Playing Funk Records At Soul Venues

Headsy

Guest Ollie Lailey

crow - your autumn - inner ear

This is out and out funk that seems to be accepted on the northern scene.

I like the funkier edged soul or late 60's early 70's funk as long as that what it is. Not Parliment or Bootsy Collins type stuff.

Social source share

The northern soul scene has got to progress somehow. The punters, records and media are getting older and older as each year passes by. Even "Hit and Run" is 45 years old now! It's amazing the scene has survived this long and it ain't going to survive much longer if it doesn't continue to evolve. Playing the funky type tunes is a good thing imo.

Loleatta Holloway or Rose Batiste? got them both

Social source share

Rose Batiste. Yes Pete, it's one of the all time greats but I just use it as an example that even the most fantastic records eventually wear with time. To hear something a bit different is good. Maybe these funky type tunes don't fit in with the typical northern soul beat but there's been plently of exceptions over the years. At least it's moving forward a bit in time! :rolleyes:

Social source share

I thought that would be a trifle heavy lol Soooooooooooo back to the best stuff IMHO for you Peggy and closet funkstars:

Jarvis Jackson - The Long Dog - SIMS

Curtis Ballard - Everybody Likes What I Got - Curtis Ballard Records

and just to prove I still groove Northern:

Johnny Wyatt - Everybody Is Going Mod - Bronco

I like them, but they're vastly different in style, the second one, for me, would be too funky, I'm used to my northern sounding smoothish :thumbsup: The first two you put up would both suit the northern scene IMO all good records though :rolleyes:

Hope ya'll like em

Social source share

Rose Batiste. Yes Pete, it's one of the all time greats but I just use it as an example that even the most fantastic records eventually wear with time. To hear something a bit different is good. Maybe these funky type tunes don't fit in with the typical northern soul beat but there's been plently of exceptions over the years. At least it's moving forward a bit in time! :rolleyes:

Sorry, have to disagree, I wouldn't want to hear Rose Batiste every week but hearing it once every 6 months would remind me how great it is and how nondescript some of these emperors new clothes records really are. It has the power to blow almost anything away in a one-to-one contest therefore it was a really good example.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The classics are not to be repeated!!! The set in stone classics will remain so.!!!!.But,its been said on here funky stuff as always been played on the scene,right from the beginnings.

I'd love a quid for everytime someone has said to me "Can you imagine how Manifesto(insert any funky sounding oldie) would sound now,for the first time.?".

Headsy's right to worry though.The funky NS has got to be just that.NS with a funky twist.Still keeping that ethos at the heart.

Tweak the sound too far one way and it becomes deep funk or even,heaven forbid disco,if the beat becomes too dancy.

That's when the venue and the music doesn't resemble the core that NS scene was built on, it becomes another beast entirely.

Social source share

here is one to stir things up a bit,

who else thinks that all this interest in funk/northern is gonna be a problem for the ''soul scene'' in 5 years time ?

I mean,are we not just recycling another scenes music and trying to make it our own ?

if I want to hear funk records I would go to a funk night...........I go to soul venues to hear soul records,

not saying its all bad,just that I see we are starting to lose the plot a bit in order to try and play something different when we have not exhausted all the play time of soul records yet,and it can only get worse.

just my opinion of course..........but my mates agreed with me on saturday :thumbsup:

Can't say a few Funk records getting played being a problem for the Northern scene. End of the day all the Northern scene has done over the years is to steal music from other genres anyway.

In fact the only music that don't get played on the Northern scene is taylor made Northern (OK I know a few have scraped through but that just backs up my point).

For me the future would be brighter if we just simplified things and changed our expectation for something to be soulful rather than having to define it as a specific genre..... that mind set opens all the doors even slower ones :thumbsup:

Nail, head, hit.

If it's Soulful just play, listen, dance, enjoy.

Off now to listen to a bit of Soulful House & then maybe a bit of Soulful Reggae.

Social source share

Funk has been played on the scene (on and off) for decades, its nothing new, look at all the stuff played at the Blackpool Mecca, Cleethorpes etc etc. Long may it last I say, great music.

Ste.

spot on ! says it all ... if it fits in with the "northern soul" dance culture then thats fine ! :thumbsup:

pete n' susan ktf

Social source share

Guest FunKPunK

If anyone wants a perview of a couple sets from myself and Trevoe Bond check out this work in progress podcast. Ignore the fake track listings but if you need any titles lemme know. Myself and Trev will be appearing live on radio commenting on these tracks in a couple weeks for SubCity radio. https://www.subcity.org/shows/thefunkycuts/

Here's the preview:

https://postbocks.com/uploads/rialto_2

FunKPunK

Edited by FunKPunK
Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

I think I'm going to need to know what you mean by 'Funk' before I can comment.

Prince? Tower of Power? The Brecker Brothers? Lee Ritenour? James ***** Brown? The Lost Family? Fela Kuti?

I've always maintained that funk is a feeling, not a genre, and as such I'd have no problem with Northern Soul funk, but I might just draw the line at funky C&W... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Lobster Madras

Well l (like l'm sure many others) bought this blind cos of all the free publicity given to it in Blues & Soul...Think there were only two releases on the label,the other was The Jelly Beans..if l remember correctly.... :thumbsup:

Fantastic Puzzles was the other one Webby....

Social source share

Title: funky soul mix BAZ A
Added by: baz atkinson on 22 Feb 2011  view all by baz atkinson

Artist: funky soul mix
Title: BAZ A
Type:audio
Value: n/a

Clip Info: Just got hold of a few from the record room of tracks ive seen on playlists over the years from 2003 onwards -some of the instrumental stuff would not go although a track like burning sphere played at Burnley would bring the house down imho !! love lots of funk and one/two deffo -alot talk about ghetto soul -thats just funkY soul folks and peoples fascination with labels etc!! Loads hass filtered through folks !!

carlos malcolm-final seconds-jesse potter-dayton sidewinders-reggie saddler-persuasions-sugar billy-young disciples-bobby patterson-otis jackson.
Social source share

Guest Neil Taylor

I prefer the tag FUNK EDGED SOUL MUSIC.(not northern,not deep funk,not disco,not rare groove,and not a bunch of honky`s trying to sound black).

I lean towards the political stuff of the mid sixties to the early seventies,music with a message about living in the ghetto and trying to survive under white surpression.Fuck songs about love ,and my babies left me.Give me Baby Huey-Hard times-Curtum for one example which is`nt funk,just hard edged soul music .

It`s personnel taste,there`s people who are out and out northern,modern,crossover,r&b types.who never venture out of there desired genre of musical taste.Me i call it all soul music, and i pick up the things i like and discard the stuff i dont.

It`s that easy,and that simple when it comes just under one tag.......SOUL MUSIC.

Social source share

Guest DaveSwift

Hi Steve

Carstairs was first played at Mecca end of 73 and shortly later played at Wigan and everywhere. Some liked it more than others but it didn't cause problems at the time. Divisions in the scene started late the following year when majority of Mecca playlist became 70s.

Regards

Dave

Social source share

Funk has always been played on the Northern Scene - it just depends on your definition of "funk"

To me records like "Baby Boy" - Fred Hughes, "There Was A Time" - Gene Chandler, "I'm Gone" - Eddie Parker, "I Can't Get Enough" - Johnny Sayles, "The Champion" - Willie Mitchell all have a "funky" edge.

Social source share

definition of Funk from wikipedia.......

Funk is a music genre that originated in the mid-late 1960s when African American musicians blended soul music, jazz and R&B into a rhythmic, danceable new form of music. Funk de-emphasizes melody and harmony and brings a strong rhythmic groove of electric bass and drums to the foreground. Funk songs are often based on an extended vamp on a single chord, distinguishing it from R&B and soul songs centered around chord progressions.

Like much African-inspired music, funk typically consists of a complex groove with rhythm instruments such as electric guitar, electric bass, Hammond organ, and drums playing interlocking rhythms. Funk bands sometimes have a horn section of several saxophones, trumpets, and in some cases, a trombone, which plays rhythmic "hits".

Many of the most famous bands in the genre also played disco and soul extensively. Funk music was a major influence on the development of disco music and afrobeat, and funk samples have been used extensively in genres including hip hop, house music and drum and bass. It is also the main influence of go-go, a subgenre associated with funk.

Social source share

Sorry, have to disagree, I wouldn't want to hear Rose Batiste every week but hearing it once every 6 months would remind me how great it is and how nondescript some of these emperors new clothes records really are. It has the power to blow almost anything away in a one-to-one contest therefore it was a really good example.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

so are we talking about out and out funk or 'funky' edged northern

is it just a question of taste....mmmm

funk (total out and out funk) is one thing

uptempo soul music with a 'funky' twist is another beast completely

dancefloor friendly, yes please

lets have some 'fun' for gods sake, if it works, play it and dance to it, if it doesnt, lets not

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Funk has always been played on the Northern Scene - it just depends on your definition of "funk"

To me records like "Baby Boy" - Fred Hughes, "There Was A Time" - Gene Chandler, "I'm Gone" - Eddie Parker, "I Can't Get Enough" - Johnny Sayles, "The Champion" - Willie Mitchell all have a "funky" edge.

I agree. I was just sitting here wondering why we all seem so keen to pigeonhole everything these days. Years ago it was all just northern soul. NS has never been a genre, so it's almost impossible in my opinion to say that anything can be excluded if it's got the right sound for a northern room, and I agree with Funkinsoul as well, at the end of the day they are pretty soulful, funk-edged soul and infectiously dancable.

In my opinion if it's got the right tempo and I can dance to it, in a northern soul stylee, it's northern soul to me. :thumbsup:

Social source share

lets have some 'fun' for gods sake, if it works, play it and dance to it, if it doesnt, lets not

and where does it say in the soul bible that FUN has to be had :thumbsup: shocking statement Andy what was you thinking :D

its a passion a hobby a way of life and for me it will always be FUN if not its time to hang up me anorak :D

:thumbsup:

Social source share

I agree. I was just sitting here wondering why we all seem so keen to pigeonhole everything these days. Years ago it was all just northern soul. NS has never been a genre, so it's almost impossible in my opinion to say that anything can be excluded if it's got the right sound for a northern room, and I agree with Funkinsoul as well, at the end of the day they are pretty soulful, funk-edged soul and infectiously dancable.

In my opinion if it's got the right tempo and I can dance to it, in a northern soul stylee, it's northern soul to me. :thumbsup:

and me :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

and where does it say in the soul bible that FUN has to be had :thumbsup: shocking statement Andy what was you thinking :D

its a passion a hobby a way of life and for me it will always be FUN if not its time to hang up me anorak :D

oh mr bear, you so damn right........owwwwwww take it to the bridge

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

That's the yardstick Andy, dancefloor friendly then yes.

Social source share

Soul and Funk are but two sides of the musical coin that is Boogaloo. A few years earlier and it all went under the catch-all term of Big Beat.

There are no clear lines that bisect the musical genres, and so many tracks infuse aspects of more than one style and cross over from one artificially constructed genre to another with great ease (remember that musical genres were propagated by music companies and retailers so that they could stack everything into nice sections and charge accordingly). The artists invariably have no problem with how their music is labelled or categorised, so why do punters obsess so? And I've yet to see any discussion or argument that has come anywhere near close to delineating in any meaningful way what Soul is or isn't.

As far as these type of discussions are concerned I'm reminded of the lyrics, "Let's go round again... one more time..."

Yawn... rolleyes.gif

Edited by rigilbert
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

its all a conspiracy

armageddon is upon us

war and famine in the east

funk and soul

the fall of democracy

floods and earthquakes

hold on to your hats my friends the day of reckoning is here

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

prefer crossover meself.........you know where you are with crossover,it,s kinda safe,like a cuddle from your nan all warm and lovely.......cushioned from the big bad funked up world :thumbsup: toby LaRohne

Social source share

I think the injection of the funk element is a good thing which should fuel the Northern scene's life span further . It generates interest and a different sound that i think compliments the northern various tune types out there. The tunes being played i find are hand picked based on their sound that fits into the scene. The majority of Djs out there that i have heard play these tunes have read the dance floor well and place it into their play list well on the night . This same principal applies to the Latin flavoured soul , Rn B , rare groove Jazz tinged tracks that have kept the listener interested for years .Personally the best nighters and soul nights i have enjoyed the most have had a hint of all these tune types being played.

Drawing lines across music types which are vague in the first place tends to result in a difference of opinion , great food for thought and a good topic for this site.

Lets hope it generates some more interest from the youth out there so they can realise what a great scene we have going .

Regards Frank Norwich Backsreet S.C.

Social source share

Soul and Funk are but two sides of the musical coin that is Boogaloo. A few years earlier and it all went under the catch-all term of Big Beat.

There are no clear lines that bisect the musical genres, and so many tracks infuse aspects of more than one style and cross over from one artificially constructed genre to another with great ease (remember that musical genres were propagated by music companies and retailers so that they could stack everything into nice sections and charge accordingly). The artists invariably have no problem with how their music is labelled or categorised, so why do punters obsess so? And I've yet to see any discussion or argument that has come anywhere near close to delineating in any meaningful way what Soul is or isn't.

As far as these type of discussions are concerned I'm reminded of the lyrics, "Let's go round again... one more time..."

Yawn... rolleyes.gif

top notch post :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest FunKPunK

Good to see this thread taking flight, if for nothing else than I get to post some tunes you may not be familiar with, Im enjoying funkifying Refosoul :thumbsup:

First off is one I chased for a year! 2 copies on the 'bay one of which is my one. A complete winner at the Soul Cellar in Glasgow (plug plug) and featured with the next post on our first give-away CD. It still enjoys plays in the last set when the vibe from the crowd demands it lol

Force - Holy Moses - Streaker

While this 2 header rocks out, features a kazoo on part 1 playing, if Im not mistaken - Popeye The Sailorman!! While only affording the one copy I get to shout out "Wait there's more" while flipping it on the decks for part 2 - DJin punk style lol

El Pooks - Psychedelic Soul part 1 and 2 - Orivious

Hope some of you like them, any comments on my posts - or even information regarding releases etc welcome.

Be Seeing You

FunKPunK

Social source share

Well l (like l'm sure many others) bought this blind cos of all the free publicity given to it in Blues & Soul...Think there were only two releases on the label,the other was The Jelly Beans..if l remember correctly.... :thumbsup:

Can count 7 releases off the top of my head, Webby.

I bought 'em all!

RO 101 The Crow - "Your Autumn Of Tomorrow"

RO 102 Jelly Beans - "You Don't Mean Me No Good"

RO 103 Sam Nesbitt - "Keep On Hustling Baby"

RO 104 Rozaa & Wine - "Disco Boogie Woman"

RO 105 Chris Bartley - "I See Your Name"

RO 106 Fantastic Puzzles - "Come Back"

RO 107 Sandra Phillips - "We Got Love"

A crackin label.

Sean

Social source share

I've read several comments where they say it's all Soul Music, it isn't, Funk isn't Soul and Soul isn't Funk. They might be part of a more all encompassing genre but they are not the same, there is musical differences. Might be same musicians, technicians, engineers etc but they are different.

Social source share

I've read several comments where they say it's all Soul Music, it isn't, Funk isn't Soul and Soul isn't Funk. They might be part of a more all encompassing genre but they are not the same, there is musical differences. Might be same musicians, technicians, engineers etc but they are different.

There have been so many different sounds to my ears in a Northern Soul room since i started going in 1981.. Who is say whats soul and what aint.. That debate will go on long after we have gone to that great dancefloor in the sky or surfing on the lakes of fire downstairs with columbian marching powder on tap :thumbsup:

As with so many other topics/ threads we go all round the houses and still come back to the same point... We all have our own take on the music..

The scene is healthy with many many nights to give all the flavours, you know your flavour, just find the place that taste best or at least eat in a place thats got a good menue with choices you like..

Social source share

knew you would get it Chalky :thumbsup::D:D

I don't get it, Chalky's comment presumes a universal definition for soul music, I've never seen a thread here or anywhere else that gives the difinitive explanation, how is funk music not encompassed by the word ''soul''? The northern scene has gone off on all sorts of tangents over the last 40 years R&B, crossover, modern etc, those elements aren't to everyone's taste, but they've been accepted, because in essense the northern scene wasn't/hasn't been/isn't restrictive.

Winnie :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!