Mel Britt

• Replies 18
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi all, can somebody solve an argument for me. Where was Mel britt first played, by whom, and when. Many thanks

by John boy walton at 9-45am in his sitting room in alabama the day it got released :hatsoff2:

if not probably the local radio dj who name slips me mind right now Harry biggrin.gif

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

Ian- It was Ian Levine. I was at is house the day he was back from a US trip. I think it was

between Feb and May 74. It could have been the same trip that unearthed James Fountain, Voices of East Harlem etc etc.

It was IL who was " responsible " for Mel Britt as you state Kev .

Not exactly sure when he first played it at THR : it was either late spring or the early summer of 1974 , so that would mean by your time line make it the spring of 1974 .

Would I be correct in recalling that The Montclairs were also " part " of that same trip ?

Malc

Social source share

Guest DaveSwift

Ian Levine started playing it in 75 i first heard it at Sale Mecca on a Thursday night . Other records played around same time

where Ann Byers - That man Is rated X , Bits an Pieces - Keep On running Away, Theres Got To Be a Love Somewhere

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

GOOD GUESS,

I RECKON WHITCHURCH ALL DAYER-cant give you the exact time yet- but he also played a: @you dont love me(aka mosses smith)@ cover and 'my hearts wide open@ freddie jones(cover for Coasters)- and then tried to play @pick up the pieces@ cover? uncover? cricket? NO!

dont think he had the confidence to go straight to the MECCA in those days...........Nice Lad

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

news, like the sort of news that filtered through the grapevine that concluded when were these records are to be played etc etc.

these were all parts of the quest for more!! the quest to hear the 'newest of the new'

Not to be there was considered 'lightweight' (or 'whatever young men think in such circumstances' (prob: whimp))

but at least Hard Core devotees did travel-and were rewarded with -Epitome of Sound---that particular day

GOOD GUESS,

I RECKON WHITCHURCH ALL DAYER-cant give you the exact time yet- but he also played a: @you dont love me(aka mosses smith)@ cover and 'my hearts wide open@ freddie jones(cover for Coasters)- and then tried to play @pick up the pieces@ cover? uncover? cricket? NO!

dont think he had the confidence to go straight to the MECCA in those days...........Nice Lad

Social source share

GOOD GUESS,

......and still he does not get half the credit he deserves. Imagine someone dropping three tracks like that in one session these days!

Social source share

That's all pretty relative. One didn't have to be at Sale Mecca or the Whitchurch All-Dayer to hear the newest of the new (another take on the rarest of the rare?). We in the Peterborough area were fortunate enough to have Kings Lynn a stone's throw away and also DJs/collectors that were on equally good terms with JA. The case of Billy Woods springs to mind. That was first heard simultaneously in the North and East Anglia as one copy actually ended up in Peterborough. Exciting times though!

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

i dont know where it was first played, but believe me it was an amazing sight to see his face when 100 englishmen sang it in front of him in detroit. i asked him if he really wanted her to come back, he just smiled...........btw does anyone have this on video.

Social source share

Remember first hearing it at Wigan 1974...dont recall it being played first at Mecca :D

Considering Ian Levine discovered it, see earlier thread, it was played at the Mecca first.

In response to turntableterra:

Glad you liked the Mel Britt appearance. Picking him up at the motorway services was neat eh?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert