Morris Chestnut - Too Darn Soulful

Hi All,

Someone today offered me a mint/mint- Morris Chestnut - Too Darn Soulful promo 45. There are two copies. One has the correct labels, while the other has the labels reversed. Both are in beautiful Amy company sleeves. Any idea on value these days?

Also, can anyone please let me know what should be etched in the deadwax? These are in the States, so they are not likely boots -- they looked proper to me.

Many thanks!

Tim

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi All,

Someone today offered me a mint/mint- Morris Chestnut - Too Darn Soulful promo 45. There are two copies. One has the correct labels, while the other has the labels reversed. Both are in beautiful Amy company sleeves. Any idea on value these days?

Also, can anyone please let me know what should be etched in the deadwax? These are in the States, so they are not likely boots -- they looked proper to me.

Many thanks!

Tim

Here is the Information that I posted in

>>> <<<

This could be explained elsewhere but If it is, I haven't seen it.

I've often wondered why one of the DEMOs has the Labels Reversed so I thought I would check things.

Just a Theory.

I'm not sure if they changed their mind regarding the "PLUG SIDE"

causing confusion with the Matrix or just Human Error & we may never know.

Clearly something Unusual Happened.

I think that when the Bestway Press was made, they probably wouldn't have played it & simply followed the Information Given.

Bestway Press - Labels on Wrong Sides.

I have been Looking at this and believe that the reason the Labels are on the wrong side

is because someone mixed the Matrix Numbers up between the Printers & Pressing Plant.

Clearly printed on the Labels (8008) & (8009) Corresponds with the Information on the Deadwax (8008) & (8009).

However when played the wrong song is in the grooves.

AMY_981a_DJ_Bestway-1.gifAMY_981b_DJ_Bestway-1.gif

Monarch Press - Labels on the correct sides for each title, but to achieve this the Matrix (8009) on the Label & (8008) in the Deadwax.

Of course the other side has Matrix (8008) on the Label & (8009) in the Deadwax.

AMY_981a_DJ_Monarch-1.gifAMY_981b_DJ_Monarch-1.gif

Another pointer to this theory is the Monarch Matrix Delta

# 65704 For "TOO DARN SOULFUL"

# 65704-X For "YOU DON'T LOVE ME ANYMORE" Which is the "PLUG SIDE"

Yet the "-X" Denotes the "B Side" on a Monarch Press.

Social source share

Hi All,

Many thanks!

Tim

This Plays The Correct Way A Side 800X9 preceded By A Stamped B And B Side 800 crossed out 9 and then 8 Value About £250 ?? Atb John.

Edited by mrtag
Social source share

Hi All,

Many thanks!

Tim

Hi Tim

Is this from the guy on Ebay. He seems to have a few, he sold one a couple of days ago and then sent out a few second offers to some friends in the states. He also offered them both correct label and reversed. He said he wouldn't ship to the UK !!!!!!! ?

Cheers

Dave

Social source share

Another pointer to this theory is the Monarch Matrix Delta

# 65704 For "TOO DARN SOULFUL"

# 65704-X For "YOU DON'T LOVE ME ANYMORE" Which is the "PLUG SIDE"

Yet the "-X" Denotes the "B Side" on a Monarch Press.

That reminds me Roger, I've at least two Monarch pressed 45s in which the "X" is on the A side, I can't recall off hand what they are (but I think I've made a note of them).

Maybe it's just a case of another one of those 'anomalies' made at the pressing plant - just a simple mistake by someone there?

Social source share

According to Popsike there are Bestway pressings of the demo with the labels on the correct sides as well as the more common 'mis-labeled' copies. Tefteller sold one in the last few years.

The only issue listed there appears to be a Monarch pressing. Is there a Bestway pressed issue as well? If issue owners could throw up some scans that would be greatly appreciated.

Also can anyone offer an opinion as to how the Monarch sounds? I had a BW demo with the labels reversed and it sounded magnificent, as their styrene usually did. As a rule their releases often sound much better than most US vinyl. Monarch, as we know, was often responsible for a pretty shoddy product. Their styrene loses its lustre pretty quickly and is very prone to marking easily and getting noisy after just a few plays.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

According to Popsike there are Bestway pressings of the demo with the labels on the correct sides as well as the more common 'mis-labeled' copies. Tefteller sold one in the last few years.

The only issue listed there appears to be a Monarch pressing. Is there a Bestway pressed issue as well? If issue owners could throw up some scans that would be greatly appreciated.

Also can anyone offer an opinion as to how the Monarch sounds? I had a BW demo with the labels reversed and it sounded magnificent, as their styrene usually did. As a rule their releases often sound much better than most US vinyl. Monarch, as we know, was often responsible for a pretty shoddy product. Their styrene loses its lustre pretty quickly and is very prone to marking easily and getting noisy after just a few plays.

my issue has the monarch pressing numbers with 8008 for the "too darn soulful " side. With the issue being so rare i would think that the bestway pressings were probably never done on an issue ( unless someone knows better)

Social source share

Guest Tom Walsh

my issue has the monarch pressing numbers with 8008 for the "too darn soulful " side. With the issue being so rare i would think that the bestway pressings were probably never done on an issue ( unless someone knows better)

My issue is the same its a monarch press.

Cheers,

Pete

Social source share

Hi Everyone,

It looks like this chap has sold about 5-6 copies on eBay at various points in the last 2 months, with a combination of correct DJ copies with the proper label on the proper side and the labels reversed.

I had a stall at a record fair yesterday I host, and this chap offered one of each (correct and reversed labels).

I had a chat with someone today that recommended getting the correct label copy but passing on the reversed labels.

Thoughts?

Cheers, Tim

Social source share

That reminds me Roger, I've at least two Monarch pressed 45s in which the "X" is on the A side, I can't recall off hand what they are (but I think I've made a note of them).

Maybe it's just a case of another one of those 'anomalies' made at the pressing plant - just a simple mistake by someone there?

Thanks John.

Monarch are so accurate with their delta numbers,

it must be a significant event to get the X on the wrong side.

At the time it was probably too late in the process to change things.

Social source share

Hi Everyone,

It looks like this chap has sold about 5-6 copies on eBay at various points in the last 2 months, with a combination of correct DJ copies with the proper label on the proper side and the labels reversed.

I had a stall at a record fair yesterday I host, and this chap offered one of each (correct and reversed labels).

I had a chat with someone today that recommended getting the correct label copy but passing on the reversed labels.

Thoughts?

Cheers, Tim

yip get the correct label :thumbsup::yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert