Shiptown New Press Warning

Guest fryer

There are two pressing which are new being sold by howard biggs. He accepted money from myself and others on the understanding they were originals. please check your copies against the united matrix number below if you bought it in the last year. Very sad and a real mark on the legacy of a great label.

Barbara Stant - 'Real Man' (shiptown) United Records pressing number 63709 - January 2010

Barbara Stant - 'My mind holds on to yesterday' (shoptown) United Records pressing number 63895- Later than jan 2010

The pressing dates have been confirmed by united you may repeat them if you like: https://www.urpressing.com/

the email below confirms the fact they are new presses.

Hi beth,

Euan from Jazzman records here,

Can you give me the pressing date of this record below deadwax is united.

U - 63709M - A

Barbara Strant - Real Man (Ca-004)

Forward

|

Beth Proctor

to fryer

show details 15:00 (3 hours ago)

from Beth Proctor

RE: pressing enquiry from jazzman

January 2010

Hope you have a Blessed Day

Beth Proctor

United Record Pressings

615-259-9396 ext 106

I agree with you about being misleading, the center label was basically the same but we put our U# on any record that we cut, which deifinitley lets you know it was not an original

Hope you have a Blessed Day

Beth Proctor

United Record Pressings

615-259-9396 ext 106

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest adam leaver

Hi Euan

would it be possible to post up the correct matrix numbers? I recently bought a 'My Mind...' but the matrix is etched STR-70822. It does, however, look fairly new. Looking on Popsike it looks like a fair few copies have gone off. Maybe the same seller?

It might be helpful to have his ebay seller's ID also so that other bidders dont fall into the same trap.

Adam

Social source share

I very nearly won one of these myself........

saw a few copies sell last year and just assumed sombody had found a small batch.

wasn't there some uncertainty on the grooms 45 reagarding how old or new the pressing was a few years ago ? I had a copy with severe heat warp on the edge which I managed to totally trash trying to repair it.

Social source share

The recent ones Dylan are only a year or so old as far as I know. There was the original release then one a few years later that had (fast) under the title (this one a little faster and had either additional or fewer instruments, horns I think but not sure without checking). Now we have these recent ones.

Social source share

Hi Euan

would it be possible to post up the correct matrix numbers? I recently bought a 'My Mind...' but the matrix is etched STR-70822. It does, however, look fairly new. Looking on Popsike it looks like a fair few copies have gone off. Maybe the same seller?

It might be helpful to have his ebay seller's ID also so that other bidders dont fall into the same trap.

Adam

I bought a copy of 'My Mind.....' (fast version) from John Manship two or three years ago, etched matrix is SHIPTOWN 70822 - A GRT.

John will probably have date of sale in his database.

Won a copy of 'Real Man' on Ebay last week from a UK seller, still waiting on it due to post backlog. Fingers crossed it's a genuine copy and not a repress :huh:

soulmac.

Social source share

Hi Euan

Adam

In the runout groove look for a little U in a circle, that is on all modern 45s pressed at United. Further, as stated in the first post if the etchings U-63709 or U-63895 then they are not original. If your copy doesn't have these then you should be good..........

Social source share

I bought a copy of 'My Mind.....' (fast version) from John Manship two or three years ago, etched matrix is SHIPTOWN 70822 - A GRT.

Won a copy of 'Real Man' on Ebay last week from a UK seller, still waiting on it due to post backlog. Fingers crossed it's a genuine copy and not a repress :huh:

soulmac.

The story of the second press, the one with (fast) after/under the title is somewhere on Soul Source, will see if can find them bit later. They are genuine, done a few years after the first by I think the writer/producer or whatever Charles Hunter from original tapes/masters. The story might even be on Shiptown Records website?

Social source share

The story of the second press, the one with (fast) after/under the title

The flipside on the so called "fast version" has got (SLOW) written under it.

I suspect that the FAST and SLOW notations were added to make it easier for radio DJs to know which side to play, NOT to denote that the "new" version of MMHOTY was in any way "faster" than the old one (in that case it would mean that the flipside had been made "slower" as well and that just doesn't make sense).

post-1392-0-64768800-1295429084_thumb.jp post-1392-0-83539500-1295429087_thumb.jp

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Think the original doesn't have "dish-a-tune" on the label either. Looking at the scans the slow side is the A side.

Both versions of this song, and the different versions of the same flip, are on the forthcoming Soulscape Barbara Stant CD - which is presently at manufacturing and should be available around February 1st - details will appear on www.garryjcape.com

Edited by dewsburyborn
Social source share

Guest adam leaver

Won a copy of 'Real Man' on Ebay last week from a UK seller, still waiting on it due to post backlog. Fingers crossed it's a genuine copy and not a repress :thumbsup:

soulmac.

Hi - your etched matrix is, then, a little different to mine. There is also a kind of 'rubbed out' streak in the run off of my copy which looks like a previous matrix has been removed. Do you have this on your copy?

Social source share

Won a copy of 'Real Man' on Ebay last week from a UK seller, still waiting on it due to post backlog. Fingers crossed it's a genuine copy and not a repress :thumbsup:

soulmac.

Yours is the same as mine by the sounds of it. Bought mine around 6-7 years ago and never doubted it.

Social source share

Hi - your etched matrix is, then, a little different to mine. There is also a kind of 'rubbed out' streak in the run off of my copy which looks like a previous matrix has been removed. Do you have this on your copy?

No rubbed out streak on my copy.

The matrix also has a b or upside down 9 at about six o clock (these details are for the 'A' side "He's Still Your Man").

soulmac.

Social source share

Guest adam leaver

No rubbed out streak on my copy.

The matrix also has a b or upside down 9 at about six o clock (these details are for the 'A' side "He's Still Your Man").

soulmac.

that may well suggest its been pressed more than once then - or that he's doctoring some of the unity presses. That's some shady business

Social source share

Won a copy of 'Real Man' on Ebay last week from a UK seller, still waiting on it due to post backlog. Fingers crossed it's a genuine copy and not a repress sweatingbullets.gif

soulmac.

Anyone got the matrix details for an original copy of 'Real Man'.

Still waiting on my copy to arrive, posted out 12/1 recorded (Royal Mail are shite).

soulmac.

Social source share

Anyone got the matrix details for an original copy of 'Real Man'.

Still waiting on my copy to arrive, posted out 12/1 recorded (Royal Mail are shite).

soulmac.

Annoyingly i just sold my vg+ copy as i though i was getting a minter, but to a friend so ill ask him to give me the deadwax, fucking gutted im left short now.

Social source share

Just received my copy of '(I Found Me A) Real Man' today and the matrix has been buffed/rubbed off :thumbsup: . Looks like the source is trying to pass these off as originals. Will have to contact the seller and send it back.

Now anyone got an original for sale.

soulmac.

Edited by soulmac
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Correct matrix for Barbara Stant:

A side Deadwax CA-004A (very small runout groove.

B side Deadwax CA-004B (slightly large runout but still pretty small)

NO other marks in the runout at all, no scrapes or marks or stamps

the "black" text on the label is grey and faded as with many shiptown releases (the boot is dark black)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert