The Perfect Dj Spot

Big Al told me about someone coming up with a formula for the perfect northern spot, for example 30% oldies, 20% underplayed, 20% modern ect, anyone know who said it? and how do you think the ratio should break down?

Obviously many would argue that any formula takes away the spontanaiety and ability to respond to a dancefloor, but it could be a reflection, post set, rather than how you'd set out to do it before the spot.

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Bearsy

the perfect dj spot is when every single person in the venue enjoys it and i dont think that can happen cos no matter who djs there will always be one miserable scrote having a moan about something :rolleyes:

a nice mix up of all genres would be great for certain venues ie- ATB but not anywhere else imho

a bloody good dj to me can play any mix up of genres to keep the dance floor flowing if thats what the venue is advertising itself as, it takes skill thought knowledge and a personalitly, unfortunately not all djs have that they just have records :hatsoff2:

Social source share

the perfect dj spot is when every single person in the venue enjoys it and i dont think that can happen cos no matter who djs there will always be one miserable scrote having a moan about something :rolleyes:

a nice mix up of all genres would be great for certain venues ie- ATB but not anywhere else imho

a bloody good dj to me can play any mix up of genres to keep the dance floor flowing if thats what the venue is advertising itself as, it takes skill thought knowledge and a personalitly, unfortunately not all djs have that they just have records :hatsoff2:

IS THE CORRECT ANSWER :thumbsup:

BRI PINCH

Social source share

personally I believe there's room for variety everywhere, even if its only in tempo or the texture of records played, but were off into that ole can o worms yet again. same can different magot, LOL.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

personally I believe there's room for variety everywhere, even if its only in tempo or the texture of records played, but were off into that ole can o worms yet again. same can different magot, LOL.

have you been to an oldies event lately when a modern or unknown tune is played :lol: some peeps hate 60s love modern visa versa, some like funky stuff some dont, some like latin plenty dont, some get r&b some cant stand it, at most venues a boody good mix up dont work for the majority BUT i would like it if more was played but djs just wont do it for fear of emptying the dance floor and being branded a shite dj which means no more bookings, if the venue suits the mix then hopefully the venue gets the support and the night is a success and more peeps become interested thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest I KNOW NOTHING

i believe if you aint on 1st, then you got a good chance of pleasing a lot of the dancers. cos you see what ppl are dancing (or not) too. then you should work off that when warming up. then you will get them into your set.... "hopefully". then you get the "DJs" that turn up 10 min b4 their set. lol. its called RECONISCENCE. DO YA HOMEWORK.. SUSS IT OUT.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

My perfect spot wouldn't include any modern for a start. :thumbsup:

Seriously though, I don't think there's any such thing as the perfect spot. Pat Bleasdale comes pretty close for me with a brilliant mix of 60s, R&B, funk, crossover and even some new releases. I've never heard a DJ mix up a set so smoothly so all the parts came together so well.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

My perfect spot wouldn't include any modern for a start. :D

Seriously though, I don't think there's any such thing as the perfect spot. Pat Bleasdale comes pretty close for me with a brilliant mix of 60s, R&B, funk, crossover and even some new releases. I've never heard a DJ mix up a set so smoothly so all the parts came together so well.

sounds like an ATB spot to me Matt :thumbsup:

Social source share

i believe if you aint on 1st, then you got a good chance of pleasing a lot of the dancers. cos you see what ppl are dancing (or not) too. then you should work off that when warming up. then you will get them into your set.... "hopefully". then you get the "DJs" that turn up 10 min b4 their set. lol. its called RECONISCENCE. DO YA HOMEWORK.. SUSS IT OUT.

Spot on, its just the decent thing, no audinece want well know classics repeated within hour or even minutes of one and other.

Social source share

have you been to an oldies event lately when a modern or unknown tune is played :thumbsup: some peeps hate 60s love modern visa versa, some like funky stuff some dont, some like latin plenty dont, some get r&b some cant stand it, at most venues a boody good mix up dont work for the majority BUT i would like it if more was played but djs just wont do it for fear of emptying the dance floor and being branded a shite dj which means no more bookings, if the venue suits the mix then hopefully the venue gets the support and the night is a success and more peeps become interested :D

maybe its a little niave of me, I just love it all, well at least a good portion from all the genre's mentioned. shame folks aint more open minded but I do belive there's a lot to be said for programming, the order that you play them, in terms of keeping people on the floor and intergrating and introducing new sounds.

Social source share

mix of 60s, R&B, funk, crossover and even some new releases.

Matt

I'm with you that's about as close as it gets for me too......you forgot some Latin :)

No perfect spot a good dj should read the room & some of the best for me over the years have been Arthur Fenn,Bob Hinsley & Roger Banks..........not always playing stuff I prefer but there reading of the room is usually top class.

I love dj's with conviction in what they are playing even if it's not quite right for me,to see there love for there music is a buzz in it's self.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Guest kev such

the perfect dj spot is when every single person in the venue enjoys it and i dont think that can happen cos no matter who djs there will always be one miserable scrote having a moan about something :)

a bloody good dj to me can play any mix up of genres to keep the dance floor flowing if thats what the venue is advertising itself as, it takes skill thought knowledge and a personalitly, unfortunately not all djs have that they just have records :lol:

Here Here Bearsy. Well put mate.

Social source share

Guest brivinyl

Matt

I love dj's with conviction in what they are playing even if it's not quite right for me,to see there love for there music is a buzz in it's self.

I'm with yer on that one !

Nothing worse than seeing a DJ that looks pissed off while playing a set.

Social source share

Guest kev such

I'm with yer on that one !

Nothing worse than seeing a DJ that looks pissed off while playing a set.

Or one who is sitting down with his hands in pockets while the tunes playing.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert