• Replies 14
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Brian Ellis

Recently noticed a couple of lists with this at well over £150, in fact there's one today...

DON'T YOU WORRY BABY (THE BEST IS YET TO COME) - BESSIE BANKS (QUALITY W/DJ) £180

Always thought this was a thirty quidder?

Any reason for the hike, or are these well over the top prices?

Not been £30 for many years. I'd say the last 10 years at least it's been upwards of £150; £200 on an issue.

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

Recently noticed a couple of lists with this at well over £150, in fact there's one today...

DON'T YOU WORRY BABY (THE BEST IS YET TO COME) - BESSIE BANKS (QUALITY W/DJ) £180

Always thought this was a thirty quidder?

Any reason for the hike, or are these well over the top prices?

If this was 30 quid now i'd buy a copy as well.

Social source share

The trouble with us old schoolers - of which I am one, now I'm past the 50 mark - is that sometimes we value a record at year 2000 prices and overlook the blindingly obvious facts that (a) that was ten years ago and (b) demand forces prices up.

Now I know all this, you don't need to tell me..... but just like Pikeys Dog said earlier I always sorta thought BB was a thirty quid touch.

And because of what I've stated above - these days, if I'm thinking of shifting off any record of value I do a fair bit of prowling around the internet to try an' gauge its curent price.

Now I've got a lovely clean Quality WDJ that I might consider letting go - so you can imagine I was quite shocked/suprised/pleased when I checked Popsike 3-4 months ago to see what sales of BB were fetching - gulp, anywhere from £150 rising up to £250.

In Pearson world everything is still 1974 hahaha.

derek

Social source share

Her other release on quality 'baby you sure know how to get to me' is probably worth £30 by todays standards.DAVE

Which is a totally different version than the UK Contempo release which I would highly recommend.

You really need the issue of 'Don't You Worry' for the awesome deep flip 'Try To Leave Me If You Can'. Like many valuable records these days , a last hour spin at the Mecca that I picked up for 85p as a new release. smile.gif

Social source share

Which is a totally different version than the UK Contempo release which I would highly recommend.

You really need the issue of 'Don't You Worry' for the awesome deep flip 'Try To Leave Me If You Can'. Like many valuable records these days , a last hour spin at the Mecca that I picked up for 85p as a new release.

I don't think I've ever heard that other 45 "Baby you sure know how to get to me" either on Quality or Contempo. Probably might have done possibly?

Always had the double sided white demo but never the blue issue.

And yeah the flip "Try to leave me if you can" is rather special indeed.

The lightbulb has just gone on!

That would make a great thread wouldn't it - Rare Issues which you need - but it must have been done to death surely many times before, hasn't it?

Tell you what - 'cos I'm a rebel without a clue - I'll start a thread on rare issues now and wait to get told off hahaha.

derek

Social source share

You really need the issue of 'Don't You Worry' for the awesome deep flip 'Try To Leave Me If You Can'. Like many valuable records these days , a last hour spin at the Mecca that I picked up for 85p as a new release. smile.gif

Hmm, really Mike - can't say as I'd noticed, got both of the Quality singles as demos and of course the Contempo release which I bought only for the sublime "Try to leave me..." but that was back in the late 70's / early 80's(?) when Mr Hampsey first stuck it on a tape for me.

You didn't mention that this is actually on the other side of the Contempo release of "Baby you know how to get to me", so I'll just mention it so others realise they can pick it up without the need for a Quality issue copy - although that's still a great double sider!

Social source share

Hmm, really Mike - can't say as I'd noticed, got both of the Quality singles as demos and of course the Contempo release which I bought only for the sublime "Try to leave me..." but that was back in the late 70's / early 80's(?) when Mr Hampsey first stuck it on a tape for me.

You didn't mention that this is actually on the other side of the Contempo release of "Baby you know how to get to me", so I'll just mention it so others realise they can pick it up without the need for a Quality issue copy - although that's still a great double sider!

Hi John - I don't even think it is a re-mix - the Quality version is faster and more disco, don't even think the arranger credits are the same - although I don't have either at hand (indeed I don't own the Quality release) check 'em out and let me know! Mike

Social source share

OK Mike, I'll dig them out and have a listen - when I get chance!

Meanwhile here's a pic of the Quality 45

post-5094-0-78614100-1296505499_thumb.jp

Plus the Issue copy - to get back on with the thread! :rolleyes:

post-5094-0-55216100-1296505519_thumb.jp

Just pulled out the Contempo 45 and sure enough it is Arranged and Conducted by James Smith although with the same producer - Clyde Otis. Or is Otis and James the same bloke?

Edited by Mike Lofthouse
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert