Sunday Events - A Rising Trend ?

Mike

noticed that the amount of sunday events has been rising over the last few months with a fair few either being billed as dayers or stating an afternoon start

while last sunday event went to was an alldayer a couple of years ago, I can see the attraction (would argue that one of the best pints you can have is the morning after a niter)

of the afternoon thing, though have heard some reluctance to them

are we talking alldayer style full on event with most or do some of the ones advertised go for a sort of lazy afternoon style ?

what's the views out there on this rising trend?

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

i know that i have said it before, but I just can't see the attraction meself.

Very few, are what I would term proper all dayers say from 2 til 12.

cannot see myself ever going anywhere that finishes around 7 or 8, to me absolutely pointless.

I do however enjoy Sunday Night do's from say 7 til 11.30 ish, sets up nice for the grind ahead.

Sadly these are very few and far between

ATB

Tony

Social source share

Soul Synchronicity . . . . .was just talking about this tonoght Mike. Steve and Kev around here for our monthly playing over new purchases and bemoaning the demise of The Attic soul club we ran. These mid-week evening sesions are just about the best thing we got out of the Attic, a few very good, like-minded, friends sharing a deck to play each other a wide array of soul music, some of it even 'northern' enough to entertain the baggies (not a West Brom reference). Opinion was passed around the table, over several bottles of wine (gone the days when bitter or mild was the only offering), prompted by Steve L that Sunday sessions was the way to go. Debated the "Chill out" session and the more relaxed play-list, leading into the evening dance floor session. We agreed (all be it over several bottles) that this may be the way to go. Not taking anyhting away from the solid Fri/Sat nighter as the cutting edge, just a more sedate less physically demanding listening event.

The play list for tonights front room session would be a good start, thanks lads, loved the tunes.

Social source share

been thinking about this myself lately, at easington welfare hall in county durham, got a two roomed event on every other month.. thinking of just using little room, mainly locals i suppose would turn out, maybe 30/40 in & make it free entry... & helps the club out a bit more with bar sales...

sunday nights are a bore, there is crap on the tv & sky tv is a waste of time & money, suday dinner followed by sunday soul..

start at 8 till 12 & see what happens, if it dont go, it dont go....

Social source share

The only place you would find me on a Sun is either fishing a competition or watchin RL Leigh Centurions, might do the odd bank hol alldayer after tea :D Blimey there are enough do,s on Fri / Sat without promo, in Sundays it will only breed more DJ,s :thumbsup::yes:

At least you could guarantee a full house - of dj's.:yes: .

My only concern is that most Sunday sessions were/are put on as an alternative,socially and musically.But the playlists from some seem to tell another story.(not knocking what's played at all).

I suppose after a few beers,we all revert to type,and there's only so much chill out music a man(or woman) can stand.

In the end they look ,and read ,like yet another soul night.The chill out factor is that its Sunday afternoon,not the music.

I must add that ive not attended one,this is an opinion from the outside....Kev.

Social source share

been thinking about this myself lately, at easington welfare hall in county durham, got a two roomed event on every other month.. thinking of just using little room, mainly locals i suppose would turn out, maybe 30/40 in & make it free entry... & helps the club out a bit more with bar sales...

sunday nights are a bore, there is crap on the tv & sky tv is a waste of time & money, suday dinner followed by sunday soul..

start at 8 till 12 & see what happens, if it dont go, it dont go....

Good on yer,

Used to be a Sunday Night do in Heywood, a few years back, with the likes of

Tony Mac, StevieZ and Carl Willingham spinning a few.

Boring it was Not!!

Tony

Social source share

Have attended a few of the free Horse & Groom sunday chill out events in Doncaster & found them hugely enjoyable.

Ran by people who care about the music rather than profit.

Don't think it'll be long before promoters start cashing in on the success of these free events though.

Will just spoil it for everyone if that happens, ie, bigger events, established 'name' DJ's, bigger venues etc.

Ho hum.....

Social source share

:lol::yes:

Doing The Grand in Clitheroe tomorrow

It's a true all dayer, starting at 3pm and finishing at 8pm

Have been to 4 out the last 5 and it's always been packed

Call in for summat to eat on the way home and get home in time for Match of the Day 2 too wink.gif

A good way to end the week if you ask me :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

HI STEVE,

There are many different opinions on this one and the interpretation of what the sunday sessions offer.

Agree with Tony that the original idea of all dayers on sunday should be advertised as a proper dayer from 2-12pm, although many current sunday soul events are advertised as Sunday Afternoon Soul Sessions usually running from 2-8pm which is ideal.

However i dont agree that they are a waste of time as they are a great alternative to watching sport on the telly, arguing with your other half who wants to catch up on the soaps or falling asleep on the settee. It certainly beats watching Leigh Centurions trying to play rugby!!!:lol::yes::lol: .

Kevh you really need to go to a few different sunday afternoon sessions to make an objective and informed opinion as its no good summising what they might be.

After a northern night on a friday, across the board night on saturday then the perfect end to the weekend is a chillout/70s and crossover afternoon on a sunday. There is usually no politics,complaints about the music and its a bloody good social. The best afternoon sessions are those that are free as that is another element that puts no pressure on promotors for the event to be successful.

The Horse and Groom-Doncaster, Carlton Club-Rothwell.Leeds, are the ones i visit and for the people that go its all about the music,hearing something different and social ambience that these events give.

regards ROY

CARLTON CLUB, CARLTON. ROTHWELL. LEEDS LS26. Sunday FEBRUARY 27th Guests Mick Burnett and Blake Helliwell- YORK

Social source share

You know I can think of nothing better than to meet up down my local pub take a box of tunes and just share ... not to make money just to share what you have bought , or things that get missed on the general floor ? what you think might work in the future, or that maybe wont work becuase they are slow but are still good all the same , perhaps have a bar meal ?

To not have the pressure of getting people to dance , just basically lend me your ears over a pint or two .... brilliant and if you wanna dance go for it.

To me that is a sunday chill session , and for me you can get to hear some true gems . After a heavy weekend they would be the icing on the cake.

Why not ? I don't have a lawn to mow or weeds to pull or a car to wash :thumbsup:

Now the other type of session that extends what has happened and friday and saturday..... Not really Its the come down day for me you see ... Don't mind attending one of these now and then , but they wouldn't hold me every sunday .... A collectors chill out session would though if it was close.

So come on who is going to do one in Town on a sunday :lol:

Social source share

You know I can think of nothing better than to meet up down my local pub take a box of tunes and just share ... not to make money just to share what you have bought , or things that get missed on the general floor ? what you think might work in the future, or that maybe wont work becuase they are slow but are still good all the same , perhaps have a bar meal ?

To not have the pressure of getting people to dance , just basically lend me your ears over a pint or two .... brilliant and if you wanna dance go for it.

To me that is a sunday chill session , and for me you can get to hear some true gems . After a heavy weekend they would be the icing on the cake.

Carms.... you've actually just given the best description of what the Horse & Groom (Doncaster) Sunday sessions are :lol: ....

So get yourself over with Nige to one of them.... plus it'll also be nice to share a beer (or three) with him as I've not done that in a while :thumbsup: ....

Social source share

I'll see if I can persuade him :lol: because that sounds cool to me :thumbsup: Doncaster is not that far is it ?

Carms.... you've actually just given the best description of what the Horse & Groom (Doncaster) Sunday sessions are :lol: ....

So get yourself over with Nige to one of them.... plus it'll also be nice to share a beer (or three) with him as I've not done that in a while :lol: ....

Social source share

i have wanted to do a sunday just now and again because i felt squeezed out with the friday n saterday nights just too many on, but it looks like some promotors want it all ,

for me the odd sunday afternoon feels a lot less pressure and i dont feel like im competeing against other events . sadly thats whats driven me away from soul nights their now mainly about numbers ect' its not about the music anymore its a bloody competition . how many people a dj brings ect ect need i say more :thumbsup:

Edited by steptoe
Social source share

i know this should probably be in all our yesterdays, but from that perspective the interest in sundays is nothing new. in the 70's and 80's all dayers were both popular and important in furthering the scene's developement and were a perfect alternative to mind and body shattering all-nighters. i remember frequenting birmingham locarno when chris king & terry samson ran it...before that it was a west midland soul club event. i also went to tiffany's newcastle-under-lyme, a mecca venue which was always heaving.by no means are those two isolated cases, infact tiffs ran a successful sundayevening session in the bali hai room, downstairs with soul sam, pep and colin curtis. lots of local pubs put on sunday nights as well, but most of you will be able to recount such incidences. having to contend with getting up for work the next day, was and more than likely, still is the problem, especially when you're shattered from wearing out the dancefloor!:thumbsup: . i suppose if you have to put your finger on the precise reason that sunday is being looked at as a more viable proposition, isbecause the calender is so cluttered on fridays and saturdays....claustrofobic even.....step outside of THAT room and sunday is suddenly a breath of fresh air and there's space to put something on. of course its a case then, of how much money there is to go round as every promoter wants his/her hand in your pocket. catch 22 then?, good and bad at the same time?.

one thing is for certain as mike stated, sunday is being viewed more seriously and as a result the weekend will be milked even more viciously.

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

As been stated sundays are nothin new there was a dayer practicaly every week in manchester area in the late 70s.Personaly i like sunday afternoon sessions especialy in summer when the footie season finishes.

Social source share

We decided to do alldayers on bank hoiliday Sundays cos at the time wasn`t much going on in the London area(i`m sure someone will differ from that).

We are into our 4th year now so long may it continue :thumbsup: .

I think the reason why Sundays work is:

1/We are all getting older,can`t hack late nights anymore.Sunday is more mellow.

2/More people working on Saturdays now so kinda tricky to go out on Fri/Sat.

3/Easier to get child care etc on a Sunday than Fri/Sat.

4/Musically you can more open minded like already mentioned cos venue/pub is smaller/small dancefloor etc.

Social source share

A Taste Of Honey at The Hellfire Club in Manchester runs about four times a year on a Sunday. A really great day, from 2pm to last orders, in the most bizarre venue you have ever seen :thumbsup:

It's a really social thing though, no pressure on the DJs to fill the floor, loads of mates, a real mixture of music, and a real mixture of DJs. There are quite a few playlists from the last one here

Social source share

i agree dayers arnt anything new but then again in those days there wasn't anything like the amount of soul nights or wknders nighters ect' and thats realy the debate here i think..

Myself, Mouse (from Bradford) and I think Kegsy might have been there too went to the first all-dayer at the Blackpool Mecca and that was way back. Total disaster by the way about half a dozen of us there!

Social source share

Good on yer,

Used to be a Sunday Night do in Heywood, a few years back, with the likes of

Tony Mac, StevieZ and Carl Willingham spinning a few.

Boring it was Not!!

Tony

Yes Tony , there where good nights, I bet it was over 10 years ago now!

I have been to the Grand once, and yes it was packed and it is a nice place,but 8.00pm finish is not really my bag.

It's hard to switch off so early, plus we got out of the habit of going out on Sundays.

Social source share

i agree dayers arnt anything new but then again in those days there wasn't anything like the amount of soul nights or wknders nighters ect' and thats realy the debate here i think..

I have to disagree with part of what you say, you are right about the all-nighters and there was no weekenders.

There where far more soul nights, there where do's on seven nights a week every week (week in -week - out) in the mid 70s.:D

In the north-west there was and a lot of nghts even during the week you had a choice of where to go.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

:lol: :lol:

HI STEVE,

There are many different opinions on this one and the interpretation of what the sunday sessions offer.

Agree with Tony that the original idea of all dayers on sunday should be advertised as a proper dayer from 2-12pm, although many current sunday soul events are advertised as Sunday Afternoon Soul Sessions usually running from 2-8pm which is ideal.

However i dont agree that they are a waste of time as they are a great alternative to watching sport on the telly, arguing with your other half who wants to catch up on the soaps or falling asleep on the settee. It certainly beats watching Leigh Centurions trying to play rugby!!!:no::yes::no: .

Kevh you really need to go to a few different sunday afternoon sessions to make an objective and informed opinion as its no good summising what they might be.

After a northern night on a friday, across the board night on saturday then the perfect end to the weekend is a chillout/70s and crossover afternoon on a sunday. There is usually no politics,complaints about the music and its a bloody good social. The best afternoon sessions are those that are free as that is another element that puts no pressure on promotors for the event to be successful.

The Horse and Groom-Doncaster, Carlton Club-Rothwell.Leeds, are the ones i visit and for the people that go its all about the music,hearing something different and social ambience that these events give.

regards ROY

CARLTON CLUB, CARLTON. ROTHWELL. LEEDS LS26. Sunday FEBRUARY 27th Guests Mick Burnett and Blake Helliwell- YORK

Point taken Roy.:D

Social source share

I'll see if I can persuade him :no: because that sounds cool to me :D Doncaster is not that far is it ?

You'll both enjoy the day, honest Carms.... and no, Donny isn't that far (really)....

i know this should probably be in all our yesterdays, but from that perspective the interest in sundays is nothing new. in the 70's and 80's all dayers were both popular and important in furthering the scene's developement and were a perfect alternative to mind and body shattering all-nighters. i remember frequenting birmingham locarno when chris king & terry samson ran it...before that it was a west midland soul club event. i also went to tiffany's newcastle-under-lyme, a mecca venue which was always heaving.by no means are those two isolated cases, infact tiffs ran a successful sundayevening session in the bali hai room, downstairs with soul sam, pep and colin curtis. lots of local pubs put on sunday nights as well, but most of you will be able to recount such incidences. having to contend with getting up for work the next day, was and more than likely, still is the problem,

one thing is for certain as mike stated, sunday is being viewed more seriously and as a result the weekend will be milked even more viciously.

Yes, you're quite right.... lots of Sunday "alldayer" type venues happened.... but this isn't about them.... they were for us folk (younger back then) who didn't want the weekend to end and couldn't care sweet FA about being at work Monday.... this thread, as I understand it, is more about the "chillout" type events presently taking place.... a totally different concept and music policy to the traditional alldayer of yesteryear as described in the reply above....

Sadly though, again IMO, there are even a couple (or more) of these "traditional style" dayers popping up again now on the back of these current, successful, chillout soul sessions.... these, IMO, are purely aiming to "coin it in" for an extra day on what is already now a totally over saturated "oldies style" weekend of events....

There are, however, a few proper "chillout type" Sunday sessions taking place these days.... pick these out and experience them.... "soulfully satisfying" to say the least....

As been stated sundays are nothin new there was a dayer practicaly every week in manchester area in the late 70s.Personaly i like sunday afternoon sessions especialy in summer when the footie season finishes.

Andy.... yes there has always been events on Sundays as you say.... I know, I attended a fair few locally and afar.... but please refer back to my reply above to understand the difference as I see it these days in the type of event (to save me cutting and pasting it here)....

Overall.... in reply to Mike's original question....

"Sunday Events - A Rising Trend ?"....

I'd say a rising trend, yes, perhaps.... but deffinately a "new syle trend musically".... rather than jist being "another day to hear the same old same old" played out due to an overbearing oldies calendar....

Just an opinion, how I see it....

Soulfully.... Mark

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Trouble is mark you will always have people cashing in thinking they can make money,they are very mistaken belive me.These venues usualy disapear quite quickly though.And at the end of the day its not up to a few on ss to say who is and who isnt entitled to run a venue.Long time no see hope you are well :D.

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

Agree with Mark and Martin the Horse & Groom is utterly brilliant. Steve.

Totaly agree with previous comments. We run the Washington in Sheffield between the Horse & Groom bimonthly events, and they work very well too. We get around 50 or so regularly. There's no charge, the DJs play what they want and the atmosphere is generally laid back with the odd skirmish on the dancefloor if anybody feels like it.

Interestingly, the Washington would otherwise be closed on a Sunday afternoon, so the owners are well chuffed with us. There are no losers, it seems.

The problem with Sundays is that most people work Monday, so staying out till midnight or whatever isn't an option. We have found that an 8.00pm close suits most of our people very well. We could extend, but I don't think there's the demand.

Cheers

John

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert