Classic Soul Hard To Find Demo's

Mark Bicknell

Having a ball picking up some nice little bit's and bobs got this for pennies recently and reckon it's pretty hard to find on a White Thomas Demo? great record at the best of times, be nice to get a thread going of what we consider maybe common records on stock/issues but perhaps elusive on a demo.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

post-1475-0-40420100-1298123252_thumb.jp

Social source share

• Replies 104
  • Views 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

got dobie gray" in crowd " charger demo ,people laughed , im fekin made up with it 4 quid

regards doogbiggrin.gif

Nice find Mate.

Which DEMO did you get, not seen too many over the years.

CHARGER_CRG-105-A_DJ_-1.gifCHARGER_CRG-105-B_DJ_-1.gif

This one has "45 - X 132 RE" Stamped on the "BE A MAN" Side Deadwax.

CHARGER_CRG-105-A_DJ-1.gifCHARGER_CRG-105-B_DJ-1.gif

This one has a 5 turn Deadwax runout on the "BE A MAN" Side with scratched deadwax info.

Stock copies of both exist, different pressing plants as far as I'm aware.

Either way, nice find & a Bargain too.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Another eight white demo's which I think are pretty tuff to find, love the Symbol/Eastern/Broadway ones.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Eddie & Ernie - WOW!

What a brilliant record, too, Mark - seeing your demo has made me want to go upstairs, dig my stocker out and have a stomp round the record room to it.

One of those classic fllorfillers that has almost been airbrushed out of NS history, unfortunately....

Social source share

Eddie & Ernie - WOW!

What a brilliant record, too, Mark - seeing your demo has made me want to go upstairs, dig my stocker out and have a stomp round the record room to it.

One of those classic fllorfillers that has almost been airbrushed out of NS history, unfortunately....

I remember playing this out a couple of years ago, didn't exactly clear the floor but didn't go down too well :yes:

Social source share

Eddie & Ernie - WOW!

I raised a question on here recently Tony as to would a roots/classic spot work on today's scene, I did'nt mean the tried and tested top 500 either I meant the West Hampstead ethos pre 100 Club type of thing, but I think the question got a little confused and lost slightly, guess I mean all the best bits put together and presented bang slap in the middle of a night. Eddie And Ernie is sublime.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I remember playing this out a couple of years ago, didn't exactly clear the floor but didn't go down too well :yes:

No, its sound belongs to another time and another place, I'm afraid.

Still runs rings round half the poorly recorded, badly sung and played rarities that get discussed here, week in week out, though....

...in my opinion, of course. :D

Social source share

No, its sound belongs to another time and another place, I'm afraid.

Still runs rings round half the poorly recorded, badly sung and played rarities that get discussed here, week in week out, though....

...in my opinion, of course. :yes:

I basically agree but still think there is a place on today's scene for records like this. Crying shame when too many prefer to listen and discuss some of the retro crap that is released these days and some of the second rate funky stuff and records such as this are ignored.

Social source share

Another eight white demo's which I think are pretty tuff to find, love the Symbol/Eastern/Broadway ones.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

They are Virtually Impossible to find Mark, nice one.

They never, ever turn up.

Yet to my reckoning there should be 3 Variations for the DEMO.

EASTERN_609-A-1.gif Here's the Stock copy for your White DEMO.

EASTERN_609-A_WC-1.gif A West Coast Monarch Stock Copy (Assuming there's a DEMO for this press)

Popsike.com

200331892170.jpg

But where are they hiding.

Social source share

:thumbsup: HI ALL SOME RELAY GREAT RECORDS , LOVE THE EDDIE & ERNIE, STILL GOT THE MAMIE GALORE DEMO, ORIGINALLY FROM John ANDERSON £1.5O, AS I HAVE ONLY ABOUT 500 US 45's AS MY FOCUS IS UK SINGLES, LARRY ATKINS LIGHTEN UP WAS A GOOD ONE TO GET, ALWAYS RARE, AND THE INPOSSIBLE TO FIND BACK IN THE 70's WAS EARL WRIGHT THUMB A RIDE CAPITAL DEMO, IN THE END WE ASSUMED IT DID NOT EXIST, IS THIS TRUE TODAY? HAS A COPY TURNED UP, IF SO IT MUST BE A BIG PRICE TAG IF YOU TRIED TO BY IT??:thumbsup: DAVE
Social source share

Hi Dave

Guessing that we've all been looking for them over the years.

As far as I'm aware Thumb A Ride DEMO doesn't exist.

Another that doesn't exist "Out On The Floor" CHARGER DEMO.

Loving the information coming out of this thread, so did they do Charger O O T F demo's or just did'nt bother funny when the other titles exist on the demo, got me thinking now to which other records never had a demo produced, must be a few?

Regards - Mark

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Loving the information coming out of this thread, so did they do Charger O O T F demo's or just did'nt bother funny when the other titles exist on the demo, got me thinking now to which other records never had a demo produced, must be a few?

Regards - Mark

Here's another that I haven't seen on DEMO Mark,

The Four Perfections exists on Party Time DEMO & Stock Copy,

However The Show Stoppers Party Time DEMO ? NEVER,EVER SEEN ONE.

PartyTime_PT-1002-A.jpgPartyTime_PT-1002-B.jpg

Showtime_101a_DJ.jpgHeritage_HE800a_DJ.jpg

Social source share

:thumbsup: HI ALL SOME RELAY GREAT RECORDS , LOVE THE EDDIE & ERNIE, STILL GOT THE MAMIE GALORE DEMO, ORIGINALLY FROM John ANDERSON £1.5O, AS I HAVE ONLY ABOUT 500 US 45's AS MY FOCUS IS UK SINGLES, LARRY ATKINS LIGHTEN UP WAS A GOOD ONE TO GET, ALWAYS RARE, AND THE INPOSSIBLE TO FIND BACK IN THE 70's WAS EARL WRIGHT THUMB A RIDE CAPITAL DEMO, IN THE END WE ASSUMED IT DID NOT EXIST, IS THIS TRUE TODAY? HAS A COPY TURNED UP, IF SO IT MUST BE A BIG PRICE TAG IF YOU TRIED TO BY IT??:( DAVE

Capitol went through a phase of not doing 45rpm demos for a while.

So there are no USA demos 45rpm of Alaxander Patten, Patrice Holloway - Stolen Hours" or Earl Wright,

Social source share

Having sold most of my records years ago this is one I've held on to . Not sure how common it is but Sue white demos don't seem to be around in large numbers. I once had a sort through the remains of Soul Bowls Sue/Symbol/Eastern stock but out and there were no white demos.

Is there a demo for James Fountain ''Seven Day Lover'' on Peachtree? I asked a while ago and got no reply or answer so maybe there wasn't one but can anyone confirm.

Rick

post-16601-0-25479500-1298492448_thumb.j

Social source share

Guest fatcontroller

Seeing Mitch Ryder on New Voice, how about Kenni Wells- Is'nt it just a shame on promo. Am I the only one of a handfull who thinks this is the absolute dogs doo-dahs.

Social source share

Guest fatcontroller

DOO, sorry guys, saw the new voice label & thourght of that one, great soul but not classic soul for this thread. How's about Bobby Bland Shoes then?

Social source share

Having a ball picking up some nice little bit's and bobs got this for pennies recently and reckon it's pretty hard to find on a White Thomas Demo? great record at the best of times, be nice to get a thread going of what we consider maybe common records on stock/issues but perhaps elusive on a demo.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Never been able to understand the fuss about demos - boring white labels. Give me some colour any day - especially if its in a picture sleeve. And many stockers are far harder on issue anyway - black RCA's are the dogs

post-2046-0-51829600-1298499207_thumb.jppost-2046-0-85305400-1298499211_thumb.jp. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rich
Social source share

Never been able to understand the fuss about demos - boring white labels. Give me some colour any day - especially if its in a picture sleeve. And many stockers are far harder on issue anyway - black RCA's are the dogs

post-2046-0-51829600-1298499207_thumb.jppost-2046-0-85305400-1298499211_thumb.jp. :hatsoff2:

Love demos myself, although I don't buy them as much as I'd like. There's something about them I just love. I don't even like colored demos as much as white ones. If you don't get it, it's impossible to explain it to you,

That Walter Jackson pic sleeve looks nice, though.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Capitol went through a phase of not doing 45rpm demos for a while.

So there are no USA demos 45rpm of Alaxander Patten, Patrice Holloway - Stolen Hours" or Earl Wright,

Yeah, I can't find the thread now but I remember Manship giving the reason and the numbers of the period where Capitol didn't do demos.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert