Matrix Numbers

KevH

I was wondering about matrix numbers.I think i understand the process of the stamped number in the run out,but unsure about "scratched in " numbers.

These weren't done manually were they..? Or is the term we use incorrect?.(i've read about certain producer/engineers doing this,how?).

How were matrix numbers that are "scratched out" , re-"scratched" in again.?

Sorry if this has been covered before,seem to remember a YouTube on this subject.

Kev.

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I was wondering about matrix numbers.I think i understand the process of the stamped number in the run out,but unsure about "scratched in " numbers.

These weren't done manually were they..? Or is the term we use incorrect?.(i've read about certain producer/engineers doing this,how?).

How were matrix numbers that are "scratched out" , re-"scratched" in again.?

Yes, scratched in by hand using a metal pointer.

Also, you may enjoy reading up about deadwax markings >>> Pressing Plant Info <<<

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Yes, scratched in by hand using a metal pointer.

Also, you may enjoy reading up about deadwax markings >>> Pressing Plant Info <<<

hatsoff2.gif

Hey Flynny - beat me to it, I was just about to point out your site.

I took a squint a few few weeks back to check when my Luther Ingram HIB Green Demo was pressed (Yep, West Coast press!) at Monarch. Jan or Feb 1967. Good work fella.

hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

I'm assuming that most of the hand markings were made when the record was mastered to the lacquer, and not inscribed onto the metal mother. Same for the stamps, although stamping a mother would be easier than scribing it.

When record masters were reused, info would be crossed out an edited. That would happen when a record was 'picked up' for a release on a different label. The new 'owners' would 'stop the presses' and have the master (lacquer or mother) altered with new info

Social source share

I'm assuming that most of the hand markings were made when the record was mastered to the lacquer, and not inscribed onto the metal mother. Same for the stamps, although stamping a mother would be easier than scribing it.

When record masters were reused, info would be crossed out an edited. That would happen when a record was 'picked up' for a release on a different label. The new 'owners' would 'stop the presses' and have the master (lacquer or mother) altered with new info

That's what i'm thinking George.Either the best job in the world....or the most tedious. .

Anyone got a metal scribe used on a rariety?.A new depth to collecting?:D

Kev.(officially the most anorak thread).:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert