Are These Boots Rare

Patto

A mate came round couple of days ago to play records and tucked away in my boots box were a couple of records that my mate recons are quite rare and fetch daft money these days.The records are scanned here.The John & weirdest i got around 1990 at keele,and the Del-Larks around 83 at clifton hall.Just bought em to play at home as knew i would never get an original,but never thought they were rare.When i think about it now i have never seen another Del Larks Boot and only 2 other J.Ws in the last 15 years.So are they scarce or just tucked away in boot boxes all around the country

post-8522-0-38391400-1297710382_thumb.jp

post-8522-0-47893600-1297710420_thumb.jp

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Whats the difference between the John & Wirdest and the ones with the date stamps on that are on ebay virtually every day? Are they recent ones?

The boot that was done around 1990, about 6 had a date stamp on them so they were quite rare until recent ones. The guy who did them was on here and there is a topic about them somewhere, probably from about 4 or 5 years ago.

Social source share

Whats the difference between the John & Wirdest and the ones with the date stamps on that are on ebay virtually every day? Are they recent ones?

The one WITHOUT the date stamp,,, if you hold it up to an electric light you can see through the vinyl itsa a sorta dark brown colour not opaque!

Its the same with the Bobby Sheen "Something NewTo Do" Demo boots

These two boots look quite authentic

Social source share

The one WITHOUT the date stamp,,, if you hold it up to an electric light you can see through the vinyl itsa a sorta dark brown colour not opaque!

Its the same with the Bobby Sheen "Something NewTo Do" Demo boots

These two boots look quite authentic

Spot on Nige!

The Tie 45 in your picture Patto is the same as the one I bought about 15 years back and that cost me £15 which was high money for a boot then. My mate got one with a stamped date on long after I got my (stampless) copy.

Daz is right, anything upto about £80 although I once saw one on ebay go through the roof, £1,000+.....listed as an original no less but definitely one of these!!!

Social source share

You can see through the ones with the date stamp on as well ...they where done by Dave S early 90,s very good counterfiets

and decent sound quality fooled quite a few well known collecters when they first came out yes.gif

I,m sure Dave is still on here and could fill you all in with the details of how many he made i think around 200 he did them same time as the B Sheen demo

Social source share

Spot on Nige!

The Tie 45 in your picture Patto is the same as the one I bought about 15 years back and that cost me £15 which was high money for a boot then. My mate got one with a stamped date on long after I got my (stampless) copy.

Daz is right, anything upto about £80 although I once saw one on ebay go through the roof, £1,000+.....listed as an original no less but definitely one of these!!!

About 3 months back, I sold my John & Weirdest (1st) boot for £50 and bought one two days later off Ebay for £25!

Social source share

Thanks for all the replies Guys,looks like i bought the J&W boot soon after it was done and yes when held up against a bright light the light can be seen through the vinyl and looks brown.Sound quality is excellent ,and the label is spot on.Are the un-dated ones less common than the date stamped ones i wonder.Steve L these ebay ones you mention are recent copies not the 1990 ones we are refering to.Surprised to hear that only 200 were pessed quite a rare item then which explains the high prices for a boot.

The Del-larks may be more common but i personally haven't seen any others with that label design

Cheers

Social source share

Thanks for all the replies Guys,looks like i bought the J&W boot soon after it was done and yes when held up against a bright light the light can be seen through the vinyl and looks brown.Sound quality is excellent ,and the label is spot on.Are the un-dated ones less common than the date stamped ones i wonder.Steve L these ebay ones you mention are recent copies not the 1990 ones we are refering to.Surprised to hear that only 200 were pessed quite a rare item then which explains the high prices for a boot.

The Del-larks may be more common but i personally haven't seen any others with that label design

Cheers

I actually do collect the good look-a-like boots when I can get hold of them.

I do have the Del-Larks one which you have and I think I paid about £25 for it a good few years back now, just love the record but realised I'd never own an original so settled for that.

On a similar subject, I also got hold of a nice Lenny Curtis on End (styrene, white demo)...now they don't turn up much do they?

Social source share

Seen John & The weirdest anything upto £80 on ebay

Wonder why people pay lots of money for boots??

They are not originals, so they might as well listen to the tunes on YouTube!

Social source share

Some of these boots are now quite scarce and collectable items.As already stated the originals of the mega rare 45s are impossible to own and stupid prices were and still are paid. so the boots were the only way back in the day that we could play the sounds at home.For me they are a part of our Northern soul Heritage and some of mine hold a special place in my memories.Most were bought at the famous long gone venues in times when i was skint just getting to the venue.When i had spare money i bought some great originals most of which i had to sell again in the miners strike.Now i have built up a nice box of faves nothing mega rare but titles i like all on original US and UK labels.But there is nothing better for jogging my memories of the great old times than opening up my old record box of 70s boots,instant transport back to the day

Social source share

Cheers

Patto, of the 1990 batch there was half a dozen or so stamped with the date.

I don't think I've had one of the recent ones in my hands, what is the difference between these and the 1990ish ones?

Social source share

Patto, of the 1990 batch there was half a dozen or so stamped with the date.

I don't think I've had one of the recent ones in my hands, what is the difference between these and the 1990ish ones?

Well the 1990 ones as mentioned before were excellent counterfeits that took in a few people.The recent ones look poor label is all wrong with smaller text

Social source share

The records are M but play with crackles from small scratches on the original, until if ever I get one its been ok for now.

If any one wants to make me an off for a M first boot issue with no date stamp I would like it to go now, had fun playing it. Always thought No Time was a backwards recording like the Crow but when I got this it all was cleared up, the only way for me to hear it was from RS as Spyder Turner and The Webs. :D

Social source share

most likely worth less than the boot leg but hey if your happy with it mate keep it . thumbsup.gif

Spot on Soulontop records are friends not just price tags.As i have said before i collect mostly originals but some of my old skool boots are like old memory blasts of times gone by bought long before CDs or MP3 and i would much prefere to spin my J.W boot at home than to listen to it through an I Pod.By the way your Del larks is not a boot is it thought that one was a legal re-issue which can fetch a bob or two

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert