Jimmy Cobb

Eddyw

justseen this on you tube , forgot how good this is , got told years ago it was only lp issue , but i was told in prestatyn last year it was also on a 45 , what is the right one ,

also who much ? if its possible to find one , thanks Eddy

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

justseen this on you tube , forgot how good this is , got told years ago it was only lp issue , but i was told in prestatyn last year it was also on a 45 , what is the right one ,

also who much ? if its possible to find one , thanks Eddy

You see them about for between five and ten quid. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Ok its an Lp track that was released by Expansion (I think - havent my copy to hand) as a 45 and a damm fine tune it is too and an old Searling spin I think (old age catching up on me here!) Jimmy was Miles Davis drummer and the voice you hear is that of Gregory Hines (Mr Tap, film actor, his dad was the drummer Chic Hines) and this toon was an ender at many a night I attended in the late 90's. The female vocal is Marilyn Redfield and the project was put together to accomany a video that also involved the great Bill Cosby. Quality TOON that i still spin on occassion when I escape the kids and Scouting etc etc :thumbsup: £5-10 for the 45 is about right

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

and the only member of the 'Kind Of Blue' sessions still alive.

correct, it did get a 45 release on expansion,carl willingham gave it a lot of spins late 90s

Social source share

It was released on Contempo Vibrato LP first and then picked up by Expansion.

did a quick google and found this info...

Date: late December 1981

Label: [television broadcast]

Jimmy Cobb (ldr), Dave Liebman (af, ss), Alfred 'Pee Wee' Ellis (ts), Freddie Hubbard (t, fh), Steve Satten (c, per), Steve Khan (g), Larry Willis (p), Peter Levin (syn), Walter Booker (b), Jimmy Cobb (d), Victoria Berdy, Jimmy Strassberg (per), Gregory Hines (v, dnc), Marilyn Redfield (v)

a.a-01 So Nobody Else Can Hear - 3:40 (Steve Satten, Susannah Satten) / arr: Alfred 'Pee Wee' Ellis

Contempo Vibrato LP 12": CV 003 " So Nobody Else Can Hear b.a-02 Little Girl - 6:30 (Andrew 'Tex' Allen, Eleana Steinberg Tee) / arr: Alfred 'Pee Wee' Ellis

Contempo Vibrato LP 12": CV 003 " So Nobody Else Can Hear c.a-03 Remembering The Rain [lyric version] - 5:21 (Bill Evans, Eleana Steinberg Tee) / arr: Alfred 'Pee Wee' Ellis

Contempo Vibrato LP 12": CV 003 " So Nobody Else Can Hear d.b-01 My Old Friend - 6:24 (Steve Satten) / arr: Alfred 'Pee Wee' Ellis

Contempo Vibrato LP 12": CV 003 " So Nobody Else Can Hear e.b-02 Pistachio - 3:58 (Alfred 'Pee Wee' Ellis, Eleana Steinberg Tee) / arr: Alfred 'Pee Wee' Ellis

Contempo Vibrato LP 12": CV 003 " So Nobody Else Can Hear f.b-03 Spotlight - 5:08 (Eleana Steinberg Tee) / arr: Alfred 'Pee Wee' Ellis

Contempo Vibrato LP 12": CV 003 " So Nobody Else Can Hear g. Cute - 3:19 (Neal Hefti) / arr: Alfred 'Pee Wee' Ellis h. Four More Blues - 0:43 (Alfred 'Pee Wee' Ellis) / arr: Alfred 'Pee Wee' Ellis All titles on: Expansion CD: 6 " So Nobody Else Can Hear (2000)

Estee Recordings CD: 0049 " So Nobody Else Can Hear (2003) Gregory Hines (v) on a, d; (dnc) on g; Marilyn Redfield (v) on c, f.

A spoken conversation between Bill Cosby and Jimmy Cobb (0:55) is included as the first track on CD issues.

Simulcast on A&E television and 24 radio stations. DVD also issued.

Personnel details need clarification as do variations between issues. Some issues list a final track of "So Nobody Else Can Hear" (reprise) - further details needed.

Social source share

Seem to remember it being a regular ender for Bob Hinsley at the Ritz nighters, late 90's onwards, then again he could have just finished with it the once and it's just stuck :thumbsup:

:yes: No I remember Bob being one of the few DJs spanking the heck out of it at the time and more than once! Also a big fave at the Jazz clubs I popped into down our way at the same time - records of quality will always stick in your mind - who can ever forget Joe 90 theme! (Oh hang on :( )

Social source share

:yes: No I remember Bob being one of the few DJs spanking the heck out of it at the time and more than once! Also a big fave at the Jazz clubs I popped into down our way at the same time - records of quality will always stick in your mind - who can ever forget Joe 90 theme! (Oh hang on :( )

Thought so, we used to often finish with it just down the road at the lesser known nights at Bolton Anglers around the same time, great tune, and I do tend to associate it with Bob, :thumbsup:

Edited by Pete60
Social source share

Yes, originally on this LP;

JIMMY COBB

"SO NOBODY ELSE CAN HEAR" (1983 CONTEMPO VIBRATO)

(Prod. Pee Wee Ellis)

Best tracks - "So nobody else can hear"/"Pistachio"

PS. Miles Davis "Kind of blue" is not only the best selling jazz LP of all time, it's probably the greatest too, taking a genre of music into a brand new direction. A bit like James Brown's "Papa's got a brand new bag".

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

I don't know why I bother with this forum at times. What with this and the rubbish aimed at Paul Mooney elsewhere, is it worth it?

don't let it bother you mike, i for one was educated by your post.:thumbsup:

Social source share

I don't know why I bother with this forum at times. What with this and the rubbish aimed at Paul Mooney elsewhere, is it worth it?

Ok whats the problem with stating that you were in fact correct and that it is the best jazz album etc etc?? I'm not sure if you thought I was being funny with you mate ( I wasn't) I was merely pointing out that you mentioned something that I hadn't and further educated people! I really cant see why you would post a quote like this?????

Social source share

It was a massive tune in the nightclubs that played jazz funk etc up here in Middlesbrough around 1983-4 and was played by Mike Charlton. Always puzzled me to as why an out and out mid tempo 8ts jazz number got acceptance on the Northern scene .

I have the original lp and the expansion re-issue CD . The 45 does not have the Bill Cosby introduction though

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert