Posting To Japan - Insured

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Morning All :thumbsup:

Would be really grateful for some advise please. I've been asked if i'll sell and ship a record on behalf of someone else to Japan. I've only ever sold a couple of cheapish 45's in the UK before and want to keep his record safe. It could possibly sell for between £300-500. I need it insured in some kind of way and signed for.

Could someone offer me the best option to take please??

I said I'd do the favour by selling it but wish I hadn't now...... scared of it getting lost and being held accountable as its my account.

Many thanks in anticipation......

Teresa

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Ask them if they do an airsure service to Japan before asking about international signed for - it's way more reliable

i was told in my post office that you can only get up to 40 quid insurance cover with airsure ? might have been wrong information they gave me :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

i was told in my post office that you can only get up to 40 quid insurance cover with airsure ? might have been wrong information they gave me :thumbsup:

They were right about standard Airsure but one has to pay extra for extra insurance.

Airsure is insured up to 100 x first class stamp which is 41p, hence basic insurance £41

To insure up to £500 is another £2.50 on top of the cost of Airsure

Basic Airmail cost of item xx.xx

plus

Airsure ------------------------- 4.90

Ins up to £500 ----------------2.50

therefor £7.40 on top of the cost of standard Airmail

However, it's a minefield. Airsure is only tracked to destination without signature. If payment is via Paypal then a signature is required over a certain amount, not sure what is at the moment, it may be £250 but like I say not sure.

Also another minefield is the fact that Royal Mail will only compensate the sellers initial cost of the item, NOT what it sold for. and they'll want proof of the initial cost, so no receipt no payee.

It used to be easy claiming for lost packages but they've tightened up on it enormously in the last couple of years or so.

Just so complicated.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

OOoooo that's quite alarming!

So as it's a record my friend has had for 30+ years, no proof of original purchase....No pay out regardless of the Ebay sale price etc? That's come as a real shocker!!!

Really glad I asked on here first.

Thank You.

Teresa

They were right about standard Airsure but one has to pay extra for extra insurance.

Airsure is insured up to 100 x first class stamp which is 41p, hence basic insurance £41

To insure up to £500 is another £2.50 on top of the cost of Airsure

Basic Airmail cost of item xx.xx

plus

Airsure ------------------------- 4.90

Ins up to £500 ----------------2.50

therefor £7.40 on top of the cost of standard Airmail

However, it's a minefield. Airsure is only tracked to destination without signature. If payment is via Paypal then a signature is required over a certain amount, not sure what is at the moment, it may be £250 but like I say not sure.

Also another minefield is the fact that Royal Mail will only compensate the sellers initial cost of the item, NOT what it sold for. and they'll want proof of the initial cost, so no receipt no payee.

It used to be easy claiming for lost packages but they've tightened up on it enormously in the last couple of years or so.

Just so complicated.

:lol:

Social source share

Theresa, I've come across this problem before. Is the record in question listed in Manships or Tim Brown Price Guide? OR was the tranaction paid by paypal or via ebay? If so then the Royal Mail WILL pay up. They have no option..

Theresa, have you checked out Fedex or the other carriers. I only use Fedex now for expensive items abroad inbound and out. Almost as cheap and no hassle whatsoever with customs etc.

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Phew!

Yes it will be via Ebay and paid for with paypal. I've never tried Fedex as I've never really sold anything before. This is all new to me. I just presumed from the previous replies that I wouldn't be covered because we have no proof of original purchase.

I apologise and should have made myself clearer and stated that it will be the result of an ebay auction sale.

I just want it to land safely abroad. I've only quoted basic postage and am happy to take the hit on any extra costs incurred as long as it gets there by the most secure method possible. I will look up Fedex also. All this help is sincerely appreciated and a real eye opener. Thank You

This selling lark......Not as easy as it looks eh!

Theresa, I've come across this problem before. Is the record in question listed in Manships or Tim Brown Price Guide? OR was the tranaction paid by paypal or via ebay? If so then the Royal Mail WILL pay up. They have no option..

Theresa, have you checked out Fedex or the other carriers. I only use Fedex now for expensive items abroad inbound and out. Almost as cheap and no hassle whatsoever with customs etc.

Social source share

well that screws things up completely it makes a mockery of paying for the cover in the first place. I've paid for this cover a few times just in case one did go missing but would of had a nasty shock if I ever did have to make a claim.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

well that screws things up completely it makes a mockery of paying for the cover in the first place. I've paid for this cover a few times just in case one did go missing but would of had a nasty shock if I ever did have to make a claim.

Dylan, don't take my word for it as i may be wrong and also it may work differently for personal customers and Business customers, not sure. Look into it the whole compensation thing on Royal Mail, Paypal and Ebay, it's bloody confusing which makes Einstein's Theory of Relativity simple by comparison.

:)

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Just thought I'd add this, as it might be important to some folks.......

Airsure is not recognised in Japan and a few other countries too according to the post office yesterday :thumbsup:

Luckily the record sold to someone in the UK...phew!!!

Many thanks to all that replied :D

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Sold and posted quite a few records to Japan some years ago when I was a record dealer, always fast and efficient delivery to Japan, no problems whatsoever I am glad to say. And Japanese customers are often so thankful. Some even offered me to come over and stay with them for a while in their home, to show their gratitude for me providing them with a record that they´ve been searching for for so long :O) Never had buyers from other countries making me such offers.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert