Uk Rip Off Postage Charges

I won a 45 on ebay, the postage was £6.86 from a Uk address to a uk address

I presumed it would be mailed 'Special Delivery' because of the high cost of postage, but no, it was mailed first class recorded, costing £1.70 (a difference of £5.16)

So I emailed the seller, no reply, then emailed again a few days later to ask for a refund on the excessive p+p charges.

The seller claims I am being petty and that I got the record cheap, said I am being tight and not to bid on his records again....

Seller says to send the record back for a refund but I dont really want to, I just object to paying such high postage costs, am I being 'petty' ?

cheers

Paul

Social source share

• Replies 55
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

always reuse packaging save the planet re-cycle an' all that!!!!

Not being tight just GREEN

Yeah that's my top priority, recycling. rolleyes.gif

I've had people complain when I've re-used packaging, so they always get a brand new mailer and 3 pieces of factory cut cardboard, I charge an extra 10p for that lot.

Social source share

I notice you mentioned it was listed in US$ so listed by a UK seller on ebay.com. When you look at ebay.com listed items listed by UK sellers and check out the postal charges its far less clear what you're paying for for Uk to Uk shipping than the listings on ebay.co.uk. which usually specify 1st/2nd recorded etc. Most of UK based ebay.com listings seem to show standard shipping at $4 but when you click the ''see details'' is specifies this as shipping to the US and if you change country to the UK then the shipping costs go up to $5 - trippy. Bit of a dog's breakfast really. None of this means that your seller was any less of a thieving b**tard though.

Social source share

Guest dcsoxford

I don't think you are no seems to me that some sellers see the postage as a bit of a cash cow.

I think you will find that it is normal practise to load the cost of postage on ebay,

An ebay seller is charged a percentage on the selling price but NOT on postage,

therefore to make a little extra they load the postage.

I have bought stuff for £1 with postage £3.50, but it was worth the £4.50

Swings and roundabouts really,

If something is worth cost and postage all well and good, you should take postage into account when making a bid.

I have never sold anything on ebay, but I've bought a fair bit having two teenage daughters !!!!!

One seller in America replied to my enquiry about postage for a record at $28 (over £18) needless to say I didn't buy it.

To my mind that was excessive.

Del.

Social source share

How does that work? If there's no insurance or tracking involved, why should one record cost more than another to post?

that works that if you won a very expensive record very cheap you would be less incliuned to get upset about paying extra for the postage as overall you'd still have got a very good deal. Easy enough ?

Social source share

Yeah that's my top priority, recycling. :thumbsup:

I've had people complain when I've re-used packaging, so they always get a brand new mailer and 3 pieces of factory cut cardboard, I charge an extra 10p for that lot.

10p Pete? Surely the cost is higher,unless you buy them in massive amounts.Nothing wrong with re-cycling providing the record is well protected.(btw Pete you once had a go at me for suggesting adding on parking costs(70p) when i go to my local PO.!!!):yes:

Back on topic.The amount is far too much Paul for 1st class,blatant way of selling at a reasonable price and making a bit back thru P+P.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

10p Pete? Surely the cost is higher,unless you buy them in massive amounts.Nothing wrong with re-cycling providing the record is well protected.(btw Pete you once had a go at me for suggesting adding on parking costs(70p) when i go to my local PO.!!!):thumbsup:

I should think so too, that's outrageous, charging people for your parking!

I buy a few hundred at a time.

I checked and I actually make 8 pence on a recorded delivery package. Slap on the wrists.

Social source share

that works that if you won a very expensive record very cheap you would be less incliuned to get upset about paying extra for the postage as overall you'd still have got a very good deal. Easy enough ?

I don't know that record. Or what its worth.

I think you've just highlighted the flaw in your own argument :thumbsup:

Social source share

Still doesn't change the fact you're being ripped off though does it?

Social source share

I should think so too, that's outrageous, charging people for your parking!

I buy a few hundred at a time.

I checked and I actually make 8 pence on a recorded delivery package. Slap on the wrists.

:thumbsup: ,charges incurred Pete.I only SUGGESTED charging for parking.!!!.Consider my wrists slapped..:yes:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Ok, the guy is excessive on postage for UK delivery especially. On the record in question he states in the description that postage is $22 (which he has "corrected" on some auctions to his regular $11)

Looking at his completed auctions he states "Please note: postage is $11 anywhere in the world". That would have made me suspicious of what I would have to pay for UK delivery and I wouldn't have assumed I was going to get it cheaper.

He now states on his present auctions -

ATTENTION! MY POSTAGE CHARGE IS $11.00 ACCROSS THE BOARD, ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO PAY THAT AMOUNT...........THEN DON'T BID ON MY LISTINGS. THANK YOU

No abiguity now. Seems to me if you pay it you can't moan about it. If you still want to bid then take the postage into account and lower yer top bid accordingly.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

I dont mind paying high postage if im getting a good service, ie, next day 'special delivery' which I should have had for that price. Not a couple of days later just regular 'signed for' delivery ...

I'll just have to leave feedback to reflect my experience with this seller, in several thousand transactions on ebay, I think ive only left 2 or 3 Neg's.

Ive given plenty of opportunity to resolve this issue but Phil wont have it !

Social source share

I dont mind paying high postage if im getting a good service, ie, next day 'special delivery' which I should have had for that price. Not a couple of days later just regular 'signed for' delivery ...

I'll just have to leave feedback to reflect my experience with this seller, in several thousand transactions on ebay, I think ive only left 2 or 3 Neg's.

Ive given plenty of opportunity to resolve this issue but Phil wont have it !

Totally agree with you. I'm going to do the same with someone who's charged me £4 postage and it came second class standard! That's around 70 pence.

Social source share

SOME USA SELLERS TRY IT ON BUT IF YOU TACKLE THEM NICELY THEY SOMETIMES COME ROUND.RECENTLY BOUGHT A DOZEN 45S FROM ONE GUY OVER THERE $1 FIRST 45 50c EACH ADDITIONAL TO THE UK,SAYS HE USES A COSOLIDATOR,BUT SOME OF EM CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO GET OFF THEIR SFA TO FIND A CHEAPER OPTION

KEV

Social source share

Re post 24 $11

Charging that amount actuates to theft - remember Ebay is an auction site and therefore Postage cannot be what you like but at the actual cost of postage and the actual cost of packaging otherwise you are defrauding the person you sold the item to. Ive had a similar problem with Wii games for 4 games a woman wanted to charge me 8 pounds in Uk I weighed the package(obviously using 4 games I owned and the padded envelope and weighed it and sought the postage charge on Royal mail rates)- When I told her what it was she went apeshit and then would no longer sell me the Wii games

In conclusion they are thieves nothing else as their is no justification for their so called charges.

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

Re post 24 $11

Charging that amount actuates to theft - remember Ebay is an auction site and therefore Postage cannot be what you like but at the actual cost of postage and the actual cost of packaging otherwise you are defrauding the person you sold the item to. Ive had a similar problem with Wii games for 4 games a woman wanted to charge me 8 pounds in Uk I weighed the package(obviously using 4 games I owned and the padded envelope and weighed it and sought the postage charge on Royal mail rates)- When I told her what it was she went apeshit and then would no longer sell me the Wii games

In conclusion they are thieves nothing else as their is no justification for their so called charges.

Can she actually do that, I thought an Ebay sale was a contract?

Social source share

Playing Devils Advocate here, if there's a standard charge across the board where he may make a profit on one sale but a loss on the other it equals out in the end. Pete, remember what we had to do for your site? Sometimes you just can't list or offer every conceivable postage rate. Plus of course, if it's a business, they can include a charge for their time. Why should that be reflected in the cost of the item when a cheaper item draws better attention - its swings and roundabouts. Like some have said, you don't have to bid on it if you don't like the postage terms. Just my thoughts :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

Thinik it may have been listed on ebay USA

That's a real curious situation. There is no Ebay USA, the USA have to use the international site. Any country that doesn't have its own Ebay uses the dot com international site and the citizens of the US have to share it with them. It's because at one time Ebay was US only by its very nature, even though it was a dotcom. I'm betting if Ebay.us ever launched most USians would still use the dotcom. Most citizens of the US don't even know .us exists, they assume that .com is theirs.

I've only ever seen one .us site. Wonder how many there are...

Social source share

Playing Devils Advocate here, if there's a standard charge across the board where he may make a profit on one sale but a loss on the other it equals out in the end. Pete, remember what we had to do for your site? Sometimes you just can't list or offer every conceivable postage rate. Plus of course, if it's a business, they can include a charge for their time. Why should that be reflected in the cost of the item when a cheaper item draws better attention - its swings and roundabouts. Like some have said, you don't have to bid on it if you don't like the postage terms. Just my thoughts :rolleyes:

If they are a business they are in more trouble as all charges for packing etc are included in the price of the item (ITS called Unit price and they use this to reduce the corporate taxes imposed on them as a business)therefore they can only charge you the actual cost of postage or the tax man and customs and excise might be interested.

Social source share

But it's ebay Ernie, not a shop :rolleyes:

If they run it through ebay as a shop or a business it applies!

The price of a mars bar sold by any method or means by a business or shop is made up of different values applying to the final price. It would include handling time and packaging and distribution costs manufacture costs. The final price is called a unit price but the seller(retailer) cannot include his own postage cost in this unit price other wise the unit price would vary and therefore corporation tax would be applied on the profit they make which would include the amount they charge for postage and therefore would have an effect on customs and excise duty and is the reason why actual postage costs advertised are nearly exact to the true postage cost!In other words you will not find a business making money out of postage cost as it would affect profit levels.

Social source share

I know and appreciate what you're saying Ernie... but as I said, it's second had goods on ebay and not necessarily a legit 'business'.

Social source share

Sure do, I'm still having problems with f*ckwits not reading the postage rates! :rolleyes:

I know, charge a flat fee of say $11 - that way there's no chance of them making a mistake!

Nope, that wouldn't work would it laugh.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert