Trammps "stop And Think" (golden Fleece)

Sunnysoul

I know the 7" is listed in the Golden Fleece discography on Dave Rimmer's site

"3257 - The Trammps - Stop And Think / Trammps Disco Theme - 1975"

BUT I can't say that I've ever actually seen one for sale after all these years !!!

I know it got issued as a seven in some European countries.

Was it actually EVER issued in the US ??? Or were the rights to the label sold to CBS before it even got out ???

If so, does anyone have one to sell me !!!

With thanks !!!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I know the 7" is listed in the Golden Fleece discography on Dave Rimmer's site

"3257 - The Trammps - Stop And Think / Trammps Disco Theme - 1975"

BUT I can't say that I've ever actually seen one for sale after all these years !!!

I know it got issued as a seven in some European countries.

Was it actually EVER issued in the US ??? Or were the rights to the label sold to CBS before it even got out ???

If so, does anyone have one to sell me !!!

With thanks !!!

just the lp as far as i know

Social source share

The Golden Fleece copy is just a myth..

Aparently it was given a release number but never actually got issued..

Or so Im told..

I have a SPANISH copy with pic sleeve which is diffeerent to the German copy I sold to Soulmac..The German issue has the same photo of the 5 band members identical to the LP sleeve the track came from

The Spanish issue had a black and white photo of the band members but there are 8 of them instead of 5..STRANGE eh?

the gasher

Social source share

Dennis Harris, Jimmy Ellis, Michael Thompson, Earl Young, Doc Wade, Stan Wade, John Hart, Ron Kersey, Roger Stevens, John Davis & Fred Jointer.

The Trammps line up was pretty flexible. I have a promo pic with 11 members, the album "Where The Happy People Go" has 10 members on the cover and the albums "Zing" "Trammps" and "The Whole World's Dancing" show five members on the cover.

The vocal line up was pretty set at Earl Young, Harold "Doc" Wade, Stanley Wade, Jimmy Ellis and Robert Upchurch. Earl Young was also the drummer a lot of the time and the Wade brothers often played guitar and bass. Add to that line up all the fantastic musicicans like Ron Kersey, Bobby Eli, Ron Baker, Norman Harris etc etc etc- what is there left to say !

Social source share

The Trammps line up was pretty flexible. I have a promo pic with 11 members, the album "Where The Happy People Go" has 10 members on the cover and the albums "Zing" "Trammps" and "The Whole World's Dancing" show five members on the cover.

The vocal line up was pretty set at Earl Young, Harold "Doc" Wade, Stanley Wade, Jimmy Ellis and Robert Upchurch. Earl Young was also the drummer a lot of the time and the Wade brothers often played guitar and bass. Add to that line up all the fantastic musicicans like Ron Kersey, Bobby Eli, Ron Baker, Norman Harris etc etc etc- what is there left to say !

The Trammps were a whos who of Philly Soul weren't they !!! And with their connection to the Volcanos on Arctic too ...

Jimmy Ellis was one of the GREAT unsung soul vocalists, never got the credit he deserved because the Trammps were always dismissed (unfairly) as a disco group

ALWAYS WONDERED IS THIS THE SAME JIMMY ELLIS WHO DID THE NORTHERN BIGGIE ON CENTURY CITY ???

Social source share

Jimmy Ellis was one of the GREAT unsung soul vocalists, never got the credit he deserved because the Trammps were always dismissed (unfairly) as a disco group

I SO agree with you on this statement !

Social source share

ALWAYS WONDERED IS THIS THE SAME JIMMY ELLIS WHO DID THE NORTHERN BIGGIE ON CENTURY CITY ???

I really don't know, but I don't think it's the same guy.

:shades:

i'm sure you're right christian

that jimmie ellis is jimmie 'preacher' ellis who is primarily a dallas/fort worth-based bluesman

pic attached

can't see him as a member of the trammps somehow!

post-118-1127724772_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I really rate the Trammps. "Where do we go from here" has a great beat, and should get spins IMHO. Also "Trusting heart". The album with zing, hold back the night etc was years ahead of its time. "Toms song" is a great instrumental.

Probably too new/poppy/popular for some tastes, but worthy of a play in "open minded" venues.

Lofty

Social source share

Ted , dont muck about with sound files, just buy the Golden Fleece LP blind, the whole LP is brilliant from start to finish !!!

The album came out twice, once on Golden Fleece (PIR in the UK) and then as "Disco Champs" after the Trammps hit really big. The second version of the album is remixed by Tom Moulton and has extra tracks too. It out on CD with four of the original mixes from the first version of the album.

"Where Did We Go From Here" got Northern play at the time. What a great track- either version!

Social source share

Anyone see them when they came over in the 70s? They appeared at The Stables in St Asaph! What a band, not only that but a great group of showmen too, that was the first time I saw anyone do the 'Robot' dance. Robert Upchurch was with them and I still recall his killer heartbreak version of the Gladys Knight hit, Part Time Love.

Slim.

Social source share

I really rate the Trammps. "Where do we go from here" has a great beat, and should get spins IMHO. Also "Trusting heart". The album with zing, hold back the night etc was years ahead of its time. "Toms song" is a great instrumental.

Probably too new/poppy/popular for some tastes, but worthy of a play in "open minded" venues.

Lofty

The first northern record I bought was "zing went the ping of my harp" then I bought "hold back the night", or was it the other way round i can't remember, top group,

B p.s. if a tramp in america is known as a bum, what does the word tramp mean in american

Edited by biddu
Social source share

Guest stromberg

Ted , dont muck about with sound files, just buy the Golden Fleece LP blind, the whole LP is brilliant from start to finish !!!

:rolleyes:

I bet it also holds their "I know that feeling", and what a cracking tune that is! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Stefan

Social source share