Tony Colton - I Stand Accused

Guest SteveA

I'm not normally a fan of British beat ballads, but I heard this on a Mark Le Marr audio prog on a British Airways flight recently. (It's not the Jerry Butler song). I thought it was brilliant. Has it ever appeared on cd? Presumably the original is v. expensive.

Gather he appeared in a variety of 60s groups & went on to produce Yes (pewk) & now produces in Nashville.

Respect to Mr. Le Marr - the man knows a hell of a lot aboutr music.

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'm not normally a fan of British beat ballads, but I heard this on a Mark Le Marr audio prog on a British Airways flight recently.  (It's not the Jerry Butler song).  I thought it was brilliant.  Has it ever appeared on cd?  Presumably the original is v. expensive. 

Gather he appeared in a variety of 60s groups & went on to produce Yes (pewk) & now produces in Nashville.

Respect to Mr. Le Marr - the man knows a hell of a lot aboutr music.

link

Its on Pye International UK or Pye cant remember which

Social source share

Its on Pye International UK or Pye cant remember which

link

Definitely Pye, bought this off Dean Anderson when only the UK promo copy existed, back in mid 80's when it was played extensively up here :unsure: , a while before proper copies turned up, even longer before the US copies as I seem to remember it being rumoured as UK only.

Said before, great record in its time but not sure want to hear it now, think it might spoil some memories!!

Think Ady C knows of the singer, not sure the story, but definitely not the Man City goalie!!

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Coorrr forgot all about this record - very nice tune indeed - used to be played at lot at Droylsden .... don't know how much it'd be worth now though sorry

link

sold phil broardhurst my copy in late 80,s abc dj copy for 150 stil worth about same both uk issue and demo on pie worth about 200.a monster at tonys empress ballroom late 80s :unsure:
Social source share

sold phil broardhurst my copy in late 80,s abc dj copy for 150 stil worth about same both uk issue and demo on pie worth about 200.a monster at tonys empress ballroom late 80s :unsure:

link

If you collect British its supposed to be the equivalent of the Holy Grail.

Went on Manships auction for 200+ recently.

Its a souless crap record.

Col.

Social source share

Coorrr forgot all about this record - very nice tune indeed - used to be played at lot at Droylsden .... don't know how much it'd be worth now though sorry

link

remember it well there Mandy at the old Droyly town niters and Hyde Botanical Club on a Thurs - ah memories - droylsden had one of the best dancefloors ever

Grant

Social source share

Definitely Pye, bought this off Dean Anderson when only the UK promo copy existed,

link

I don't understand this quote - 'when only the UK promo existed' - I had an issue throughout the 80's, bought it for £25 as an unknown. Bought a demo from Grammar School records in Rye in about 92 for £75. Swapped it with Richard Domar for something or other. The issue is way harder than the demo but the demo would go for £200 or so. The Merseybeats did a great version of the same song on Fontana, much faster. Also, Elvis Costello did a good version of it on Get Happy.

Social source share

Can anybody upload the Jerry Butler version so that we can all make an informed comparison.?

For me it's a completely unconvincing vocal perfrormance and easily one of less soulful of the Britsh tributes to Soul. Compare this to how much closer Long John Baldry got to making a Soul record on his version of 'The Drifter'.

https://the.soulclub.org/stream/Long_John_B...The_Drifter.ram

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert