Northern In Jordan?

Guest Iratesoultwin1

Guest Iratesoultwin1

Can anyone help me...please??? I am moving out to Jordan soon, to work, but the thought of missing a good northern night each weekend fills me with dread.....I dont suppose there are any NS nights in the Middle East that anyone knows of do they? Getting panicky now... Chrissie :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Can anyone help me...please??? I am moving out to Jordan soon, to work, but the thought of missing a good northern night each weekend fills me with dread.....I dont suppose there are any NS nights in the Middle East that anyone knows of do they? Getting panicky now... Chrissie :thumbsup:

link

You must be bonkers?? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mattmale

If you do find a night out there, don't forget to ask for the

The Delcos - Arabia... :thumbsup:

Any others?

Edited by mattmale
Social source share

link

LOL!!

I spent some time in Jordan in the 90s. Place called Zharka. Man they only just got leccy never mind technics!!

Great weekends at Aquaba though. Red Sea....best diving in the world - ENJOY.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

If you're in the Arab world, why not have a listen to some of the great singers? If anyone comes close to soul singers for vocal technique coupled with emotion it has to be the Arabs. Have a listen to Muhammed Abdu for a mellismatic, acrobatic display that rivals Jackie Wilson. or to Abu Bakir Salem for a gut-wrenched ,parched delivery reminiscent of a Geater Davis. Don't expect 4 bar stompers. Get ready for lush orchestrations that bring to mind up- town New York productions.

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

you might find some records whilst out there though...got a scan of a northern record on an Iranian release, coloured vinyl too I think  :thumbsup:

link

Had a couple of records from a guy in Lebanon a while back, often had multi coloured vinyl copies of some half decent records. can't think of his name offhand.

Social source share

link

well ill miss you for sure

i worked out there as a builder for 7 yrs

lotsa sand but no water or cement whistling.gif

nice to see you at eastleigh

sorry i missed luton

were u going this sat nite

Social source share

Guest Iratesoultwin1

well ill miss you for sure

i worked out there as a builder for 7 yrs

lotsa sand but no water or cement whistling.gif

nice to see you at eastleigh

sorry i missed luton

were u going this sat nite

link

Not sure whether to go to Junction 11 or Lightwater....what do you think? Where are you going..oh, and who are you..still getting to grips with this site - just a novice here, so be patient with me! :thumbsup:

Social source share

whistling.gif:thumbsup::lol:

temptations - (girl) why you wanna mecca me blue

soul bros six - oil be lovin' you

epitome of sand - where were yousuf

marvin gaye - osama kind of wonderful

bobby freeman - soulful saudi music

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Voices of East Harem - Cashing in

Willie Tee - Walking up a one way casbah

Guitar Ray - You're gonna Iraq my life

Supremes - Camel get these memories

O C Smith - Friend, lover, woman, wife, wife, wife, wife, wife.

Edwin Starr - Jihad

Social source share

Voices of East Harem - Cashing in

Willie Tee - Walking up a one way casbah

Guitar Ray - You're gonna Iraq my life

Supremes - Camel get these memories

O C Smith - Friend, lover, woman, wife, wife, wife, wife, wife.

Edwin Starr - Jihad

link

some of those are genius mikey

jihad....arrrgh....what is it good for....well, terrifying the infidels and spreading shria law throughout the world....huhh!.....jihad....oohh-oohh-woo-oooh-ooh....jihad...repeat to fade

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

some of those are genius mikey

jihad....arrrgh....what is it good for....well, terrifying the infidels and spreading shria law throughout the world....huhh!.....jihad....oohh-oohh-woo-oooh-ooh....jihad...repeat to fade

link

Cheers Dan

Maybe Supremes - come and get these Dromadaries. might have been better.

Or Jamo Thomas - I spy (for the mujahideen)

oil get my coolie

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Can anyone help me...please??? I am moving out to Jordan soon, to work, but the thought of missing a good northern night each weekend fills me with dread.....I dont suppose there are any NS nights in the Middle East that anyone knows of do they? Getting panicky now... Chrissie shades.gif

link

Chrissie,

Plenty of funk, soul, r&b and jazz here in Dubai, including some class bands and performers from the USA and from South Africa, but little interest in Northern Soul. If we ain't got it here, you ain't gonna find it anywhere else in the Middle East.

:lol: Sorry to disappoint :thumbsup:

John

Social source share

Had a couple of records from a guy in Lebanon a while back, often had multi coloured vinyl copies of some half decent records. can't think of his name offhand.

link

Two nice Lebanon issues: Eddie Holman- I surrender and mod beat in-demander Rebel Rousers- As i look (with nice P/S too). Been told some iranian Rolling Stones P/S issues are worth 500 $ +

Best!

Eduard

Social source share

Not sure whether to go to Junction 11 or Lightwater....what do you think? Where are you going..oh, and who are you..still getting to grips with this site - just a novice here, so be patient with me!  :(

link

lightwater is your best bet

its free b4 9pm for ladies plus ill be there to get you a drink

by the way

im steve and emmas m8

we chatted at eastleigh and u nearly kissed my hand at bournemouth

Social source share

Don't know if this info is any good to you, but based in Jerusalem, there is a soul website, 'soul of the net', run by Yoni,the emphasis is on Northern although a very wide variety of soul music is played. I was a bit flummoxed when i first came across this website as it was in Hebrew, but now it's all done in English :( Del x

Social source share

I know this isn't much use now but actually there has been a Northern Soul Night held in Saudi Arabia, actually three. During 92 - 93 myself and a guy called Mick Howard (preston area) organised these at the British Aerospace compounds. Wasn't too difficult just pitched up and said we wanted to do a Soul and Motown party, banged up a few posters and away we went.

The Last one we did at BA2 compound was packed we had to turn people away. Most of the material was Motown as Goldmine etc were just getting off the ground with CD's. Though every other track was off the Up All Night Cd's which I think must have been one of the first Northern Soul CD's produced. Remember people coming up and asking about Don Thomas C'mon Train when we played it.

Moved on in 93 to the Philippines where I've lived ever since and yes we have Northern Soul nites here every three or Four months. Last year has Chris lalor and Dave Burton in attendance and doing spots.

Every Saturday between 10 a.m and 12 noon (UK time) now involved in co-hosting a Soul and Motown show on national radio here which if you have nothing better to do you can have a listen online at: https://www.rjplanet.com/rjfm/live.html just follow the instructions on the page. Tend to start off with the motown 'Hits' but now broadened the show to play the rarer motown tunes and Northern such as Prince Philip Mitchell, Dee Clark, Kurt Harris, Sandi Sheldon etc.

Anyway new to the forum hope to drop in and chat a bit more.

Cheers Shane Cosgrove - Originally llandudno, then Dudley. :(

Social source share

Guest Iratesoultwin1

lightwater is your best bet

its free b4 9pm for ladies plus ill be there to get you a drink

by the way

im steve and emmas m8

we chatted at eastleigh and u nearly kissed my hand at bournemouth

link

Now I know you...its Moldie, isnt it!!!! I was SMELLING your hand..couldnt hear what you said over the music, thought you said you had new after shave on!!! Looks like I am up to Junction 11......let me know if anyone wants a lift, got a spare seat in my car...in fact going alone, meeting others there! When is Farnborough on...liked that doo a lot! Chrissie

Social source share

Guest Iratesoultwin1

Chrissie,

Plenty of funk, soul, r&b and jazz here in Dubai, including some class bands and performers from the USA and from South Africa, but little interest in Northern Soul.  If we ain't got it here, you ain't gonna find it anywhere else in the Middle East.

:D   Sorry to disappoint  :D

John

link

Just have to pop over to Dubai periodically then I guess! Cheers John! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Iratesoultwin1

I know this isn't much use now but actually there has been a Northern Soul Night held in Saudi Arabia, actually three. During 92 - 93 myself and a guy called Mick Howard (preston area) organised these at the British Aerospace compounds. Wasn't too difficult just pitched up and said we wanted to do a Soul and Motown party, banged up a few posters and away we went.

The Last one we did at BA2 compound was packed we had to turn people away. Most of the material was Motown as Goldmine etc were just getting off the ground with CD's. Though every other track was off the Up All Night Cd's which I think must have been one of the first Northern Soul CD's produced. Remember people coming up and asking about Don Thomas C'mon Train when we played it.

Moved on in 93 to the Philippines where I've lived ever since and yes we have Northern Soul nites here every three or Four months. Last year has Chris lalor and Dave Burton in attendance and doing spots.

Every Saturday between 10 a.m and 12 noon (UK time) now involved in co-hosting a Soul and Motown show on national radio here which if you have nothing better to do you can have a listen online at: https://www.rjplanet.com/rjfm/live.html just follow the instructions on the page. Tend to start off with the motown 'Hits' but now broadened the show to play the rarer motown tunes and Northern such as Prince Philip Mitchell, Dee Clark, Kurt Harris, Sandi Sheldon etc.

Anyway new to the forum hope to drop in and chat a bit more.

Cheers Shane Cosgrove - Originally llandudno, then Dudley.  :thumbsup:

link

Cheers Shane.....will try and tune in to the radio :D

Social source share

Now I know you...its Moldie, isnt it!!!! I was SMELLING your hand..couldnt hear what you said over the music, thought you said you had new after shave on!!! Looks like I am up to Junction 11......let me know if anyone wants a lift, got a spare seat in my car...in fact going alone, meeting others there! When is Farnborough on...liked that doo a lot! Chrissie

link

your rite it is me lol

sorry you cant come to lightwater

will be a great nite

im off to castle soul club tonite

unsure on when next farnborough do is

it gets booked up so quick

weddings deaths and the like

look fwd to seing you soon

regards

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source