Mike

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Matt Male

How can Carwash even make the claim if it requires a relaunch? Surely that indicates a break in continuity and the moment they stopped they ceased to be running the night?

Social source share

Quote from the article

"Set to celebrate its 21st anniversary, Carwash has billed itself - in the press release at least - as the UK's longest running club-night. Yet is this true? Here's some other long running club nights... In Glasgow Divine! at the Art School has been running for twenty years, albeit not continuously after being forced to take the odd break or two.

Meanwhile, the 100 Club's monthly Northern Soul all-nighter began in 1979. Founded by Ady Croasdel, the night remains one of the most influential events on the rare soul scene."

Now either my simple arithmatic is faulty, but isn't 1979 more than 21 years ago :ohmy:

Social source share

Quote from the article

"Set to celebrate its 21st anniversary, Carwash has billed itself - in the press release at least - as the UK's longest running club-night. Yet is this true? Here's some other long running club nights... In Glasgow Divine! at the Art School has been running for twenty years, albeit not continuously after being forced to take the odd break or two.

Meanwhile, the 100 Club's monthly Northern Soul all-nighter began in 1979. Founded by Ady Croasdel, the night remains one of the most influential events on the rare soul scene."

Now either my simple arithmatic is faulty, but isn't 1979 more than 21 years ago :D

Well, the guys from the webpage saying there are other contenders. It's the dudes at carwash pulling the phrase out of their sleeve.

Social source share

absolutely right there dave, im struggling however, to think of a club night thats been going continuously for more than 20 years and on reflection, i would say that most of the "stalwarts", for want of better words, have been going for perhaps 16 or 17 at the most and there certainly wont be "hundreds" of them. i know that BRIGHOUSE RITZ is into its 14th year.....im also sure kenny lee will vouch for the length of time GOODYEARS has been run as a soul night under his stewardship and that would have to be roughly the same.......SO COME ON THEN,....WHAT ABOUT THE REST OF THE UK?:(

Social source share

with respect guys,its about the longest consecutive running club night....isnt it funny though......the irony that the clubs we refer to as legends lasted only as long as the blink of an eye....or so it would seem, torch, wheel, cats, va-vas, mecca ....even wigan.....yes, the bricks and mortar were around for a long time,perhaps even, their latter day popularity lead to their demise....the market place now, of course, is significantly bigger and venues generally come and go BECAUSE of the competition and LESS of the former, being shut, demolished etc. i think the difference now is, we dont refer to the venues we attend as legends because the music policies they employ on the whole cater for what the public want ....so we refer to them as GREAT. a large proportion are still very atmospheric which counts for a lot. perhaps it would be possible to compile a list here so a make a definitive statement as to where the scene is right now, its up to the promoters to give up the info,....afterall, we have here, a week by week schedule of whats on, so a list of every venue and how long its been going shouldnt be a hardship?

Social source share

Soul Galore S25 been going since 1995 - now in 17th year

Venues have included Lyric,Resource Centre(both Dinnington) plus Welfare Hall Thurcroft

Think Sweet Soul @ Newark been going roughly same length of time too

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Heywood Civic,15 years at the same venue,without a break :D

Point of Order m'lud,

In all honesty it did close for 3 months in '06 whilst essential building maintainance was carried out, but moved down the road for that period, until it's triumphal return under Steve's guidance.

But, back to the topic, I think I'm right in thinking that most of these long established events are Monthly occurances, whereas Wigan and The Wheel were every WEEK

and

so 8 years of Wigan would be around 400 Saturday Nighters, plus the Friday Oldies do's

And I'm pretty sure The Wheel was open in one form or another every Day, which by my reckoning is gonna take some catching.

ATB

Tony

Social source share

Boogaloosoul - 10 years and still standing. OK, it's not the longest running in the UK but it is the longest running in Greenwich and I couldn't resist the chance for a quick plug. :D

It's on this Saturday night, by the way, for those of you who live in Landan and still haven't been down. You know who you are :D :D

Social source share

Point of Order m'lud,

In all honesty it did close for 3 months in '06 whilst essential building maintainance was carried out, but moved down the road for that period, until it's triumphal return under Steve's guidance.

But, back to the topic, I think I'm right in thinking that most of these long established events are Monthly occurances, whereas Wigan and The Wheel were every WEEK

and

so 8 years of Wigan would be around 400 Saturday Nighters, plus the Friday Oldies do's

And I'm pretty sure The Wheel was open in one form or another every Day, which by my reckoning is gonna take some catching.

ATB

Tony

aint the whole gist the longest running uk club night

not the most northern soul nites/nighters - sure if you look there be loads of uk club nites that were running weekly events over periods longer than 8 years

Social source share

Boogaloosoul - 10 years and still standing. OK, it's not the longest running in the UK but it is the longest running in Greenwich and I couldn't resist the chance for a quick plug. :D

It's on this Saturday night, by the way, for those of you who live in Landan and still haven't been down. You know who you are :D:lol:

we have a calendar and events section for plugging your event :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert