Where Are The Northern Soul Deserts

A topic in reply to a post on another thread...

A member posted that he is sick of hearing the same 50 tunes and that keeps him from going out...

Where are the Northern soul deserts around the uk???

Living in Manchester/ North West we have been blessed with plenty choice and a cross section of soul events over the years and still going on at the moment...

Would of interest to see whats on or not on around the uk... You never know, you could find out that there is something going on to your liking, closer than you think...

Always a lot of talk about too much going on yet we have comments like this, so not enough going on in some places i guess..

Maybe this is better in Current affairs, if so then please move...

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Bearsy

sorry chalky was just trying to bring a bit of humour to the thrread to help revive it thumbsup.gif

basically the whole of Kent is a northern soul desert, 1 bi-monthly event mainly attended by people that never go to any other soul events but have a great time at KSC

Social source share

Stevie, just for clarification, are you asking if there are areas in the country/world where northern isn't played, or are you asking are there areas where they only play the same style (top 500) records all the time?

:yes:

Places in the country that does not have many/ any events... simple...

No interest in top 500 debate :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i remember the days when it wasn't like that Phil , some good nights ....some dodgy ones as well mind lolol

Social source share

Brighton / Sunderland

There used to be a few nights in Brighton, Si Bridger ran doo ron ron, and also a dayer every so often, saw Pete Smith DJ there, and good he was too :sleep3: I was down there one week, 2/3 years ago, went into a pub and northern was playing asked behind the bar, said it ran every Sunday, to be fair it was very quiet. Saw Si put something up on facebook the other day, 3 retro nights on the same day??

Winnie smile.gif

Social source share

There used to be a few nights in Brighton, Si Bridger ran doo ron ron, and also a dayer every so often, saw Pete Smith DJ there, and good he was too smile.gif I was down there one week, 2/3 years ago, went into a pub and northern was playing asked behind the bar, said it ran every Sunday, to be fair it was very quiet. Saw Si put something up on facebook the other day, 3 retro nights on the same day??

Winnie :g:

I remember the alldayers down there at The Volks Tavern on the sea front.Dj'ed there myself when Pete was on.Think Flynny was on as well same day.:sleep3:

Social source share

I remember the alldayers down there at The Volks Tavern on the sea front.Dj'ed there myself when Pete was on.Think Flynny was on as well same day.:sleep3:

Yeah it was at the volks, I used to love them, first one there I wore tottenham shirts all day, went through 8 :g: I've got a feeling Andy Faulkner DJ'd that day as well, anybody know what happened to him? I think Denny Clifford was at the first one, and possibly Mick Fitz, that's my memory shot now though, will need to go lie down thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I suppose there are all manner of reasons for people like me for instance not getting out - not least habit (I think going becomes a habit too). Stopped going regularand travelling when Dave Flynn and Greg stopped doing Capitol Soul Club - not because of them stopping (the new guys at the Dome were very fine indeed - Mick H etc and I coulda/woulda/shoulda supported them) but a number of shitty things happened in my life around that time. Also, I was by then busy with a new venture which diverted attention and very often took up weekends. Been to a few smaller events since, but not travelled far at all.

I would also add that music policies can be off-putting for me. I personally don't like much of the r&b stuff (mainly the earlier tunes) - stuff like Dean Barlow, Helen Troy, Charles Sheffield etc which just seemed to get hammered all the time, especially at smaller venues along the M4/M5 and the over-reliance on guaranteed 'floorfillers'/'crowdpleasers' at those venues - Ruby Andrews etc. I know local promoters, local DJs etc have to cater for many tastes and I don't necessarliy criticise them for it, just my own choice.

Social source share

There used to be a few nights in Brighton, Si Bridger ran doo ron ron, and also a dayer every so often, saw Pete Smith DJ there, and good he was too :sleep3: I was down there one week, 2/3 years ago, went into a pub and northern was playing asked behind the bar, said it ran every Sunday, to be fair it was very quiet. Saw Si put something up on facebook the other day, 3 retro nights on the same day??

Winnie smile.gif

Not much on in central Brighton in terms of rare Soul at the moment Winnie - something on once every six months or so normally promoted by Paddy Shevlin and there is also the annual August bank holiday niter. Used to really enjoy the Volks all dayers that Si Bridger used to run - had some great times down there.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

there was a volks last summer, usual story though. 100 people there in the afternoon, all the mods clear off home for their tea about 6, leaving about 10 people, and the place got shut at 10. The main reason nobody does anything in Brighton is everybody wants another do then NOBODY BOTHERS TURNING UP, I gave up on this town years ago :sleep3:

Social source share

there was a volks last summer, usual story though. 100 people there in the afternoon, all the mods clear off home for their tea about 6, leaving about 10 people, and the place got shut at 10. The main reason nobody does anything in Brighton is everybody wants another do then NOBODY BOTHERS TURNING UP, I gave up on this town years ago :sleep3:

Yeah Paul I went to a Volks early last summer and there were only about 20 people there - Ion and Si were DJing - some nice tunes but not many people.

Social source share

Sunderland is a town which never seemed to have many soul fans or events, in stark contrast to the rest of the north east.

Social source share

Sunderland is a town which never seemed to have many soul fans or events, in stark contrast to the rest of the north east.

Twas a bit odd Paul given how many Soul events there were in the surrounding towns of County Durham and Gateshead.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

despite the yate allnighters of the past bristol is also a bit of a desert...we have got long established 70s/modern nites in soul train and hot buttered soul....getting together have been struggling to get a venue this year so go go children is the only venue playing 60s northern,we dont play the same old tunes but we DO play rnb and even ska and a little british beat so its more of a mod night than a soul night...although hardly any local mods or scooterists turn up(probably cos we dont play frank!)...but we are busy and getting loads of youngsters in so the futures looking good

luckily for me we have wooten hall allnighters,riverside and soulfusion in gloucester, bridgwater soul nite and new nights starting in bath next month and weston supa mere in june...aswell as the goldsoul weekender in weston over the august bank holiday...but only a handful travel from bristol

dean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert