• Views 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got a rawer different take of this Dave ... Fab Tune

I've got a soundfile of an alternative version...wonder if it's the same?!

Is yours an original acetate...lets be 'avin' that scan up here!

:thumbup:

Social source share

I've got a soundfile of an alternative version...wonder if it's the same?!

Is yours an original acetate...lets be 'avin' that scan up here!

:thumbup:

Dave

Its on the flip of my avatar - audiodisc acetate with one way or another on one side and twice as much for my baby on the other.

6ts acetate plays great but has a little flaking on the run in.

Cheers

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

...and here is the demo copy...note the 'A' in DECCA is circled to indicate the official 'A' side...clever stuff from the label designers!

:hatsoff2:

well spotted even dug my copy out to check lol

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

• 3 years later...

Don't mean to drag up an old topic, but I was looking for the answer to something kind of relevant.

My copy of Danny White "Cracked Up Over You" has the smaller, single-line song title. There's obviously also the version with bigger type, over two lines. Now I'm not really worried about either one being counterfeit, but is there a logical difference between the two? East coast/west coast, different pressing run, just completely random?

Also… It's been touched upon how the Decca logo in some cases is on the right rather than the usual left… I'm pretty sure this is because labels would make large quantities of blank record labels (ie. with logo/basic info that would be in every release), and then print individual release info on each as they went along – title, artist, writer, publisher, etc. This makes sense from a cost perspective, as making one, large batch of full-color labels is (or was, there's probably not a big difference now) cheaper than making individual full-color jobs for each single release. This is why you can sometimes see song title/artist name/etc printed twice on a label, while everything else is perfectly aligned. I'm sure Decca had guidelines stating that the logo should be on the left, but it must have (and apparently did) happen that someone messed up and the logo ended up on the wrong side.

There's been cases of bootleggers getting hold of blank stock labels and using them for counterfeit releases (Jerry Cook "I Hurt On the Other Side" on Capitol, with the text printed too close to the center, I believe is such a case). Sorry if this is all common knowledge, but I saw it being questioned and not answered in the thread.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!