Gwen Owens Anyone?

• Replies 27
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Put it this way someone will buy it and it does state at the bottom its a repro/boot so whats the problem ? Bit pricey I must admit but someone will buy it.

Social source share

Guest martyn

Put it this way someone will buy it and it does state at the bottom its a repro/boot so whats the problem ? Bit pricey I must admit but someone will buy it.

Where does it say repro/boot ? It says '70s pressing' , which means nothing to suggest boot or 2nd issue to the less well informed .

Social source share

The "less well informed" shouldn't be spending 99 quid on ANY record,and if they do it serves em right.

I had many thousands of records before I learned that "pressing" was british secret code for bootleg. Just because it's obvious in your circle doesn't make it obvious to all collectors and it does not "serve em right" to be ripped off by shady dealers.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A bit pricey? Three, maybe even four times what it's worth makes it incredibly pricey.

I sold one for £20 a while back and I thought that was "a bit pricey" :)

Social source share

Where does it say repro/boot ? It says '70s pressing' , which means nothing to suggest boot or 2nd issue to the less well informed .

well on some of his older listing in the past it's said repro/boot

Social source share

I had many thousands of records before I learned that "pressing" was british secret code for bootleg. Just because it's obvious in your circle doesn't make it obvious to all collectors and it does not "serve em right" to be ripped off by shady dealers.

Well if you check his feedback score its 100 % so this fella cant be that shady anyway besides I have bought stuff of the fella in the past some originals some boots shock horror :hatsoff2: . Waiting for the shit to start flying now :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I don't think I've ever seen a record listed as z boot. eBay don't allow the word boot that's why they use reissue.

70s press I'd misleading, it gives it some sort of legitimacy. Reissue would have been a better word.

Sad thing is someone will probably pay the money.

Social source share

The point I was trying to make Bob is if you collect Anything,not just records then you should have at least some basic knowledge before shelling out large sums.. If you're less well informed then "get informed" before taking the plunge. Nobody's trying to rip any one off here(well,apart from the fact its ridiculously over priced). Pressing, reissue , boot, call it what you like,you can tell from the pic quite clearly its the styrene 70's boot. If someone doesn't know that then they probably shouldn't buy it. And should probably think twice about joining the ranks of high paying collectors until they've learned enough to reduce the risk of getting their fingers burnt, by either a shady dealer or their own ignorance .

Edited by John A
Social source share

Well if you check his feedback score its 100 % so this fella cant be that shady anyway besides I have bought stuff of the fella in the past some originals some boots shock horror :hatsoff2: . Waiting for the shit to start flying now :thumbsup:

I have also bought originals/pressings from this dealer as well, with no complaints from me, but it still doesn't excuse having the neck to charge a ton for a Gwen Owens boot.

Social source share

Guest Dante

The point I was trying to make Bob is if you collect Anything,not just records then you should have at least some basic knowledge before shelling out large sums.. If you're less well informed then "get informed" before taking the plunge. Nobody's trying to rip any one off here(well,apart from the fact its ridiculously over priced). Pressing, reissue , boot, call it what you like,you can tell from the pic quite clearly its the styrene 70's boot. If someone doesn't know that then they probably shouldn't buy it. And should probably think twice about joining the ranks of high paying collectors until they've learned enough to reduce the risk of getting their fingers burnt, by either a shady dealer or their own ignorance .

There was a thread about this subject not too long ago. About a Rita + Tiaras Surprise Emidisc if I'm not wrong. A UK guy that had been collecting for years and years said he didn't know pressing meant boot.

Misleading, I think. But you have to be when you sell boots on eBay, for the reason CHalky pointed out.

Social source share

The point I was trying to make is that I collected for many years and had more than "basic knowledge" but still didn't know what a "pressing" was supposed to be. Stuff that you consider "basic knowledge" is not necessarily universal. I did get burned a few times with bootlegs and ended up eventually having to buy manship's bootleg guide but that was many years and dollars down the line. I don't live in a world where I'm surrounded by bootlegs done for a UK market.

Social source share

I don't think I've ever seen a record listed as z boot. eBay don't allow the word boot that's why they use reissue.

70s press I'd misleading, it gives it some sort of legitimacy. Reissue would have been a better word.

Sad thing is someone will probably pay the money.

dont know about that chalky, i always state whether a record is original, reissue or bootleg, got one on ebay at the moment- turner king (big joe turner) and i fully tell folk its a bootleg, and never had a problem with ebay about listing boots, i think as long as you're upfront about it and people know what they're buying its ok but when you mislead and skirt round the truth or use misleading words it becomes out of order :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest martyn

The bottom line is that he's trying to catch someone out by selling a boot for 99 quid .Now if that's OK with you fine , just dont complain when its your turn to get ripped of by a dodgy car dealer, builder,mechanic,etc or find that your Armani jeans arent Armarni jeans .What goes around comes around

Social source share

£45 notes for a Gary Haines very good look -a- like bootleg is when you think about it not bad money seeing as its dog hard to get hold of a copy and it would not surprise me in the least if it was not an awful lot rarer than most originals of any record below £250 and there is the added bonus of it at least being on vinyl not styrene.

Discuss!!

Social source share

The bottom line is that he's trying to catch someone out by selling a boot for 99 quid .Now if that's OK with you fine , just dont complain when its your turn to get ripped of by a dodgy car dealer, builder,mechanic,etc or find that your Armani jeans arent Armarni jeans .What goes around comes around

Yawn...... right, you're all missing my point. I'm not even on about this crappy Gwen owens record any more. Just collecting in general...ANYTHING

Don't start paying hefty prices till you know what you're doing. Obvious really.

Just looked at the listing again and he clearly states 1970's PRESS so I can't see how he's trying to catch any one out??

Right, gotta go get my car serviced by Bob the builder in his Armarni overalls.safe as houses :thumbsup:

Social source share

£45 notes for a Gary Haines very good look -a- like bootleg is when you think about it not bad money seeing as its dog hard to get hold of a copy

You're either joking, or you're very rich.

Original is only 125/150 so who in their right mind would pay 45 quid for a bootleg?

You tried selling one? Took me about 2 months to sell the last original I had.

Social source share

Perhaps a re-wording?? rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert