paup-ine

• Replies 29
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Info taken from Dave Rimmas https://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/discographies.htm I guess the real thing is the first and did you ever go sready 2nd

Laurie 3301 - Nobody Knows What's Going On / The Real Thing* - 1965 *also recorded in 1965 by Betty Everett on Vee-Jay 683 and also in 1965 by Tina Britt on Eastern 45-604.

Laurie 3301 - Nobody Knows What's Going On / Did You Ever Go Steady - 1965

Social source share

Hello.

My name is David and I prefer the Tammy St.John version.

Thank you.

sweatingbullets.gif

sorry to hear of your problem David. Hopefully you will overcome your affliction and common sense will prevail once more .... and then you wiill come to the right conclusion that the Chiffons is by far the superior version :hatsoff2:

I wish you all the best on your recovery :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Thanks for your message of support, Mike, but I fear I may be a hopeless case.

You see, on watching the YouTube clip of the Chiffons performing their rendition, my original thoughts were supported as in the lead vocalist gives it zero enthusiasm or emotion, and the backing ladies girl-groupify (!) it up to make the NS level drop. Tammy however, belts it out with attitude over a full-on backing track. Game over.

What say you, paup-ine?!

Adieu!

:rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Thanks for your message of support, Mike, but I fear I may be a hopeless case.

You see, on watching the YouTube clip of the Chiffons performing their rendition, my original thoughts were supported as in the lead vocalist gives it zero enthusiasm or emotion, and the backing ladies girl-groupify (!) it up to make the NS level drop. Tammy however, belts it out with attitude over a full-on backing track. Game over.

Now then, Mr Flynn -

I love Tammy, and I think that her version of the Shirelles' "Boys" is the absolute nuts, but - even though I own both records - I'm not having it that her version of NKWGOIMMBM is better than the Chiffons.

I'm just not, I'm sorry. You're comparing Vimto to a vintage port...

Social source share

I'm just not, I'm sorry. You're comparing Vimto to a vintage port...

Alas, your argument does not hold water, as you consider Jerry Ganey to be superior to Chris Morgan...I mean really, come on!

I fear the port has addled your brain...please stick to Vimto in the future...damn...you had to mention Vimto didn't you...I can't get it over here and now have a craving for a can of the magically chemical tasting brew!

Social source share

Alas, your argument does not hold water, as you consider Jerry Ganey to be superior to Chris Morgan...I mean really, come on!

I fear the port has addled your brain...please stick to Vimto in the future...damn...you had to mention Vimto didn't you...I can't get it over here and now have a craving for a can of the magically chemical tasting brew!

Tammy and the new cherry vimto for me biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Alas, your argument does not hold water, as you consider Jerry Ganey to be superior to Chris Morgan...

...my consideration is based on the incontrovertable fact that it IS superior, dear boy.

A Spectoresque, emotion laden panorama of soulful sound will always beat a tuppeny-ha'penny third rate stomper with karaoke vocals. seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

I shall neither hear nor participate in any further arguments to the contrary....:rolleyes:

Social source share

A Spectoresque, emotion laden panorama of soulful sound will always beat a tuppeny-ha'penny third rate stomper with karaoke vocals. seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

I shall neither hear nor participate in any further arguments to the contrary....:thumbsup:

Northern Soul vs. Spector...best read then...Tammy twats any Spectoresque over the top yet never making it to the top performance every time...especially thrice on stormy Mondays!

Tell you what, you stick to your port and lemon and scratch your chin in the record room, and I'll go for the cherry Vimto (on Ken's recommendation) and the throw myself around on a dancefloor having fun to the poppy stomper...ans she is better looking than Jerry.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hey Flynny I haven't heard the other version wink.gif

P :)

If you've heard the Chiffons, you really don't need to hear the other version...:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wicked:

..which, let's not forget, I also like. Only not as much!

Social source share

One of the worst written songs ever; it's agony listening to the title being sung and wondering whether they can cram all the words in in time.

In fact it reminds me of my favourite limerick

There was a young man from Japan

Whose limericks would never scan

When told this was so

He said "Yes I know"

but the trouble is I always try and cram as many syllables into the last line as I possibly can

Social source share

One of the worst written songs ever; it's agony listening to the title being sung and wondering whether they can cram all the words in in time.

In fact it reminds me of my favourite limerick

There was a young man from Japan

Whose limericks would never scan

When told this was so

He said "Yes I know"

but the trouble is I always try and cram as many syllables into the last line as I possibly can

Brilliant! - but I'll have you know sir that the guy what wrote it was a serious songwriter...honest...:thumbsup: ...this from Wikipedia:

Brute Force (born 1940) is the pseudonym of Stephen Friedland, an American singer and songwriter. He wrote and performed with The Tokens in the 1960s and wrote songs for Peggy March, Del Shannon, The Chiffons and The Cyrkle (to name but a few).

He wrote and recorded the LP I, Brute Force - Confections of Love for Columbia Records in 1967. One song on the album, "No Olympian Height", was covered by The Other Voices (produced by Ellie Greenwich and Mike Rashkow) and released on Atlantic Records in 1968. He also recorded and released the album Extemporaneous on BT Puppy Records in 1970.

In 2010, Bar None Records reissued and released Brute Force's first solo album "I, Brute Force - Confections of Love" with bonus tracks not contained on the original 1967 vinyl edition. Brute Force's infamous single "The King of Fuh" was also included among songs by James Taylor, Badfinger, Mary Hopkins and others on Apple Records "Best Of" Compilation Album released in October 2010.

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert