White Cliff(S) Label From New Orleans

Pete S

White Cliffs Records was a subsidiary of Dover Records. Most of the latter that I have seen have White Cliffs Music as their publisher. The distributorship, Dover Records, White Cliffs Records and White Cliffs Music must have been under the same umbrella and ownership, possibly with different co-owning partners in the different subsidiaries.

These were all Cosimo Matassa's companies. Dover was the big umbrella which distributed & funded not only his own stuff (White Cliffs etc) but also a whole grip of other New Orleans labels/productions from the early 60s up until the whole Dover thing crumbled under unpaid bills & the strain of the massive hit which was Aaron Neville's "Tell It Like It Is" on Par-Lo.

It ties in with the stuff on my website.

https://greenvilleandbeyond.wordpress.com/labels/dover/

https://greenvilleandbeyond.wordpress.com/labels/white-cliffs/

Edited by Kris Holmes
Social source share

Dover was the big umbrella which distributed & funded not only his own stuff (White Cliffs etc) but also a whole grip of other New Orleans labels/productions from the early 60s up until the whole Dover thing crumbled under unpaid bills & the strain of the massive hit which was Aaron Neville's "Tell It Like It Is" on Par-Lo.

It's interesting how a major hit can kill an indie isn't it? I've often had old time American record guys tell me exactly the same thing. "Tell It Like It Is" sold a million and the company went bust. The company was probably ticking over just fine in the New Orleans and Southern markets but suddenly having to press 1,000,000 45's and distribute them across the USA in 1967 must have been a step too far. One record veteran told me that you always have to have the next hot record ready to go otherwise the distributors will try and stiff you on the current hit.

They certainly didn't press many G. Davis & R. Tyler's did they..........? :g:

Ian D :D

Social source share

It's interesting how a major hit can kill an indie isn't it? I've often had old time American record guys tell me exactly the same thing. "Tell It Like It Is" sold a million and the company went bust. The company was probably ticking over just fine in the New Orleans and Southern markets but suddenly having to press 1,000,000 45's and distribute them across the USA in 1967 must have been a step too far. One record veteran told me that you always have to have the next hot record ready to go otherwise the distributors will try and stiff you on the current hit.

They certainly didn't press many G. Davis & R. Tyler's did they..........? :g:

yeah, it makes sense though when you think of it as "forced over-extension of funds", a blessing & then a curse, makes licensing it off up the food chain seem like a smooth move.

Social source share

yeah, it makes sense though when you think of it as "forced over-extension of funds", a blessing & then a curse, makes licensing it off up the food chain seem like a smooth move.

Good thing Berry Gordy recognised that reality, and leased out "Come To Me" and "Money", or we'd never have had the Great Motown Corporation, and it's great '60s production.

Social source share

Absolutely. Trying to press and distribute a million records in a few weeks would be a cash-flow nightmare.....

Social source share

Good thing Berry Gordy recognised that reality, and leased out "Come To Me" and "Money", or we'd never have had the Great Motown Corporation, and it's great '60s production.

Yep he was smart for sure. Those two records built the foundations of the whole company when you think about it. Plus the royalties from "Reet Petite" probably didn't hurt either.........

Social source share

• 3 months later...

Does anybody have any info on Tasco Records which was, I believe, a subsiduary of White Cliffs

Has the discography in post #32 been updated at all

thanks

Andy

Thought Otis Scott was the only Tasco release, were there more? Other than it being a White Cliffs publishing, I was under the impression that this was a one off type deal for him

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

• 6 months later...

Here's a discography based (for 45s) on R&B Indies, with several titles added. Any additions / corrections are welcome of course.

45s:

200 - Bill Sinigai & The Skyliners - Second Line (Part 1) / (Part 2)

202 - Tony Sullivan - Margaret / I Would If I Could

202 - Reggie Pitassy - Easter Bunny Bring My Daddy Home / I'm Gonna Color My Eggs All Blue

204 - Bob Allen & The Wanderers - It's About Time / Longing For You

205 - Steve Babin - Rambling Baby / Share Your Love With Me

206 - Al Belletto - Have A Very, Merry Christmas / Have A Happy, Happy New Year

207 - Roland Stone - Don't Believe Him Donna / Remember That

208 - The Sonics - Just Like Delilah / So Tired

209 - The Antiques - Taught Me To Care / Glistening Stars Are Shining

210 - Frank Ford - Basin Street Blues / Lonesome Road

211 - 4 Young Men - The First Time / Huggy Bear

212 - The Saxons - What Will Become Of Me / Chippie

213 - The Herrington Sisters - I'll Praise His Name / He Will Stay By Your Side

214 - Don & Ron - I'm So So Sorry / The Girl I Hope To Find

216 - Bob Allen - Lately / I Don't Blame You

217 - Alex Spearman - Down The Aisle / I'll Whip It On You

218 - Marie Dubarry - Why / Never Trust A Man

219 - Hugh Watts - Handy's Blues (Part 1) / (Part 2)

220 - Oscar Jackson - Nosey Woman / Contrary Heart

221 - Emile Guess - What Did You Say To Her / At A Glance

222 - Joe Wilson - Goddess Of Love / Headed For A Fall

223 - China Flair - He's My Man / Baby I Love You

224 - El Pauling & The 5 Royales - I'm On The Right Road Now / Mr. Moon Man

225 - Al White & The Hi-Liters - Jamaica / Them Drums (Part 2)

226 - James & Gang - Act Right / And You

228 - Billy Sheppard - The Phoenix Love Theme / Pack Of Letters, Pack Of Lies

229 - Ronnie Kole Trio - Batman Theme / Narom's Blues

230 - The Sonics - Come Home Baby / Crescent Walk

231 - The Masonic Kings - He Has Never Left Me Alone / Our Heavenly Father's Children

232 - Alex Spearman - Stranded In The Desert / You'll Never Find Another Man Like Me

233 - Ann Daniels - The Names The Same / Love Bug

234 - James & James Gang - Hey Girl / Sorrow

235 - Ronnie Kole Trio - It's Magical You / Tony's Tune

236 - Beaver & The Trappers - In Misery / Happiness Is Havin'

237 - Joe Haywood - I Would If I Could / Warm And Tender Love

238 - The Patriots - Eagle Feathers / Batch O'Nova

239 - The Rocks - Who Do You Love / Keep My Woman Home

240 - Ronnie Kole Trio - Fight Of The Queen Hornet / Campin'

242 - Joe Wilson - I'm Her Only Man / I Want To Love You

243 - The Magnetics - Sacrificing / Tomorrow

245 - Freddie Vel - Come On In Blues / You're The Reason

246 - Tommy Dawn & The Sunsets - Poor Little Ugly / Wanted $10000 Reward

248 - Joe Haywood - Let's Make It / Hand In Hand

249 - The Fabulous Falcons - Dolly / I Wanna Be With You

251 - Glory Rhodes - One Track Mind / Run For Your Life

252 - Ron Phillips - Never Give Away Love / That Man's Got No Luck

253 - Bourbon Street Cabaret Band & Stripping Soc., Inc. - Linda Baby Pt. 1/Pt. 2

255 - Reggie Hall - Shoo Fly / Please, Please Phone

257 - Johnny Minit & The Hands Of Time - Just Someone / Turnaround

258 - Chuck Cornish - A Tribute To Mohammed Ali / Let's Go Steady

259 - Canadian Legends - I'm A Believer / Just One Girl

260 - Tommy Ridgley - Hey Little Chick / Did You Tell Him

261 - Stark Whiteman - Graduation Day / Noise

262 - The Swingin' Apollo's - Summertime Blues / Slow Down

263 - Flip Black - We Got Love / Seven Sundays

264 - Larry Brasso - You're At It Again / Take Part Of Me

265 - One Eyed Jacks - Sun So High / Love

266 - Huey (Piano) Smith And The Clowns - Blues '67 (Part 1) / (Part 2)

267 - Johnny Minit & The Hands Of Time - Nobody Else / ?

268 - Young Jesse - Funky Funky Football (Part 1) / (Part 2)

269 - Palace Guards - No Comin' Back / Gas Station Boogaloo

270 - Leroy Bates - Bad Bad Understanding / I'm Forever Crying

271 - Masonic Kings - Who Is That Walking On The Water / Let Me Tell You

273 - Garland Hilton - Return Of Billy Joe / The Loneliest Man In The World

276 - Canadian Legends - Happy / One And Only

277 - Johnny Minit & The Hands Of Time - Peppermint Choo Choo / ?

281 - Joe Wilson - Sam, Sam Money Man / Now You Want To Do Right

284 - P.A.K. & Company - Chantilly Lace / Heartbreak Station

285 - The Montaltos - Our World / Life Goes On

286 - The Palace Guards - Looking Everywhere / Gas Station Boogaloo Downtown

287 - Red Armand - I'm A Roughneck Now / Say Goodbye

288 - Fay Darling - Love & Hate / All The Loneliness

6901 - Sunny Ridell - Come Out In My World / Don't Steal My Baby

7101 - Patricia Arnell - Al Belletto And Friends / Al Belletto And The Kids - When Christmas Comes / Have A Very Merry Christmas

LPs:

1001 - The Ronnie Kole Trio - Live At Kole's Corner

1002 - Trombones Beaucoup - Swing Low

1003 - Nickie's Jass Band - Nickie's Jass Band

1004 - ?

1005 - Armand Hug - Armand Hug Plays Jazz

Time for a re-visit...any additions to the above listing yet, anyone? :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Thank you

I'm told there's a 45 on Tasco by Joe Parker called 'Not too long ago'

Can anybody confirm

Andy

Hi Andy

The Joe Parker exists, It's Joe Parker & a group (forgotten the name)

It's a really maniac version of the Uniques as mentioned, way, way to fast to dance to. :yes:

Took me ages to sell it. Also had the Otis Scott, and I seem to remember having a third Tasco 45 too  :g:

Dave

Edited by Louise
Social source share

While this thread has been reactivated I'd like to give a plug to The Cosimo Code website - https://cosimocode.com/

For anyone who isn't already aware this is an ongoing project to document the work of Cosimo Matassa and his recording studios in New Orleans.

A few White Cliffs 45s which are still missing in the list on the Cosimo Code site are:

253 - Bourbon Street Cabaret Band & Stripping Soc., Inc. - Linda Baby Pt. 1/Pt. 2

Does anyone have the codes (205-xxxx) on the labels of these (e.g. Matt who added 253 or Doc Rock who added 285 in this thread)?

Or does anyone have scans of the Joe Parker 45 on Tasco?

Social source share

Scanning thorough the Cosimo pages is like seeing a bunch of your favourite friends all together in one place for the first time, what a legacy of amazing recordings, wow, hard to really start pulling a Top 5 but here's a personal stab

1. Watch your step - The Bare facts (Hot Line) how on earth did this get released on Hot Line, searing brutal 5***** garage with a break to die for

2. Lenny McDaniel and the New Era - Something out of nothing (Seven B) bought way back when it was an unknown and only speculated about on a couple of collector boards, paid a chunk of change despite the lack of soundfile on the auction, it arrived on a Friday afternoon and put it on the turntable simply thinking "please don't suck, please don't suck", 10 seconds from the start was leaping round the room beaming

3. Walter B and the Untouchables - I can't stop loving you (Apollo) suspect still under-rated as too few copies around in playboxes but know was a Stafford spin, out and out Northern stomper, too fast for most these days probably, tough, Walter Boligny's voice is unmistakeable on all of his releases

4. Joe Wilson - I'm her only man (White Cliffs) just a perfect record for today's dancefloors, as punchy as the lyrics (he spends the song promising to flat out deck anyone making a move on his woman), still woefully obscure so grab it if you see one

5. Skip Easterling - Run along to Mama (Alon) Owner of one of the most pure blue-eyed voices on vinyl and the song is a pure gem, won't rest until I make it to Ponderosa and finally get to hear him sing this live  

Social source share

A few White Cliffs 45s which are still missing in the list on the Cosimo Code site are:

Does anyone have the codes (205-xxxx) on the labels of these (e.g. Matt who added 253 or Doc Rock who added 285 in this thread)?

253 is 205-2109/2110. Does that make sense?

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

221 - Emile Guess - What Did You Say To Her / At A Glance

Had a friend over last night who pulled this out of a box and asked to hear it, wow had forgotten how good this is, real blue-eyed gem, none on popsike or on any thread here except this one so may not be too well known, recommended

Social source share

• 6 months later...
Guest Doc Rock 13

Please check out this concerning White Cliffs 285: https://cosimocode.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=936

Social source share

It's a great site Tiberius. After 14 years of various researches a friend of mine has created (at last !)  his blog about New Orleans music : https://monola.net/

White Cliffs Records : https://monola.net/laba0118.htm

Thanks for pointing this out as it's always good too see these things,although I don't speak French myself!  Please ask your friend to correct the typing error for White Cliffs 246 which should read Tommy Dawn not "Tonny".

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!