Ricky Lewis - Someone To Love Tonight - Mercury

Pete S

Again, sorry to ask, but I pick up some records from time to time and I have no idea if they have ever been played out at some point, this one, Ricky Lewis - Someone to love tonight - Mercury 72640 (WD), produced by Bobby Robinson. A very slow starter which might have some people reaching for the eject button until after 20 seconds it transforms into a decent dancver; format is then repeated. The good bits are really good but it's a bit too stop/start for me.

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest uroffal

Was known/played mid '80s at Stafford (was covered at one time as Eric Mercury - Tonight?). Never really took off and still isn't widely known (at least I don't think it is). Sold one on here a few years ago, but can't remember what for. Think I added to Refosoul at the time too.

Social source share

Yes - was covered up and played by Ion and Dean Anderson as "Tonight" by Eric Mercury around 1984. Have no idea of a current value, 'cos hardly ever turns up for sale.

Thanks for the info everyone, that's actually really useful Gene, I can use that in the blurb to try and flog it!

Social source share

Yes - was covered up and played by Ion and Dean Anderson as "Tonight" by Eric Mercury around 1984. Have no idea of a current value, 'cos hardly ever turns up for sale.

it is about but no demand, mainly for the reason Pete says, too stop start. Had one in box for ages with little or even no interest in it. I'll have to check to see if it is still in there.

Manship books it at £75. Craig Moerer has a vg one at $60.

Social source share

it is about but no demand, mainly for the reason Pete says, too stop start. Had one in box for ages with little or even no interest in it. I'll have to check to see if it is still in there.

Manship books it at £75. Craig Moerer has a vg one at $60.

Stuck it out at £40 but would probably take £30 biggrin.gif

Social source share

Did Mister Lewis record anything else before or after this Mercury release?

He issued 45s on Bobby Robinson's ENJOY and FIRE labels too.

The flipside on the MERCURY 45 ("Dance All Night") is a decent uptempo r&b/mod/club soul dancer. You'd probably have a better chance of selling it if you list it for that tune instead and make a soundclip.

It wouldn't surprise me if the 45 on the CINDY label out of Elizabeth, New Jersey is by the same guy. "Stop, Think & Listen" on that 45 is a fantastic mid-tempo dancer. The frantic flipside "I'm Lonely Too" also seems to be popular.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

The flipside on the MERCURY 45 ("Dance All Night") is a decent uptempo r&b/mod/club soul dancer. You'd probably have a better chance of selling it if you list it for that tune instead and make a soundclip.

I did play that side first but it was so horrible I deceided to go with the other one laugh.gif

Social source share

Hi,

Barrie Waddington (Brad may have been involved as well) turned up the first copy of this and I had it off him and played it as Eric Mercury. The stop/start thing sounded right at the time, coming just after Big Frank, Chris Morgan etc. It's definitely a lot harder than the price tag suggests.

All best

Ion

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert