Playing Funk Records At Soul Venues

Headsy

I like this too .........experts - my love is real - TAG LTD

But to my ear this isn't funk :thumbsup: its just something very different to what we are used to hearing , which leads to go full circle , try to avoid tagging anything in the future . We have this argument with some R&B sounds that for some are soul for others R&B.

Just judge the sound on its unique quality as I am doing with Carrie Cleveland at the moment and that bloody contraption thats under shadowing her brilliant vocal...which i bet Rolf Harris loves , I am growing to accept its flaws because the lady singing and the lyrics a\re the main event for me.

Martin from Hull recentely introduced us to a sound called Destiation Unknown by Chris Jones which a good example of which tag do you give it ?

Half the problem is our expectations are sooooooooooo high and because it is a wide playing field now we have difficulty placing the sound in a specific box .

Now this is very funky ....anyone play Bad Sam - Chuck Bridges .....awesome hamonica late on too !

Edited by Carms
Social source share

Guest wrighty

My next question is are there any decent funk compilations out there ?

you could do a lot worse than trawl thru here carms if you've got a bit of time on your hands :thumbsup:

Social source share

agree with carms dont think the experts is funk at all...been playing it for a while now and the b side is a killer too "big mama ...shing a loo and boogaling" with those keyboards more mod/boogaloo/northern if i HAD to pigeon hole it,which i obviously cant !...just goes to show at the end of the day we all hear things different...and a good thing too !:thumbsup:

dean

Social source share

https://www.soul-sour...funky-soul-mix/

Great thread! This is an old mix, but with varied tunes on it that all have a so called funk edge. I like em all!

Liked these as well, don't understand this when I was younger I had no time for funk in general, although the stuff I heard was a lot harder edged, this is almost like having a new definition for crossover. I guess open mindedness is the key :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Lobster Madras

you could do a lot worse than trawl thru here carms if you've got a bit of time on your hands :thumbsup:

There's a couple of Sister Funk Lp's that deserve a listen too, eh mate ? rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Another funky northern track thats just my style

experts - my love is real - TAG LTD

Brilliant, as others have said, I don't find it funky as such and don't really understand how it's getting categorised as funk? When I was younger I used to go to the Calais in Dunstable, on occasion I'd venture into the Devils Den, whilst I never stayed long, my underlying memory is track after track in a James Brown style being played, so I guess I started seeing that as funk, this thread is helping redefine my thoughts, but still moving me toward thinking of it all as soul music.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Liked these as well, don't understand this when I was younger I had no time for funk in general, although the stuff I heard was a lot harder edged, this is almost like having a new definition for crossover. I guess open mindedness is the key :thumbsup:

:lol:

Social source share

Guest wrighty

There's a couple of Sister Funk Lp's that deserve a listen too, eh mate ? rolleyes.gif

indeed russ :lol: and dont forget all of kebs deep funk and funk spectrums, plus the whole sound of funk series (10 volumes?)...i wonder who put those out :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

why cant we all just like the same 500 tunes life would be a lot less complicated :thumbsup:

We do, it's called an oldies night

Social source share

give him a name later - don't you know baby - strakers biggrin.gif

You should cover that up Ken.

Here's some proper NS funk for you.Sorry mods in advance,only soundclip i can get...

Ricky Hodges - Dont blow no more - Clevetown

https://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/29947

Click pop up player at top of page,drag player to 36.25 secs and Bob's your Auntie....:thumbsup: Thanks to Finewine..:lol:

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Guest Lobster Madras

I think there's another CD called 'Rustler Presents......' or something like that ph34r.gif

by the way you don't have a spare of the 'Sister Funk' vol 1 by chance do you Ian?

Yes, Val... I seem to remember that one, " Because your'e funky "......shame the wrong side of Black on White affair was featured

Ian , I need one of those Sister Funk Vol 1 spare single vinyls too, you mentioned ages ago .. a mate sat on mine ohmy.gif

Social source share

Guest Lobster Madras

",by the way you don't have a spare of the 'Sister Funk' vol 1 by chance do you Ian? ."

I lost my copy of this years ago and can't find another in the shops / online anywhere!

Seem to recall the vinyl was 1000 only ?sad.gif

Social source share

Guest wrighty

I think there's another CD called 'Rustler Presents......' or something like that ph34r.gif

by the way you don't have a spare of the 'Sister Funk' vol 1 by chance do you Ian?

fraid not val, i stupidly didnt keep any at all at the time and now you cant find em for love nor money, even my own copy has a cracked case :thumbsup: still got bundles of sister funk 2 tho, cant give the buggers away :lol:

Social source share

fraid not val, i stupidly didnt keep any at all at the time and now you cant find em for love nor money, even my own copy has a cracked case :thumbsup: still got bundles of sister funk 2 tho, cant give the buggers away :lol:

first thing I do with any CD is throw away the annoying case and put CD and booklet into a plastic wallet. Tsake up so much less room and easier to carry around.

Social source share

Now this is very funky ....anyone play Bad Sam - Chuck Bridges .....awesome hamonica late on too !

Hi Carms,

Hope all is good with you? I played 'Bad Sam' at the recent Gloucester all-nighter in the Ton Of Dynamite room.......think you were sat about 10 metres away at the time, though I'm not 100% sure I played it in my early set anf not my later set and you'd headed home by then.

As for the general topic/discussion I think Dr. Pickles has summed up things perfectly :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Adam , I am dandy mate ..... I think I missed it . I was too busy talking , jibber jibber lol , yes I can see you playing it as you are very adventurous :D I have found its a grower .My initial reaction was this is vey different , it was the harmonica break that luuuuuuuured me in lol , one of the hairy three" put us onto it you know Johnny Beggs :thumbsup:

Sorry I missed most of what was played that night as I was downstairs supporting my Maaaaaayne :lol:

Carms

x

Hi Carms,

Hope all is good with you? I played 'Bad Sam' at the recent Gloucester all-nighter in the Ton Of Dynamite room.......think you were sat about 10 metres away at the time, though I'm not 100% sure I played it in my early set anf not my later set and you'd headed home by then.

As for the general topic/discussion I think Dr. Pickles has summed up things perfectly :thumbsup:

Social source share

I just watched a great dvd of the Leicester Oddfellows nighter (with dance comp) from 1984 and its great to see not only the superb dancers, but the WIDE variety of music played during the night, including some funk!! I am constantly amazed that people dont seem to remember that it was always played at nighters or in rooms attached to certain venues (like Cleethorpes, Blackpool, Palais etc). It was nice to see the dvd just to remind myself that i wasn't imagining it! So why the big debate now? Why all the fuss?

I recommend watching this dvd to remind yourselves of how we ALL used to fill a floor and tolerate, appreciate and dance to a wide variety of music. Its not a present day Northern scene phenomenon...:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest lotusland

I think you'll find the funk DJs in the USA have been getting much more soul-oriented at the same time that , from what I hear, the northern scene over there has been incorporating more funk-tinged things, so seems like a bit of a global trend that is likely to meet in the middle somewhere. I guess that the 20- and 30-somethings in the scenes now grew up with funkier club music (rap, etc) and are more comfortable dancing to records that are rhythmically based off that. Of course you could also say the 4-on-the-floor sound of techno/rave/house stuff that we also grew up with could acclimate them to more typical Detroit style northern.

You only need to look at closed auctions on ebay to see that many, if not most, of the really consistently big records (Ellipsis would be a great example, Billy Byrd, - not to mention the great funk tunes w/ soul vocals like Herman Hitson on Sweet Rose etc..) have a bit of both styles going on in them. Regardless, the US scene these days (which is all I can really speak of with any authority) has been seamlessly mixing funk and more northern-y things for years and the crowds go for both, many times flipping back in forth in style from track-to-track. We also don't really have that 'box step' dance here much, maybe that's a big factor?

Also, that Ebonystic track on Scream would be a great example of one that is right on the edge of both scenes.

Social source share

I think you'll find the funk DJs in the USA have been getting much more soul-oriented at the same time that , from what I hear, the northern scene over there has been incorporating more funk-tinged things, so seems like a bit of a global trend that is likely to meet in the middle somewhere. I guess that the 20- and 30-somethings in the scenes now grew up with funkier club music (rap, etc) and are more comfortable dancing to records that are rhythmically based off that. Of course you could also say the 4-on-the-floor sound of techno/rave/house stuff that we also grew up with could acclimate them to more typical Detroit style northern.

You only need to look at closed auctions on ebay to see that many, if not most, of the really consistently big records (Ellipsis would be a great example, Billy Byrd, - not to mention the great funk tunes w/ soul vocals like Herman Hitson on Sweet Rose etc..) have a bit of both styles going on in them. Regardless, the US scene these days (which is all I can really speak of with any authority) has been seamlessly mixing funk and more northern-y things for years and the crowds go for both, many times flipping back in forth in style from track-to-track. We also don't really have that 'box step' dance here much, maybe that's a big factor?

Also, that Ebonystic track on Scream would be a great example of one that is right on the edge of both scenes.

some very good points made...most of which will also apply to the continental european Rare Soul scene I would say :lol: .

Social source share

This topic is difficult because people obviously have different ideas about what a funk track is. Then it's complicated further by records which have elements of funk but are still close to traditional soul styles.

Some aren't really funk or soul, they're a mixture of both.

Personally, I wouldn't class 'It Really Hurts Me Girl' as funky, just because it has a more syncopated rhythm and prominent hi-hats.

And what about tracks such 'Wrong Crowd', 'Before 2001', 'Tow-A-Way Zone', 'I Need You', 'I Don't Know What Foot To Dance On', 'Where Is The Love', 'I'm Coming Home In The Morning', 'Seven Day Lover', 'So Is The Sun' etc? They all have funky rhythm patterns or funky bass lines or whatever but they're still soul tracks in my opinion - and some can still be considered 'northern soul'.

I can appreciate that some 'northern soul' fans don't want to hear too many funky tracks at a 'northern soul' event but it really boils down to each person's idea of what funk is.

We could have the same debate about 'modern soul' and disco. Lots of 'modern soul' tracks are disco so where do you draw the line? For example, I heard a 'modern soul' track recently which sounded like a cheap impersonation of Earth Wind & Fire when they were at their worst.

It wasn't quite as bad as 'Boogie Wonderland' but it's a very thin line.

:lol:

Social source share

This topic is difficult because people obviously have different ideas about what a funk track is. Then it's complicated further by records which have elements of funk but are still close to traditional soul styles.

Some aren't really funk or soul, they're a mixture of both.

Personally, I wouldn't class 'It Really Hurts Me Girl' as funky, just because it has a more syncopated rhythm and prominent hi-hats.

And what about tracks such 'Wrong Crowd', 'Before 2001', 'Tow-A-Way Zone', 'I Need You', 'I Don't Know What Foot To Dance On', 'Where Is The Love', 'I'm Coming Home In The Morning', 'Seven Day Lover', 'So Is The Sun' etc? They all have funky rhythm patterns or funky bass lines or whatever but they're still soul tracks in my opinion - and some can still be considered 'northern soul'.

I can appreciate that some 'northern soul' fans don't want to hear too many funky tracks at a 'northern soul' event but it really boils down to each person's idea of what funk is.

We could have the same debate about 'modern soul' and disco. Lots of 'modern soul' tracks are disco so where do you draw the line? For example, I heard a 'modern soul' track recently which sounded like a cheap impersonation of Earth Wind & Fire when they were at their worst.

It wasn't quite as bad as 'Boogie Wonderland' but it's a very thin line.

smile.gif

The thing is about "Towaway Zone" is its brilliant ,but hard to dance to,even 30 years on!!.Whereas "I need you" sounds as fresh as ever,and could fill a floor anywhere."Wrong crowd" seems to be a revival tune atm.Just right for now.

"I dont know ect" to me sounds a bit disco-y nowadays,generally agree though re:James Fountain,Lou Pride.:lol:

Social source share

Guest aintgotit

im just wondering if keb,s on here to ask him, where did he first here the fast 100 mile an hour funk he found a mine of as he dug a bit deeper. the first place i heard it was at an allnighter.

Social source share

Funks a strange Genre, before I got to know the Sydney soul sisters, and their Friday night show in the 2004, specifically Miss Goldie, i'd have pretty much said I hate Funk, and the type of Funk that I assumed would be the staple of that scene, I still feel the same way about...that said I was lucky to hear records like the below which are up there in my top 50 and all that.. If I hear any of the following at a do, which is unlikely...

"I'll get back with you, I'm DIRECT to the Dane floor!!!"

Rhythm Machine / Rodan,

Frankie And The Damons - Bad Woman,

The L.A Carnival - Blind Man,

Eunice Collins - At The Hotel

Third Flight - Third Flight,

The Caprells with The Sul Brothers Band - Close Your Eyes,

The Ascots - The Graveyard Creep

Della Reese - It Was a very Good Year,

Eugene Blacknell & The Savonics - Jump Back,

James Reese & The Progressions - Let's Go (It's Summertime),

Rev Jamel & Bob Johnson - Did you See Those Men

Billy Wade & The 3rd Degrees - Tear it up

Its all GOOD!!thumbsup.gif

Mal.C.

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Here's one that crosses both scenes, The West Coast Distributors - Girl I love you, call it what the F*** you like, ITS BRILLIANT, period...hatsoff2.gifFlip of Mixed Emotions - Gold of My Life is good and all, 'Can you Feel the Funk' and Eddie Bo - Whatch Gonna Do / Seven B is another Killer... check the girly backing on this, its dripping something... Some others that need mentioning, Nu Sound Express - Ain't It Good Enough For You

The Interpretations - Jason Pew Mosso, for the beginning where he introduces himself, and the classic Roy Ayers - Running Away, Fred Wesley & The JB's - Blow Your Head..

I'd love a night where I could hear all the best Northern, all of the above finished of with this lot..

Meat Beat Manifesto - Radio Babylon

Black Science Orchestra New jersey deep

Force Legato - System

Renegade Soundwave - Thunder

Liaisons D - Future F.J.P.

Pret A Porter - Mystere De L'Amour

Robin Wants Revenge - Robin Wants Revenge

New Scene - Out Of Control

Dirty Mind - The Killer

Man Machine - Denkimi-Shakuhachi

Masters of the Universe- Space Talk

CHRIS REA "Josephine"

Izit - Stories

Kamera - Back In The Time

Forgemasters -Track With No Name

Ten City all of em...

Mory Kante - Yeke Yeke

Wood Allen - Airport 89

and every great track Renegade Soundwave ever made!!

WHEY HEY!!!

M

Edited by Mal.C.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's one that crosses both scenes, The West Coast Distributors - Girl I love you, call it what the F*** you like, ITS BRILLIANT, period...hatsoff2.gifFlip of Mixed Emotions - Gold of My Life is good and all, 'Can you Feel the Funk' and Eddie Bo - Whatch Gonna Do / Seven B is another Killer... check the girly backing on this, its dripping something... Some others that need mentioning, Nu Sound Express - Ain't It Good Enough For You

The Interpretations - Jason Pew Mosso, for the beginning where he introduces himself, and the classic Roy Ayers - Running Away, Fred Wesley & The JB's - Blow Your Head..

I'd love a night where I could hear all the best Northern, all of the above finished of with this lot..

Meat Beat Manifesto - Radio Babylon

Black Science Orchestra New jersey deep

Force Legato - System

Renegade Soundwave - Thunder

Liaisons D - Future F.J.P.

Pret A Porter - Mystere De L'Amour

Robin Wants Revenge - Robin Wants Revenge

New Scene - Out Of Control

Dirty Mind - The Killer

Man Machine - Denkimi-Shakuhachi

Masters of the Universe- Space Talk

CHRIS REA "Josephine"

Izit - Stories

Kamera - Back In The Time

Forgemasters -Track With No Name

Ten City all of em...

Mory Kante - Yeke Yeke

Wood Allen - Airport 89

and every great track Renegade Soundwave ever made!!

WHEY HEY!!!

M

Think I own all of the above mate, quit northern for the Hac and Shelly's in 89, and for the diserning listener all of the above were essential. heard morales kick his set of with the man machine track in 91.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Shellys, Lazer Dome on a Friday was run by a mate of mine, Martin Red, and was frequented in the main by the Midlands crowd, Saturday night was a Manchester night... which I assume would be the night you went up?

Just pulled out Landlord, Physco Team, Acts of Madmen, Plez or Mars Bar as we used to call it....Doug Lazy...

Some brilliant music got released in those few short years, come 92 I'd had enough and back onto northern I went...

still need Reese - Rock to the Beat..rolleyes.gif

M

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Very Nice!

I was ear-battering people this weekend about the funky stuff. I think the 'beat' is quite sexual :lol: Or maybe it's just 'cos it's been a while laugh.gif

Social source share

Think George played Underground Express in his spot last night.:lol:

Yes, although for me it was more of an Underpant Mess laugh.gif Mighty fine set in its entirety thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Shellys, Lazer Dome on a Friday was run by a mate of mine, Martin Red, and was frequented in the main by the Midlands crowd, Saturday night was a Manchester night... which I assume would be the night you went up?

Just pulled out Landlord, Physco Team, Acts of Madmen, Plez or Mars Bar as we used to call it....Doug Lazy...

Some brilliant music got released in those few short years, come 92 I'd had enough and back onto northern I went...

still need Reese - Rock to the Beat..rolleyes.gif

M

Stick to Liza Malc....You don't need" the force"......You need the Soul mate!

Social source share

Good call Paul. There's 'FUNK' and there's 'Funky!' - both are different... but not easy to explain!

:0)

Sean

That is a good shout Sean.....and whilst I'm not averse to any "sub genres" within "Our musical arena".....sometimes an overdose of something that "I" deem as banal personally, almost becomes an agitation!

Each to their own I know.....but recently heard a set that I wished i'd taken up smoking again :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!