Acetates And Cover-Ups-Info Needed

Mal C

Hi all, been listening to a couple of Richard Searling's shows from 2002, one show especially that was broadcast just before the rarest of the Rare 7, nighter in manchester.. anyhow I'd like to know whether any of the following tracks have been made available on vinyl or CD since then, as I' like to be able to play them on 45 in the house, so here goes:

* Andy Rix was playing an Inst called the - Detroit Rhythm section which was big at the 100 club and Nostradam in Leicester Sq..

* he also played an up-tempo dancer from Faye Hill & the Hill-ettes, sorry did not catch the title of that

* Shifty played Clara Hardy - Its You Acetate (No Idea if that was a cover-up or not, or just a one off Acetate)

* Arthur willis and the Soulful Dynamics - The Hurtin is over / Mars La Tour (so still the same 2-3 known copies??)

Other tracks played which are of interest that have now become available, well they are known and turn up if you have the cash, The Shaddows - Together again which had been about for a year or so at that point, Shifty bought the first copy, and said dean Anderson had it covered up, another biggie, Tommy and the Derby's - Dont play the role which was covered at the time by Butch; and a great Acetate from Sydney Barnes called Danger Zone, which is said to be in the collection of Dave Flynn..

Adey played the Devonnes - Do the Gittin up, which became available as a 100 Club Anniversary 45, a couple years later, and the brill Larry Banks - Oooh it Hurts me, which will be released on Kent Select on the 31st of this month, its taken some time but I'm there now!!! really looking forward to the next clutch of Kent 45's!!!

Shifty played Carol Woods - Heartbreaker on Perfecto 7, which he announced as being a newie at the time, seems it had been known in the 7ts and played at the Mecca? well thats what the bloke who sold me mine said anyway..

all in all a great show, and fabulous music.....

Cheers & thanks in advance..

Mal.C.thumbsup.gif

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest I KNOW NOTHING

"suddenly there's you" on reach label. is the detroit rhythym section song. here is a link to youtube. tony

Edited by I KNOW NOTHING
Social source share

"suddenly there's you" on reach label. is the detroit rhythym section song. here is a link to youtube. tony

nah its not

the shows here
instrumental on about is first track

believe a couple of members have this, maybe they can say more
but think its just as andy r says at the time and on the show
Social source share

Not that it's relevant to the Northern scene, but I've had the Shaddows 45 for almost 30 years (actually I've had a few copies), the record used to be pretty easy to find in northeast Ohio - the band was really popular in the area and played shows with the Raspberries among others. Too bad they didn't record it at a better studio.

Social source share

* Andy Rix was playing an Inst called the - Detroit Rhythm section which was big at the 100 club and Nostradam in Leicester Sq..

...edit...

and a great Acetate from Sydney Barnes called Danger Zone, which is said to be in the collection of Dave Flynn..

The 'Detroit Rhythm Section - I know Something' (as Andy christened it) is indeed an unissued instrumental taken from master tapes...I had access to them via a diffferent source to Andy, and we both ended up with it. Andy played it at the Notre Dame Scenesville and I played it at the Capitol Soul Club at the Dome...bit of a London anthem, dare I say? Oddly enough I played it at the VaVaVoom NYE doo a few weeks ago, which put a few smiles on faces and feet on the dance floor...probably 6 years since it had been played in the Smoke!?

I still have the original Jobete acetate of Sidney Barnes 'Safety Zone'...stunning track. Incidentaly, I first heard it at the Scala Club in London via Dean Anderson...told him there and then to let me know if he ever wanted to move it on...which he eventually did...much to my surprise/delight!

:D

Social source share

Clara Hardy is one off acetate. There's half the record in refosoul.

Tommy & Derby's is due for release by Gary Cape anytime soon.

thats Interesting cause Tim Brown put pretty much of the whole song as MP3 on his auction site recently along side that copy he had for sale..he must have known that as he never puts the whole song up on the records he's selling...

that Clara hardy, what a record it is..

cheers

M

Social source share

The 'Detroit Rhythm Section - I know Something' (as Andy christened it) is indeed an unissued instrumental taken from master tapes...I had access to them via a diffferent source to Andy, and we both ended up with it. Andy played it at the Notre Dame Scenesville and I played it at the Capitol Soul Club at the Dome...bit of a London anthem, dare I say? Oddly enough I played it at the VaVaVoom NYE doo a few weeks ago, which put a few smiles on faces and feet on the dance floor...probably 6 years since it had been played in the Smoke!?

I still have the original Jobete acetate of Sidney Barnes 'Safety Zone'...stunning track. Incidentaly, I first heard it at the Scala Club in London via Dean Anderson...told him there and then to let me know if he ever wanted to move it on...which he eventually did...much to my surprise/delight!

:D

The Carol woods was also played at the Capitol Soul Club, i think the cover up name was Carol anderson & the Agents. On hearing it Ian Levine told us he had played it at the mecca. :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert