Bedroom/record Room Collection Selections

Mark Bicknell

Great thread Mark. Only sorry I've got to sign off now! Look forward to seeing further selections when I log on tomorrow - Lou Bond.........good call, but then they all are mate! Final one from me for now:-

The Admirations - Don't Leave Me (One-derful)

What would that be going for if it was rare? See ya.

Social source share

• Replies 184
  • Views 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Great thread Mark. Only sorry I've got to sign off now! Look forward to seeing further selections when I log on tomorrow - Lou Bond.........good call, but then they all are mate! Final one from me for now:-

The Admirations - Don't Leave Me (One-derful)

What would that be going for if it was rare? See ya.

link

A grand at least Mark......pure quality, lets talk soon need to platy catch up.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Well it's lunch time and time for a soulful snack main meal to follow later, seems this thread is proving popular with well over 500 hits at this stage, keep em' coming......... Just five records for lunch...enjoy!

The Companions "Be Yourself" - General American 711 Out of Philadelphia this time out also recorded by Honey And The Bees however that version is a big ticket item, The Companions hold their own with their version, dynamic vocals, mid paced and you fall in love with this record instantly, always been twenty quid and well worth a punt if you don't know it.

Harold Burrage - More Power To You B/W A Long Way Together - M-Pac 7229 This is cruching hard edged soul of the highest order from Chicago from one of George Leaner's legendary logos, there have been many outstanding records played on the scene via M-Pac, Mar-V-Lus, One-derful, Toddlin Town and Midas all part of the same group, Admirations, Ringleadrs,Accents, Blenders, Inspirations, Ivories/Ivory's, Big Daddy Rogers, Joseph Moore, Sharpees, Otis Clay and so on, Harold Burrage was one of the man men behind the scenes and infront of the microphone at the company and this offering is simply as good as it gets as he's a true master and a true R'n'B great. £50.00 i reckon perhaps more for this one.

Jimmy Norman - I'm Leaving (This Old Town) Mercury 72727 written by Jimmy Norman, arranged by Richard Tee this is stunning, as good as his other Mercury side 'Family Tree' but a bit more down tempo, pay the £100.00 or so on this one and have a real Soul moment with this fantastic singer.

The Four Voices - We Live In The Ghetto - Voice 1113 - Far more common than there monster on the same logo 'My Love Is Getting Stronger' but very much of the same high quality, fantastic group record again this one has it all, possibly over looked and over shadowed by the other record but i reckon could prove hard to find, again hard to value this one but must be around £50/75.00 bracket but this is just a guess. Whatever the price it's a must have record if you like the male vocal group groove as i do.

The Venturas - Baby Be Mine - Daniels 501 - From 1968 this one out of Chicago, has a fantastic backbeat on this track with a slightly light vocal but it works oh so well, seen this listed recently for £200.00 but used to sell for around £50/60.00 so you might be lucky and get it at the more realistic price, this is my second copy in twenty odd years so might be harder to get than you think but again well worth the time, the chase and the investment, a super record.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

The Companions "Be Yourself" - General American 711 Out of Philadelphia this time out also recorded by Honey And The Bees however that version is a big ticket item, The Companions hold their own with their version, dynamic vocals, mid paced and you fall in love with this record instantly, always been twenty quid and well worth a punt if you don't know it.

Flip it over Mark " help a lonely guy" only just heard it myslef recently, lovely record

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

"UP NORTH "T" TIME SPECIAL

MASTER FORCE - HEY GIRL -- RAIN FOREST

EXPORTATIONS - I WANT YOU -- VIR-RO

DELEGATES OF SOUL - WHAT A LUCKY GUY I AM -- UPLOOK

100% PURE POISON - YOU KEEP COMING BACK -- EMI

SAN FRANCISCAN TKOs - MAKE UP YOUR MIND -- KENT

TIMOTHY WILSON - I MUST LOVE YOU -- SKY DISC

PEPPERMINT MEN - DREAM IVE ALWAYS HAD -- C/U

THE MIGHTY MARVELOWS - TALKIN BOUT YA,BABY -- ABC

VELVELETTES - A BIRD IN THE HAND -- V.I.P

THE PRODUCERS - LOVE IS AMAZING -- HUFF PUFF

SHALL BE PLAYIN A FEW OF THESE FRIDAY NIGHT

Social source share

Live up to what she thinks,£5 you wish!!was that fifteen years ago not seen a cheep one for years,so if anybody as a spare that would be good..... :shades:

link

Sorry Ken i did say that i'm not the best person to put values to records, on reflection my price guide on The Fantastic Four is more in line with 1985 rather than 2005 so i take your point.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Good topic Mark, here are a few from the back of the box.

Bobby Dunn "You Are The One" (Ordell)

Very early 60's RnB ballad type sound, really like this track.

Little Royal & the Swingmasters " Jealous" (Trius)

1972 release, this is such a vocal "tour de force", that I never tire of listening to Royal Torrences heartfelt screaming.

Yvonne Baker "Eyes" (Argo)

Another early 60's sound, Baker just bewitches me with her sultry lead.

Delores Gibson "I Got A Feeling" (Elloma)

H.B. Barnum is behind this wonderful 60's jazz tinged Soul builder...wow must play this more.

Ronnie Walker "Thanks To you" (Phillips)

Tremendous crossover ,those flutes just make the 45' for me.

Byrdie Green "Don't Make It Hurt" (Hallmark)

Bought this at the Dome some years back, another that I guess a few will own and know, but certainly one of my favs.

The Burke Family "Under The Spell" (Cobblestone demo)

Atmospheric mover here, love the haunting lead that pleads "Take My Hand", better known as The 5 Stairsteps.

Brett

Social source share

Now it's a little desert or afters for your enjoyment and i'm still only half way through the bottom shelf...lol Just another five records to go with the jelly and ice cream.

Richard Brown - Sweet And Kind B/W Don't Listen To The Grapevine - Steeltown Inc 686. This little gem of a double header out of Gary, Indiana both sides written and produced by 'Look Ahead' main man Gordon Keith was first brought to my attention by Kim Cook aka Cookie and Bitch DJ on here, infact Kim even got me a copy so full credit to her for this one, two superb sides and at £20.00 you really can't go wrong on this 45.

Lois Blaine - Stop It Baby - A&b 100 - A stunning down to mid tempo proper R'n'B record produced by Bill Siegel out of Indianapolis, slow and moody with a voice to die for, not sure of this ones value but £30.00 seems about right.

Joe Murphy - So Blue (Without You) B/W It's A Weakness - Vivid 106 Distributed by Vee - Jay records so a strong Chicago connection here with this one, again been around years, 'So Blue' is a classy mid tempo almost lazy production on this track with the more upbeat flip 'Weakness' another two for the price of one gem and very much an class oldie which should be played more (both sides) i was suprised to see a red stock/issue copy which i have on a sales list a few months ago for £100.00 again i had no idea this record held such a price tag, could be wrong but perhaps another hard to find quality record, i've seen far more demo's over the years so perhaps the issue does warrent a ton.

Chuck Bridges - Don't You Make Me Cry - Scoop 03 - This is West Coast manic madness, far too uptempo for todays dance floors but a record in another dimension to listen to and enjoy, having a real R'n'B flava to it's production, i paid £75.00 for this years ago and would suspect it's about the same price today, i love this type of record to bits.

Bobby Powell - Do Something For Yourself - Whit 715 - In a word 'STUNNIG' a beautiful mid paced record which you should be able to pick up for around £20/30.00, did get a few spins by the likes of Roger Banks and myself a little bit back but still has plenty of life left in it at the venues.

Time for a nice Brandy and get onto the second shelf....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Good topic Mark, here are a few from the back of the box.

Very early 60's RnB ballad type sound, really like this track.

Little Royal & the Swingmasters " Jealous" (Trius)

1972 release, this is such a vocal "tour de force", that I never tire of listening to Royal Torrences heartfelt screaming.

Yvonne Baker "Eyes" (Argo)

Another early 60's sound, Baker just bewitches me with her sultry lead.

Delores Gibson "I Got A Feeling" (Elloma)

H.B. Barnum is behind this wonderful 60's jazz tinged Soul builder...wow must play this more.

Ronnie Walker "Thanks To you" (Phillips)

Tremendous crossover ,those flutes just make the 45' for me.

Byrdie Green "Don't Make It Hurt" (Hallmark)

Bought this at the Dome some years back, another that I guess a few will own and know, but certainly one of my favs.

The Burke Family "Under The Spell" (Cobblestone demo)

Atmospheric mover here, love the haunting lead that pleads "Take My Hand", better known as The 5 Stairsteps.

Brett

link

Bought this a few years back, I used to sandwich it between some jazz when djing

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

A few to wind down to :

RUTH BROWN - I DON'T KNOW - ATLANTIC

(Nice sultry sassy vocal from the 1st lady of rnb)

SONNY KNIGHT - IF YOU WANT THIS LOVE - AURA

(Everyone will know this , bought it about 3 years ago but it never failsto get a spin late at night)

GIL SCOTT HERON - SAVE THE CHILDREN - FLYING DUTCHMAN

(simply a GENUIS!! the man resposnsible for rap , hits the spot with a gorgeous record of hope and inspiration SUPERB)

TAMS - DEEP INSIDE ME - ARLEN

(Early group soul real cheap but real nice)

FURYS - THE MAN WHO HAS EVERYTHING - LIBERTY

(The flip to the well known" baby you can bet your boots" if you've got it and havent heard it flip FLIP IT NOW!!! ) Haunting mid tempo

OLLIE NIGHTINGALE - I DON'T KNOW WHY - MEMPHIS

(My buy of the year @ £20, sublime vocal really classy)

JERRY BUTLER - STRAWBERRIES - VEE-JAY

(class , make's me tingle every time come to think about it most of Jerry's records have that effect on me )

all the best

Richard :thumbsup:

Social source share

Just sat here in my silk smoking jacket and thought I'd slip a few in myself :D

My Current Bedroom Wooing Tunes:

Sonji Clay - I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby's Face - Songee

IMVHFO the greatest of all the versions. I know Brett disagrees with me on this one, but he's wrong :D This beautifully constructed piece just floats along, it's got the full works with the brass section standing out. Her silky smooth voice is just perfect. Value wise I would say about £50, with it valued higher in certain glossy publications :thumbsup:

Cynthia Sheeler - I'll Cry Over You - JB's

One of my big wants this. Perfect female crossover; that tempo is just spot on. Fantastic composition with a really strong vocal performance. Fetches anything between £200-£300. Would love one :(

Dynells - Let Me Prove That I Love You - ATCO/Blueberry

I've got the ATCO demo with the 'Call On Me' flip. Bought it for that and was stunned when I first played the other side. Possibly prefer this side now, what an intro! Value about £250 - £300 these days, maybe cheaper off a mate.

Margaret Royal - I'll Never Go Away - Tra-x

I've been plugging this for about a year now. Not right for every venue, but certainly right for more upfront venues where tempo doesn't dictate the floor. What a fantastic piece of music. Around £100 mark, though have spotted odd coulple on ebay recently at a reasonable price. Small dealers maybe £70-£80 mark.

TSU Toronados - Please Heart, Don't Break - Rampart Street

Finally got one of these recently and didn't know my partner in crime Rich Buckley already had one! Reckons he's played it at Soulsville, but I've never heard it :yes: Slightly more up-tempo for the bedroom, but what a tune and the lyrics just say it all. Fantastic Texan outfit with so much good stuff on Ovide and Atlantic. Around £150-£200 mark

Chymes - My Baby's Gone Away - Down To Earth

Same band that released 'The Beginning Of My Life' on the same label, not the outfit spelt the same on Okeh. Starts off with an almost fairy-tale like intro, then breaks into a fantastic mid-tempo dancer. Really good quality tune with Anti-Vietnam leanings. Will get plays from me I can tell you :D Manship's got one @ £25, although I picked one up off Gemm for $10.

I'll leave it at a lop-sided 6 at the mo'

Be back in a while.

Jamie :yes:

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

Just sat here in my silk smoking jacket and thought I'd slip a few in myself  :D

My Current Bedroom Wooing Tunes:

Sonji Clay - I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby's Face - Songee

IMVHFO the greatest of all the versions. I know Brett disagrees with me on this one, but he's wrong  :D   This beautifully constructed piece just floats along, it's got the full works with the brass section standing out. Her silky smooth voice is just perfect. Value wise I would say about £50, with it valued higher in certain glossy publications  :thumbsup:

Cynthia Sheeler - I'll Cry Over You - JB's

One of my big wants this. Perfect female crossover; that tempo is just spot. Fantastic composition with a really strong vocal performance. Fetches anything between £200-£300. Would love one  :(

Dynells - Let Me Prove That I Love You - ATCO/Blueberry

I've got the ATCO demo with the 'Call On Me' flip. Bought it for that and was stunned when I first played the other side. Possibly prefer this side now, what an intro! Value about £250 - £300 these days, maybe cheaper off a mate.

Margaret Royal - I'll Never Go Away - Tra-x

I've been plugging this for about a year now. Not right for every venue, but certainly right for more upfront venues where tempo doesn't dictate the floor. What a fantastic piece of music. Around £100 mark, though have spotted odd coulple on ebay recently at a reasonable price. Small dealers maybe £70-£80 mark.

TSU Toronados - Please Heart, Don't Break - Rampart Street

Finally got one of these recently and didn't know my partner in crime Rich Buckley already had one! Reckons he's played it at Soulsville, but I've never heard it  :yes:   Slightly more up-tempo for the bedroom, but what a tune and the lyrics just say it all. Fantastic Texan outfit with so much good stuff on Ovide and Atlantic. Around £150-£200 mark

Chymes - My Baby's Gone Away - Down To Earth

Same band that released 'The Beginning Of My Life' on the same label, not the outfit spelt the same on Okeh. Starts off with an almost fairy-tale like intro, then breaks into a fantastic mid-tempo dancer. Really good quality tune with Anti-Vietnam leanings. Will get plays from me I can tell you  :D   Manship's got one @ £25, although I picked one up off Gemm for $10.

I'll leave it at a lop-sided 6 at the mo'

Be back in a while.

Jamie  :yes:

link

Jamie one word mate.......Monticellos - Red Cap still all the versions are good of 'I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby's Face' but for me the Monticellos have i...IMHO!

Looks like the next Soulsville is goona be a huge night...well Daddy's in town no doubt to be drunk under the table by his little Brothers.

Respect - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Jamie one word mate.......Monticellos - Red Cap still all the versions are good of 'I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby's Face' but for me the Monticellos have i...IMHO!

Looks like the next Soulsville is goona be a huge night...well Daddy's in town no doubt to be drunk under the table by his little Brothers.

Respect - Mark Bicknell.

link

I think Brett would chuck a certain Miss Washington into the ring on this one too :yes:

Yeah the Monticellos is pretty damn fine, there's just something I can't put my finger on that shades it for Sonji. Am I right in thinking the 'Songee' label is self-titled? or at least named after her?

Can't wait for next month, it'll be nice to hear you dust a few of those mentioned off and give them a spin in Leeds.

Gareth Sweeney's coming up too, so I'm sure we're in for a lesson or two in the quality stakes :thumbsup:

Jamie

Social source share

I think Brett would chuck a certain Miss Washington into the ring on this one too  :yes:

Yeah the Monticellos is pretty damn fine, there's just something I can't put my finger on that shades it for Sonji. Am I right in thinking the 'Songee' label is self-titled? or at least named after her?

Can't wait for next month, it'll be nice to hear you dust a few of those mentioned off and give them a spin in Leeds.

Gareth Sweeney's coming up too, so I'm sure we're in for a lesson or two in the quality stakes  :thumbsup:

Jamie

link

Line a dozen bottles of that Russian lager up on the bar Jamie and we can all fall over, can't wait mate and i'll bring a few of these 45's and then some mate...even your fav 'Skiing In De' Snow'...lol to see you dance to it out on the floor or on the bar after the Russian stuff will be most entertaining.........see you soon.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Really looking forward to doing Soulsville; I've heard only good things.

link

Looking forward to you coming up at last!

It seems like such a long time since we arranged it!

Bring it on :thumbsup:

Social source share

Line a dozen bottles of that Russian lager up on the bar Jamie and we can all fall over, can't wait mate and i'll bring a few of these 45's and then some mate...even your fav 'Skiing In De' Snow'...lol to see you dance to it out on the floor or on the bar after the Russian stuff will be most entertaining.........see  you soon.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

I've been told I dance a bit like Franz Klammer, so that should work well :thumbsup:

I'll make sure the Baltika is well stocked up :yes::yes:

Rich B's birthday too - oh dear! Gawd help us! :D

Social source share

Respect - Mark Bicknell.

link

I love the Monticellos version, think i played it in Leeds the other month, but i need to get hold of Aretha Franklins version (is it LP only or a 45', can't recall off the top of my noggin'?)

Ps what date is the Bicknell/X evening.....?

Brett

Social source share

A few to wind down to :

JERRY BUTLER  -  STRAWBERRIES - VEE-JAY

(class , make's me tingle every time come to think about it most of Jerry's records have that effect on me )

all the best

Richard :thumbsup:

link

Stevie Cato played me this at his place one very overhung morning a while back, still have the scrap of paper with the title/artist in barely legible scrawl.....must buy,must buy......

Edited by Brett
Social source share

link

Social source share

Here a few from me.

Best

Honest John

Dottie+Millie: Nothing In This World (Topper)

Always prefered this, the flip of their current biggie although it's probably not as obvious a dancer.

Brad Lundy: Breaking Point (Lundy)

Awesome slab of Caribean Soul (well the label is registered in Nassau, Bahamas).

Picked it up a few years back for £30 but I've seen it nibbling at 3 figures since. Pat Brady reckons it's a rare one!!!

Falcons: Love You Like You've Never Been Loved (Big Wheel)

The flip to Good Good Feeling. Definitely more soulful and great to see it getting some spins now. Check out the mice running along the piano in the background!!!

Betty Lloyd: You Say Things You Don't Mean (BSC)

The flip to the ever popular I'm Catching On. Blinding tune in its own right and definifetly deserving the odd play.

Billy Stewart: To Love To Love (Chess)

Been raving about this ever since I found it lurking on the b-side to Summertime. Absolutely stunning slab of soul that reminds me of Buddy Smith.

Joytones: This Love (Coed)

Gorgeous girl group floater that's starting to get some attention so expect the price to rise above the current £40 mark. Also came out as The Love Potion on Kapp.

Creations: Oh Baby (Globe)

First heard this at The Greatstone about 4-5 years back and loved it immediatly. Great male group vocals with just a suggestion of doo-wop that makes it perfect for now. Still a cheapie at around £15-20

Linda Elliot: A Little Girl Grew Up A Little Last Night (Josie)

Played this with little success back in about '97. The other side Fell In Love With You Baby was always the more popular. Still think it has the right ingredients and might be ready for another outing.

Tommy Vann and The Echos: Give A lIttle Bit (Acadamy)

Heard this on a sales tape about 6 years ago and finally picked it up 3 years later cheap enough. Only seen a couple since and they were cheap (about $15) but might be rarer than the price suggests.

Hi Fi White: Need Somebody (Sandman)

Have this years and never played it out due to it's lack of dancefloor appeal. That doesn't stop it being a brilliant soul record though. £30 if you see it.

Chi Chi: If You're Gonna Love Me (Kapp)

First played over here on radio by Carl Willingham on his first visit. Again one that's relatively cheap (£25) but rarely seen.

Little Anthony: Nothing From Nothing (Pure Gold)

Awesome effort from the little man. If ever you needed convincing that it's the way you sing not what then listen out for his 3 WHOA's about 3/4 the way through.

Robert John: Raindrops, Love and Sunshine (A+M)

Feelgood soul perfection

Betty Lavette: I'm Just A Fool For You (Calla)

Moderately successful play for me at the Commercial between '98-'00, I still rate it very highly. The other side Stand Up Like A Man is an equally good dancer and has also had plays.

Sunday: Ain't Got No Problems / Where Did He Come From (Alteen)

I've been playing Ain't Got No Problems for over a year now and I certainly don't have any when I flip it over and get another crossover gem. Also came out on Chess.

Albert Jones: 15 Cent Love (Kapp)

A real old favourite of mine from way back in the Plough '96. Still hasn't had it's day but it's surely only a matter of time.

Deon Jackson: I Need A Love Like Yours (Carla)

Quality artist. Flip over I Can't Go On and you get this.

Spiedels: Dream Girl (Providence)

Currently doing the biz everywhere.........Awesome!!!!

Lori-Ann: Darling Say No (Melron)

Got this in a Soul pack about ten years ago and always thought it was a nice little tune. Only seen 2 copies for sale since (about £30) so maybe it's fairly rare.

Fifth Amendment: It'll Never Be The Same Again (Soul City)

Surely can't be rare!! Whatever it's a great big-voiced, big-production ender from the gang that gave us 'Aquarius'.........where did it all go wrong?

Ronnie West: Lil Woman (Goins)

First heard Dean Anderson play this at the 100club covered up as The Soulfay. Always get asked about it when I play it, expect to pay£250 for a copy.

Caesars: (La La) I Love You (Lanie)

Great doo-wop soul cheapie that's actually starting to get a bit of attention. Doesn't seem to be rare and sells for £15-20.

John Bowie: At The End of The Day (Merben)

Flip of You're Gonna Miss A Good Thing this has had plays in it's own right.

Irma Thomas: I'm Gonna Cry 'Til My Tears Run Dry (Liberty)

Soul perfection!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

Here a few from me.

Best

Honest John

Dottie+Millie: Nothing In This World (Topper)

Always prefered this, the flip of their current biggie although it's probably not as obvious a dancer.

Awesome slab of Caribean Soul (well the label is registered in Nassau, Bahamas).

Picked it up a few years back for £30 but I've seen it nibbling at 3 figures since. Pat Brady reckons it's a rare one!!!

Falcons: Love You Like You've Never Been Loved (Big Wheel)

The flip to Good Good Feeling. Definitely more soulful and great to see it getting some spins now. Check out the mice running along the piano in the background!!!

Betty Lloyd: You Say Things You Don't Mean (BSC)

The flip to the ever popular I'm Catching On. Blinding tune in its own right and definifetly deserving the odd play.

Billy Stewart: To Love To Love (Chess)

Been raving about this ever since I found it lurking on the b-side to Summertime. Absolutely stunning slab of soul that reminds me of Buddy Smith.

Joytones: This Love (Coed)

Gorgeous girl group floater that's starting to get some attention so expect the price to rise above the current £40 mark. Also came out as The Love Potion on Kapp.

Creations: Oh Baby (Globe)

First heard this at The Greatstone about 4-5 years back and loved it immediatly. Great male group vocals with just a suggestion of doo-wop that makes it perfect for now. Still a cheapie at around £15-20

Linda Elliot: A Little Girl Grew Up A Little Last Night (Josie)

Played this with little success back in about '97. The other side Fell In Love With You Baby was always the more popular. Still think it has the right ingredients and might be ready for another outing.

Tommy Vann and The Echos: Give A  lIttle Bit (Acadamy)

Heard this on a sales tape about 6 years ago and finally picked it up 3 years later cheap enough. Only seen a couple since and they were cheap (about $15) but might be rarer than the price suggests.

Hi Fi White: Need Somebody (Sandman)

Have this years and never played it out due to it's lack of dancefloor appeal. That doesn't stop it being a brilliant soul record though. £30 if you see it.

Chi Chi: If You're Gonna Love Me (Kapp)

First played over here on radio by Carl Willingham on his first visit. Again one that's relatively cheap (£25) but rarely seen.

Little Anthony: Nothing From Nothing (Pure Gold)

Awesome effort from the little man. If ever you needed convincing that it's the way you sing not what then listen out for his 3 WHOA's about 3/4 the way through.

Robert John: Raindrops, Love and Sunshine (A+M)

Feelgood soul perfection

Betty Lavette: I'm Just A Fool For You (Calla)

Moderately successful play for me at the Commercial between '98-'00, I still rate it very highly. The other side Stand Up Like A Man is an equally good dancer and has also had plays.

Sunday: Ain't Got No Problems / Where Did He Come From (Alteen)

I've been playing Ain't Got No Problems for over a year now and I certainly don't have any when I flip it over and get another crossover gem. Also came out on Chess.

Albert Jones: 15 Cent Love (Kapp)

A real old favourite of mine from way back in the Plough '96. Still hasn't had it's day but it's surely only a matter of time.

Deon Jackson: I Need A Love Like Yours (Carla)

Quality artist. Flip over I Can't Go On and you get this.

Spiedels: Dream Girl (Providence)

Currently doing the biz everywhere.........Awesome!!!!

Lori-Ann: Darling Say No (Melron)

Got this in a Soul pack about ten years ago and always thought it was a nice little tune. Only seen 2 copies for sale since (about £30) so maybe it's fairly rare.

Fifth Amendment: It'll Never Be The Same Again (Soul City)

Surely can't be rare!! Whatever it's a great big-voiced, big-production ender from the gang that gave us 'Aquarius'.........where did it all go wrong?

First heard Dean Anderson play this at the 100club covered up as The Soulfay. Always get asked about it when I play it, expect to pay£250 for a copy.

Caesars: (La La) I Love You (Lanie)

Great doo-wop soul cheapie that's actually starting to get a bit of attention. Doesn't seem to be rare and sells for £15-20.

John Bowie: At The End of The Day (Merben)

Flip of You're Gonna Miss A Good Thing this has had plays in it's own right.

Irma Thomas: I'm Gonna Cry 'Til My Tears Run Dry (Liberty)

Soul perfection!!!!!!!!!

link

both the robert john & albert jones tracks ...quality........

shall be playin the albert jones track friday night......

Social source share

A grand at least Mark......pure quality, lets talk soon need to platy catch up.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

Thanks for the PM Mark. Will give you a bell.

Missed out on last night's selections, but imagine the evening is drawing to a close. Your brandy bottle is looking a little depleted, your feeling mellow and reflective. Time for some lower key tunes. Here's a few:-

Betty Lavette - Only Your Love Can Save Me (Calla + UK Stateside & Pama)

Arthur Alexander - Show Me The Road (Sound Stage 7)

O'Jays - It Won't Hurt (Imperial)

Tommy Hunt - I'll Make You Happy (Capitol)

Aaron Neville - She Took You For A Ride (Parlo)

Social source share

Honest John wrote......

fantastic record! :thumbsup:

if anyone wished to hear this mid-tempo gem check it out on soulclub.org.

Shane

Social source share

Here's 5 from last night

Monroe taylor- Proud guy-Chesapeake

Addictive mid tempo that never lets up. Cheap as chips & superb. puts some of the so called "biggies" to the sword.

Argie & the Arketts-you'r the guy- Ronnie #1

Atmospheric from the drum intro in, and with some clever lyrics. This gem never lets up, value a-plenty @ around £50 (should be double)

Karen Small-to get you back again-Venus

Dont let the false start fool you, with backing by Don Julien & the Larks this LA midtempo track grows & grows on you.

[Carlena Weaver-Jealousy-Audel

On the same label as Hank "soul man Mullen" -he upset your dreams, this dancer is another winner. Price on this is rising & its a lot rarer than some people think.

Kittie doswell-just a face in the crowd-HES

Los Angeles crossover magic, not dissimilar to Celeste hardies-Your gone-Reynolds. A sleeping giant, waiting to explode in progressive places like the Greatstone & 14 Lloyd st, mid tempo @ its best.

Regards Ritchie. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Ms Murray

both the robert john & albert jones tracks  ...quality........

shall be playin the albert jones track friday night......

link

Are you by any chance doing a spot on Friday night?!!!

Hope you have been practising!

As you are probably formulating your plan of action at this stage, I would like to put in an early request for Almeta Latimore - 'These Memories'.

You won't hear the last of it if you don't play it!

See you on Friday! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Five beauties there Richard. Love the Monroe Taylor. Suprised Mark Bicknell hasn't listed Carlena Weaver yet. I know he loves it and it's one I let go to him about 3 years back because he loves it so much.

How about:

Roddie Joy - Walking Back (cheap as cips compared to the other version and better IMVMO)

Caesers - Girl, I Miss You (Lanie)

Deon Jackson - When Your Love Has Gone (Carla) - what a fantastic tune!

Social source share

Breakfast with Bicknell, another four gems to start the day with, i better ease up as i'm running out of records, well the not so well known ones at least...lol, and yes 'Mark' the Brandy bottle is empty....lol Seems like this thread is gonna run and run, so nice to share our nusic and rap about tunes, pretty much what this scene is all about.

George Wydell - From Out Of Nowhere B/W I'm Gonna Cut You Loose - Tangerine 964 - A stunning double header with the top side being just out of this world down tempo soul, a perfect record to start the day, the flip is more in tune with the now popular R'n'B groove and is up there with the best records in that syle. Hard to value this record as i've seen it for as little as £50.00 up to around £100.00 no matter really as it's well worth the spend. whatever the price.

Tommy Butler - Right On Up To The Weekend - Chattahoochee 688 - I've had this record for many years and only paid about £25.00 for it, i would suspect it not much more these days, oh what a joy of a record, mid paced quality through and through, good solid vocals and a pleasure to listen to, would i'm sure hit the spot at the gigs as it never really got that much turntable action way back so plenty to offer from this one i think.

The Paramont Four - You Don't Know (Till It Happens To You) - Southern City 1115

This is another top record which hails from Gallatin, Tennesse, a very busy record performed well by 'The Paramont Four' with instrumental background from 'The Fantastic Dukes', again as with the Tommy Butler 45 this record has been in my collection for many years, been reviewed several times in the various magazines and fanzines but has never really gone that big which i don't really understand, again hard to value records such as this but worth every penny of £50.00 if you can find one.

The Visitors - Never The Less B/W Anytime Is The Right Time - Tangerine 1010 Another fantastic double sider two brilliant Len Jewell productions in a kind of 'Impressions' style ' Never The Less' is group perfection and has that special something that you can't quite define but you know it's there when you hear it, i picked this up cheap due to the condition for about £15.00 plays ok but could use a clean copy type of thing, but this copy will sufice until i can find another which may prove difficult as i bet this one sits very well in many collections out there, price wise has to be a £30.00 plus 45, the harmonies on this are outstanding. Everyone i've played this record loves it so even if you don't know it you can buy blind with confidence.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Five beauties there Richard. Love the Monroe Taylor. Suprised Mark Bicknell hasn't listed Carlena Weaver yet. I know he loves it and it's one I let go to him about 3 years back because he loves it so much.

How about:

Roddie Joy - Walking Back (cheap as cips compared to the other version and better IMVMO)

Caesers - Girl, I Miss You (Lanie)

Deon Jackson - When Your Love Has Gone (Carla) - what a fantastic tune!

link

I was getting there with Carlena Weaver mate....oh and Monroe Taylor was in one of the piles still Ritchie beat me too it, a man with superb taste in music even though he is Welsh.....nice one Ritchie!

More to follow throughout the day, you can tell i'm bored at homw with this dodgy getting better foot thingy.

Mark Bicknell

Social source share

FURYS - THE MAN WHO HAS EVERYTHING - LIBERTY

(The flip to the well known" baby you can bet your boots" if you've got it and havent heard it flip FLIP IT NOW!!! ) Haunting mid tempo

link

Finally remembered to listen to this after you nagging me several times :D Quite nice but not a patch on 'Baby...' IMO... oooh those drums :yes:

link

3 figures? seriously? :thumbsup:

Social source share

This is the sort of topic I like, where as someone of my very limited (soul!) knowledge can learn a thing or two. The only thing which would be better would actually be sitting round Marks house whilst he's playing them! :yes:

There's nothing like having the house to yourself and playing through your record box. The only problem I have is, the next door neighbour complains about the noise! :angry:

Mind you, being on the committee (Social Secretary :D ) down my club, I could set up the turntables whenever I want and play them down there! :yes: It's great absolutely no pressure, because they haven't got a clue what I'm playing! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Finally remembered to listen to this after you nagging me several times  :D Quite nice but not a patch on 'Baby...' IMO... oooh those drums  :yes:

3 figures? seriously?  :thumbsup:

link

Way over price I agree...........£30-40 is where I'd rate it but I have seen it for £100.........not saying it sold at that but that what was being asked

John

Social source share

I love the Monticellos version, think i played it in Leeds the other month, but i need to get hold of Aretha Franklins version (is it LP only or a 45', can't recall off the top of my noggin'?)

Ps what date is the Bicknell/X evening.....?

Brett

link

Here you go Brett

45:

FRANKLIN, ARETHA COLUMBIA 43241 ONE STEP AHEAD / I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL I SEE MY BABY'S FACE

Social source share

The Visitors - Never The Less B/W Anytime  Is The Right Time - Tangerine 1010  Another fantastic double sider two brilliant Len Jewell productions in a kind of 'Impressions' style ' Never The Less' is group perfection and has that special something that you can't quite define but you know it's there when you hear it, i picked this up cheap due to the condition for about £15.00 plays ok but could use a clean copy type of thing, but this copy will sufice until i can find another which may prove difficult as i bet this one sits very well in many collections out there, price wise has to be a £30.00 plus 45, the harmonies on this are outstanding. Everyone i've played this record loves it so even if you don't know it you can buy blind with confidence.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

Their other TRC release is a cracking double-sider:-

What About Me - superb mid to uptempo dancer with breaks, great harmonies, pounding off the beat drums

My Love is ready and Waiting - lovely crossover, nice tempo

The great thing about this thread is everyone's chipping in with ideas for lesser priced and even cheap as chips 45s, and nobody's having a bitch and a moan. Nice one.

Social source share

Way over price I agree...........£30-40 is where I'd rate it but I have seen it for £100.........not saying it sold at that but that what was being asked

John

link

Hiya John

Don't forget that the two versions of this are quite different:

LUNDY, BRAD JULMAR 2647 THE BREAKING POINT / A LONELY BOY

LUNDY, BRAD LUNDY 1401 BREAKING POINT / I WANT TO SHARE

I would rate the Julmar issue, which is more 60s sounding @ £30-40 but the Lundy issue, more of a Willie Tee 'first taste of hurt' type sound at around the £75 mark. Neither in great demand but good tunes nevertheless.

Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

Are you by any chance doing a spot on Friday night?!!!

Hope you have been practising!

As you are probably formulating your plan of action at this stage, I would like to put in an early request for  Almeta Latimore - 'These Memories'.

You won't hear the last of it if you don't play it!

See you on Friday! :thumbsup:

link

hopefully shall be doin a spot at "CELEBRATIONS" in preston ...

AND yes ill play ALMETA LATIMORE ---JUST FOR YOU.......

Social source share

Hiya John

Don't forget that the two versions of this are quite different:

LUNDY, BRAD JULMAR 2647  THE BREAKING POINT / A LONELY BOY

LUNDY, BRAD LUNDY 1401  BREAKING POINT / I WANT TO SHARE

I would rate the Julmar issue, which is more 60s sounding @ £30-40 but the Lundy issue, more of a Willie Tee 'first taste of hurt' type sound at around the £75 mark. Neither in great demand but good tunes nevertheless.

link

Thanks for that.

I did know there was 2 issues but didn't know there was that much price difference. Thankfully mine is on Lundy

Here's a few more to add to the discussions

John

Danny White: Miss Fine, Miss Fine (Frisco)

Stunning uptempo dancer that just has all the right ingredients to be huge. Featured on a recent Kent Cd I think and the price seems to be creeping up

Etta James: Tell Mama (Chess)

Great gritty dancer from the woman who can do no wrong. One of her more overlooked sides but well worth checking out. Don't pay any more than £10

Gene Chandler: Buddy Ain't It A Shame (Constellation)

Brilliant pounding uptempo dancer that'll really get them sweating. Flip is 'Im Just A Fool For You' a cracking midtempo which is probably more well known. Either way a bliding double-sider that shouldn't set you back anymore than £10-15

Sandy And The Pebbles: He's My Kinda Fellow / My Foolish Little Heart (Mercury)

Another brilliant double-header. Fellow is a great catchy feelgood dancer that I've been spinning in Dublin to good feedback. Heart is a sublime midtempo. £40 should get you one.

Patience Valentine: Unlucky Girl (SAR)

Nowher near as expensive as her biggie. £15-20 should secure you a copy of this totally under-rated midtempo.

Spencer: My Baby's Coming Home (Midtown)

Just right for now IMO. Midtempo perfection. Probably about £30 but I could be way out..........anybody know???

Bobby Sansom: Don't Leave (Sublime)

Real connoisseurs record. Maybe too slow for dancefloors but everybody who hears it loves it.

Jackie Shane: Comin' Down (Sue)

Big sound in Dublin at the moment (not for me I have to say). Great dancer with just the right mix of RnB/Northern to keep everybody happy

Social source share

Their other TRC release is a cracking double-sider:-

What About Me - superb mid to uptempo dancer with breaks, great harmonies, pounding off the beat drums

My Love is ready and Waiting - lovely crossover, nice tempo

The great thing about this thread is everyone's chipping in with ideas for lesser priced and even cheap as chips 45s, and nobody's having a bitch and a moan. Nice one.

link

Mark it was my intention when starting this thread to share and learn and that's exactly what we are doing and it's fantastic proving that the common ground most of us have is the desire and passion for the music.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

This is the sort of topic I like, where as someone of my very limited (soul!) knowledge can learn a thing or two.  The only thing which would be better would actually be sitting round Marks house whilst he's playing them! :yes:  

There's nothing like having the house to yourself and playing through your record box.  The only problem I have is, the next door neighbour complains about the noise! :angry:

Mind you, being on the committee (Social Secretary :D ) down my club, I could set up the turntables whenever I want and play them down there! :yes:   It's great absolutely no pressure, because they haven't got a clue what I'm playing! :thumbsup:

link

Mate you are welcome to come round my house anytime for some Soul and a few cold ones, let me know if you are ever in Manchester and that's a date!

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Ms Murray

hopefully shall be doin a spot at "CELEBRATIONS" in preston  ...

AND yes ill play ALMETA LATIMORE ---JUST FOR YOU.......

link

I suppose that's good practise for you and you know what they say - "Practice Makes Perfect"! Keep practising! :thumbsup:

Would have liked to hear 'These Memories', followed by Bobby Taylor 'Don't Be Afraid' but afraid I can't be there! Somewhere over the border is beckoning me and you know I wouldn't miss it that for anything! :yes:

Social source share

Thanks for that.

I did know there was 2 issues but didn't know there was that much price difference. Thankfully mine is on Lundy

Here's a few more to add to the discussions

John

Danny White: Miss Fine, Miss Fine (Frisco)

Stunning uptempo dancer that just has all the right ingredients to be huge. Featured on a recent Kent Cd I think and the price seems to be creeping up

Etta James: Tell Mama (Chess)

Great gritty dancer from the woman who can do no wrong. One of her more overlooked sides but well worth checking out. Don't pay any more than £10

Brilliant pounding uptempo dancer that'll really get them sweating. Flip is 'Im Just A Fool For You' a cracking midtempo which is probably more well known. Either way a bliding double-sider that shouldn't set you back anymore than £10-15

Sandy And The Pebbles: He's My Kinda Fellow / My Foolish Little Heart (Mercury)

Another brilliant double-header. Fellow is a great catchy feelgood dancer that I've been spinning in Dublin to good feedback. Heart is a sublime midtempo. £40 should get you one.

Patience Valentine: Unlucky Girl (SAR)

Nowher near as expensive as her biggie. £15-20 should secure you a copy of this totally under-rated midtempo.

Spencer: My Baby's Coming Home (Midtown)

Just right for now IMO. Midtempo perfection. Probably about £30 but I could be way out..........anybody know???

Bobby Sansom: Don't Leave (Sublime)

Real connoisseurs record. Maybe too slow for dancefloors but everybody who hears it loves it.

Jackie Shane: Comin' Down (Sue)

Big sound in Dublin at the moment (not for me I have to say). Great dancer with just the right mix of RnB/Northern to keep everybody happy

link

Funny this great minds think alike and all that, i pulled out Spencer - 'My Baby's Comin Home' to ident when reviewing his other slighty more obscure Midtown release 'Serachin' For Love' Midtown 3503 a storming slice of prime Northern Soul Soul served medium rare, this record belts along at a furious pace and would have been well suited for the acrobats on the dance floors of the 70's, slighty harder to find than the other record mentioned here perhaps £30.00 for a stock/issue and a little more for the white promo which i hold in the collection.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Some tunes from the front room:

The Showmen - Take It Baby - Swan

Elvin Spencer - Lift This Hurt - Winner

Baby Huey - Just Being Careful - Shann

Lil Gray - Are You Fooling - Jerma

The Superlatives - Don't Walk Away - Dynamics

ps Oliver Joy - what a record!!!!!!!!!! And the Spencer is a bit of alright too. I've heard theres a King George on Midtown thats worthwhile as well......similar pace?

Edited by mulf
Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

I suppose that's good practise for you and you know what they say - "Practice Makes Perfect"! Keep practising! :thumbsup:

Would have liked to hear 'These Memories', followed by Bobby Taylor 'Don't Be Afraid' but afraid I can't be there! Somewhere over the border is beckoning me and you know I wouldn't miss it that for anything!  :yes:

link

I KNOW "WHAT YOU MEAN" HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHALL TRY AND GET OVER THE BORDER MYSELF LATER THOUGH !!!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE WHO I THINK YOU ARE ARNT YOU ???????????????????????

Social source share

link

You could start a thread like this almost on Gene Chandler records alone!! Great call this one and I'm Just A Fool For You would be my choice. JM lists @ £20 but you can get this for under a tenner.

Another of his which, again, a surprising number of people you find haven't come across it before is "After The Laughter" on Checker. Pure class.

Social source share

I was getting there with Carlena Weaver mate....oh and Monroe Taylor was in one of the piles still Ritchie beat me too it, a man with superb taste in music even though he is Welsh.....nice one Ritchie!

More to follow throughout the day, you can tell i'm bored at homw with this dodgy getting better foot thingy.

Mark Bicknell

link

Hello again,

Thanks for the comments guys another 5 tomorrow. Although i was born in Maidstone Kent, i've lived in North wales long enough to qualify as a Welshman.........Ritchie whistling.gif

Social source share

Building up for tea time then Mark!! Couple more for ya! None of these will break the bank:-

Len Jewell - All My Good Loving / The Elevator Song (Pzazz) - superb mid/uptempo dancer backed with a gorgeous crossover shuffler

Jones Bros - Your Good Lovin' (Silver) - nice bounce along Northern dancer

Social source share

Sorry gang a little late with this luchtime's offerings two from the ladies and two from the gents......... More Collection Selections coming from all of us i hope....lol

Charlotta Tillman - Baby I'm Serious - Josie 953 - Oh what a belter this female pouder is, shameless in your face uptempo Rhythm and Soul very much in the same style as Jeanette Williams - 'All Of A Sudden' on Backbeat, Jumping Joan put me onto this one years ago so full credit to Joan on this one, never really been played out that much but it should be, quite a hard Josie number to find so exspect to part with upwards of £60.00 plus for this jewel of a record, the voice is sublime over a busy backbeat produced by James Shaw.

Nina Simone - It Be's That Way Sometime - RCA Victor 9286 - £20.00 is a small price to pay for this superb example of Nina Simone at her very best, so far from her Jazz influenced material it beggers belief, just simply a must have collection filler of a tune, powerful vocal, well produced by Danny Davis, arranged and conducted by Sammy Lowe, if you don't know this then again you will be delighted if you buy blind.

Tim - I Need Your Love - Celtex 102 - A tasty little tune this one out of Chicago, a really delightful 45 that should be far more exspensive than it's £8/10.00 for an issue/stock perhaps double that for a promo, a semi known hidden gem of a tune that's just waiting to go massive.

Wales Wallace - I Gotta Have You - Renee 111 - Another Chicago based production from the outstanding talents of Wales Wallace, great hard edged gritty backing and a golden vocal performance from Mr Wallace, seen this for various prices but really should only be £20/30.00 at the most, as with the 'Tim' track this needs to have it's day yet at the venues.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert