Exits 'Money/Streetlamp - Gemini

Guest ShaneH

Guest ShaneH

Which is the rarer one?

I have copies of the yellow one but I have been told it's rarer on a green label. Also what difference does it make to the value?

Thanks

Shane

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

I think I heard that, as opposed to the same record being pressed at 2 different printing plants, this one was printed in the same place, but they ran out of one colour paper, so just printed the rest of the labels in a different colour.

Couldnt tell you which was which, but I dont think the value is that much different for either. Its not a record I particularly like, tho it was very popular in London a couple of years back.

I havent seen either for sale much, but I think they still go for around the £40-50 mark.

Has anyone heard a different story?? I have been known to get these things mixed up, and so could be talking about a completely different record.

Social source share

I'll just add this in the mix, which may also help me.

I have this record on a lime green colour with a proper printed design and is totally different to the more common green/yellow copies where the script / type face looks like a type writter was used, infact the type face on mine is bold and beautiful and takes the record into a different dimension, I've not seen another like this so it's interesting if nothing else.

Still a fantastic record whatever it's value or format it's on.

Regards - Mark Bicknell

Social source share

I think I heard that, as opposed to the same record being pressed at 2 different printing plants, this one was printed in the same place, but they ran out of one colour paper, so just printed the rest of the labels in a different colour.

I heard that is was a case of 2 different plants. O well could be wrong. Again.

Dont know which is rarer but I've seen alot more green than yellow ones. great record whichever flavour!

Mark can you do a scan of yours???

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I think I would take Dave's version.

It is probably more accurate than mine.

I do know I was talking to someone about Voices of East Harlem, which was I hope, printed in 2 different plants. Then another track was mentioned and the above story came out.

Like I said it was probably a completely different record??

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I have this record on a lime green colour with a proper printed design and is totally different to the more common green/yellow copies where the script / type face looks like a type writter was used, infact the type face on mine is bold and beautiful and takes the record into a different dimension, I've not seen another like this so it's interesting if nothing else.

Regards - Mark Bicknell

I'd like to see a scan of your copy Mark.

And I have to totally agree 100%, it is a fantastic record.

If anybody is interested, it's been featured on quite a few funk DJs playlists in recent months. So it must be good;-)

Social source share

One of the best double siders around for sure. 'Under The Streetlamp' is fast becoming my fave side.

Old Stafford spin apparently ;-)

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

For me it's a fantastic double sider but if I had to choose I would favour 'Money'. I have a friend on the funk scene who loves that side too.

I do love the story within the lyrics on 'streetlamp' with the classic tale of aspiring past the end of their street and going onto better things. Brilliant stuff!

Shane

Social source share

so are we saying its the yellow or the green one then thats worth more?

please say its the yellow cos i paid 1.50 for mine in 83 !

No, what we're saying is we don't really know why there are 2 different color labels.

Money wise both bout £40ish. But my gut feeling (not worth a lot) is that the yellow one is a bit rarer. If i needed to buy it I would pay the extra £1.50 to get the yellow one ;-)

Social source share

The mid-green and yellow copies of The Exits should be worth exactly the same. The lighter green one with the credits in a compressed typeface that Mark Bicknell spoke about is a lot harder to find, but whether it's worth a considerably larger sum of money is open to debate.

This record fits into the "what were the earliest sounds you remember" post from earlier today for me... I remember someone (Tony Ellis?) playing "Under The Street Lamp" at the long-lamented Function at The Junction in the early 1980s, being blown away by it, and also being amazed that it was a record you could readily buy for about two or three quid.

It still sends a shiver down my spine every time I hear it and must be one of the best soul records ever played on the scene. For me Under The Street Lamp is the epitome of male group harmony soul singing - everything about it is perfect.

So, whatever it costs, it's cheap really.

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell

I'm sure mine is the same!

Social source share

The green and yellow copies you see should be the same price although you do see more green for sale. More than likely the same pressing plant just different colour paper after running out of one.

£40 seems to be the rate nowadays.

Didn't this used to be a £5 record you saw everywhere? Saying that you still see it everywhere ;-)

Social source share

The mid-green and yellow copies of The Exits should be worth exactly the same. The lighter green one with the credits in a compressed typeface that Mark Bicknell spoke about is a lot harder to find, but whether it's worth a considerably larger sum of money is open to debate.

This record fits into the "what were the earliest sounds you remember" post from earlier today for me... I remember someone (Tony Ellis?) playing "Under The Street Lamp" at the long-lamented Function at The Junction in the early 1980s, being blown away by it, and also being amazed that it was a record you could readily buy for about two or three quid.

It still sends a shiver down my spine every time I hear it and must be one of the best soul records ever played on the scene. For me Under The Street Lamp is the epitome of male group harmony soul singing - everything about it is perfect.

So, whatever it costs, it's cheap really.

In agreement with you yet again Gareth, I agreed 'bout those knobheads at the 100 on Sat, Darrell etc., don't forget their wonderful Kapp outing "Another Sundown In Watts", basically a re-hash of "Streetlamp" fabulous stuff-Ain't soul great!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert