• Replies 77
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

5 of my faves are -

Maxine Brown - Out of Sight. Epic. Stunning LP. "Don't leave me baby"..Maxine's best in my book

Baby Washington - With you in mind, Lots of great dancers. Veep US / UA British

Jimmy James & The Vagabonds - The New Religion. Atco. Love this LP for all the tracks, but in particular the great "Aint no big thing"

Willie Tee - I'm only a man. Capitol. Stand out track - "Bring on the heartaches"

James Brown - Hell. Polydor. Best ever LP only track - " lost someone"

Edited by Keamus
Social source share

Esquires - And get away , all killer just brilliant .

Marvelettes - Sophisticated Soul , poppy as hell but who cares ?

Curtis Mayfield - Theres no place like America today - cant go wrong with Curtis brilliant .

Amercan Gypsy - American Gypsy , a bit leftfield but ace all the same .

Social source share

Of the top of my head ..... as well as some already mentioned - Dees, Marvin, Freddy Butler, etc

'Why Not Tonight' - Jimmy Hughes - UK Atlantic - fantastic Southern Fame

'Roots' - Curtis - Buddah - always my favourite by him - see Youtube for his wonderful performances on Old Grey Whistle Test from the album

Hypnotized - Linda Jones - Loma - her Turbo stuff is wonderful but this hangs together as an album better - better recording and pressing too

'His California Album' - Bobby Bland - Probe - his great return to form

'Totally Involved' - Jimmy Lewis - Hotlanta

Here Is...Barbara Lynn - Atlantic

'Facts Of Life' - Bobby Womack - always loved his early UA stuff the best

'You've got My Mind messed Up' - James Carr - Stateside - more wonderful Southern

'Super Dude' - Don Covay - Mercury

'There Is' - Dells - Cadet

'Live at The Harlem Square Club' - Sam Cooke - RCA - my favourite Cooke - epitomises 60's Soul performance

'The Immortal' - Otis Redding - Atco - posthumous release but as good an album as any

'Cry To Me' - Loleatta Holloway - Aware - Sam Dees all over it!

Social source share

Here`s a few from me:

Let it be me-Linda Jones.

For those that are into deep/down-tempo but If only we had me sooner is rather tasty.Great lp,one you can all the way throu :D .

Time has made me new-Van Jones.

80`s modern/boogie lp with a bit of sweet soul thrown in.Tough one to locate but worth checking out for: Title track,Let`s go this go and show me some respect.:D

Rising-Gemini.

80`s 2 step/connoisseur/Modern,great lp only a few average tracks but for me killers are::(You got )something,Can`t throw a good love,Everytime i see a pretty lady.:D

Love anonymous-The Masqueraders.

Don`t think this band need much introduction,i never had any of there records before i see em live at Prestayn a while back.I`ve made up for lost time since but shocking admission :D .

Social source share

Quite shocked Tempests LP hasn't got a mention yet. Despite the obvious 'Someday', there's many a good track on there.

Some great stuff already mentioned......Alice Clark, Leroy Hutson, Milli Jackson etc.

Odyssey self titled for me is one i'll never sell (unless i got a spare). Out of knowhere come two sublime SOULfull records from an otherwise sh*te prog rock effort.

Social source share

Jackie Moore - 'sweet charlie babe' (really love "playing both ends against the middle")

Howard Tate - 'get it while you can' (all the great songs are singles, but its still so good to hear all the way through!)

James and Bobby Purify - 'the pure sounds of...' (it has my favorite version of 'soothe me', which i don't think is released as a single?)

Detroit Emeralds - 'i'm in love' (the track "so long" is a great sunday morning tune)

Edited by ljblanken
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Oh, and Ralph Graham LP (the one where he's smiling on the front cover, crying on the reverse), can't for the life of me remember the title, but class all the way through.

Sonny Til returns has some great LP only stuff on it too

'Differently' on Sussex records....Excellent

Social source share

Off the top of my head:

Leroy Hutson - The man - Buddah / Curtom

Voices of East Harlem - Just Sunshine - both of their albums on this label

Chuck Jackson - Teardrops keep fallin'... - VIP

Sandra Wright - Wounded Woman - Demon

Luther Ingram - Do you love somebody - KoKo

Darrell Banks - Is here - Volt

Darrell Banks - Here to stay - Atco

Al Johnson - Peaceful - Marina

Carla Thomas - Memphis Queen - Stax

Plus loads more...Womack, Aretha, Johnny Taylor, David Ruffin, Marvin, Jerry Butler....

Social source share

Off the top of my head:

Leroy Hutson - The man - Buddah / Curtom

Voices of East Harlem - Just Sunshine - both of their albums on this label

Chuck Jackson - Teardrops keep fallin'... - VIP

Sandra Wright - Wounded Woman - Demon

Luther Ingram - Do you love somebody - KoKo

Darrell Banks - Is here - Volt

Darrell Banks - Here to stay - Atco

Al Johnson - Peaceful - Marina

Carla Thomas - Memphis Queen - Stax

Plus loads more...Womack, Aretha, Johnny Taylor, David Ruffin, Marvin, Jerry Butler....

Good call on the Luther Ingram John (and the two Darrell Banks, Sandra Wright and Lerot Hutson !)

Social source share

Eleonore Mills " This is " [ Astroscope ] Superb album , not a duff track , favourites are " Telegram " , " How can I love you " , " Fascinating , Devastating Man " ....

Willie Hutch " Season for love " [ RCA] Another brill . album " Let's try it over " , " Trying to understand a woman " , " When a boy falls in love " ," Walking on my love " ,and " The magic of love "

Soul Children " Friction " [ Stax ] One of the most complete albums of all time ...every track is a gem " We're getting too close " [ great dancer ] , " I'll be the other woman " , " Whats happening baby " ," Just one moment " .......plus plus ...

The Lovelites " With love from " [ UNI ] Faultless Chicago album , no skip tracks , " Certain kind of lover " " This love is real " ," You've hurt me now " ," Oh my love " , " How can I tell my mom and dad " etc ...

Brenda Holloway " The Artistry of " UK Tamla Motown only ....Another brilliant album , lots of tracks were singles which kinda shows the quality of this set .....

Great thread ....cheers ,Eddie

Social source share

how about these:

Isley Brothers Soul On The Rocks Motown

Dee Dee Warwick I Want To Be With You etc Mercury

THe Dells There Is Cadet

The Four Tops Four Tops Motown

Chris Bartley The Sweetest Thing This Side Of Heaven Vando

Jimmy Holiday Turning Point Minit

The Presidents 5.10.15.20.25.30 Years Of Love Sussex

The Artistics I'm Gonna Miss You Brunswick

Jackie Wilson Whispers Brunswick

The Eliminators Loving Explosions Brunswick

Gene Chandler The Girl Don't Care Brunswick

Various Action Packed Soul Action

Bobby Bland A Piece Of Gold Action

Tammi Terrell Irresistible

The Monitors Greetings Were The Soul

THe Ambassadors Soul Summit Artic

James Conwell Let It All Out Guinness

Baby Washington With You In Mind Veep

Gloria Lynne Happy And In Love Canyon

Sidney Joe Qualls I Enjoy Loving You Daker ( pisses all over his So Sexy Album from a great height)

Brothers Unlimited Who's For The Young Capitol

Family Circle Tet's Give Each Other Love Strawberry

Anthony White Could It Be Magic PIR

Etc

Dave

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Willie Hutch " Season for love " [ RCA] Another brill . album " Let's try it over " , " Trying to understand a woman " , " When a boy falls in love " ," Walking on my love " ,and " The magic of love "

Great thread ....cheers ,Eddie

If it had the 'crossover' 45 only version of " When a boy falls in love " it would be even better Eddie!

Social source share

John Reed gave me the idea, it's been done on EMS, so i thought why not here, covers all the years of soul from 1924 to next week.

I know we've had similar topics, but i think the forum likes to re-visit old topics, just like a refresher....just a bit of fun really, all i say is, don't come on and bang up huge lists....makes for dull reading, just add a few, give brief explanation etc....kids stuff.

Ok, i'm first so three from me to kick off with.

ALICE CLARK - ALICE CLARK - MAINSTREAM

So many good tracks that didn't get a 45' release, an absolute must have album, Don't You Care being my particular favourite, plus i bagged a nice demo some years ago, highly recommended for any 70's fans .

BOBBY BLAND - THE SOUL OF THE MAN - DUKE

Fabulous stuff from 1966, Bobby Bland just belting track after track out, got a few re-issues, so be careful, but the stand out track for me is, 'Lets Get Together', what a killer tune, atmospheric it has it all. (i did put a refo post for this with a few words about 7 years back, but i can't find it)

RAY ALEXANDER TECHNIQUE - LET'S TALK - LU-JUN

Another strong LP, a few excellent crossover type tunes, the pick for me is 'Save Me', it features Chris Bartley on lead vocals, quite a rare album on the Lu-Jun (Harlem Sound) label out of New York.

CRACKIN TUNE BRETT :hatsoff2:

TWO FROM ME "PORTRAIT OF THE ORIGINALS " for "Dont stop now "

ISLEY BROTHERS - "MY LOVE IS YOUR LOVE "

Edited by NEV
Social source share

how about these:

Isley Brothers Soul On The Rocks Motown

Dee Dee Warwick I Want To Be With You etc Mercury

THe Dells There Is Cadet

The Four Tops Four Tops Motown

Chris Bartley The Sweetest Thing This Side Of Heaven Vando

Jimmy Holiday Turning Point Minit

The Presidents 5.10.15.20.25.30 Years Of Love Sussex

The Artistics I'm Gonna Miss You Brunswick

Jackie Wilson Whispers Brunswick

The Eliminators Loving Explosions Brunswick

Gene Chandler The Girl Don't Care Brunswick

Various Action Packed Soul Action

Bobby Bland A Piece Of Gold Action

Tammi Terrell Irresistible

The Monitors Greetings Were The Soul

THe Ambassadors Soul Summit Artic

James Conwell Let It All Out Guinness

Baby Washington With You In Mind Veep

Gloria Lynne Happy And In Love Canyon

Sidney Joe Qualls I Enjoy Loving You Daker ( pisses all over his So Sexy Album from a great height)

Brothers Unlimited Who's For The Young Capitol

Family Circle Tet's Give Each Other Love Strawberry

Anthony White Could It Be Magic PIR

Etc

Dave

Some great choices there Dave ...

Social source share

John Reed gave me the idea, it's been done on EMS, so i thought why not here, covers all the years of soul from 1924 to next week.

I know we've had similar topics, but i think the forum likes to re-visit old topics, just like a refresher....just a bit of fun really, all i say is, don't come on and bang up huge lists....makes for dull reading, just add a few, give brief explanation etc....kids stuff.

Ok, i'm first so three from me to kick off with.

ALICE CLARK - ALICE CLARK - MAINSTREAM

So many good tracks that didn't get a 45' release, an absolute must have album, Don't You Care being my particular favourite, plus i bagged a nice demo some years ago, highly recommended for any 70's fans .

BOBBY BLAND - THE SOUL OF THE MAN - DUKE

Fabulous stuff from 1966, Bobby Bland just belting track after track out, got a few re-issues, so be careful, but the stand out track for me is, 'Lets Get Together', what a killer tune, atmospheric it has it all. (i did put a refo post for this with a few words about 7 years back, but i can't find it)

RAY ALEXANDER TECHNIQUE - LET'S TALK - LU-JUN

Another strong LP, a few excellent crossover type tunes, the pick for me is 'Save Me', it features Chris Bartley on lead vocals, quite a rare album on the Lu-Jun (Harlem Sound) label out of New York.

Great thread Brett - I'd go for the Alice Clark too but my favourites would Charms of the arms of love and I keep it hid.

Agree with the already mentioned Sandra Wright LP every track a winner and also Darrell Banks Here to Stay which is on my decks as I write.

Also like Jimmy Hughes Something Special and both Facts of Life LPs and so many more.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

Guest posstot

CHUCK JACKSON ANY DAY NOW WAND

I keep forgettin'.....any day now......the same old story.....watcha gonna say tomorrow......make the night a little longer....who's gonna pick up the pieces.....in real life.....angel of angels......the breaking point....everybody needs love.....the prophet.....just once.

This Album, has to be just about thee best music put onto vinyl, for so many different reasons. For the emotion and performance, for style of arrangement, songwriting prowess and for its importance(though not recognised) in respect of leading the way for many soul artists to come. Even the design of the sleeve..from how it encaptulates the emotion of whats inside. The birth of soul, no, yet for me probably the pinnacle of soul.

CHUCK JACKSON "ENCORE" WAND

An album so aptly named, as after "Any day now" there'd have to be an encore. This being Chucks 3rd Album release, the first being, "I don't want to cry"(which fitted as an introduction to Chucks talents, but didn't, i think it's fair to say, live up to his potential as a performer). Containing tracks equally as brilliant as the second of his Wand albums, Encore was a fitting follow up to Any day now......tracks such as;

Tell him i'm not home......tomorrow......two stupid feet.....this broken heart.....king of the mountain....invisible......another day....getting ready for the heartbreak.

Being, for me, the highlights of this album.

Not forgetting, the arrangers, producers and writers. Luther Dixon, Lieber-Stoller, Goffin-King, David-Bacharach and Van Mc Coy..to name but a few. So we mainly have the Brill Building to thank. Every Formula 1 car needs its Driver though.

MARV JOHNSON MORE MARV JOHNSON UNITED ARTISTS

Staying with a New York label, yet with (what would become) an "All-Star" Detroit line up, I'm chosing Marvs' Follow up album to Marvelous Marv Johnson; More Marv Johnson as a must hear/have. With names like Berry Gordy, William Robinson, Eddie Holland the world was witnessing the Birth of Motown. I think Berry was using the label as a vehicle to get his music "out there" and to amass the funds needed to set up his Tamla dream, back in Detroit. Where he could ultimately put together his own musicians...and produce his own unique sound true to Detroit. (which was also helped along by Hester-Wylie-Matthews influences on the cities sound...which Motown and Gordy can't claim to be all there own).

With songs like; Baby, Baby....I Love the way you love.....clap your hands.....ain't gonna be that way.....easier said than done......all the love i've got...river of tears. This album is a must because of it's place in soul music history, including individuals within there own personal developement and involvement within Detroits' black Musical Future.

GARNET MIMMS AS LONG AS I HAVE YOU UNITED ARTISTS

GARNET MIMMS and the ENCHANTERS CRY BABY UNITED ARTISTS

Wether you like your Soul with a beat and emotion...or with a Deep Blues influence. Both of these albums equaly fulfill your Hearts desire. Cry Baby Bleeds you into Garnets style of performance with some renditions of already infamous soul records....Consisting of songs like; For your precious love....cry to me and Dee Clarks Nobody but you. His pleading vocal and the arrangements of the highly orchestrated songs, just give you a lasting impression of quality. On his As long as i have you album, i feel a step up in class. Considerring the openning 'title' track as its introduction, the rest of the album has to stand up and be counted..with tracks such as; There goes my baby( a brilliant version by the way).....Tell me baby....every time.....look away(from a "northern" perspective) this album does just that.

Again with the involvement of Jerry Ragovoy, Gary Sherman and Burt Russell you couldn't go far wrong.

FREDDY BUTLER A DAB OF SOUL KAPP

With New York worrying about Detroits record sales, through Motown and its world wide success. I think the idea was to ty and cash in on some of the cities talent for themselves. In this case Freddy Butler and the Pied Piper Crew. My goodness we should be happy they did. Songs included; There was a time....**thats when i need you**....i like your style......i fell in love.....never let love go......they say i'm affraid.....this thing.....just because you've been hurt....You'd better get hip girl......Give me lots of lovin'....shes foolin you......deserted.

Every single track on here is a winner. One of a few Albums you can genuinely listen to both sides and enjoy every single note of every track. Infamously from the album, thats when i need you struck a chord more than any other, on, mass. Yet this somewhat deflected from the other Stand out tracks on the album. Which for me are....Deserted..you'd better get hip girl and give me lots of lovin. However as i mentioned, with the strength of tracks on here people will chose differently from me...as all the tracks are as strong as each other...truly a subjective soul album.

THE MAGNIFICENT MEN SELF TITLED CAPITOL.

White men can't jump. Well on the evidence of this album, i think you'll find that they can. If ever there was a case in point that Soul music isn't exclusiveluy a Black forte...the Magnificent Men are here to prove it. I would liken them in sound to the Tempests...only without the Black lead singer.

This group of Honkys' with the help of Horace Ott, and Sonny Saunders lay down some corkers on this album. Notibly from a Northern tinge; Just walk in my shoes( a superb version of Gladys Knight and the pips tune), I got news and Keep on climbing to name but a few. A must have album in my eyes.

THE SPELLBINDERS THE MAGIC OF..... COLUMBIA.

So, just to prove my point above wrong, comes the Spellbinders.....Produced by the Legend that is Van McCoy....this album is a show of Group soul harmony prowess...It's almost like a history of soul music in itself. There are Doo Wop Influences in some early sounding cuts...out and out dancable group soul stonkers, Cross over soul delites and then some sweet soul cuts to melt your mojo. This is a must buy Album, especially as some of the tracks are Album only released.

I'm not going to bother with the track listing as I'm tired and i'm off to bed....so far now, i'll leave you with these must have albums....and add more tomorrow.

Tatty Byyyy, tatty byyyy!!

As once Said by Ken Dodd, Diddy, No Doddy!!

Social source share

I'm surprised you haven't mentioned te one in your avatar. Although my fave is probably Black Moses.

One of my all time favorites is

Gene Mc Daniels - Headless Heroes Of The Apocalypse. Don't own an original copy yet, but it's one of the best albums: funky, jazzy, folky... Excellent.

Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes - Wake Up Everybody is a personal favorite also.

And Gene Chandler & Jerry Butler - One On One. How can you go wrong with these two?

I'll have to dig it out and give it another listen. From memory, I felt it was a bit disappointing

Tony

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert