Bedroom/record Room Collection Selections

Mark Bicknell

Tim - I Need Your Love - Celtex 102 - A tasty little tune this one out of Chicago, a really delightful 45 that should be far more exspensive than it's £8/10.00 for an issue/stock perhaps double that for a promo, a semi known hidden gem of a tune that's just waiting to go massive.

:lol:

I have one of those for sale too whistling.gif

£20 delivered though (mark admits his pricing his out of date whistling.gif:P )

Shane

Social source share

• Replies 184
  • Views 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

McKinley Mitchell - Gypsy (Sandman)

This is a brilliant late-60s sounding crossover tune with a smooth mid tempo laid back beat which breaks out during the choruses and breaks with great brass and strings whilst McKinley tells his story of a drifter's life on the road. Sophisticated soul.

Social source share

Tim - I Need Your Love - Celtex 102 - A tasty little tune this one out of Chicago, a really delightful 45 that should be far more exspensive than it's £8/10.00 for an issue/stock perhaps double that for a promo, a semi known hidden gem of a tune that's just waiting to go massive.

link

Had this one for a good long while myself Mark.... storming uptempo type.... played it out a couple of times last year at Ponds Forge.... got a few "what was that last track" type queries.... just needs air time IMO whistling.gif ....

Social source share

:P

I have one of those for sale too  whistling.gif

£20 delivered though (mark admits his pricing his out of date  whistling.gif   :P )

Shane

link

£5 for postage Shane :P .... you gonna hand deliver on your paper round :lol::P ....

Social source share

Didn't even know you had it Shane.... post was to suggest it's a £15 tune as I know you sell for a price and send for free.... hence the "postage" comment of £5 whistling.gif ....

link

i get ya.

its in my box at £20 and free postage is my 'selling point' whistling.gif:P

unlike a recent seller on here who wanted postage extra on a £400 record :lol:

Shane

Social source share

i get ya.

its in my box at £20 and free postage is my 'selling point'  whistling.gif   :lol:

unlike a recent seller on here who wanted postage extra on a £400 record  :P

Shane

link

£20 is still "cheap" for Tim.... one of those that "sounds" as though it should be more.... last saw one in a box for £15 at Sherries, though label was a bit worn....

Maybe the the postage was for a "free beer" :Pwhistling.gif ....

Right.... where's your next lot of selections Mark :P ....

Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

1O more off the lunch time special menu.....................................

BUDDY TURNER - YOURE WHATS MISSIN IN MY LIFE - OCEAN ARIOLA

DAVE LOVE - BABY HARD TIMES - WORLDS

NEO EXPERIENCE - PARADISE - SAHARA

THREE PIECES - I NEED YOU GIRL - FANTASY

WALES WALLACE - SOMEBODY I KNOW - BRC

FIVE SPECIAL - THE MORE I GET TO KNOW YOU - TEAI

SCIENTISTS OF SOUL - BE THAT-A-WAY SOMETIME - KASHE

SPECIAL DELIVERY - THIS KIND OF LOVE - SHIELD

BRENTON WOOD - TWO-TIME LOSER - DOUBLE SHOT

FOUR TOPS - ASK THE LONELY - TAMLA MOTOWN

Social source share

Three before teatime gang....oh and Shane that's two bags of nut's you owe me now mate...lol

Gody Colbert - Baby I Like It - Revue 11037 - Produced by Leonard Jewell Smith which is no suprise as this track holds the same backing as 'All My Good, Good Loving' which Mark White has already mentioned here, so we have the same backing but a different song and it's simply devine, arranged by Gene Page this is a classy record make no mistake with a half decent flip too 'I Wanna Thank You' not sure of the value on this but seen it for sale at £40.00 a bit back perhaps £60.00 now with todays prices being what they are.

The Incredibles - I Can't Get Over Losing Your Love - Audio Arts 701 More of a forgotten oldie this one but what a record Northern Soul with huge testicals and another tasty flip as well 'Crying Heart', the top side has pure dance floor appeal and would go down well at the more forward thinking oldies based events today.

No idea of the value at all maybe £25.00 for the nice looking promo and a little less for the issue?????

The Exsaveyons - I Don't Love You No More - Smoke 600 - This oh so cheap record £8.00 perhaps less has always been a monster tune waiting to happen in my book, produced by company owner George Blackwell famed for his Northern Monster 'Can't Lose My Head' also on Smoke out of Newark, New Jersey, you see this record everywhere or used to at least, if you do not know this under no circumstances pass it by if you see one for sale, a proper group record and as good as it gets really.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

1O more off the lunch time special menu.....................................

BUDDY TURNER - YOURE WHATS MISSIN IN MY LIFE  -  OCEAN ARIOLA

DAVE LOVE - BABY HARD TIMES  -  WORLDS

NEO EXPERIENCE - PARADISE  -  SAHARA

THREE PIECES - I NEED YOU GIRL  -  FANTASY

WALES WALLACE - SOMEBODY I KNOW  -  BRC

FIVE SPECIAL - THE MORE I GET TO KNOW YOU  -  TEAI

SCIENTISTS OF SOUL - BE THAT-A-WAY SOMETIME  -  KASHE

SPECIAL DELIVERY - THIS KIND OF LOVE  -  SHIELD

BRENTON WOOD - TWO-TIME LOSER  -  DOUBLE SHOT

FOUR TOPS - ASK THE LONELY  -  TAMLA MOTOWN

link

Fantastic selections and you have included possibly one of my all time records certainly in my top five ever being 'Scientists Of Soul', what a wonderful tune, if it was a one off it would be four figures instead of it's cheap price status.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Great thread Mark, now going to dig out the ones I have and the ones I havent am sure will be on tape somewhere in that bag of 1000 tapes I have with no tracklists, almost tempted to go and try and find the right tape, only almost mind. Some real beauties being mentioned on here.

Have dug out some now to try and regain my title as king of the underpriced and underplayed (held for about 30 seconds in 1984 and even then only in my own head wicked.gifwicked.gif ) No idea of prices so not even tried an uneducated guess but almost all under £50 I think, many well under.

5 60's

New Silhouettes - We Belong Together (Jamie) Stafford c/u ? for ?, great mid tempo, throaty vocals, builder.

Steve Mancha - You're Still In My Heart (Groovesville) Great mid tempo from my man of the 60's soul stylee, great vocals and pulsing backing.

Ollie & The Nightingales - Mellow Way You Treat Your Man (Stax) Unusual style for this label, lolloping (?) slightly faster than mid tempo

Claude Baby Huey - Feel Good All Over (Early Bird) Great slightly up from mid tempo dancer, good vocals, gets me going every time.

Kim Tolliver - Get A Little Soul (Sure-Shot) Probably be classed as R&B in these genrefied times, but great raunchy dance soul for me, always loved this style and thought should have one real up tempo monster.

Kenni Rossi - Dont Lose This Love (Arctic) Slower than slow, walking pace but great (blue eyed?) soul, too slow for even an ender now maybe, but believe it or not I first heard Keb playing this many moons ago.

5 70's

Chuck Overton - Is It Possible (Kapp) - Had this for years for the other side (I,m So Thankful) but only recently flipped this over for a far better over tenty/cross overy type sound, great backing.

Steptones - Let The People Talk (IX Chains) Blind buy, and very surprised, good 70's dancer with great vocals.

Frankie Gearing - Spinning Top (Beale St) Brilliant uptempish dancer, once played by Robin "Daddy" Salter, and typical of his great taste, believe its gathering popularity again so maybe not right for this thread but what the heck, its superb.

Jean Plum - Look At The Boy (Hi) Great sultry and sexy soul, just sublime and many more words beginning with s. Was surprised how many people didnt know this back in 80's, not sure about now but again one for the dancing round the bedroom naked (just remember to close the curtains!).

Universal Mind - Reach Out For Me (Red Coach) Finish off with some happy clappy life affirming disco (yes it is disco, I love disco there I have confessed), makes me smile loudly every time I hear it. Think may have seen this on the Trout-Nightingales playlist lately so maybe monster in the camp sites by now.

Whew that was good fun.

Cheers

Jock

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Jean Plum - Look At The Boy (Hi) Great sultry and sexy soul, just sublime and many more words beginning with s. Was surprised how many people didnt know this back in 80's, not sure about now but again one for the dancing round the bedroom naked (just remember to close the curtains!).

link

What an image :ohmy::yes::P Have/had a UK issue of this which I got for a couple of quid.. :unsure:

Going back to earlier, didn't know there were two versions of Brad Lundy... must investigate :yes:

Edited by rachel
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Patience Valentine: Unlucky Girl (SAR)

Nowher near as expensive as her biggie. £15-20 should secure you a copy of this totally under-rated midtempo.

link

i recently got hold of another of patience valentines tunes ....."waking up to a dream " Thrush ...very very nice 70's that i will spin at Soul Or Nothing in october

Davie

Social source share

Missed the main course tonight fell asleep on the sofa....hard life this being off on the sick lark...lol only one before bedtime and what a little beauty it is too. More tracks to follow over the next few days, we have plenty to go at here don't we?

Jock simply outstanding selections mate, think of the stuff we missed, passed up, sold or don't know yet lol...this music is wonderful...bring it on.

The Royal Jokers - Love Game (From A To Z) Wingate 020 - This record is so cool, so good and still oh so cheap i think, has it all, class Detroit from Golden World subsidiary Wingate, this outfit are far from jokers as they proceed to go through all the letters of the alphabet with a slant on love related comments to each letter fantastic stuff, mid paced tempo with a typical bouncing Motor City groove that blows me away, another very easy record to find and i bet it's under £20.00, not heard this played out too much over the years so still has plenty to offer at the venues being very much an underplayed very underated tune again this one is up there with some of the Detroit big ticket items in terms of it's quality sod the price.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

What an image  :ohmy:   :yes:   :P Have/had a UK issue of this which I got for a couple of quid..  :unsure:

Going back to earlier, didn't know there were two versions of Brad Lundy... must investigate  :yes:

link

Oi you have some respect for your elders, or at least some pity :D !!

Theres also a very good version of BP by Deena Johnson on Wild Duece, must dig that out for a play also.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Just counted back on this thread and i've mentioned 53 records, a few more to go at yet but over to you guys as i don't want to come across as a smart arse...lol

Good thread though certainly been well looked at with over 2000 hits and it's only been up a couple of days.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

i'll dig some out tomorrow but i doubt they will be unusual lolol

Davie

Social source share

Jimmy Helms - You're Mine You - Symbol 923- Arranged by Bert Keyes this Juggy Production simply takes me to another place, a superb down to mid tempo end of a set type of stuff, fantastic voice, awesome emotion and possibly one of the hardest Symbol demos to find, issue/stock copies are around the place anything from £30.00 to £50.00, the standard symbol issues as The Poets etc. seem to be more common that the straight Black design but either way you are buying a quality tune.

Tommy Tate - I'm Taking On Pain B/W Are You From Heaven - Okeh 7242 Ok Mark White will be in trouble here as this is one of the best if not the best double headers in my collection, two huge awesome sides it's hard to pick the best side so i conclude a draw here it's so hard to pick a winner, both big productions, Tommy Tate has a powerhouse voice and does the buisiness here with two outstanding sides, price wise got to be £150.00 at least if not a little more, play it loud and even the neighbours will cry.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

Social source share

Oi you have some respect for your elders, or at least some pity  :yes: !!

Theres also a very good version of BP by Deena Johnson on Wild Duece, must dig that out for a play also.

Cheers

Jock

link

Sorry :unsure::ohmy:

Yes love the Deena Johnson version :yes:

Social source share

Jimmy Helms - You're Mine You - Symbol 923- Arranged by Bert Keyes this Juggy Production simply takes me to another place, a superb down to mid tempo end of a set type of stuff, fantastic voice, awesome emotion and possibly one of the hardest Symbol demos to find, issue/stock copies are around the place anything from £30.00 to £50.00, the standard symbol issues as The Poets etc. seem to be more common that the straight Black design but either way you are buying a quality tune.

Tommy Tate - I'm Taking On Pain B/W Are You From Heaven - Okeh 7242 Ok Mark White will be in trouble here as this is one of the best if not the best double headers in my collection, two huge awesome sides it's hard to pick the best side so i conclude a draw here it's so hard to pick a winner, both big productions, Tommy Tate has a powerhouse voice and does the buisiness here with two outstanding sides, price wise got to be £150.00 at least if not a little more, play it loud and even the neighbours will cry.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

Apart from the fact that I absolutely loved living with you & Jacqui (to which I owe you so much) these are some of the reasons why I miss our little sessions in the loft :unsure:

link

Social source share

Mandy don't mention or tell them about the loft, ok i will then apart from being a record room it doubled as shall we say a room for pleasure seekers, we had it all, whips, chains,a full selection of outfits, nurse, nun, santa suite (my favorite) and Mandy you left you French maids costume there (Mandy's favorite) it's still in good condition apart from the holes in the tights but i caught my toe nail on them so will get you a new pair.....lol

Mark Bicknell.

link

Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

got me lookin through boxes i aint seen for time

just played these 7 records....

STAGE IV - JUST ANOTHER GUY -- MILLIE

LIFE - TELL ME WHY -- REPRISE

125th ST CANDY STORE - LOVING YOU BABY IS SO VERY HARD TO DO -UPTITE

SANDRA RICHARDSON - STAY HERE WITH ME -- INTER/SOUL

THE LOST FAMILY - BLOW MY MIND -- MUSIC BAG

SOFTOUCH - AFTER I GIVE YOU MY ALL -- PRODIGAL

THE ULTIMATIONS - WOULD I DO IT OVER -- MAR-V-LUS

GONNA BE ERECTING A "TENT" TOMORROW

SHALL SELECT A FEW APT RECORDS .............................

Social source share

got me lookin through boxes i aint seen for time

just played these 7 records....

STAGE IV - JUST ANOTHER GUY  --  MILLIE

LIFE - TELL ME WHY  --  REPRISE

125th ST CANDY STORE - LOVING YOU BABY IS SO VERY HARD TO DO -UPTITE

SANDRA RICHARDSON - STAY HERE WITH ME  --  INTER/SOUL

THE LOST FAMILY - BLOW MY MIND  --  MUSIC BAG

SOFTOUCH - AFTER I GIVE YOU MY ALL  --  PRODIGAL

THE ULTIMATIONS - WOULD I DO IT OVER  --  MAR-V-LUS

GONNA BE ERECTING A "TENT" TOMORROW

SHALL SELECT A FEW APT RECORDS .............................

link

Would it be ok if i just sit back in the tent enjoy and learn a little or maybe i'll dip me toe in with one or two...lol

Is it a big tent?????

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

Would it be ok if i just sit back in the tent enjoy and learn a little or maybe i'll dip me toe in with one or two...lol

Is it a big tent?????

Mark Bicknell.

link

aint got a clue till i see it...............................

a feel a 70s selection comin on though...........

Social source share

Hello again

Heres 5 more from last night

Adams john-So in love-Silver Bull

After an overly long repetitive start our man comes in with a stonking mid to up tempo tune. He shares his name with an ex president of the USA. I think that finding a copy of this record would be easier than finding the curret US President (after a crisis).

Patty Stokes-Good girl/Is it true-Mir-a-don

Is it true seems to be gaining in popularity, and rightly so Crossover perfection. Flip the record over for more superb female (and male) vocals. A crucial double header set to rise.

Donna Frisco-the same things-Showtime

one of Ian Levines "Rarest of the rare" reviewed in Togtherness magazine some time ago. After a false start this obscurity, from i think Detroit moves along @ a steady pace with strings a plenty in the backing, and fantastic vocals from Donna. Perhaps good potential for some spins ?

Jerry Roberts-OK Girl-Karate

Bobby darin co-written & set @ just over Beat balad speed this record has everything required to break "Big", except perhaps the possibility that it may be a little on the rare side. Let me know if youve got one !

Sheila Hearn-loves gotta start happening-Chartmaker

Nashville midtempo from 1970, with one of the best US label designs I've ever seen & quality pressed by R C A. A stop start mid tempo mover that builds to a tremendous climax with an excellent sax acompaniment. Possibly rare ?

Regards Ritchie. :unsure:

Social source share

Here we go again it's breakfast time with Bicknell, great selections coming in here now from everyone thick and fast, starting off today with a couple of Detroit winners...enjoy.

The Rivieras - You Counter Feit Girl - Riley's 369 - This one has been sitting on the shelf on and off for about 15 years perhaps longer, i picked this one up for peanuts via Soulbowl i think for about £8.00 if my memory serves me correctly. Like so many records out there this has yet to have it's day on the scene, this Joey Kingfish production is powerhouse Detroit up tempo soul of the highest order, Riley's Records was owned by Diamond 'Jim' Riley who also had Diamond Jim Records both logos produced some superb recordings from the likes of The Tempos, E.J And The Echoes and others.

I was suprised to see that this one now books at around £150.00 should be double that in terms of quality but again the price has really nothing to do with it when records are as good as this.

Bee Gee Stans Of Detroit - Front Page Love - Tal-Vert 1802 - A corker of a record which has always been talked about and often included on collectors tapes, a nice early sounding production with a delightful backbeat and vocal performance, sounds fantastic nice and loud through a sound system but has not been played that much at the venues over the years, again not an exspensive record at maybe £30.00 give or take a few quid, i might give this some turntable action at Soulsville in Leeds in a couple of weeks time just to see what the boys think????

A worthy record to fit in the Detroit section of all collections.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.........More to follow!

Social source share

Still got a couple of slices of toast left so heres possibly the record of the day and it's still only early.

The Intentions - Don't Forget That I Love You - Philips 40428 - This Harthon production out of Philadelphia is one of the best down tempo group redords i hold in my collection, not sure of their ethnic background as this group could be blue eyed but this matters very little, the harmonies on this create instant tear jerking emotions, leaves me in a complete mess everytime i play it. as the lead singer pleas 'I wear this uniform for the sake of the land', so he's off to war and he's busted up inside as he's leaving his love behind.....i'm crying just thinking about it.

This was once another £10.00 tune way back but now possibly around the £50.00 mark perhaps a little more, you don't see too many copies of this for sale so snap it up if you see it, it won't set too many dance floors on fire but for a gut renching soulful moment this is a top tune.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Thought i might give you a few to chew on along with Marks slice of toast :yes:

The Mellow Fellows - My Baby Needs Me - Dot

Crossover perfection springs to mind, smooth backing and oh so smooth vocals shouldn't be to long befor this starts creeping up in value, Been knocking on the doors for far to long this.... think the going rate is around the £40 mark but a bit of hunting you can pick one up cheaper

E.J & The Echos - Put a smile on your face - Diamond Jim

Superb down tempo straight out of Detriot, gives you go goose bumps every time you hear this, reckon still about £15

Enjoy :unsure:

Edited by Baz
Social source share

Still got a couple of slices of toast left so heres possibly the record of the day and it's still only early.

The Intentions - Don't Forget That I Love You - Philips 40428 - This Harthon production out of Philadelphia is one of the best down tempo group redords i hold in my collection, not sure of their ethnic background as this group could be blue eyed but this matters very little, the harmonies on this create instant tear jerking emotions, leaves me in a complete mess everytime i play it. as the lead singer pleas 'I wear this uniform for the sake of the land', so he's off to war and he's busted up inside as he's leaving his love behind.....i'm crying just thinking about it.

This was once another £10.00 tune way back but now possibly around the £50.00 mark perhaps a little more, you don't see too many copies of this for sale so snap it up if you see it, it won't set too many dance floors on fire but for a gut renching soulful moment this is a top tune.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

Oh dear Mark, don't be filling uo eating your toast, :ohmy: it is a lovely tune though...

:unsure::yes::yes:

Social source share

Ok here's my 5 or the day

Tony Daniels: How Lonely (Sport)

Not sure if this is a forgotten oldie or just over looked because apart from the few spins from me I've never heard it out. For the record it's got the lot. Uptempo Detroit dancer with just the right vocal, breaks etc. £60-70 I think.

Voicemasters: You've Hurt Me Baby (Bamboo)

£20 should secure this cracking mid-uptempo dancer that has just the right touch of crossover about it to make it just right for now

Chimes: The Begining Of My Life (Down To Earth)

Bongo-fuelled crossover perfection. Has been mentioned in dispatches a few times on this site and is very highly rated. Buy it blind for 320 and trust me you won't be disappointed.

Junior McCants: The Boy Needs a Girl (King)

Brilliant mid-uptempo Northern dancer that's been an occasional spin in Dublin for the past 7-8 years. Totally over-shadowed by their biggie but worthy of spins in it's own right. Think the price might be creeping up to the £50 mark now.

Carl Douglas and The Big Stampede (Okeh)

Cracking Northern from, I assume, Mr Kung-Fu (please correct me if I'm wrong). Uptempo dancer that might be alittle old school for some but I like it.

Best

Honest John

Social source share

Another three before lunch...i really must get a hobby or a life...lol

The Exceptionals - Unlucky Girl - GRT 48 also came out on Way Out 101 as The Exceptional Three Featuring Ruby Carter - This is out and out mellow crossover one for Mr Brett Franklin without a doubt very early 70's i would think 71-73 that era, awesome song, awesome lead vocal from Ruby Carter, i picked my GRT copy up about three years ago for £15.00 about half it's book price, exspect to pay around £50.00 for the Way Out release same record so really not a problem, a real floater of a tune that has so much potential and very possibly one that has already featured in the tent....lol.

The Stratoliners - What Do You Want With My Love - Federal 12568

There has been a bit of a buzz on this record recently and rightly so, recorded around 1971 this is another stonking tent type record, issue/stock copies which i have paid only £25.00 for this off Mick Smith only a few yeaars back, going for a lot more money now and must be around £75.00 if not more, a bit of hunting you may find it at a more reasonable price, again this will shoot up in price with a few more spins and is sure to have it's day as a big record, very upbeat with a sublime production.

The Festivals - Hey Girl B/W Checkin' Out - Blue Rock 4076 - Two yummy sides here, both oh so good, i was reminded how good this record was again from Kim Cook aka Cookie when she played 'Checkin' Out on my radio show a couple of years back, it then took me a while to find a nice white demo for around £60.00 i think, worth a bit more than that i would think now, The Festivals did another nice record 'Music' on Smash which is a good cheap group record.

The two Blue Rock sides here are just stunning and work well in the tent and Northern rooms.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

a lunch time selection from the garden "TENT"

BETTY WRIGHT - MAN OF MINE -- ALSTON

exellent t.k production from 1977..startin to gain plays.............

AL HUDSON & SOUL PARTNERS - WHEN YOUR GONE -- ATCO

from 1975 ...al hudson at his best

MIDNIGHT - KEEP ON WALKING BY -- ARIOLA

produced by kenny lynch 1977...either youll love it or loathe it

SOLID SOLUTION - THINK ABOUT IT GIRL -- SILVERSPOON

top dancer stand out track off loving you album 1978

BUDDY MILES - IM JUST A KISS AWAY -- COLUMBIA

from 1974 produced by johnny bristol....top class uptempo dancer

BELOYD - GET INTO YOUR LIFE -- 20 CEN

quality 1977 release produced by chuck davis & melvin ware **awesome**

T.N.J.s - DONT FORGET ABOUT ME -- CHESS

fantastic b side of falling in love 1974

KING TUTT - YOUVE GOT ME HUNG UP -- FUN CITY

stunnin up-tempo dancer from "79" happy feelin record !!!!!!!!!!!!!

LAWRENCE HILTON JACOBS - WONDER WOMAN -- ABC

taken from the self named titled album in 1978....wonderful modern soul

JAN JONES - INDEPENDENT WOMAN -- DAY-WOOD

produced by j.a.brinson 1980....first heard ian clark play this ***

WHISPERS - WHERE THERE IS LOVE -- JANUS

again album track taken off "bingo" album....wonderful dancer

BESSIE BANKS - DONT YOU WORRY BABY -- QUALITY

for me this has it all 1976...2 sublime sides..what soul is all about

THE TOPICS - BOOKING UP BABY -- MERCURY

mid-tempo at its best ..from 1973......still finds room at quality soul nights

THE PERSUADERS - TRYIN TO LOVE TWO WOMEN -- CALLA

from 1976 ..startin to gather pace...my £1 bargin from king bee records

ALMETA LATIMORE - THESE MEMORIES -- MAINSTREAM

one of my all time faves,produced by leonard jones from 1975..**stunnin**

Edited by taylormadesoul
Social source share

Mmmmm.............thought this thread was about those cheap as chips and forgotten little gems at the back of the box. How about

Liz Lands - Don't Shut Me Out (Onederful)

link

the opening thread doesn't mention anything about cost/rarity.

good thread this though, however a few words about the songs of your choice would make a better read than just a list. we can look thru manships for lists :unsure:

this thread is what the forum should be about in my opinion. nice to see a bit of passion and thought rather than bitching and back-stabbing. :yes:

Shane

Social source share

Great thread :unsure:

Here's five, none expensive, with brief sound clips in case don't know, sorry if mentioned already, though can't see them

Dave Blocker - Nothings Gonna Change Me - Robere

Haven't played this in years, don't remember the vocals being this reverby, but a great mid-tempo (Stafford?) tune

Chaumonts - Loving Soft Soul - Bay Sound

Gorgeous slow- to mid-tempo soul from Baltimore

Deon Jackson - Ooh baby - Carla

One of the all-time great Detroit artists IMO and this is magnificent mid-tempo cheapness

The Exception - You Always Hurt Me - Capitol

Great joyous infectious uptempo, better than the Impressions IMO, which as Richie Benaud might put it is 'not an impossible task, but pretty fucking close to it.'

George Byrd - I'm Available - Pay-Tons

Absolutely brilliant I think and while this is a bit pricey on this label you don't have to 'pay tons' as it's also on TRC and 25 quid tops on that(?)

dan

Social source share

Handfull from the Doghouse......

Eddie Bo - Fence Of Love - Seven B

Great 60s Soul with an R&B edge. Sadly overlooked by people who dismiss his work as purely Funky. Being from New Orleans may well mean that titles like this will become harder and harder to locate.

Paid a tenner for mine some years ago, but would expect to have to pay around the £50 mark now.

Johnny Davis - You Gotta Crawl To Me - Bandit

Haven't a clue where this release comes from , but it's a cracker. Cheap as well, as it's obtainable for around a tenner.

Chino Feaster - Pretty Baby / The Girl I Love - Shipp

Late 60s? double sider, one a gritty RnB/Soul thing, the other a breezy Crossover tune.

Got one in my sales box at what I consider the right price of £25.

The Five Du-Tones - Sweet Lips - Onederful

Overlooked mid-sixties release, gritty but very dancefloor friendly... perhaps it's beacause you can buy one for under £20 that it's so neglected?

Claude (Baby) Huey - Keep It To Myself - M.I.O.B.

Seen people raving about his other releases, but this one never seems to get the credit it deserves..... late 60s hard Soul and then some...

Paid £30 for mine a few years ago (Most I've ever paid for any of his 45s!)

WOOF!

Social source share

Mmmmm.............thought this thread was about those cheap as chips and forgotten little gems at the back of the box. How about

link

Mark, you have beautiful home made chips, chip shop chips which can be very tasty, even those burger joint chips or are they called fries????? some cost 75p a bag others a quid all can be tasty at whatever the price...lol i never mentioned there was a price cap on this thread, it's just developed into the lesser known and some cheaper inclusions, if we started on the big ticket stuff that's pretty pointless as most folk know the story behind them and somene would bound to pipe up with the 'you flash bastard comment', i posted a playlist on here once with comments on each record and because some of them were the bigger ticket stuff i was shot down in flames and sighted as showing off so best we stick with the format here, ten pound or a thousand pound if someone rates a tune then bring on the information.........chip anyone....lol

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

A few more 'cheap as chips' goodies ...... to me anyway!

OUT A SIGHTS - MY WOMAN'S LOVE - SARU

JOHNNY MOOR - HAVEN'T I BEEN GOOD TO YOU - WAND

SOULNOTES - DON'T MAKE ME BEG - WAY OUT

BILLY BUTLER - GOTTA GET AWAY - OKEH

GEORGE WYDELL - FUNNY FEELING - TANGERINE

TOMMY TUCKER - THAT'S HOW MUCH - FESTIVAL

SHIRLEY WHALLS - WHY AM I CRYING - KING

CARL HALL - MY BABY'S SO GOOD - MERCURY

WILLIE TEE - FIRST TASTE OF HURT - GATUR

FESTIVALS - YOU GOT THE MAKINGS OF A LOVER - SMASH

Social source share

OUT A SIGHTS  - MY WOMAN'S LOVE -  SARU

JOHNNY MOOR  - HAVEN'T I BEEN GOOD TO YOU -  WAND

SOULNOTES  - DON'T MAKE ME BEG -  WAY OUT

BILLY BUTLER  - GOTTA GET AWAY -  OKEH

GEORGE WYDELL  - FUNNY FEELING -  TANGERINE

TOMMY TUCKER  - THAT'S HOW MUCH -  FESTIVAL

SHIRLEY WHALLS  - WHY AM I CRYING -  KING

CARL HALL  - MY BABY'S SO GOOD -  MERCURY

WILLIE TEE  - FIRST TASTE OF HURT -  GATUR

FESTIVALS  - YOU GOT THE MAKINGS OF A LOVER -  SMASH

link

Crisp beautiful melt in your mouth type of chips here Joan, not a speck of greese in sight and not a limp greesy one listed...top tooooooooooooooooones.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Johnny Davis - You Gotta Crawl To Me - Bandit

Haven't a clue where this release comes from , but it's a cracker. Cheap as well, as it's obtainable for around a tenner.

You're right about this one Joe, it's brilliant. One of those records where the gaps in the sound are almost as important as the music.

It's from Chicago, quite an interesting story too.

Bandit records was set up by a guy called Arrow Brown who had travelled to the mid-west from Mississippi to work in a soup cannery.

In the late 60s he went off the rails and set up a harem-type commune with a dozen women (i dunno george...where did it all go wrong, eh?) on Martin Luther King Drive, subsisting off these women's welfare cheques.

He earned other dough from dealing weed and fencing bits and pieces, apparently.

He set the place up as a recording studio in 1969 (it ran till 1981) and named his label Bandit in tribute to his earlier existence.

He died in 1990 or 1991 and his family chucked all his old master tapes away, together with all records and paperwork, which is a bit of a pity.

As for Johnny Davis, he was murdered in 1972, shortly after the above record was released - various stories but the main suggestion is that he was thrown headfirst from a building and then his body was stuffed into a rubbish incinerator.

I managed to speak to Arrow Brown's son a while back but he was not very forthcoming unfortunately. However, there are bits and pieces about him and the label on the web, which I've culled for the above, and a small reissue label called Numero records is releasing a CD of Bandit stuff later this year called Eccentric Soul, the Bandit Label.

If you go here:

https://www.notlame.com/Compilations/V/A/Pa...NTRICSOUL2.html

there is a clip of You've Got To Crawl To Me along with three or four other Bandit tracks.

Social source share

I believe I may have been responsible for this confusion. At about the same time as Mark started this thread, I started another asking for recommendations for records under £25. When I saw Marks thread and saw the comments he'd made about each record, it was then I said about this was just what I was looking for and then I asked him for values. This thread is about sitting down at home and just playing through your collection and maybe just re-appraising records you may not have played in quite a while (or indeed just forgot you had) IMO. :D

Voicemasters: You've Hurt Me Baby (Bamboo)

£20 should secure this cracking mid-uptempo dancer that has just the right touch of crossover about it to make it just right for now

Although I prefer this side, the flipside "If A Woman Catches A Fool" isn't too bad either! :(

Social source share

I'm just gonna slip the odd one or two in the mix from now on, sorry missed lunch and teatime selections due to being at home with my boy, i'm the master at speg bol.......yummy.

Time to get out the kleenex...this is awesome!

Jimmy Gilford - Heartbreaker - Solid Hit 103 - Written by J.J.Barnes a Solid Hitbound production, this record is pure perfection, very down tempo aka a beat ballad, if Roy Hamilton - The Panic Is On (MGM) etc. is your kind of groove then Mr Gilford is up there with the best of them, his other two known records also rate up there with the Detroit biggies, Nobody Loves Me Like My Baby - Thelma, and I Wanna Be Your Baby - Wheelsville 101 which are also two worthy records, 'Heartbreaker' is just that very worthy indeed from it's haunting intro you are there with this mans pain, talk about records that have me in bit's this is one of them, i've had my white promo for years think i paid a fiver for it way back, i'm sure i've seen a demo listed on a sales list for £100.00 but i could be way off on this, stock/issues should be around £30.00 but who knows, put it this way if i did'nt have this i would gladly part with a ton to get it, his voice is velvet, his emotion creates a masterpiece of a record.......................AWESOME!!!!!!! This ain't Northern it's more than that if you understand me.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

WILLIE TEE - FIRST TASTE OF HURT - GATUR

Oooh is this cheap, for some reason I thought it wasn't.. please tell me it is

:(:D

Social source share

Will somebody please go and pick Mark up Saturday take him out all afternoon, then get him a comfortable chair in the Greatstone.(Not to far from the bar)........ :(

Hey Big man if i wasn't going to the 100..i'd come collect you myself. :D

Brett

Social source share

Oooh is this cheap, for some reason I thought it wasn't.. please tell me it is

:D:D

Came out three times on Gatur, One with a differnt flip is really hard then the other two are around 200-300 :(

Social source share

Going through the Detroit shelf earlier pulled out these and gave them a spin not heard some of them in ages,

some are well known some lesser known,and none that would break the bank :(

Magictones_Great Day-Ram-Brock

Perfections-Girl you better hurry-Tri-City

Superlatives-Don`t let true love die-Dynamics

Pat Lewis-No Baby,No-Solid Hit

Sam E Solo-Tears keep falling-Ruby

Mighty Lovers-Ain`t gonna run no more-Soulhawk

Cody Black-Going,Going,Gone-Ram-Brock

Four Sonics-Tell me you`re mine-Sepia

Eddie Parker-Crying Clown-Triple B

Albert Jones-I`m still in love with you-Tri-City

Four Voices-Summer kind of love-Voice

Perfections-Don`t take your love from me-Drumhead

Dave f............

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Great thread :(

Here's five, none expensive, with brief sound clips in case don't know, sorry if mentioned already, though can't see them

Haven't played this in years, don't remember the vocals being this reverby, but a great mid-tempo (Stafford?) tune

Chaumonts - Loving Soft Soul - Bay Sound

Gorgeous slow- to mid-tempo soul from Baltimore

Deon Jackson - Ooh baby - Carla

One of the all-time great Detroit artists IMO and this is magnificent mid-tempo cheapness

The Exception - You Always Hurt Me - Capitol

Great joyous infectious uptempo, better than the Impressions IMO, which as Richie Benaud might put it is 'not an impossible task, but pretty fucking close to it.'

George Byrd - I'm Available - Pay-Tons

Absolutely brilliant I think and while this is a bit pricey on this label you don't have to 'pay tons' as it's also on TRC and 25 quid tops on that(?)

dan

Have you heard "just like a ship" verve - nice tune also !!!

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert