Mark Bicknell

Guest dundeedavie

riiiight ten i like listening to , not rare or anything

soul survivors - mama soul -atco

tammy montgomery - if i would marry you - checker

billy joe young - got you on my mind again - paula

mickey murray - how many breaks can one heart take - sss international

sam hawkins - hold on baby - blue cat

diana ross and the supremes - will this be the day (flip of love child )

carl douglas - i want to give you my everything (off the kung fu fighter album )

patience valentine - waking up to a dream - thrush ( my latest buy and beautiful it is too )

pearl woods - i'm gonna stick with you - mala (beautiful ender on the flip of something touched me )

alfreda brockington - your love has got me chained and bound - phil l.a. of soul

Davie

Social source share

• Replies 184
  • Views 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest taylormadesoul

havin an album session....

a few tracks that id totally forgotten about....

worth a listen....and your opinion

THE THREE DEGREES -- "MAYBE" ALBUM -- TRACK LONELY TOWN

US roulette records SR-42050 YEAR 1970

THE ESQUIRES -- "GET ON UP AND GET A WAY" ALBUM -- TRACK THINGS WONT BE THE SAME

US bunky BS 300

SWEET THUNDER -- "HORIZONS" ALBUM -- TRACK I LEAVE YOU STRONGER

US fantasy wmot F-9576 YEAR 1979

MAJOR HARRIS -- "MY WAY" ALBUM -- TRACK EACH MORNING I WAKE UP

UK atlantic K50117 YEAR 1975

Edited by taylormadesoul
Social source share

Came out three times on Gatur, One with a differnt flip is really hard then the other two are around 200-300 :D

Here's me thinking the one with " I'm Having So Much Fun " on the B side was the one that cost 200-300!!

Surely there's no way the others go for that much ...... a 20-30 pound record all day long.

But if anybody wants to offer me 250 for mine ...... ? :D

pearl woods - i'm gonna stick with you - mala (beautiful ender on the flip of something touched me )

Always reminds me of Shotts ......

Just how good is this record!!! :(

Social source share

Here's me thinking the one with " I'm Having So Much Fun " on the B side was the one that cost 200-300!!

Surely there's no way the others go for that much ...... a 20-30 pound record all day long.

But if anybody wants to offer me 250 for mine ...... ? :(

Just what i see in the guide wrote down as.......

green, Gatur £200

Light blue, Gatur £250

Im having so much fun, Gatur £750..........I know some of the prices are a bit much but cant be that far out can they :D

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Always reminds me of Shotts ......

Just how good is this record!!! :(

yeah gotta agree with ya joan .... i bought it originally for something touched me which imo is awesome r'n'b

Davie

Social source share

Brett you say the kindest things mate, don't worry we will have a belting night out very soon at Soulsville in Leeds, Friday October 7th for some of that Russian lager and a few quality tunes....see you soon.

Ok time to maybe take this thread into another dimension...it's sparkly dresses and boufont hair do time...lets go to Detroit!

The Atlantics - What's So Good About Goodbye - Marquee 444- written and also recorded at Motown by the legend that is William (Smokey) Robinson published by Jobete Music this is a stunning record and a much more crisp more punchy version than The Miracles Tamla 54053, it took me years to get this record after first hearing i think Keb Darge playing it in the early 80's, i've seen a couple of copies for sale over the years prior to getting mine and they were pretty battered poor looking condition so i passed on them, winning this on dare i say the word E-Bay very late one night a couple of years ago was simply bliss, a super clean almost unplayed copy was finally mine for $300.00 approx.

I'm not a big lover of Female group records normally as i find them a little lacking compared to the male group stuff, the flipside to this comment is they have to hold that something a little special as this record does, a sultry sexy performance you can just see these little girls laying this track down circa 1967/68, more of a personal record than something to play out infact i don't think i've ever played this at a venue, very selfish perhaps as this is quality through and through, one slight problem with this record is it books at at least £300.00 but i would stick another £100.00 on that figure as although there is no real big demand for this record the few copies there are of this are very firmly in collections, it never comes up for sale to often but for me personally it was worth waiting twenty years to get a copy.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Brett you say the kindest things mate, don't worry we will have a belting night out very soon at Soulsville in Leeds, Friday October 7th for some of that Russian lager and a few quality tunes....see you soon.

Ok time to maybe take this thread into another dimension...it's sparkly dresses and boufont hair do time...lets go to Detroit!

The Atlantics - What's So Good About Goodbye - Marquee 444- written and also recorded at Motown by the legend that is William (Smokey) Robinson published by Jobete Music this is a stunning record and a much more crisp more punchy version than The Miracles Tamla 54053, it took me years to get this record after first hearing i think Keb Darge playing it in the early 80's, i've seen a couple of copies for sale over the years prior to getting mine and they were pretty battered poor looking condition so i passed on them, winning this on dare i say the word E-Bay very late one night a couple of years ago was simply bliss, a super clean almost unplayed copy was finally mine for $300.00 approx.

I'm not a big lover of Female group records normally as i find them a little lacking compared to the male group stuff, the flipside to this comment is they have to hold that something a little special as this record does, a sultry sexy performance you can just see these little girls laying this track down circa 1967/68, more of a personal record than something to play out infact i don't think i've ever played this at a venue, very selfish perhaps as this is quality through and through, one slight problem with this record is it books at at least £300.00 but i would stick another £100.00 on that figure as although there is no real big demand for this record the few copies there are of this are very firmly in collections, it never comes up for sale to often but for me personally it was worth waiting twenty years to get a copy.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

SWScan00052.BMP

SWScan00052.BMP

SWScan00052.BMP

SWScan00052.BMP

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Forum possibly playing up? :( Either that or Mark has developed a very bad stutter! :D

Social source share

Got to be one of the best threads i've read from a collecting point of view. Long may it continue think this forum was lacking a 'record review' section/thread will add a few my self after the weekend :lol:

Social source share

Ok couldnt wait till next week so heres a quick one from me :lol:

Soul Bros Inc - Love Sweet Love - S.B.I

Slightly more uptempo than there well known 'Pyramid' this chugs along at a nice pace perfect for the feet, just laiden with horns and toataly smooth vocals from George Brown, he really lets rip with this feel good dancer surley got to pic up plays at soul nights not really a 'nighter' sound but you never know, picked this up from Dan at about £25.

Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

a few tunes pulled from the "DUSTY" shelf.......................

THE ROYALETTES - RIVER OF TEARS -- UK BIG T RECORDS

DETROIT EMERALDS - DO ME RIGHT -- UK PYE

GENO WASHINGTON & RAM JAM BAND - IVE BEEN HURT BY LOVE -- UK PICCADILLY

THE EMOTIONS - SO I CAN LOVE YOU -- US VOLT

Social source share

Sweet dreams for tonight......keep them coming!

Bobby Reed - You Are B/W I'm Not Coming Back Bunswick 55282/Claytown 17700 - I have this superb little gem on a yellow Brunswick demo the national release in the States, never seen a Brunswick issue/stock and only ever seen it once on Claytown, the man who recorded 'The Time Is Right For Love' ( Bell 888) is alright with me, i've rated this dynamic double header for years and my copy has been with me for a long time, a mellow production on 'You Are' as soon as stylus hits vinyl it's all there another perfect love song, the flip could finish any soul session with ease, value wise you will have to part with at least £30.00 for a Brunswick and maybe £60/70.00 for a Claytown copy, like i say i've never seen a Brunswick issue of this and would be interested to know if anyone has one out there?

The Inverts - Look Out Love - Tower 324 - This is feel good group soul performed with natural perfection this group make it sound so easy, this group also recorded a biggie one of my all time wants 'Time Will Change' - Broadway 406 managed to buy this several years ago but discovered a hair-line crack on it when i got home so returned it to the seller wished i'd kept it now as it played fine that must be worth £250.00 now, the review side here will set you back around £30.00, more uptempo than the Broadway 45 infact this is a sweet mid paced dancer, i'm sure many of you will know of this record and may have passed it by, well worth picking up because this one has not really been pushed at the venues, with a few more plays this would i'm sure get a few toes tapping.

Thank You And Goodnight - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Got to be one of the best threads i've read from a collecting point of view. Long may it continue think this forum was lacking a 'record review' section/thread will add a few my self after the weekend :lol:

Yeah Baz i second that opinion, i joined this forum to integrate and learn from other like minded soul fans,i believe for all the minor bickering that sometimes happens we all have the music (whatever genre) as a common ground.

Brilliant Topic...will also dig deep and try and review a few more from my own collection (also enjoy when people do try and describe the track, as i have to, because i havent got a facility to put my vinyl onto the pc, did try it but was a real pain without a dedicated CD recorder etc)

Brett

Edited by Brett
Social source share

Sweet dreams for tonight......keep them coming!

Bobby Reed - You Are B/W I'm Not Coming Back Bunswick 55282/Claytown 17700 - I have this superb little gem on a yellow Brunswick demo the national release in the States, never seen a Brunswick issue/stock and would be interested to know if anyone has one out there?

Thank You And Goodnight - Mark Bicknell.

i've got an issue and a demo mark, demo is for sale (if anyone interested)

will try and scan the issue in and post up when get home later

Social source share

Just back from the doctors deep joy and another sick note was issued to me for a further 4 weeks so plenty of time on my hands to develop and contribute to this it seems very popular thread, so here we go, hit em' high, hit em' low and hit em' hard...four little moovers to start the day i think!

Ortheia Barnes - I've Never Loved Nobody (Like I Love You) Coral 6259 - Starting off today with this mindblowing soulful offering by J.J. Barnes's little sister if my information is correct, this 45 very much falls into the crossover flava, a record really waiting to explode onto the mainstream Northern scene and it's flip is a superb down tempo tune 'Waiting For Joey' which reminds me of Buddy Smith - When You Lose The One You Love' Brute, well the backing does anyway...lol well worth a listen and if you like it this graceful recording will set you back around £30.00 for a stock/issue and maybe £50.00 for a yellow demo.

Tommy Mosley - For Her Love - Uptown 706 - This mid tempo marvel very possibly 'Blue Eyed, another record that has never really took off as big as it should, always see it listed for £40/50.00 and i bet it flys off the lists, the flip 'You Lied, Love Cried,Love Died' is also well worth a spin, big city soul production on this from Eddie Ray and a sublime arrangement by Rene Hall brings out a top notch vocal performance from Mr Mosley............I rate this record highly, well worth the hunt and small financial investment, still you can't put a price on the return of listening pleasure created by records as good as this.

Bobby Joy - You Sweet Devil You - Tangerine TRC 981 / Sentry 103 This also came out on two lables and not a lot in it price wise TRC £30.00 the other £50.00 or in that bracket at least, an incredible record which did get a few spins way back by the likes of Colin Laws Scotlands finest of course! great production of this Clarence Hunter song, Bobby Joy has a great pair of pipes and really nails this sucker, i suspect this is in many collections already so may be a little difficult to find but what a treasure when you do find one, i've had mine years and have sold more exspensive records than this but certain 45's just stay with you throughout your collecting journey and this is one of those.

Sonny Daye - Long Long Road To Happiness - Power 008 This one out of Hollywood is an old Stafford Top Of The World spin, written by Frank Wilson and Sherlie Matthews also produced and performed by Frank Wilson if the rumour is true that Sonny Daye is infact Frank Wilson do i believe that indeed i do....lol

This is high grade traditional Northern Soul, pretty well known but another that has some turntable action left in it, i rate this around £75.00 but i've seen it listed for well over the hundred pound mark.....is it worth this?????........oh yes, indeed it is!

Regards - Mrk Bicknell.

Social source share

Snack time......tasty!

The Twilights - You're The One - Aqua 29301/2 - I've always been drawn to the more quirky Blue Eyed records over the years stuff like Buck Rogers - 'Take It From Me Girl', Raving Mads - 'Where Is Love', Anthony And The Aqua Lads - 'I Remember', the Lou Roberts 45's and so on, this ravershing 45 hails out of North Carolina, who says white boys can't sing?, tight harmonies throughout this three minute romp have your full attention it's almost instant with a catchy up beat tempo in a Northern style, used to be around £15.00 in the dark ages of collecting but i've seen this at anything from £50.00 to £100.00 on sales lists in recent times, perhaps not one for the hard authentic artists of afro American origin collectors but if you like the odd ball stuff non black records then this will be a welcome addition to your collection, was quite a common record to find in the early 80's but supply seems to have dried up so it might prove difficult to find, never really been a massive record as the beat is a tad too fast for the dance floor but nice and loud in your record or bedroom this is of a quality without question and very soon you will be singing along to this this one hairbrush in hand...'Listen woman you treated me right, you gave me loving both day and night'...........you get the picture!

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Snack time......tasty!

The Twilights - You're The One - Aqua 29301/2 - I've always been drawn to the more quirky Blue Eyed records over the years stuff like Buck Rogers - 'Take It From Me Girl', Raving Mads - 'Where Is Love', Anthony And The Aqua Lads - 'I Remember', the Lou Roberts 45's and so on, this ravershing 45 hails out of North Carolina, who says white boys can't sing?, tight harmonies throughout this three minute romp have your full attention it's almost instant with a catchy up beat tempo in a Northern style, used to be around £15.00 in the dark ages of collecting but i've seen this at anything from £50.00 to £100.00 on sales lists in recent times, perhaps not one for the hard authentic artists of afro American origin collectors but if you like the odd ball stuff non black records then this will be a welcome addition to your collection, was quite a common record to find in the early 80's but supply seems to have dried up so it might prove difficult to find, never really been a massive record as the beat is a tad too fast for the dance floor but nice and loud in your record or bedroom this is of a quality without question and very soon you will be singing along to this this one hairbrush in hand...'Listen woman you treated me right, you gave me loving both day and night'...........you get the picture!

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Can remember having a copy of this for sale for, what felt like, a lifetime in the mid-'80s for £8!!!

Haven't seen one for sale for a while though.

Social source share

A couple of people asked about the tracks from my New Chapter playlist so here goes:

Lee Shot Williams - Baby baby - Jewel DJ Lovely impassioned vocals from Lee on a downtempo crossover styled tune from 1973, with a great string line. Not come across this before or since so not too sure of price, £15-30 should cover it.

Lovelites - Who you gonna hurt now - Uni DJ Fabulous piece of late 60s early 70s crossover form the girls with Patti in good voice. About £20 or less.

Art Forms Ltd. - I'm a bad man - RCA DJ What can I say? If you don't know this don't stop till you have. Builds and builds to a gut wrenching finale.Soul with a capital S. Early 70s this one, with at least one other tune by them on RCA. About £20.

Kim Tamango - (Can't wait until) Tomorrow - Firebird DJ Another fine piece of downtempo crossover - well worth searching out. A bit rarer than those above around £75.

Green Berets - (Lord) Send me somebody - Uni Fabulous group deep with a slight beat and lovely chink-chink piano fills. Impassioned lead vocal deserves greater appreciation. At least 2 other 45s on Uni. About £15 absolute bargain.

Calvin & Catamounts - I know my baby care for me - Catamount 70s jazzy doo-wop style 45 again too slow for the Northern scene but a fabulous vocal group performance. £100.

George Jackson - Macking on you - Chess Absolutely wonderful walking pace soul record from the master songwriter. Beware! You'll want one of these once you've heard it. £50-100.

Jimmy J. Barnes - I think I've got a good chance - Organic JJ on an obscure 70s release, which I'm sure most of you know. Those smooth vocals make this a killer. Seen at anything up to £250 - 300.

Towana & Total Destruction - Wear your natural baby - Romark Most of you probably know this - Ty's daughter on vocals. Several label variants too. Anything up to £300, but should be gettable cheaper.

Sam Nesbit - Chase those clouds away - Amos DJ Fabled flip to "Black mother goose" Dave Godin's first scheduled release for the UK 444 label which never made it past a white label one off, despite ads in B&S. Crossover perfection. Seen in the £350 - £500 range a while back.

James Phelps - The look on your face - Apache Best version of this tune for me, but then I found it in Croydon for £4 a year or two ago. Expect to pay £500- 700.

Charles Drain - I'm gonna stay - RCA Wonderful cheap midtempo 70s I bought as a new release. £10 - 20.

Foundations - Change my life - UK Psycho Soul Essence play. Released c.1978 by Clem Curtis and the boys. Nice lazy piece of crossover. Got my copy in Stockholm for 40p, but expect to pay more!

Nate Evans - Main squeeze - Twinight DJ Spent a couple of years searching for this after first hearing it on a tape form Love Music Review. Similar in some ways to the James Phelps, a classic piece of Chicago 70s. £400 - 500.

Freddie Waters - You promised me - T-Jaye Superb singer is Freddie. First came across him via his UK Mint release of the US Stax issue of "Groovin' on my baby's love". Mellow 80s indie soul. Price has risen recently. Seen recently at £150.

Flowers - For real - Laxpressio Absolute classic. Anyone any idea of the going rate for this? Haven't seen this listed in years. Last one was £500 a few years ago.

Pro-Fascination - I want to wrap you in my arms - MOT Originally played for the flip "Try love again", but the exposure of "Wrap" has has caused the price of this to rocket. Been offered £1000 in trade for this. Better of the 2 45s on this label by the group.

Charles Johnson - Never had a love so good - Alston This needs no further hyping from me. Flips pretty decent too. His Dash 45 is a good tune too.

Tavasco - Love is trying to get a hold of me - Rampart 70s northern tune recently reissued on Grapevine 2000. Last seen listed for £700.

Sex - It's you - Super City Another obscure 70s northern tune out of New Orleans and coincidentally also reissued on Grapevine 2000. Wonder what damage the recent Katrina floods have done to the future supply levels of tunes like this. £500.

Eddie Floyd - I've never found a girl (to love me like you do) - Stax DJ Cheap as chips and twice as good. Quintessential summery soul music from the "Knock on wood" man. Made #2 on the Billboard R&B chart in July 1968. £5.

Two Tons of Love - What good am I without you - Paramount DJ Classic version of the Gladys Knight & the Pips album only tune form this Hispanic duo. Wonderful beat ballad with so much soul. £75 - 100

Lynn White - I don't know why - S.O.H. 12" 80s version of Ollie Nightingale's Memphis records original, taken as a duet with Farris Lanier of Lanier & Co. Around £10.

Al Green - Keep on pushing love - UK RCA Promo 12" UK promo only remix, classic modern tune from one of soul music's enduring masters. £40.

Temptations - Stay - Motown Promo 12" Standout track from their 1994 CD 'Phoenix rising' (from memory). First heard this at Soul Essence, took me a while to track down a vinyl copy. Samples the bassline from "My girl". Great vocals as you would expect from a group like the Tempts and a stringline to die for. £25.

Social source share

Two for teatime..................and good they are too.

Bobby Angelle - Living Lie - Money 125 - I did ask on here a few days ago if anyone had an idea of this superb West coast moover's value but as yet no feedback, i understand it has had a few plays at the gigs so there must be some following and interest for this Arthur Wright production which is uptempo in pace holds a very gritty pounding backbeat with an outstanding vocal, sounds the dogs bollocks at full volume and cements this powerhouse 45's quality, i found this on the bottom shelf put it on and instanly fell in love with it all over again, possibly the second time i've played it but had it a good few years, picked it up with a clutch of other records for very little money but i reckon it has a decent collectable price tag, has to be £75.00 and upwards (any ideas?????) i'm gonna give this record a spin when i'm out and about again would certainly work in the specialist rooms.

The Fantastics - That One B/W High Note - Sound Stage Seven 2548/Copa 8005 Another cracking double header also can be found on two labels SS7 being the more common i think although i have a nice white demo it should set you back around £30.00 and perhaps £40/50.00 on Copa, 'That One' is the more upbeat side with oh so cool and tight harmonies, the flip is just perfection once again, this is a solid group record and needs more of a profile, used to be very cheap at around £8.00 and has been swallowed up into collections over the years i bet, i wish i could locate more records in this style as they push all the right buttons for me......Three guys on stage and when they hit the high note they mean and feel it......Fantastic from the Fantastics both sides they hit their notes perfectly.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

5 more off the lunch time specials board........

FOUR FLIGHTS -- ALL I WANT IS YOU -- ALMERIA

from 1978 , produced by d.pearson jr....around £40 ...slow intro then BANG...simply wonderful

CRYSTAL MOTION -- YOURE MY MAIN SQUEEZE -- SOUND GEMS

from 1975..wonderful up-tempo dancer from philadelphia...around the £20 mark..SEE IT..BUY IT...

STORM -- SHE COMES UP -- PI KAPPA

crackin "b" side of "i dont know why"...terrific 70s that wont break the bank..around the £40 mark

RANCE ALLEN GROUP -- REASON TO SURVIVE -- CAPITOL

from 1977...this record needs no write up.......if you dont know it.....SHAME ON YOU

PACE-SETTERS -- PUSH ON JESSIE JACKSON -- KENT

funk then more funk....like to hear somethin a little different..check this out..cant be expensive TOP CLASS

Social source share

Snap! Just substitute daughter for 1 son & 2 daughters laugh.gif

Plus one neighbour who has threatened to report me to the council for playing records loudly at 11 o'clock in the morning before! whistling.gif

I wonder if they are any relations to the anal arses who although live TWO doors away, have had the audaacity to ask for the music to be turned down stating"we all like music but not that loud" wink.gif the neighbours either side of me are fine,you know what i did? i turned it up LOUDER!!!! del

Social source share

Two for teatime..................and good they are too.

The Fantastics - That One B/W High Note - Sound Stage Seven 2548/Copa 8005

this is a brilliant brilliant record which i've been after for ages so if any kind soul has a spare (on copa) that would be very much appreciated and handsome remuneration would be immediately forthcoming

whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Green Berets - (Lord) Send me somebody - Uni Calvin & Catamounts - I know my baby care for me - Catamount 70s jazzy doo-wop style 45 again too slow for the Northern scene but a fabulous vocal group performance. £100.

Towana & Total Destruction - Wear your natural baby - Romark Most of you probably know this - Ty's daughter on vocals. Several label variants too. Anything up to £300, but should be gettable cheaper.

Love the Green Berets. Did we ever get to the bottom of who actually is singing on the Towana record? Ady?

Some current home plays for me (with labels and info probably completely wrong):

Doris Duke Congratulations Baby Some yellow label, maybe Crajon? Excellent southern sounding vocal over a fairly uptempo hard hitting backing track, love it. Got some reaction a few times from dancers with this. Will go massive with the oldies crowd whistling.gif

Screamin' Jay Hawkins Baby You're My Everything Decca same as the Jerry Williams, absolutely excellent version flipped with a hard sixties remake of I Put A Spell On You that is ruined by a wierd break. Must get it cut with that bit dropped out!

Billy Bland She's Already Married Utter choker, been playing this over and over again for several years. Johnny McCall's version on Satellite isn't bad, but this is the dog's.

The b side of Pamela Beatty Talking Eyes, forget the title. Ditto Sam Williams on Tower. Lynn Roman Here I Am on Dot, was tipped off on this, cost a couple of dollars but took a while to find, Linda Griner allegedly, anyone know? Sublime.

One for Mikey, Love Not To Brag by The Sensations on Treasure Isle. Oops, its ska. Dead soulful though!

Social source share

Doris Duke Congratulations Baby Some yellow label, maybe Crajon? Excellent southern sounding vocal over a fairly uptempo hard hitting backing track, love it. Got some reaction a few times from dancers with this. Will go massive with the oldies crowd whistling.gif

Great record, not Crajon but have forgotten Doris showing she can do uptown style, thing theres another version thats pretty good as well if I remember rightly (Barbara West ????)

Screamin' Jay Hawkins Baby You're My Everything Decca same as the Jerry Williams, absolutely excellent version flipped with a hard sixties remake of I Put A Spell On You that is ruined by a wierd break. Must get it cut with that bit dropped out!

Somebody played this at hundered club many moons ago (IPASOY), Ady C or Randy I assume, and during the break everyone just stopped, anyone else remember this ??

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

F*ck me mate!! You do it every time. All your choices have been right up there, but this one always sends a shiver down my spine.....it is just so powerful and moody.

You mentioned the Volumes earlier....do you mean "You Got It Baby"? If it's that one, it's amazing how many people I come across who have the record and know the top side ("My Kind of Girl"??) but have never flipped it for that chunky dancer, gritty vocal and oh so cool harmonies!!

*The flip of "You Got It Baby" is "A Way To Love You" a nice mid-tempo effort. "My Kind Of Girl" (best Inferno side by them?) has "My Road Is The Right Road" on the flip.

DON'T KNOW WHAT'S WITH THE FORUM? All my replies end up in the same post, quite annoying.

Mark Bicknell wrote

Joe Murphy - So Blue (Without You) B/W It's A Weakness - Vivid 106 Distributed by Vee - Jay records so a strong Chicago connection here with this one, again been around years, 'So Blue' is a classy mid tempo almost lazy production on this track with the more upbeat flip 'Weakness' another two for the price of one gem and very much an class oldie which should be played more (both sides) i was suprised to see a red stock/issue copy which i have on a sales list a few months ago for £100.00 again i had no idea this record held such a price tag, could be wrong but perhaps another hard to find quality record, i've seen far more demo's over the years so perhaps the issue does warrent a ton.

*£100 is quite ridiculous IMO. I have seen it for £50, which is also too much. If anyone wants it I still have a few mint red issue copies at £20 each. A nice double sider that feature the Dells on Backing vocals apparently.

Still got a couple of slices of toast left so heres possibly the record of the day and it's still only early.

The Intentions - Don't Forget That I Love You - Philips 40428 - This Harthon production out of Philadelphia is one of the best down tempo group redords i hold in my collection, not sure of their ethnic background as this group could be blue eyed but this matters very little, the harmonies on this create instant tear jerking emotions, leaves me in a complete mess everytime i play it. as the lead singer pleas 'I wear this uniform for the sake of the land', so he's off to war and he's busted up inside as he's leaving his love behind.....i'm crying just thinking about it.

This was once another £10.00 tune way back but now possibly around the £50.00 mark perhaps a little more, you don't see too many copies of this for sale so snap it up if you see it, it won't set too many dance floors on fire but for a gut renching soulful moment this is a top tune.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I always thought this record was by a girl group, until I found out it was by a white male group (doh..). Philly record dealer Dennis Brennan was in the group I think. Nice record.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert