Advice For Selling A Collection

Guest ganesh

Guest ganesh

HI All

This may or may not happen, hopefully the latter.

If i needed to sell a collection of around 600 originals, which is the best way to do it to get best price on the rarer items and bulk sell the rest.

I've not been to a niter for about 18 years but have kept an eye on some prices on here and relise that the prices i paid bear no resemblance to that going price now, eg Tommy Turner - Lazy - Elban Demo - i paid £7.

In the past i have chatted to John manship about this and this would take out the problems of grading condition, postage and advertising, but at a % cost.

An example of the rarer items i have are, lee McKinnney & magnetics - keep holding on, little willie faulk - look into my heart, colt 45's - lady, lady, cajun hart, got to find a way (UK Demo), ray pollard x3, drifter and sad thing UK demos, and this time on shrine

obviously the whole collection is not all like this and there are lots of more availalbe items such as vent releases by the ethics etc.

Like i say hopefully the need will not arise but i have to consider this so would appreciate some advise.

cheers

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'm sure many more experienced sellers can offer you advice (and hope they do so)

Firstly, I'd recommend you buy either or both of the JM and Tim Brown Price Guides - they provide an indication.

Also, start pricing items with reference to last sold prices on here, on Evil Bay or Popsike etc

It takes time to do all this, but you pay lower sales fees and you can sell at your own speed and requirement.

As you say, if you ask someone to so it (a main dealer like JM / Pat Brady etc], they take a fee, BUT they may well reach a wider audience and achieve higher prices ie the price difference achieved maybe more than the fee...........

Please also remember to consider

Packaging

Postage

Insurance Cover

which countries you may or may not sell to

and

importantly how you wish to be paid

Hope that helps

Edited by RareMusicDirect
Social source share

If you sell the collection as a whole to Johnny M or say Andy Dyson - at least they'll pay you upfront and do all the legwork in selling - you'll not have any of your time wasted by the 'I want it but haven't actually got the money' brigade - who ask you to hold, and then disappear off the radar - you'll also not get the sheisters that claim they haven't had the record arrive etc. You won't get as much cash, but you won't end up with just the cream gone and the fillers left, and hours of your time gone :thumbsup:

Good luck!

Lee McKinney - I'm foaming at the mouth and would love to own a copy, but alas am as poor as a poor thing :thumbsup:

Social source share

I agree with all that has been said- the main thing is time as this is the most valuble thing you can give anything! By having help from others you probably won't get as much in money terms but you will be free to use your time as you please. Some people love the social thing of selling tunes if that's your bag then do it yourself, if not get the pro's in!

Social source share

tough call with a bit of leg work selling yourself startign with the high value items individually will get you the best returns.

magnetics and willie faulk etc etc would fetch top money on ebay or with manship.

then yopu can offload the rest inj bulk as most of your proper money will have been made.

have you got any of that crappy deep stuff that nobody wants these days...... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest ganesh

what crappy deep stuff is that, i've not been anywhere apart from a couple of local do's i jocked at about 4 or 5 years back

Social source share

This is the Sales Forum
Use the site PM (personal message) system for any trading discussion

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert