Rare Issues You Need

Following on from the Bessie Banks Quality 45 thread I suddenly thought blimey a rare issues thread would be pretty interesting.

But it surely must've been done to death many times before said self doubt in my ear?

Off the very top most bit of my head here's some I can recall within 30 seconds of counting:

Bessie Banks Quality

Carl Hall Columbia

Corey Blake Capitol

I know there's tons but I just can't filter them out at the moment......

And I know as other people start adding to the list I'll be going "oh yeah how did I forget that....."

And finally one of my top favourite issues you need to hear before senility takes over -

Lorraine Johnson "Can I Hold you to it" Atlantic demo's are double sided but the issue has "If you want me to be more of a woman, You've got to be more of a man".

Both sides way beyond awesome.

Or is it the other way round, songwise, re the demos and issue?

derek

Social source share

• Replies 45
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Following on from the Bessie Banks Quality 45 thread I suddenly thought blimey a rare issues thread would be pretty interesting.

But it surely must've been done to death many times before said self doubt in my ear?

Off the very top most bit of my head here's some I can recall within 30 seconds of counting:

Bessie Banks Quality

Carl Hall Columbia

Corey Blake Capitol

And I know as other people start adding to the list I'll be going "oh yeah how did I forget that....."

And finally one of my top favourite issues you need to hear before senility takes over -

Lorraine Johnson "Can I Hold you to it" Atlantic demo's are double sided but the issue has "If you want me to be more of a woman, You've got to be more of a man".

derek

Hi derek, hope your well, allways been intrested in issue against demo`s thing. Theres a few i looked for but never came across for sale

Dana Vallery

Holly st james

Velours

Dean courtney-Love you just can`t walk away

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

The ones that immediately spring to mind are the 70's releases where "the" side was only on the issue. Three good examples below, where the Demos are all quite easy to find, but the issues are a different story all together :

Otis Jackson on Mega

Paul Thompson on Volt

Mel Williams on Buddah

Best

John

Bessie Banks Quality

Carl Hall Columbia

Corey Blake Capitol

derek

Social source share

Bessie Banks Quality

Carl Hall Columbia

Corey Blake Capitol

derek

Good thread Derek. I would nominate -

Bill Brandon - 'Streets Got My Lady' - the issue has the awesome Sam Dees penned 'Tag Tag'.

and Heywood Cash - 'Give It Up' with 'Messing Up A Good Thing' on Epic (and please don't anyone mention the version they prefer - John Edwards blah blah...)no.gif

Mike

Social source share

derek

Another favourite is

Rozetta Johnson on Clintone the issue of "Holding The Losing Hand" has "Personal Woman" on the flip - another fantastic Sam Dees composition

Mike

Social source share

Bessie Banks on Volt. "Try To Leave Me If You Can" is on both sides of the dj copy. The issue has a bonus in the shape of the awesome "Ain't No Easy Way" and seems far harder to track down than any variant of her Quality 45s.

The Volt "Try............." is a different mix/take or the Quality release is a different recoding......isn't it ?

Cheers Paul

Social source share

The Volt "Try............." is a different mix/take or the Quality release is a different recoding......isn't it ?

Cheers Paul

To be perfectly honest Paul I've never had the Quality issue to compare the two, but the Volt b-side is a wondrous record, making it one of the best double-sided '70s soul singles in my opinion. I wonder if anyone else agrees with me?

Social source share

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul - it like Groundhog Day on this list - we had this discussion back in 2007!!! =>

I'm sure at the time I compared the Quality and Contempo 45's together with the DG CD for the Volt issue (don't have the 45) and all sounded the same to me - might have to compare again - what a hardship yes.gif

Mind the old discussion confirms it is a long time since it was a £30 record!!

Mike

Social source share

:rolleyes: HI ALL I NEED ABOUT 30 TO COMPLETE MY UK COLLECTION, TO MY SATISFACTION.

MY 5 WANTS ARE ...#1 THE PARADOX - RING THE CHANGES - POLYDOR 56275,

#2 JOHN DREVA - THE CLOSER SHE GET'S - MGM 1367.

#3 AMBASSADORS - ALL YOU GOT GIRL - JOX..TP

# 3 SAM NESBET - BLACK MOTHER GOOSE - 444 TP.

#4 BIG DEE IRWIN - SATISFY MY NEEDS - STATESIDE 450.

# 5 FORK IN THE ROAD - I CAN'T TURN AROUND - EMBER 311.

OVER THE YEARS I HAVE HAD 3 OF THE 6 BUT WHEN THE GOING GETS TUFF YOU SELL UP, THIS IS MY 3RD UK COLLLECTION AND THE GOINGS REALLY TUFF, BUT IF I SELL I THE LOT WILL GO, :lol: SO IF YOU WIN THE LOTTERY AND YOU WANT MY COLLECTION IT'S ALL YOURS,:g: DAVE

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

===

ive nver seen an issue either but while, we are at it,,,,,what a fooking choiooon,,,,,,

knew it was one of em................issue fairly common.............never seen a demo do they exist? bit like marsha gee and sequins on detroit sound...............except ..........l know someone who has both

oops we,re talking issues sorry :rolleyes:

Social source share

knew it was one of em................issue fairly common.............never seen a demo do they exist? bit like marsha gee and sequins on detroit sound...............except ..........l know someone who has both

=

oops we,re talking issues sorry :rolleyes:

=====

also never seeen a bobby diamond - stop issue b4 ,,,must exist however...

Social source share

:thumbsup: HI ALL I NEED ABOUT 30 TO COMPLETE MY UK COLLECTION, TO MY SATISFACTION.

OVER THE YEARS I HAVE HAD 3 OF THE 6 BUT WHEN THE GOING GETS TUFF YOU SELL UP, THIS IS MY 3RD UK COLLLECTION AND THE GOINGS REALLY TUFF, BUT IF I SELL I THE LOT WILL GO, :yes: SO IF YOU WIN THE LOTTERY AND YOU WANT MY COLLECTION IT'S ALL YOURS,:ohmy: DAVE

sure Dave Rivers had a paradox for sale,might still have it,also seen somebody else with one for sale in the last few months but cannot for the life of me remember who and where...........

Social source share

sure Dave Rivers had a paradox for sale,might still have it,also seen somebody else with one for sale in the last few months but cannot for the life of me remember who and where...........

:thumbsup: MR RIMMER FROM DUDLEY, I WONDER IF IT HAS MY NAME ON IT, HOW IS DAVE AS TIME PASSSES BYE! I WILL PM HIM , I HAVE NO MONEY BUT I HAVE 40 ISSUES #1 TO #40 OF THE FANZINE MAG SOULFUL KINDA THING, THEY ARE ALL MINT.AND I BET ALL CLOTH EARS WANTS DOUBLE THE PRICE, I PAID £60 FOR MY ONE ALONG WITH THE INSPARATIONS 5 OF A PENNY AND JENNY WREN ALL MINT IN A ROW IN LONDON, SPOOKY AS JENNY WREN CAME FROM DUDLEY & THATS WHERE WE STARTED :yes::ohmy: CHEERS DAVE THE LINK MAN

Social source share

Bessie Banks Quality

Carl Hall Columbia

Corey Blake Capitol

derek

I'm sure we've had this thread before Del Boy but doesn't do any harm mentioning it again imho :thumbsup:

I love me oddball/rare issues (I have all them 4 above for example!) and a couple i always trot out is me Tony Drake issue on Brunswick (even though the demo does have the same B side) PLUS Life issue on 'Mustard' Reprise(which has a B side unique to the issue BUT is shite unfortunately :yes: )

I've a load more and will post em when they come into me head.........oh aye just thought of another one Darrow Fletcher 'Honey can i' (B side on Atlantic issue of 'Rising cost of love' ...................Bloody great it is too :ohmy:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

I'm sure we've had this thread before Del Boy but doesn't do any harm mentioning it again imho :thumbsup:

I love me oddball/rare issues (I have all them 4 above for example!) and a couple i always trot out is me Tony Drake issue on Brunswick (even though the demo does have the same B side) PLUS Life issue on 'Mustard' Reprise(which has a B side unique to the issue BUT is shite unfortunately :lol: )

I've a load more and will post em when they come into me head.........oh aye just thought of another one Darrow Fletcher 'Honey can i' (B side on Atlantic issue of 'Rising cost of love' ...................Bloody great it is too :ohmy:

Cheers

Steve

Just thought of another............................my avatar :yes::D:wave:

Social source share

:thumbsup: HI ALL I NEED ABOUT 30 TO COMPLETE MY UK COLLECTION, TO MY SATISFACTION.

OVER THE YEARS I HAVE HAD 3 OF THE 6 BUT WHEN THE GOING GETS TUFF YOU SELL UP, THIS IS MY 3RD UK COLLLECTION AND THE GOINGS REALLY TUFF, BUT IF I SELL I THE LOT WILL GO, :yes: SO IF YOU WIN THE LOTTERY AND YOU WANT MY COLLECTION IT'S ALL YOURS,:ohmy: DAVE

NOTICED THE SAM NESBIT ON 444, DO YOU HAVE CHRIS JACKSON "IF YOU LOVE ME" ON 444.

Social source share

NOTICED THE SAM NESBIT ON 444, DO YOU HAVE CHRIS JACKSON "IF YOU LOVE ME" ON 444.

:thumbsup: I HAD A CHRS JACKSON ACCIITATE (UNFINISH TAKES) THAT I GOT FROM MARTIN B SOUL SAM, AT WOLVES BLACK HORSE IN 1989. I SWAPPED IT WITH MICK HOLDSWORTH FOR WHITE LABLE COPIES OF HERB WARD HOLLY MAXWELL CECIL WASHINGTON , THE ONLY COPY OF SOUL CITY 20 IS ALSO IN WOLVERHAMPTON IN TOP DJ JOHN PUGH COLLECTION :ohmy: DAVE

Social source share

Jean Plum - Look At The Boy/Back To You - HI, easier to get on UK London, very tough on Hi issue, Gareth do you fancy selling me yours?

Jean Plum - Pour On The Loving/ You Just Ask Me - HI, tougher than you think, as i've seem more Here I Go Again issues

Ceasar Frazier - Child Of The Wind/Till Another Day - Westbound, normally a single sided Demo of Child Of The Wind and didn't realise this was hard to get on issue until Ady asked for a scan of Till Another Day for one of the Westbound CD's

Bobby McClure - I Ain't Gonna Turn You Loose / Hard Luck - Hi, never seen an issue of this, but have always assumed they're in someone's collection.

Charlene and the Soul Serenaders - Love Changes/Can You Win - Volt. Really hard on a Volt issue, virtually impossible on Paradox

Bill Brandon - Rainbow Road/You've Got That Something Wonderful - Tower, someone mentioned they had an issue in a thread about 2 years ago

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Bessie Banks on Volt. "Try To Leave Me If You Can" is on both sides of the dj copy. The issue has a bonus in the shape of the awesome "Ain't No Easy Way" and seems far harder to track down than any variant of her Quality 45s.

Brilliant flip mate,love it :thumbsup:

Social source share

Good thread Derek. I would nominate -

Bill Brandon - 'Streets Got My Lady' - the issue has the awesome Sam Dees penned 'Tag Tag'.

and Heywood Cash - 'Give It Up' with 'Messing Up A Good Thing' on Epic (and please don't anyone mention the version they prefer - John Edwards blah blah...)no.gif

Mike

Don't start me off on that one Mike :thumbsup:

Social source share

Jean Plum - Pour On The Loving/ You Just Ask Me - HI, tougher than you think, as i've seem more Here I Go Again issues

Bobby McClure - I Ain't Gonna Turn You Loose / Hard Luck - Hi, never seen an issue of this, but have always assumed they're in someone's collection.

There have been a few fairly cheap Jean Plum - "Pour On The Loving" issues on ebay recently, all from the same seller.

I didn't realise the Bobby McClure is rare:

post-4944-0-25408000-1296570319_thumb.jppost-4944-0-29958000-1296570318_thumb.jp

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Guest in town Mikey

Are there issues of

Celestrials - Chain reaction or Gia Mateo - Anything Nice on RCA?

Cant remember ever seeing an issue of Larry Davis - I've been hurt on Kent either.

Social source share

Are there issues of

Cant remember ever seeing an issue of Larry Davis - I've been hurt on Kent either.

:hatsoff2:

post-9122-0-51434500-1297989712_thumb.jp

Social source share

Are there issues of

I collect RCA's amongst other things. One night I saw an issue Gia Mateo, and was gonna buy it but a mate said " that ain't rare, I've got one at home which we could do a trade on".

Sure enough I saw his issue when I dropped him home, but never got it off him. So having seen two issues in the space of several hours I haven't noticed one since. I've always presumed issues became rarer on some labels as they were shipped out on a "sale or return" basis, and all the unsold stock went back to be recycled. Could well be wrong, just a theory based on working in the industry for a while.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert