Chris Morgan - Who Am I - Boot?

Bo Diddley

Hello All,

I've had this a few years and saw one for sale recently. It's a Demo, but the label is just WHITE. Most of the Bell USA Demo's I've seen have a coloured Logo in the background.

I thought it looked odd when I got it but just tucked it away and did nothing more about it.

Is this a boot?

Any thoughts ot comments?

Thanks

KB

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Styrene / stick on label? that and the fact that outside of a brief period when Guy was spinning this it's never been what you'd call a " hottie", makes me think it's more likely an oddity rather than a boot.

What if anything can you see in the run out groove?

Personally I don't think you can beat holding the record in your hand and looking at it for assessing whether it's dodgy or not, so without holding it, based purely on the pic and your info regarding owning it for years, I'd go for oddity.

hth.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hadn't heard or thought about this version in a long time.

Playing it again I can see why, as it's not a patch on Jerry Ganey's astonishing original on Verve...

Social source share

Thanks for the info and thoughts.

John, it's styrene with a stick on label. Markings in deadwax are scratched in rather than machine stamped. Just checked popsike and found this issue...

https://www.popsike.com/rare-Northern-Soul-45-CHRIS-MORGAN-who-am-i-BELL-Listen/350242480915.html

Looks like an issue of the Demo I have.

Dave, thanks for the input. I'm happy that it's legit!

Personally, I prefer the Chris Morgan version. Jerry's version is good but doesn't really get going for me until about half way through.

Interesting bit of banter for a rainy Saturday in February, 2 degrees on the thermometer.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Chris Morgan by a country mile, Jerry takes to long to get going IMO.

...let's just agree that you're wrong and leave it at that, shall we?:thumbsup:

Jerry Ganey could take a month to get going and it would still demolish Chris Morgan's puny, soulless rendition...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

...let's just agree that you're wrong and leave it at that, shall we?:thumbsup:

Jerry Ganey could take a month to get going and it would still demolish Chris Morgan's puny, soulless rendition...

I actually think Jerry Ganey is the one lacking in soul, sounds too much like a Righteous brothers record as well.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert