Hy-tones On Southern Artists

Guest Dan

• Replies 32
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

thanks all (even those with painted on ears)

pop record...robert lee holmes jr...freddie waters...ted jarrett...the ted jarrett???....pop record???? the hytones???? dear oh dear.... :lol:

Social source share

Whats that got to do with the price of fish still sounds like white American college boys

they certainly don't look like them ted

ted jarrett is probably the pre-eminent nashville soul, blues and r&b man of all time

mind you, takes all sorts of taste to make the soulful world go round doesn't it

i've always loved it!

Social source share

they certainly don't look like them ted

ted jarrett is probably the pre-eminent nashville soul, blues and r&b man of all time

mind you, takes all sorts of taste to make the soulful world go round doesn't it

i've always loved it!

It does Dan i like Fleetwood mac Rumours LP above any soul lp Stevie Nicks voice of an angel

Social source share

It does Dan i like Fleetwood mac Rumours LP above any soul lp Stevie Nicks voice of an angel

great voice she has indeed ted

talking (off topic) about fleetwood mac, have you ever tried lying in the grass under a tree on a hot summers day listening to albatross nice and loud on headphones

almost a trippy experience

possibly my favourite instrumental of all time...ahem...i mean double cooking is...er sorry i mean bari track...no, makin up time....

me too... wink.gif

Pat Brady....Lee Otis Valentine "I love you just the same" whistling.gif

that's the fellah chalky, good memory goes with good taste

Personally i think the A-Bet 45 "Bigger And Better" is a far more soulful record...that's if it's the same group which i think it is.

Mark Bicknell.

same group, both written by robert lee holmes jr mark

agree bigger and better is also excellent but (from an early memories pov) YDEKMN shades it for me

mind you my wife says the music sounds like a cycling scene from a carry on film, and she's right, too, so that has mildly affected it for me

Social source share

agree bigger and better is also excellent but (from an early memories pov) YDEKMN shades it for me

mind you my wife says the music sounds like a cycling scene from a carry on film, and she's right, too, so that has mildly affected it for me

Its hard to believe they are the same group but i bow to greater knowledge

Albatross was my parents favorite record and got real fed up ith it but Rumours driving through the country side Bliss

Social source share

I thought it was the same group i have the A-Bet 45 but not the other one so could not compare credits etc. plus the records are upstairs...lol

I just think YDEKMN sounds out of tune to my ear just might be the production..each to his own.

Regards - Mark Bicknell

Social source share

I don't like this record, too wishy washy and poppy, whatever the singers may look like it sounds like something that should be filed under "MOR" or "entertainment". "Bigger & Better" is better but I am not so fond of that either. whistling.gif

Social source share

I don't like this record, too wishy washy and poppy, whatever the singers may look like it sounds like something that should be filed under "MOR" or "entertainment". "Bigger & Better" is better but I am not so fond of that either. whistling.gif

god forbid that soul should be entertainment eh christian wink.gif

i know what you (all) mean, it's not the rawest or grittiest sound ever but it just has something for me. i've always been more into the mid-tempo sounds anyway and maybe i'm coloured by memories of when and where i first heard it (100 club 1985/6/ Ian Clark i think, say no more) . if i heard it for the first time now, maybe i'd think differently (doubt it but who can say)

Social source share

now there's a surprise....a record you don't like :Dlaugh.gifwhistling.gif

You really should strive to improve and widen your repertoire Chalky, your jokes are becoming a bit worn and stale methinks. laugh.gif:D

Social source share

You really should strive to improve and widen your repertoire Chalky, your jokes are becoming a bit worn and stale methinks. wink.gifwhistling.gif

have you swallowed a swedish-to-english dictionary christian? or been watched old black and whites from the 30s laugh.gif

Social source share

have you swallowed a swedish-to-english dictionary christian? or been watched old black and whites from the 30s laugh.gif

A combination of both. :D

only the same as your first response when ever a record is mentioned Christian whistling.gif

Not true, it is only when bad records are mentioned. Please note how I only minutes ago commented favourably on the Magnetics on Sable.

wink.gif

Social source share

my wife says the music sounds like a cycling scene from a carry on film, and she's right, too,

PMSL whistling.gifwink.gif

Still love it mind. Constant floorpacker for Pat Brady

Social source share

Not true, it is only when bad records are mentioned. Please note how I only minutes ago commented favourably on the Magnetics on Sable.

:)

Oh come on Christian your even more cantankerous than i am. :lol:

Derek

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Its a great tune. perfect for the timeit was played, and picking up a copy for a tenner would be as good as watching us win the Ashes!

I would despair about certain people not liking it, if they didnt dislike 95% of the records on the Northern Soul scene anyway. :)

Social source share

Ian, Mikey, Byrney...you boys all have taste, what can I say?

Inspired by this little thread, I decided to look into the Hytones and made a tiny bit of progress.

This may be common knowledge so if it is I apologise in advance, but:

Robert Lee Holmes Jr, the writer of both YDEKMN and BAB (among a number of other tunes) sadly died about five years ago. However, I did manage to get hold of his widow yesterday. She has got 40 copies of YDEKMN and 30 of BAB plus loads of unrealeased tapes, including what she described as some 'four to the floor, stomping, northern sounds with big production, big vocals, lots of horns and some great arrangements'. It's all languishing in her basement and she's happy to give it to me!*

Freddie Waters is dead and no-one knows where Skeet Alsup is, apparently.

However, Mrs Holmes did give me details for Eddie Frierson, the lead singer, who is still alive. I haven't raised him yet but if and when I do I'll obviously post anything interesting.

Ted Jarrett, the maestro behind labels such as Poncello, Spar and Excello, is still alive (Ace/Kent have done a lot of his stuff, of course) and very friendly and approachable. He has a book coming out shortly called You Can Make It If You Try: The Ted Jarrett Story of R&B in Nashville, authored by Ted Jarrett with Ruth White, which I would think will be a great read.

Anyway, not much further on but a bit.

cheers all

Dan

*Sadly, that's a lie: she didn't really want to talk about those days at all and said she had no mementos. But a nice pipe dream.

Social source share

Think Pinchers just payed £1700 for Bell copy, according to geordie anywho

The pinches didnt get it in the end, as soon as they showed serious intrest up to giving the £notes the guy backed off and said he was keeping it. did that with a few others, he had them in a sales box and as soon as anyone said theyd have whatever record, he said "Im not selling now" think he was judging what people thought were decent. (why boither putting them up for sale and then keeping them...Makes no sense).

I think the bell copy he has was andy dysons once apon a time

Geeooooordie

Social source share

Reminds me of theme tune from 'Man about the house' :)

Social source share

Has anyone got a copy for sale? (First time I've used this, so not sure if this should really be in the 'Wants' section)

Been chasing (and missing) a decent copy for a long, long time ever since the days of Pat's Lee Otis Valentine and The Lost Souls c/u

If you have a copy and it's in great condition I'd be very interested

c.penn@lyreco.com

Thanking you in anticipation

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert