Sister Rosetta Tharpe

Guest GARV

Anyone else catch this documentary on Sister Rosetta Tharpe? , absolutely fantastic. She played with Marie Knight [ had an affair with her too ] , also played

Chorlton- cum- Hardy railway station :D . Billed as the first Rock n Roll artist, the revolutionary way she played guitar & broke the all the rules, taking gospel from the church to the night clubs. The BBC , especially BBC4, really do fantastic musical documentary`s. If you missed it i guess it will be on BBC i player......... well worth watching.

Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Rosetta Tharpe LEGEND words cannot describe the impact her music and presence had in shapin the way music was to move forward in the 50,s--60,s a truely inspirational figure in the history of Black America..Superstar does,nt do Sister Rosetta Tharpe

justice she sang with the Angels from within her SOUL...

Her performance on the platform of Chorlton-cum -Hardy station on that wet dreary day wow it dont get any better than that :thumbsup:

LOVE , PEACE & HAPPINESS

Ian Cunliffe

Edited by IANCSLOFT
Social source share

You lucky buggers... again. That version of Didn't It Rain? on the wet railway platform is simply wonderful. She also looks regal in that coat as she arrives in the buggy. Those early 60's audiences were so lucky. Imagine getting Skip James, Bukka White, Sleepy John Estes, Son House and Mississippi John Hurt all on the same bill! I envy those like I envy those who went to the wheel and the torch.

Social source share

are they on again at all? Missed them :thumbsup: On TV that is so can record them.

Try BBC i player chalky, you will get the Rossetta Thrape but not sure about the Chess docu........... the Chess one is outstanding.

Social source share

Here is the Chorlton-cum Hardy gig................... that guitar playing is unreal. You can hear Chuck Berry, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton et al in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7lN1R2LP-4&feature=related

Just had to add the next part " trouble in mind" ................ goosebumps :thumbsup:, the sound quality of this performance is excellent, any one know what sort of set up the band would have had?.......... looks to me as she just has a regular amp & the drums & piano are miked up , would of thought the sound would have drifted all over the shop

Edited by GARV
Social source share

i really enjoyed it......yes.gif ......great early footage of life in the rythm and blues clubs and those times in general.i have had stuff by rosetta ............on rae cox label i think ? ..i didnt know she recorded the storming "three little fishes " iv had by the angelic choir , ..and i have a 78 by marie knight somewhere that i cant find any info on.....must dig it out ,very up tempo i seem to recall. programme well worth a second viewing, cheers , ezzie :D

Social source share

i really enjoyed it......:D ......great early footage of life in the rythm and blues clubs and those times in general.i have had stuff by rosetta ............on rae cox label i think ? ..i didnt know she recorded the storming "three little fishes " iv had by the angelic choir , ..and i have a 78 by marie knight somewhere that i cant find any info on.....must dig it out ,very up tempo i seem to recall. programme well worth a second viewing, cheers , ezzie :lol:

Bugger.............I missed this too.................must catch the repeat tomorrow!!!!

I've got something by Marie Knight too............but I can't remember what it is at the mo, lol!!! hypo.gif

Read something in the paper the other day about BBC4 maybe getting axed...............hope not........they've had some great stuff on there!!! Caught

the Chess documentary last time it was on.................top drawer!!!

Caz

Edited by jobbo
Social source share

Enjoyed the programme, was very suprised at the final wedding which seemed staged entirely for income and publicity ; thats some way to go ............................but I have to say, very innovative for the time :D

Yes I was surprised at that too.

Enjoyed the programme...........although I think I would've like it if somewhere along the line one or two artists themselves had confirmed how much of an influence she was on them.

I sort of felt it was more heresay than fact as such!

Carol :lol:

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

Saw both chess & sister tharpe programes ( excellent ). Is it only me or would the rosetta tharpe story make a good movie, possibly directed by spike lee & queen lattifa in the starring role. What about Angela basset as Marie Knight, she was great as Tina?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert