Greed Or Unaware Water @ Events

Mike

Have to say was sort of suprised to read in this topic that at some events bouncers search and confisicate water out of customers bags and the only source is to pay what seems to be a high price at the bar

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...ndpost&p=166877

Many events that I get to nowadays do provide free water when asked.

Below govt guide does recommend that free water is made available.

Going by aim of guide, myself would say then any major event organiser should ensure free water is available, and allow water to be brought in.

Can't think of any valid reasons why this should be a problem

Any Thoughts ??

Promoters already taken care of this? unaware? not bothered?

Punters views ??

The Safer Clubbing guide contains comprehensive new advice for club owners, dance event promoters and local authority licensing departments on how to ensure the health and safety of anyone attending dance events in England.

which recommends that free water is made available

Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

There is a water dispenser at Luton. Which is nice if you've had your couple of bottles of beer quota and just want the occasional glass of water.

Every where else will be bottled water, top dollar, over a quid or whatever it is. All part of rip off Britain that we, the whinging masses reluctantly accept with some rightful moaning along the way.

Acid test is to see whether 'staff' would confiscate water brought to a do.

Social source share

There is a water dispenser at Luton.  Which is nice if you've had your couple of bottles of beer quota and just want the occasional glass of water.

Every where else will be bottled water, top dollar, over a quid or whatever it is.  All part of rip off Britain that we, the whinging masses reluctantly accept with some rightful moaning along the way.

Acid test is to see whether 'staff' would confiscate water brought to a do.

link

I've had water cofiscated at more than one nighter.

And a soul night, come to think of it.

Social source share

I've had water cofiscated at more than one nighter.

And a soul night, come to think of it.

link

I have seen that happen too and also at one nighter they confiscated water as well as other drinks and later ran out of bottled water and some soft drinks. A lot of places if you ask for a glass of tap water it is happily given.

Social source share

dunno if its just the retro crowd who are only ones stuck in 1970s, going by posts above seems like some promoters are as well

main reason water is recomended to be freely available is due to drug use

few clips below

dunno what legal side is

but would have thought any major event organiser should be aware of stuff like the below

and while maybe feel not a major problem or likelyhood, if its good enough for rest of uk, then it should be good enough for soul events

Availability of drinking water

It is important that everyone attending dance events keeps themselves

hydrated with water or other non-alcoholic drinks. This is particularly

important for those who have consumed alcohol and drugs, especially

ecstasy.

It is therefore imperative that there is free and unrestricted, but

monitored, access to cold drinking water at all times. Licensing

authorities should be aware that, in order to maximise bar profits,

several owners and promoters have turned off water supplies,

supplied only warm water or discouraged bar staff from supplying free

cold water. The provision of free water is often a standard condition of

a licence where dance music is being played and any breach should be

considered very seriously.

Social source share

Have to say was sort of suprised to read in this topic that at some events bouncers search and confisicate water out of customers bags and the only source is to pay what seems to be a high price at the bar

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...ndpost&p=166877

Many events that I get to nowadays do provide free water when asked.

Below govt guide  does recommend that free water is made available.

Going by aim of guide, myself would say then any major event organiser should ensure free water is available, and allow water to be brought in.

Can't think of any valid reasons why this should be a problem

Any Thoughts ??

Promoters already taken care of this? unaware? not bothered?

Punters views ??

The Safer Clubbing guide contains comprehensive new advice for club owners, dance event promoters and local authority licensing departments on how to ensure the health and safety of anyone attending dance events in England.

which recommends that free water is made available

link

maybe will could do a test over the next couple of weeks see what clubs stop you taking water in ?

water taken off me fleetwood soul weekender 2004 given raffle ticket to collect on the way home :angry:

and also thinking about it, water taken off me the Rocket London when that was going. :angry:

Social source share

Mike is right, the need for water to be available and free is a requirement and due to the drugs scene in general of the 90's. It is something we have dealt with at the Plinston for the past few years, the need or water that is, and ensure that once the bar shuts at 1am there are plenty of water jugs freely available. We would never confiscate water bottles on the door...thouse that contain water that is and not vodka...eh ladies!!!!!!

Social source share

Mike is right, the need for water to be available and free is a requirement and due to the drugs scene in general of the 90's. It is something we have dealt with at the Plinston for the past few years, the need or water that is, and ensure that once the bar shuts at 1am there are plenty of water jugs freely available. We would never confiscate water bottles on the door...thouse that contain water that is and not vodka...eh ladies!!!!!!

link

If you look into human rights issues I think you will find your answers.... and it is a legal requirement that water is freely available as previously mentioned. Also if the seal is unbroken on bottled water they have no legal right to confiscate it. I work within a secure unit and deal with issues such as this all the time

Social source share

link

That's fair. I wonder how many other venues are that fair and I wonder who amongst us would want to be seen as 'the troublemaker at the bar' even though it is our right.

Social source share

I got thrown out of the Pier 39 hear in Cleethorpes by the bouncers for refusing to pay 75p for a pint of water in 1983. Alot for a glass of water poured in front of my eyes straight out the tap. Just like to add it was not a soul night, but I did not know they had to supply water at dance venues. Thanks for the Info

Trouble is, even with the law on your side if you complain they just wont let you in.

Social source share

:D   ME  :D

link

Fair go Dawn. :shades: But you know in a lot of circs, promoters are also friends who envariably have a lot on their minds the night of a do. Just think some may be reluctant to cause them more agg.

Bar staff come with the venue and they want to sell you Vittel, Volvic, Evian etc at £1.00, £1.50, £1.99 per bottle.

Social source share

Fair go Dawn. :D   But you know in a lot of circs, promoters are also friends who envariably have a lot on their minds the night of a do.  Just think some may be reluctant to cause them more agg.

Bar staff come with the venue and they want to sell you Vittel, Volvic, Evian etc at £1.00, £1.50, £1.99 per bottle.

link

Yeah true enough Ian see where you are coming from on this, niteclub rates round here are £2.50 for a bottle of volvic....

Robbing gits :shades:

Social source share

Fair go Dawn. :shades:   But you know in a lot of circs, promoters are also friends who envariably have a lot on their minds the night of a do.  Just think some may be reluctant to cause them more agg.

link

The bar staff that come with the venues should know the rules,they expect we do

or in london theyre all ausies and dont do rules.......well not ours?,rule are usualy

there for good reasons,and shouldnt be taken lightly by bar staff & promotors alike

all this by the by anyway as i like Pop,but dont like paying for it like it was some

sort of contraband,dont mind paying for it,but more than £1 for half bit of a joke

really!!,its not rocket science water should be provided gratis end off....Ken

Social source share

link

I have to say I was really impressed when I went to Plinston and a trolley loaded up with glasses of water appeared, I can honestly say I have never seen that happen at any other venue.

To be honest I don't bother taking bottles of water into venues nowdays as I have had too many taken away, but I will always ask for a pint of tap water should I want it, have to say a few places will only sell you bottled stuff :shades:

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Water is free from behind the bar at middleton civic,and am told by the manager they have a water fountain but cant remember seeing it.If there is something wrong at a venue complain to the promoter on the nite,if they do nothing dont go.

Social source share

At one pub where I DJ i am asked "would you like a drink?" and it's followed buy "Do you ant to pay for it now or shall I take it out of your money later?"

The coffee's free though.

At another they are still surprised when I ask for a pint of cold water rather than take a couple of free bottles of Budwar.

At this bar there's usually a bunch of live acts on upstairs, a name band and a couple of local groups in support. The locals are usually accompanied by their aunties , uncles and anyone else daft enough to pay a fiver to catch their prodegies. So one often finds oneself standing beside bunch of men of a similar age to myself. On the first night I thought time for a pint and waited till the uncles were served. The venue bar is a traditional office pub during the day so has a full range of beers. They were all drinking pints of Heavy and each had to endure the question from the harassed barmaid "Are you taking this upstairs?" I had to explain to them that if they were taking a pint upstairs it had to be poured into a plastic tumbler in case they were tempted to throw it at the band. Then i got asked the same question when requesting a pint of Tennant's . Naw i'm taking it over to that pair of hot decks where I've been playing records all night. She had the grace to bush and offered me a more expensive pint.

Venues hate people taking drinks in and on works' nights out I hate it when colleagues (usually females) haul bottles out of bags. It's that obvious when the round consists of unadulterated spirits. Of course at the end of the night the licensee finds the empty bottles foreign to their bar. So a hard and fast rule is introduced and applied to all functions. No bottles to be brought into the bar.

However they should serve you a glass of water.

Social source share

I remember going to the Dome and asking for water, and was refused, (this was few years back!) I gave them the riot act, etc. but they wouldnt budge. I do suffer with dehydration through too much dancing and not enough eating, sure there must be others on the scene who have to make sure they have water - so I got round it by bringing water and putting it in a plastic bag so even when my bag was searched they didnt confiscate it! Mind you whats the 100 club policy as I remember years back when you wasnt allowed to bring water in and had to leave it upstairs! (or is it just talc nowadays that's banned - over to you kenny!)

Social source share

If you ask for it the 100 club will give you a pint of cold water for free, and if your lucky and they have ice left they will give you that too :shades:

Your right Andy, the promoter on the night is the first call of complaint with anything, it really does annoy me when people come on here and slag promoters/venues off when on the night they do nothing about sorting out any problems, daft on their part really eh

Social source share

Your right Andy, the promoter on the night is the first call of complaint with anything, it really does annoy me when people come on here and slag promoters/venues off when on the night they do nothing about sorting out any problems, daft on their part really eh

link

Free water IMHO is down to the bar and venue owner, nothing to do with the promoter, never really been a drinker of water at venues apart from when they stop serving beer :D:shades: so its not a big case for me, but alot of people do get need plenty :D

Social source share

Free water IMHO is down to the bar and venue owner, nothing to do with the promoter, never really been a drinker of water at venues apart from when they stop serving beer :D   :shades: so its not a big case for me, but alot of people do get need plenty  :D

link

A small ammount in whisky is handy Baz :D

Social source share

Free water isn't a LEGAL requirement. However the compliance with the 'Safer Clubbing' guide may be a condition on the venues public on licence / club registration certificate (issued by the magistrates courts) or Public Entertainment Licence (issued by the Local Authority) under the current system or a stipulation in the outlets operating plan under the new licensing system (all combined and under the control of the Local Authority from November). More and more areas are now running accreditation schemes along the lines of 'Best Bar None' in Manchester which give a recognised accreditation for good practice including free water being available and the Home office is currently investigating the possibility of making entry into an accreditation scheme such as BBN compulsory.

Until then if it isn't in the operating plan then there will be no compulsion for the venue to supply it.

Having said that there is always MORAL obligation to supply it.

I know we had real problems with security at the Winter Gardens confiscating water as well as vodka, wine etc we managed to resolve it but it took some doing.

We didn't need people to complain we knew right away this was a problem it took us two events and two meetings with the management of the venue to sort it out.

Social source share

Free water IMHO is down to the bar and venue owner, nothing to do with the promoter, never really been a drinker of water at venues apart from when they stop serving beer :thumbsup:   :huh: so its not a big case for me, but alot of people do get need plenty  :)

link

Yes it is down to the owner but as a customer of a promoter your complaint line is with the promoter first

Social source share

I remember going to the Dome and asking for water, and was refused, (this was few years back!) I gave them the riot act, etc. but they wouldnt budge.  I do suffer with dehydration through too much dancing and not enough eating, sure there must be others on the scene who have to make sure they have water - so I got round it by bringing water and putting it in a plastic bag so even when my bag was searched they didnt confiscate it!  Mind you whats the 100 club policy as I remember years back when you wasnt allowed to bring water in and had to leave it upstairs!  (or is it just talc nowadays that's banned - over to you kenny!)

link

Dont know this is the frontdoor?but bet you can ask for a drink of water,but i dont

know,i do understand why bottles arent allowed though,cause people put other

things in these bottles,and it aint allways booz!!!...

Social source share

sure there must be others on the scene who have to make sure they have water - so I got round it by bringing water and putting it in a plastic bag so even when my bag was searched they didnt confiscate it!

........... But doesn't it leak Karen ????? :thumbsup:

At the last Dome I was stopped at the door because I had half a bottle of water with me, luckily Ady P. was lurking just inside the door & was able to rescue me &

explain to the doorman that water was ok to be brought in. So thanks Ady & I still owe you a glass of tap water for that :huh:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert