Explanation Needed

ulyssees

Hi all.

You know how it is, you tell someone you're into Northern Soul and they say.....whats that? And 2 minutes later you find yourself looking at the totally bemused expression of the person who asked.

So in 10 words or less.....What is Northern Soul?

Over to you.

Yule.

Social source share

• Replies 44
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Hi all.

You know how it is, you tell someone you're into Northern Soul and they say.....whats that? And 2 minutes later you find yourself looking at the totally bemused expression of the person who asked.

Over to you.

Yule.

Mikey put up a brilliant explanation a few years back, unfortunately more than 10 words, but difficult to explain it in 10 words.

Enthusiasm, passion, soulful, danceable beautiful, powerful, moving, life changing music.........

Winnie :-)

Social source share

Mikey put up a brilliant explanation a few years back, unfortunately more than 10 words, but difficult to explain it in 10 words.

Enthusiasm, passion, soulful, danceable beautiful, powerful, moving, life changing music.........

Winnie :-)

Yes but they still wouldn't understand. I always go for the 2 word option - don't bother :D

Social source share

But l always say the same thing 'Music Sung By Black People from The 60's,70's' etc..................

" Oh , you mean Jimmy Hendrix , Hot Chocolate & stuff like that do you "..................................

Social source share

Guest Dr Pickles

Always get ready for the next question, which I got today from the MD.

"let me get this right.........

You drove from Somerset to Burnley on Saturday night, danced all night and drove home in the morning.

How did you manage that?"

Time to make a quick exit.

Doc

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I usually say it's a offshoot of Jainism without the surgical mask and insect broom. they usually leave me alone then...

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif...BRILLIANT, nearly swallowed my own tongue.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

You think describing Northern Soul is difficult.

Was asked what Modern Soul was the other day so I said 'do you know what Northern Soul is?'

They said yes so I said 'now move forwards 35 years & get rid of the silly clothes' :thumbsup:

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif.BRILLIANT...i have swallowed my tongue.

Social source share

Was asked what Modern Soul was the other day so I said 'do you know what Northern Soul is?'

They said yes so I said 'now move forwards 35 years & get rid of the silly clothes' :thumbsup:

well most still listening to what they listened to 35 years ago and silly clothes no longer fit so other than that nowt changed :lol:

Social source share

Hi all.

Over to you.

Yule.

Not 10 words or less but my answer is usually.....

"If you feel it you'll know. If you don't you never will."

(12 words close enough Yule ???)

End of conversation normally follows shortly after!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi all.

Over to you.

Yule.

'It makes me cream my pants'

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I just tell them to ask my brother..........................he knows every f@@king thing:lol:

He'd have to mush as you know fook all :thumbsup:

Social source share

Even more difficult when you have it tatooed on your wrist :lol:

l 'd like to say that l give up explaining years ago but l haven't!!....But l always say the same thing 'Music Sung By Black People from The 60's,70's' etc..................

This usually gets a grunt as a reply! :D:thumbsup:

I thought you had " use when not having a woman " tattooed on it .

Northern Soul ? attempting to describe it to someone wastes your time and theirs .

Malc

Social source share

I thought you had " use when not having a woman " tattooed on it .

Northern Soul ? attempting to describe it to someone wastes your time and theirs .

Malc

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

Conversation from the early seventies- whilst having last pint in the local...

" Right, Rick, lets get off for the train"

Straight Mate-" Why where are you going"

"Wigan"

"What for??"

"An AllNighter"

" What's that?"

" Club that's open till 8 in the morning"

"Wow, drinking all night, can I come"

" Well the don't sell alcohol"

" Oh, well. The women must be fit""

" Well, yeah , but it's not that type of Club"

"No drink, no copping off-- WHAT YOU GOING FOR"

"you don't get it-see ya next week"

Tony

Social source share

They said yes so I said 'now move forwards 35 years & get rid of the silly clothes' :yes:

have to say, I totally disagree with that, dont know if I could define it myself though!

Social source share

Even more difficult when you have it tatooed on your wrist :lol:

l 'd like to say that l give up explaining years ago but l haven't!!....But l always say the same thing 'Music Sung By Black People from The 60's,70's' etc..................

This usually gets a grunt as a reply! :thumbsup::hatsoff2:

A lot of the stuff you hear is definitely blue eyed rather than black. Not my bag, but i know some djs like Kitch and Dean, like to throw a bit in and some punters like it. So that 'Black' definition becomes lacking in defining the vast range of contradictions that is the 'Northern soul' scene..

Social source share

Hi all.

Over to you.

Yule.

:hatsoff2: being scripted dex at 59 oh an rare elite soul sounds ph34r.gif D the DRUG

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert