Did I Miss Something

BazM

Was anyone else confused by the description of items recently for sale on Ebay? The descriptions read as follows

SOUND IMPRESSION RECORDS

DONI BURDICK

BARI TRACK / I HAVE FAITH IN YOU

Not the original first press but this copy does look the business. The label looks stunning both sides, ideal for DJing. Vinyl is in excellent condition.

And the same for Jimmy Mack with scans of both items looking exactly like the originals. Are these dubs with copied lables on them, new conterfeits or actually originals. I found the description confusing. Any ideas??

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Was anyone else confused by the description of items recently for sale on Ebay? The descriptions read as follows

SOUND IMPRESSION RECORDS

DONI BURDICK

BARI TRACK / I HAVE FAITH IN YOU

Not the original first press but this copy does look the business.  The label looks stunning both sides, ideal for DJing.  Vinyl is in excellent condition.

And the same for Jimmy Mack with scans of both items looking exactly like the originals. Are these dubs with copied lables on them, new conterfeits or actually originals. I found the description confusing. Any ideas??

link

Think your right Baz - looked like label scans that had been laser printed and then stuck onto a boot - think both were booted on Soul Galore weren't they?

Social source share

Think your right Baz - looked like label scans that had been laser printed and then stuck onto a boot - think both were booted on Soul Galore weren't they?

link

Both were booted on Soul Galore and I dont think would have made anything like the £70plus quid the Doni Burdick made tonight especially with labele stuck on, although I may be wrong looking at some of the prices pressings are fetching these days.

What bothered me was the fact that from the scans, I thought they were actually originals (although in fairness it states they are not) which is why I was asking if anyone else thought the same. You've got to be careful these days with look-a-like copies coming out of the States, without the added pitfalls of being shown what look, for all the world like originals and then finding out they've be done on a computer and stuck on a dub plate.

Or were these real and the seller got it wrong??????? wadda ya think?

Social source share

There's more than one "collector" DJ who plays things like this. When I questioned one of their actions his response was " Well I paid a lot for the originals so I don't want to ruin 'em". RUIN 'EM?? You mean your frightened they won't stay in mint condition for when you sell them in a couple of years time?? You Dickhead! :wicked:

My response...."I'm oughta here". I left the venue there and then with steam coming outta my lugs!

The influx of "returnee" collectors has led to things like this being on the verge of "acceptable" to a lot of them.

I will never understand why people have to change things that aren't broken!! Oh yes I remember now............then again......"nuff sed!" :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

https://www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

There's more than one "collector" DJ who plays things like this. When I questioned one of their actions his response was " Well I paid a lot for the originals so I don't want to ruin 'em".  RUIN 'EM??  You mean your frightened they won't stay in mint condition for when you sell them in a couple of years time?? You Dickhead! :lol:

My response...."I'm oughta here". I left the venue there and then with steam coming outta my lugs!

The influx of "returnee" collectors has led to things like this being on the verge of "acceptable" to a lot of them.

I will never understand why people have to change things that aren't broken!! Oh yes I remember now............then again......"nuff sed!" :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

https://www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

link

easily upset Dave :unsure: If they have the original i dont see the problem considering the appaling state of some of the equipment we have to undure in the UK supplied by the promoters , my mate John Weston wrecked 4 £100 records(styrene) at one venue , i really feel sorry for the returnees you need to be a F****G millionaire to get even a reasonable collection :wicked: Just glad i returned in 1983 biggrin.gif

Social source share

easily upset Dave :thumbsup: If they have the original i dont see the problem considering the appaling state of some of the equipment we have to undure in the UK supplied by the promoters , my mate John Weston wrecked 4 £100 records(styrene) at one venue , i really feel sorry for the returnees you need to be a F****G millionaire to get even a reasonable collection  :lol: Just glad i returned in 1983 :wicked:

link

Totally agree Ted with your comments what's the problem with djs playing pressing etc if they have the originals and don't want to play it on a rubbish system with a crappy needle, top djs do it all the time press up accetates because they won't play album tracks or can't or just want to keep a rare 45 in top condition, right nuff said i'll get me coat :unsure:

Social source share

Problem solvers:

Buy 2 "healthy" styluses to use when you DJ.

Learn how to properly set up a turntable.

Don't cue styrene records.

link

Bob on there Seb,if theye can afford these records,theye can afford a couple of

spare stylus`s,then bill the promoter......this is non starter this,you dont play boots

at a serious night for any reason,meself i`ll wont play anything i cant afford,but mostly i cant afford anything,cant believe were even giving these people any

sort of creedence,i know promoters who dont set theyre aquipment propper thats

everytime,only takes 30secs or so!!so come on open ye mouth and tell em,instead

of tellin`us it ok,its not.......

:D

Social source share

Problem solvers:

Buy 2 "healthy" styluses to use when you DJ.

Learn how to properly set up a turntable.

Don't cue styrene records.

link

Problem

not all stylii are the same

it wasnt cue burn JW got ir]t was right through the record

and if the stylus is fucked it would not matter how well you could or not set the deck up

Social source share

Problem

and if the stylus is fucked it would not matter how well you could or not set the deck up

link

If your lookin` for credit,not gettin`any of me no way,just take some cheaper records say less than a tenner,plenty-a-good tune for a tenner,and dont play

the same 20 records over and over and over,get a life and some more records

best advice the decks are fukc`d,fukc off home i would or i would play me cheepo

records at my own risk,depending on how bad they are,just thought of this take your own decks,you can get a reasonable pair pair fer £100,set them up yerself

jobs a good-en :D

Social source share

Problem

link

I suspect that most venues use Technics 1200s or a lookalike of some kind. They all use the same kind of stylus set-ups. The reason JW got noise through the entire record was becasue the stylus was in poor condition, the weight was set too high and the anti-skating wasn't set-up properly. The people in charge of setting up the turntable didn't do his/hers job. It's VERY easy to learn how to do this. When it comes to this, ignorance is the main problem in my opinion.

Social source share

I suspect that most venues use Technics 1200s or a lookalike of some kind. They all use the same kind of stylus set-ups. The reason JW got noise through the entire record was becasue the stylus was in poor condition, the weight was set too high and the anti-skating wasn't set-up properly. The people in charge of setting up the turntable didn't do his/hers job. It's VERY easy to learn how to do this. When it comes to this, ignorance is the main problem in my opinion.

link

I've tried! someone put up instructions on here in tools and tackle i think, but couldnt get it to work :D it was on about using a blank record and the arm should stay in the same position while the blank record is going round, surley the turntable would have to be spot on level to do this :D

Edited by Baz
Social source share

If your lookin` for credit,not gettin`any of me no way,just take some cheaper records say less than a tenner,plenty-a-good tune for a tenner,and dont play

the same 20 records over and over and over,get a life and some more records

best advice the decks are fukc`d,fukc off home i would or i would play me cheepo

records at my own risk,depending on how bad they are,just thought of this take your own decks,you can get a reasonable pair pair fer £100,set them up yerself

jobs a good-en :D

link

Why would i be looking for credit

Social source share

easily upset Dave laugh.gif If they have the original i dont see the problem considering the appaling state of some of the equipment we have to undure in the UK supplied by the promoters , my mate John Weston wrecked 4 £100 records(styrene) at one venue , i really feel sorry for the returnees you need to be a F****G millionaire to get even a reasonable collection  whistling.gif Just glad i returned in 1983 laugh.gif

link

Strokes for folks Ted and all that I suppose. :(

For me PERSONALLY, it's the thin edge of the wedge. I've seen DJs play boots/pressings that have never SEEN a copy of JD Bryant etc never mind owned the bleedin' thing, and use the previous arguement as a reason why that's acceptable. As I say....strokes for folks. You wanna sit at home and drool over your minters, that's certainly anyone's perogative. Me...I like 'em out there blasting through speakers like they should be.

Regards,

Dave

https://www.hitsvillesoulclub.com/

Social source share

Strokes for folks Ted and all that I suppose. whistling.gif

For me PERSONALLY, it's the thin edge of the wedge. I've seen DJs play boots/pressings that have never SEEN a copy of JD Bryant etc never mind owned the bleedin' thing, and use the previous arguement as a reason why that's acceptable. As I say....strokes for folks. You wanna sit at home and drool over your minters, that's certainly anyone's perogative. Me...I like 'em out there blasting through speakers like they should be.

Regards,

Dave

https://www.hitsvillesoulclub.com/

link

Hi Dave

Have to be careful in what i say but my main gripe is dj's with loads of pressings getting the best time slots. As for me i have never played a pressing even when i have the original Except Gwen Owens cause i never know when it will jump on a system. J D Bryant does enhance my argument though my copy was the first to surface through Kev Roberts/Jim wensiora/Keb and has the usual Keb intro burn(sorry Keb)mind you i only paid £350 for it so cant complain

Bets

Ted

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert