Billboard - Did You Know You Can Read Online?

Pete S

Maybe you did know this but I didn't, I did a search for the singer "Christine Cooper" and a result came up from Google Books, turned out to be a one line mention in a 1965 edition of Billboard. So I did a few different ones, for instance, a search for singer RODDIE JOY bought up this edition

(link doesn't work so removed it, but go to Google, click on MORE and choose books then search)

and inside it is a small review of a Roddie Joy single but tons of interesting material, showing things like Tamla Motown expanding into the UK, adverts for singles, breaking tunes like The Uniques, so there must be countless editions of Billboard online which people could use to gather interesting memorabilia.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

As far as I'm aware the complete back catalogue of Billboard magazine is available and searchable through Google Books. Have been using for a couple of years and have found it immensely useful in digging up stuff.

One tip - if you have a Google Account, then you can save pages for future reference within your Google Library! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Good post Pete.

Got told by Craig Butler, early part of last year or before, about being able to read old issues of Billboard online - great news I thought!

And just like Pete says it's packed full of fascinating information about current/new releases, background info on record companies, what's hot and what's not, the list is endless.

It's like reading a time capsule;

if you ever wondered what it would be like to go back in time to America in the sixties and read about music being then currently released - now you can.

Just read Billboard online.

But I did and fell into a black hole where I emerged about 3 hours later hahaha.

It scared me so much I dare not go back to Billboard online as it sucked all my life away (smile).

Be aware.

derek x

Social source share

Good post Pete.

Just read Billboard online.

But I did and fell into a black hole where I emerged about 3 hours later hahaha.

It scared me so much I dare not go back to Billboard online as it sucked all my life away (smile).

Be aware.

derek x

Crikey, you could spend some time there alright :yes:

Interesting stuff Pete :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I'm sure they have added a load more recently - there were some big gaps at one time.

If you want you can go in via the Billboard website.

https://www.billboard.com/#/archive

e.g. you can click on 1960 - and it will bring up all the individual issues for 1960 thru 1964.

Or you can search across the whole archive or an individual issue.

BRILLIANT RESOURCE!!

MB

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert