Advice Wanted

Tv175

hi, Has anyone not received a record off ebay ? I won and paid for it on the 16th of Jan. Having not received the record by the 20th i contacted the seller as i usually receive them within 3 days. He said he posted it the next day[17th], so i waited. Still not got it but the seller is now saying that ive received it. I have opened a not received case but the seller is getting a bit abusive towards me, acusing me of having the record. I have replied back to try and convince him that ive not got it but he insists i have . What would you do please any advice, cheers paul .

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

hi, Has anyone not received a record off ebay ? I won and paid for it on the 16th of Jan. Having not received the record by the 20th i contacted the seller as i usually receive them within 3 days. He said he posted it the next day[17th], so i waited. Still not got it but the seller is now saying that ive received it. I have opened a not received case but the seller is getting a bit abusive towards me, acusing me of having the record. I have replied back to try and convince him that ive not got it but he insists i have . What would you do please any advice, cheers paul .

It Should Of Arrived By Now!! You Need To Check If It Was Sent Recorded /Special Delivery And Try And Track It, If Not carry On With What You Are Doing Ebay Will Try To Find out if It Was Posted As Said By Getting Proof Of Postage Etc !! :lol:

Social source share

Unless he can prove you've received it (recorded delivery etc) both ebay and paypal will side with you and you'll get your money back. It might be worth telling the seller you've posted this on here to see if they change their tone. Don't have all the facts but his reaction sounds a bit 'over the top' to me. Best of luck.

Social source share

Was it a UK or overseas purchase? I have waited for almost 2 weeks for some deliveries over the Christmas / New Year period for overseas post, and a week is not unusual for deliveries at the best of times from my experience.

Social source share

Was it a UK or overseas purchase? I have waited for almost 2 weeks for some deliveries over the Christmas / New Year period for overseas post, and a week is not unusual for deliveries at the best of times from my experience.

hi ,it is uk purchase , i do beleive that its been posted because he is miffed about it but when i asked him if he had a tracking number or proof of postage thats when he got funny ,i only said that because thats his way of claiming back of the postal service i believe ,cheers paul

Social source share

16 TH January - you are having a laugh I have 10 parcels still not arrived in USA sent 15 / 12 .. waiting for parcels from Japan, Germany posted 17/ 12...

Paul McKay will vouch on here I sent him a parcel recorded took 6 weeks ....don ' t be so quick to jump the gun.

Yes we all KEEP proof of postage - only thing is Paypal insists on tracking proof - if buyer has not purchased it scupper s the seller - as always 2 sides to this but 16th January .. the patience of some buyers incredible......

Social source share

16 TH January - you are having a laugh I have 10 parcels still not arrived in USA sent 15 / 12 .. waiting for parcels from Japan, Germany posted 17/ 12...

Paul McKay will vouch on here I sent him a parcel recorded took 6 weeks ....don ' t be so quick to jump the gun.

Yes we all KEEP proof of postage - only thing is Paypal insists on tracking proof - if buyer has not purchased it scupper s the seller - as always 2 sides to this but 16th January .. the patience of some buyers incredible......

It's UK to Uk though so it should have arrived, even if sent by Pony Express. If someone got shirty with me when I asked for tracking number or proof of postage I wouldn't wait any longer, I'd simply file a claim and let ebay/paypal sort it.

It's been in the UK postal system for two weeks, they aren't that slow, the guy said he'd posted it the next day so I think I'd be asking questions. If you ordered from Amazon or other online outlet you'd be asking questions.

Social source share

I posted this one EMS last month

During the snow I caught a consumer expert discussing distance selling and how the snow affected late or lost postal items and she said that the buyer is not liable for any loss until they have accepted it.

The following information can be found on the office of fair trading web site.

Can I charge the consumer the cost of insuring items that

I send out?

3.20 No. These items belong to you until they have been accepted by your

consumer. So you cannot charge your consumers for carrying risks

that you should bear. See paragraph 3.36 for more information.

Can a consumer cancel an order before they receive the

goods or where goods are lost in transit?

3.35 Yes. Where the DSRs give consumers rights to cancel, this right is

unconditional. If consumers cancel before they have received the

goods you must refund the total price of the goods, including any

delivery charges. Consumers who have cancelled under the DSRs

may refuse to accept delivery of the goods. Refusal in such a

situation cannot be treated as a breach of contract.

3.36 Where goods are lost in transit from you to the consumer you will

need to either send new goods or offer the consumer a full refund,

including delivery charges. See paragraph 3.20 for more information.

So from what this information tells me; is that until the item is in the buyers hands the item is still the sellers property and they have to replace or cover the full costs if the buyer doesnt recieve it.

https://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft698.pdf

Social source share

To be fair, if I'd paid for something on the 16th of january, I'd be asking where it was by now. If you buy something off me, you get it sent same day or next day, it's not too much to ask other sellers to at least do it within a couple of days - and if, like this one, it doesn't turn up, I'd have asked after a week to be honest.

Social source share

if he says that he said you have recieved it then how would he know, he must have proof of postage or tracking number and then if he has get that from him and track it yourself, if it was left with a neighbour that is stated by the Post Ofiice, i think the bloke is pulling a fast one if he says he has proof that you have recieved it so just go for a claim then let everyone else know who he is to avoid :lol:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

....don ' t be so quick to jump the gun.

the patience of some buyers incredible......

:lol: How long should he wait then for a record posted in the same country? Four weeks, five weeks, six weeks? I agree, often two sides, but come on...

Social source share

Actually TV175, Bearsy's post reminds me that it might be worth checking with your neighbours.

Happened to me not long ago. I live at 10, note left at 8 that 45 was at 2.

ROD

thanks for everybody,s advice ,checked with the closest neighbours [i live on a small estate 20 houses ] we all know each other and they do know im a dj so i think the ones ive not checked with would know who it should have been delivered to,as for the guy saying he has no proof of postage he told me that he lives near the postal depot so he takes them direct ,he said that he posted 12 records at the same time and all but mine were delivered ,cheers paul

Social source share

the seller lives in the leeds bradford area and im in rotherham about 35 miles apart i really do think its been lost in the post the cost of the record is £21.50,

Social source share

the seller lives in the leeds bradford area and im in rotherham about 35 miles apart i really do think its been lost in the post the cost of the record is £21.50,

It's tragic to think your parcel is lost as you only live 35 miles apart,but communication is the key.

I'm sure there's a logical explanation ,imho if he was a rip off merchant i can't see the point of bothering if it was a £21 record.

Keep pestering him ,you have 45 days to file a dispute ,which is an inconvenience ,but such is life eh!

In the mean time..it might be worth doing some detective work of your own.......

Are the neighbours wearing soul bags and circle skirts etc,or even the local postie..lol

Social source share

he's covered up to £28 isn't he on normal postage? If so he can claim the money back through the post office if he has proof and you can claim it back through paypal, everybody happy. Even though he takes them direct to the depot he still has to pay the postage so should have proof.

Social source share

It's tragic to think your parcel is lost as you only live 35 miles apart,but communication is the key.

I'm sure there's a logical explanation ,imho if he was a rip off merchant i can't see the point of bothering if it was a £21 record.

Keep pestering him ,you have 45 days to file a dispute ,which is an inconvenience ,but such is life eh!

In the mean time..it might be worth doing some detective work of your own.......

Are the neighbours wearing soul bags and circle skirts etc,or even the local postie..lol

i dont think he is a rip off merchant but he thinks i am , as for the neighbours with the bags on dont think its them because it was a modern tune lol

Social source share

he's covered up to £28 isn't he on normal postage? If so he can claim the money back through the post office if he has proof and you can claim it back through paypal, everybody happy. Even though he takes them direct to the depot he still has to pay the postage so should have proof.

It's always 100 x 1st class UK post - so at the moment it is covered for £41 - It will be more in April

Social source share

UK to UK should only take 2 or 3 days at worst in normal conditions.

At the risk of stating the obvious, have you checked with your local sorting office?

I have known them sit there where a card hasn't been left. I know it shoudn't work like that but it can happen.

Seller shoud have put return address on package so it should go back to him if undeliverable.

He should refund you if you've checked as above, he then can claim back from post office.

if you have paid by paypal and you open a dispute they will side with you so he may as well bite the bullet. If he has the proof of posting then he should have no problem claiming back.

One other thing, if it can't be delivered for whatever reason and there is no return address it goes to the DLO in Belfast.

It happened to me and I got it back by making telephone enquiries and eventually re-sent it to the buyer!

Good luck, the postal service in UK is much maligned but is, in my experience, excellent.

Andy

Social source share

Can't understand why, if he did send it recorded, that he'd not be more than happy to supply the info you're after (reference number, date of posting) if only as proof that he's sent it and not done the dirty. He'd have to be a real twonk not to want to give that info to stop himself looking like an idiot. Can't imagine any serious sellers not wanting to comply if only to maintain their rep: actually, it's happened to me before despite 5 or 6 requests for the info before a cock-and-bull 'explanation' for the record not arriving sooner, and at the end, still no 'proof' of it being sent the first time. Unfortunately some people are just stupid and really crap at customer service.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

I posted this one EMS last month

During the snow I caught a consumer expert discussing distance selling and how the snow affected late or lost postal items and she said that the buyer is not liable for any loss until they have accepted it.

The following information can be found on the office of fair trading web site.

Can I charge the consumer the cost of insuring items that

I send out?

3.20 No. These items belong to you until they have been accepted by your

consumer. So you cannot charge your consumers for carrying risks

that you should bear. See paragraph 3.36 for more information.

Can a consumer cancel an order before they receive the

goods or where goods are lost in transit?

3.35 Yes. Where the DSRs give consumers rights to cancel, this right is

unconditional. If consumers cancel before they have received the

goods you must refund the total price of the goods, including any

delivery charges. Consumers who have cancelled under the DSRs

may refuse to accept delivery of the goods. Refusal in such a

situation cannot be treated as a breach of contract.

3.36 Where goods are lost in transit from you to the consumer you will

need to either send new goods or offer the consumer a full refund,

including delivery charges. See paragraph 3.20 for more information.

So from what this information tells me; is that until the item is in the buyers hands the item is still the sellers property and they have to replace or cover the full costs if the buyer doesnt recieve it.

https://www.oft.gov.u...eral/oft698.pdf

Distance selling regulations only apply to New products sold at a set sell price, it would not apply to secondhand items, or items won in an auction

Social source share

:thumbsup: How long should he wait then for a record posted in the same country? Four weeks, five weeks, six weeks? I agree, often two sides, but come on...

Point I was attempting to make goes along these lines

Seller : Do you want tracking insurance to ENSURE delivery Buyer

Buyer : No cheapest option post please

item then gets tossed around by Royal ( Though what ' s Royal about it ) Mail and lo and behold seller loses out cos buyer wants a refund after paying for pony express...

Royal Mail lose in excess of 1000 + parcels daily ... if you sell full time these losses soon mount up - only attempting to look at this from both sides .. it ' s often the seller who is out of pocket ..Ebay / Paypal claim always finds in favour of buyer unless tracking insurance purchased - which most people don ' t want to pay for - cheapest option 99% of time EVEN for expensive items.

Have now took decision to send all items over £50 in U K go special delivery or recorded .. and RM manage to lose 5 RD items last year for me alone ..multiply that by the amount of full time dealers in UK alone one hell of a lot of parcels go astray , get lifted , no card left by postie , stuck in delivery office ... the list is endless....

Social source share

slightly off topic but "whats the royal all about"..not really sure but it is a pain in the arse ! reminded me of this.....i was selling some lp's to buyers abroad...two in germany and one in sweden all for the same ammount and was waiting for the addresses...i made a right 'royal' f*** up...the addresses were so similiar ...on one i put the swedesh street but germany AND in a rush didnt put senders post code!!...realised couple hours after leaving post office,rushed back and the asian couple behind the counter tipped out the sacks on the floor looking for it but like they first thought it had already gone......i rang the sorting office and eventually got through to a jobsworth w***** who told me they couldnt change the address even if they found it OR right my post code on the back...why ?...because as soon as you put it in the box its property of the queen and can not be touched in any way as it was against the law to do so..."and you wouldnt ask me to break the law would you sir (no but id like to break your face!...thought it but didnt say it),we cant pick and choose what laws we want to obey ...sir"...

got in touch with both buyers explaining things and hoped their mail service had more common sense and less red tape...they said they would check it out and i never heard back from either or had any bad feedback so can only asume they got more help than i did and eventually got their tunes

dean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert