Billy Arnell - The Greatest Story Ever Told

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guilty your Honor! This was my cover up...really Bernard Harper on Action Records (Texas?). This is what I wrote about it in Shades Of Soul back in 2000:

Took me a couple of plays to get into this a few years back, but it's definitely one of my favourite discs nowadays. I have been dee jaying with it recently under the guise of "Billy Arnell - The greatest story ever told", so now you know the truth. A chugging nagging beat, with a simple yet strong sounding production, without the aid of any added brass or strings or kitchen sinks! The chopping lead guitar and swirling organ play the major parts, as Bernard tells his ex that he's over her, "I never thought that I could face you again, after I was so hurt". He's strong as, "now you can even flirt 'cause I've found me a love so strong", and more than that, "it's better than the greatest story ever told". That put her in her place. "I'm not gonna lose it, no matter how good you look to me". Never seen or heard of another copy, but I'm not saying that it's a one off, but it definitely deserves to be more well known and loved. Come and hear it at The Dome!

The recording in Refosoul has been pitched up a touch, and yes there is another version (different label), but the vocal is pretty weak imo.

hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert