It's everything the slick studio recordings by Sam isn't - raw, screaming, pulsating, sweaty, gospel fueled partytime soul with the King Curtis Orchestra as the backing band played in front of an adult audience in a chitlin circuit club down in Miami, Florida. Seriously, for me this is one of the greatest albums of all-time, and that's certainly nothing I say often about soul/r&b albums. If you haven't heard it, I strongly advise you to check it out. wink.gif

I've got the vinyl of this Sebastian , as you say a brilliant live album , totally unlike Sam was on record , real soul captured live , fantastic stuff !! Best ,Eddie .

Social source share

Bought a CD on ebay.. came today only played it a couple of times...but am well happy... look away now if you don't do boots wink.gif

1/CHUCK JACKSON-'IF THATS WHAT YOU WANTED'

2/AMY LEE-'FORTUNE TELLER'

3/JUDY FREEMAN-'HOLD ON(ALT.TAKE)

4/'SOMETHING NEW TO DO'-(FEMALE VOCAL).

5/LITTLE LISA-'I'M A FOOL I MUST BE IN LOVE'

6/SUSAN SCHIFFRIN-'THE RIGHT TRACK'.

7/'THATS ENOUGH'-(ALT.FASTER VERSION).

8/DARREL BANKS-'OPEN THE DOOR TO YOUR HEART'(FASTER TAKE)

9/HIGH KEYS-'LIVIN'A LIE'(ALT.VOCAL CUT)

10/'NOT A CHANCE IN A MILLION'(ALT.VOCAL)

11/INVITATIONS-'WHATS WRONG WITH ME BABY'(ALT.LEAD VOCALS)

12/LOST&FOUND(ALT.MALE VOCAL)

13/'IF YOU ASK ME'(ALT.MALE VOCAL)

14/JACKIE BEAVERS-'CANT STOP LOVING YOU'(UNISSUED ACETATE)

15/CHARMAINS-'I IDOLISE YOU'(UNISSUED)

16/LITTLE ANN-'WHAT SHOULD I DO'(INTRO&BACKING VOCALS)

17/'PRESSURE'(UNISSUED MALE VOCAL)

18/BOBBY REED-'TIME IS RIGHT FOR LOVE'(ALT.DANCER CUT)

19/TROY DODDS-'TRY MY LOVE'(ALT.VOCAL TAKE)

20/CURTIS MAYFIELD-'BE THANKFUL'(UNISSUED)

21/SHEREEN JACKSON-'A LOVE REPUTATION'(UNISSUED)

22/RL.BURNSIDE-'ITS BAD YOU KNOW'(ALT.UNISSUED CUT)

23/BABY DOLL-'NOTHING NO SWEETER THAN LOVE'(UNISSUED)

24/THE RUMBLERS-'ITS HARLEM SHUFFLE TIME'(UNISSUED).

Edited by mischief
Social source share

Guest uroffal

You might enjoy them rolleyes.gif but I've only listened once to them completely as they aren't that good IMO, white, garage and early doo-wop type stuff if I remember rightly...might have to dig them out again and have another listen ohmy.gif From what I remember you'd struggle to make one decent cd from the pair....but don't let me put you off :ohmy:

ohmy.gif Well known for my love of white garage wink.gif

Social source share

Bought a CD on ebay.. came today only played it a couple of times...but am well happy... look away now if you don't do boots :thumbsup:

1/CHUCK JACKSON-'IF THATS WHAT YOU WANTED'

2/AMY LEE-'FORTUNE TELLER'

3/JUDY FREEMAN-'HOLD ON(ALT.TAKE)

4/'SOMETHING NEW TO DO'-(FEMALE VOCAL).

5/LITTLE LISA-'I'M A FOOL I MUST BE IN LOVE'

6/SUSAN SCHIFFRIN-'THE RIGHT TRACK'.

7/'THATS ENOUGH'-(ALT.FASTER VERSION).

8/DARREL BANKS-'OPEN THE DOOR TO YOUR HEART'(FASTER TAKE)

9/HIGH KEYS-'LIVIN'A LIE'(ALT.VOCAL CUT)

10/'NOT A CHANCE IN A MILLION'(ALT.VOCAL)

11/INVITATIONS-'WHATS WRONG WITH ME BABY'(ALT.LEAD VOCALS)

12/LOST&FOUND(ALT.MALE VOCAL)

13/'IF YOU ASK ME'(ALT.MALE VOCAL)

14/JACKIE BEAVERS-'CANT STOP LOVING YOU'(UNISSUED ACETATE)

15/CHARMAINS-'I IDOLISE YOU'(UNISSUED)

16/LITTLE ANN-'WHAT SHOULD I DO'(INTRO&BACKING VOCALS)

17/'PRESSURE'(UNISSUED MALE VOCAL)

18/BOBBY REED-'TIME IS RIGHT FOR LOVE'(ALT.DANCER CUT)

19/TROY DODDS-'TRY MY LOVE'(ALT.VOCAL TAKE)

20/CURTIS MAYFIELD-'BE THANKFUL'(UNISSUED)

21/SHEREEN JACKSON-'A LOVE REPUTATION'(UNISSUED)

22/RL.BURNSIDE-'ITS BAD YOU KNOW'(ALT.UNISSUED CUT)

23/BABY DOLL-'NOTHING NO SWEETER THAN LOVE'(UNISSUED)

24/THE RUMBLERS-'ITS HARLEM SHUFFLE TIME'(UNISSUED).

Isn't this the CD i heard about where the tracks have just been altered by some fancy dan music software?

Edited by Brett
Social source share

Finally got round to purchasing Eddie & Ernie 'Lost Friends' this weekend a truly magnificant comp, not very offten you can buy a 'artists' comp and sit and listen to the whole CD with out pressing the skip button! but you can sit and get lost in this.........soul at its best whistling.gif

Few tracks that stan out are

I can't stop the pain - Erinies solo effort

A man to love a woman

You make my life a sunny day - Phonix express

Doggone it

Outcast

Bullets dont have eyes - worth the price of the CD alone

Self service - the new bloods

Watch your step - Little worley and the drops

Social source share

Isn't this the CD i heard about where the tracks have just been altered by some fancy dan music software?

I heard this CD recently too. whistling.gif

I'm surprised they didn't include Eddie Foster and Frank Wilson's rare alternate faster version of "Stop Her On Sight" on Avenue or the rare alternate faster duet vocal version of "The Jocker" by Ruth Wyn and Stanley on the Casio Classfix label . Maybe they're for Volume Two.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert