1000 Lp's You Must Hear Before You Die

Guest Brett F

Guest Brett F

John Reed gave me the idea, it's been done on EMS, so i thought why not here, covers all the years of soul from 1924 to next week.

I know we've had similar topics, but i think the forum likes to re-visit old topics, just like a refresher....just a bit of fun really, all i say is, don't come on and bang up huge lists....makes for dull reading, just add a few, give brief explanation etc....kids stuff.

Ok, i'm first so three from me to kick off with.

ALICE CLARK - ALICE CLARK - MAINSTREAM

So many good tracks that didn't get a 45' release, an absolute must have album, Don't You Care being my particular favourite, plus i bagged a nice demo some years ago, highly recommended for any 70's fans .

BOBBY BLAND - THE SOUL OF THE MAN - DUKE

Fabulous stuff from 1966, Bobby Bland just belting track after track out, got a few re-issues, so be careful, but the stand out track for me is, 'Lets Get Together', what a killer tune, atmospheric it has it all. (i did put a refo post for this with a few words about 7 years back, but i can't find it)

RAY ALEXANDER TECHNIQUE - LET'S TALK - LU-JUN

Another strong LP, a few excellent crossover type tunes, the pick for me is 'Save Me', it features Chris Bartley on lead vocals, quite a rare album on the Lu-Jun (Harlem Sound) label out of New York.

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

• Replies 77
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Do they have to be soul LP's?

Since it's in Look At Your Box? I'd think so. If not, off to freebasing...

Gil Scott-Heron - Pieces Of A Man:

I don't think any written words can do real justice to this masterpiece. Conscious, sweet, hard, deep; all in the right amount. Great piano parts, melodic flute lines, heavy heavy bass and Gil's voice makes this the perfect album.

Curtis Mayfield - Curtis:

Another perfect album. So sweet it's hard not to melt when you're listening to it. Just listen to Miss Black America and you'll know what I'm talking about. We The People Who Are Darker Than Blue is one of the best black power songs ever written: "But there's the joker in the street loving one brother / and killing the other /when the time comes and we are really free / there'll be no brothers left, you see".

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I don't think any written words can do real justice to this masterpiece. Conscious, sweet, hard, deep; all in the right amount. Great piano parts, melodic flute lines, heavy heavy bass and Gil's voice makes this the perfect album.

Another perfect album. So sweet it's hard not to melt when you're listening to it. Just listen to Miss Black America and you'll know what I'm talking about. We The People Who Are Darker Than Blue is one of the best black power songs ever written: "But there's the joker in the street loving one brother / and killing the other /when the time comes and we are really free / there'll be no brothers left, you see".

What a great album, 'wild and free' totally shook me when i first heard it, what an incredible piece of music

Social source share

Well it's a Soul forum Pete.....but i've no problem with putting other things in.

Wasn't being facetious, it's just that there's a well known book of this title which deals with all kinds of music so thought maybe put 'soul' in the header if it's just soul.

I have another book, 1000 Singles you should here before you die, it's a crushing disappointment, starts off well in the 50's but by the mid 60's it's selecting really well known tracks, I was hoping to discover new music but I had actually got over 900 of the 1000 selections.

But are there 1000 soul albums that need to be heard?

Social source share

1/ Doris Duke = I'm A Loser . A truly superb lp,one i could not live without .

2/ Millie Jackson = Caught Up .Same as above.

3/ Millie Jackson = Still Caught Up . As good as the other Millie lp , great follow up.

4/ Garland Green = Jealous Kind Of Fellow. When i need a cheering up i always go to this lp, great writing ,great production and a great performance from Garland.

Social source share

ah so many indeed

MILLIE JACKSON -CAUGHT UP AND STILL CAUGHT UP [Quite possibly the 2 most soulful lps ever made -just immaculate in every sense of the word imo]

The Dells vs Dramatics [ah most DELLS lps could be listed but this is bloody brill]

EDDIE HOLMAN AND THE LARKS-SWEET MEMORIES- put out on universal love and featuring the unissued sweet memories and been so long -oh lord sweet soul heaven]

THE ORIGINALS-PORTRAIT OF THE ORIGINALS -[for the brilliantly crafted you want hearts and flowers and the awesome since i fell for you.

JOHNNY TALOR -RARE STAMPS -STAX [OH LOREY HE GOT UP THAT DAY AND SAID IM GONNA these mother f--kers whos the main man lol, [don davis produced ]

more later !!

HESITATIONS -BORN FREE -FOR lets groove-we can make it-keep on pushing etc !!

and every single impressions lp ever !!

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Wasn't being facetious, it's just that there's a well known book of this title which deals with all kinds of music so thought maybe put 'soul' in the header if it's just soul.

I have another book, 1000 Singles you should here before you die, it's a crushing disappointment, starts off well in the 50's but by the mid 60's it's selecting really well known tracks, I was hoping to discover new music but I had actually got over 900 of the 1000 selections.

But are there 1000 soul albums that need to be heard?

It's a bit of fun Pete....do you remember fun ?......I can lock the thread now if you would prefer......

ps...somebody change the title of the post and include 'Soul'....because i'm gonna' go do something different.wink.gif

Social source share

It's a bit of fun Pete....do you remember fun ?......I can lock the thread now if you would prefer......

ps...somebody change the title of the post and include 'Soul'....because i'm gonna' go do something different.wink.gif

Fucks sake I only asked a simple, logical question.

If thats too much trouble to answer then I'll leave you to your 'fun'.

Social source share

FreddieHughes-3.jpg

One of my favourite 60s albums.

VoicesofEastHarlem.jpg

Good album all the way through.

Modulations-1.jpg

I know that there will be someone who agrees with this one.

NormanFeels.jpg

Slept on 70s album.

LeonWare.jpg

Classic like all his 70s albums.

MarvinGaye-1.jpg

Most people knwo this one.

TerryCallier-2.jpg

I wouldn't say that this is true soul. It's more like a blend of soul, jazz and folk, but a classic album with great tracks from start to end.

Edited by Preben
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Fucks sake I only asked a simple, logical question.

If thats too much trouble to answer then I'll leave you to your 'fun'.

Bad day Pete ?.....i posted the thread about LP's on a SOUL FORUM......i sort of think that implies the LP's i'm on about would...err........ be SOUL related............or maybe i got it wrong....who knows.....have a nice night Peter.

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

excellent taste 2 of my fav lps curtis shone beyond belief on that lp some say his best momment !!

BAZ A

Social source share

Bad day Pete ?.....i posted the thread about LP's on a SOUL FORUM......i sort of think that implies the LP's i'm on about would...err........ be SOUL related............or maybe i got it wrong....who knows.....have a nice night Peter.

That's fine, that's all I asked in the first place.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

i like the album sleeves, so another couple from me...

THE DIRECTIONS AND DIRECTIONS BAND - BRUNSWICK

Brilliant early 70's flavours on this killer album, 'We Need Love'....what a brilliant record, an absolute dancer floor mover, sociopolitical lyrics that just get under the skin.

LEROY HUTSON - HUTSON - CURTOM

Another fantastic album, from the mercurial Leroy Hutson, 'Lucky Fellow' has been a modern soul classic since it's release, mine is the original Columbia records Test Press for Curtom records...

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I dont have many albums most have only one or two good tracks on.

California playboys trying to become a milliaonaire loadstone. all good tracks on this fairly hard to find album but think ady put it out on cd

mark

Well Mark, that's the point some LP's have one killer track, that never got a 45' release, so name those albums in this list.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Two more from me .

Shirley Brown = Intimate Storm, i love this lp sheer perfection.

Sandra Wright = Wounded Woman. In demand album and with just cause.

Wounded Woman, superb, i have this and the Truth 7" of 'Midnight Affair'...the LP take is the version for me.....awesome.

Social source share

Great topic Brett.

:thumbsup:

The was a very inspirational article in Voices From The Shadows No. 14 by John Lias entitled Top 100 LP's of all time, at the time albums that I didn't have in the collection I acquired most of them over a period of time. Here's 10 highlights for me :-

PAUL KELLY - DON'T BURN ME

PAUL KELLY - HOOKED, HOGTIED AND COLLARED

BOBBY WOMACK - HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS

SOUL CHILDREN FRICTION

DELLS & DRAMATICS - DELLS Vs DRAMATICS

LUTHER INGRAM - DO YOU LOVE SOMEBODY

OLLIE NIGHTINGALE - SWEET SURRENDER

DELLS - SECOND TIME

BOBBY WOMACK - POET 2

CLARENCE CARTER - LONLINESS AND TEMPTATION

Cheers Pat

Social source share

Bit of a 60's snob these days BUT from my deeeeep days check out Rance Allen - See what you done (Truth / Stax LP only) - this tune will genuinely blow your mind, no matter what your into. Will always have to thank Big H for putting me onto this, absolute killer. Dark room required. Find it now online if you don't know it. Will kill you. Dead.

Edited by mark w.
Social source share

MILLIE JACKSON - CAUGHT UP AND STILL CAUGHT UP

BOBBY WOMACK - UNDERSTANDING, FACTS OF LIFE, THE POET 1 and 2

DETROIT SPINNERS - Ist ATLANTIC ALBUM

TEDDY PENDERGRASS - 1st SOLO ALBUM

CHI-LITES - A LONELY MAN

MAJOR HARRIS - MY WAY

JJ BARNES/ STEVE MANCHA - RARE STAMPS

JOHNNY TAYLOR - TAYLORED IN SILK

ZZ HILL - THIS TIME THEY TOLD THE TRUTH

ISLEY BROTHERS - THIS OLD HEART OF MINE, 3 + 3

MARVIN GAYE - WHAT'S GOING ON

MARVIN GAYE/ TAMMI TERRELL - UNITED

DETROIT SPINNERS - MOTOWN ALBUM

To name a few from my collection

Steve

Social source share

Guest Brett F

real deal was Eddie -some say way ahead of his time etc,love this also!!

Wow, i enjoyed that,( i see we can now add youtube clips, well done to the site,) i hadn't heard that before Baz, your usual taste shines through fella'.

Brett

Social source share

Two more from me .

Shirley Brown = Intimate Storm, i love this lp sheer perfection.

Sandra Wright = Wounded Woman. In demand album and with just cause.

I'm surprised you haven't mentioned te one in your avatar. Although my fave is probably Black Moses.

One of my all time favorites is

Gene Mc Daniels - Headless Heroes Of The Apocalypse. Don't own an original copy yet, but it's one of the best albums: funky, jazzy, folky... Excellent.

Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes - Wake Up Everybody is a personal favorite also.

And Gene Chandler & Jerry Butler - One On One. How can you go wrong with these two?

Social source share

I'm surprised you haven't mentioned te one in your avatar. Although my fave is probably Black Moses.

One of my all time favorites is

Gene Mc Daniels - Headless Heroes Of The Apocalypse. Don't own an original copy yet, but it's one of the best albums: funky, jazzy, folky... Excellent.

Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes - Wake Up Everybody is a personal favorite also.

And Gene Chandler & Jerry Butler - One On One. How can you go wrong with these two?

Yes your right a fave of mine but IKES a very acquired taste and you either love his stuff or hate it i happen to love it.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

i reckon this is just subliminal -her voice etc-my fav from her !!

BAZ A

In my initial choices Baz.....i'll play this tomorrow at Dab of Soul anniversary night Nantwich.....unless somebody beats me to it..yes.gif

Social source share

check this out just incredible imho,always wanted to marry Millie but really dont think she would of settled in the north east !!! :lol: from caught up!!

Saw her twice at Manchester Apollo many years ago Baz, and she would not even come back to sunny Scunny.

If I was asked to nominate just one favourite all time album, Caught Up would be that one.

Stunning versions of I'm Through Trying To Prove My Love For You, I'm Tired Of Hiding, and Summer (The first time ).

Steve

Social source share

ah summer is simply bueatiful mate -shes got the lot, im still contemplating the forthcoming london date -although it a bummer that Betty Wright has cancelled !!

Saw her twice at Manchester Apollo many years ago Baz, and she would not even come back to sunny Scunny.

If I was asked to nominate just one favourite all time album, Caught Up would be that one.

Stunning versions of I'm Through Trying To Prove My Love For You, I'm Tired Of Hiding, and Summer (The first time ).

Steve

Social source share

Guest makstax

Just five from me for starters, bit of a mixture in styles but all proper soul :-

Otis Redding - The Great Otis Redding Sings Soul Ballards - UK Atlantic - ATL 5029 - 1965 - The first soul LP I bought as a 14 year old. Had to order it at Jacksons Music Shop opposite the old market in Mexborough and collect it the next week!

The Hesitations - Soul Superman - Canadian Kapp - KL1525 - 1967 - A present from a mate after his holiday in Canada - Every track pure northern!

Freddy Butler - With A Dab Of Soul - US Kapp demo - KL1519 - 1967 - Just a pure classy soul LP.

James Carr - A Man Needs A Woman - UK Bell - MBLL 113 - 1968 - This includes what is to my mind one of the most soulful performances ever in James' version of the Harlan Howard country song 'Life Turned Her That Way'.

Jackie Edwards - Put Your Tears Away - UK Island - IWPS 4 - 1969 - Also got this on US Veep VPS 16533 which includes a version of Scott McKenzies '(If You're Going to) San Francisco'.

Melv Kaye

Social source share

i just got my lp's out of being in storage for 3 years so ive been trailing through them this week (god i missed them!) heres some of my favs in no real order, its just as they are beside decks cos i was doing a cd for a mate

windy city - let me ride - chi-sound

latimore - more, more, more - glades

paulette reaves - secret lover - blue candle

george and gwen mccrae - winners together - cat

marie "queenie" lyons - soul fever - deluxe

al johnson - back for more - columbia

john edwards - same - aware

facts of life - sometimes - kayvette

eramus hall - your love my desire - westbound

chicago gangsters - blind over you - gold plate

lou courtney - im in need of love - epic

rance allen group - a soulful experience - truth

rance allen group - sanctified - stax

the directions - same - brunswick

lost generation - sly, slick and wicked - brunswick

candi staton - same - fame

freddie scott - i shall be released - probe

ronnie mcneir - loves coming down - motown

maze feat frankie beverly - live - capitol

linda jones - for your precious love - turbo

the new sounds - same - turbo

donny hathaway - everything is everything - atco

sam dees - the show must go on - atlantic............ this is my all time favorite lp

Harry thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert