Collecting 60's Soul Albums

Started to pick up a few more 60's soul albums, love them to bits, not got a huge amount but been growing in recent times, just love the whole look about them, not to mention some wonderful music to be found, still a few I'm after but all part of the fun, still need Barbara Lynn on Atco, Jackie Wilson - Higher And Higher on Bruswick sold that way back and proving hard to get a clean copy, see some of my favorite things here which most of which have been at Bicknell Towers for many a year, happy collecting.

post-1475-0-74872500-1295044472_thumb.jp

post-1475-0-17107300-1295044517_thumb.jp

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Started to pick up a few more 60's soul albums, love them to bits, not got a huge amount but been growing in recent times, just love the whole look about them, not to mention some wonderful music to be found, still a few I'm after but all part of the fun, still need Barbara Lynn on Atco, Jackie Wilson - Higher And Higher on Bruswick sold that way back and proving hard to get a clean copy, see some of my favorite things here which most of which have been at Bicknell Towers for many a year, happy collecting.

Quite partial myself Mark and been picking up a few lately - always loved the UK Various Artists albums - Islands - 'Duke & The Peacock', ' This Is Sue', This Is Blues', 'Soul '66', the Minit '33 Minutes' and ' Backtrack 6' ( both in you pictures) etc etc- opened up a whole new world for me back in the day. Mike

Social source share

Some great albums there Mark, seems to be a fair mix of UK and US releases.

I may have a few spares (Action label etc) that you could be interested in - happy to do trades against decent 45s.

Thanks mate trouble is I wish I had some decent 45's left lol, looking for Barbara Lynn on Atco as a main LP want, missed one on Ebay as I thought £70.00 was a bit rich but on reflection perhaps not.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Quite partial myself Mark and been picking up a few lately - always loved the UK Various Artists albums - Islands - 'Duke & The Peacock', ' This Is Sue', This Is Blues', 'Soul '66', the Minit '33 Minutes' and ' Backtrack 6' ( both in you pictures) etc etc- opened up a whole new world for me back in the day. Mike

Hi Mike, had the Duke and Sue Albums but sold them way back so thanks for reminding me pal, think the Backtrack 6 album is pretty tuff to find, don't you just love the cover on that one lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Thanks mate trouble is I wish I had some decent 45's left lol, looking for Barbara Lynn on Atco as a main LP want, missed one on Ebay as I thought £70.00 was a bit rich but on reflection perhaps not.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

It must be quite hard - Dave Godin use to bemoan the fact - often in Blues & Soul - that he loaned his copy to UK Atlantic with a view to getting a UK release but they never returned it and that was back in early 70's. £70 sounds about right - but I make do with my UK Oval facsimile yes.gif

Social source share

Hi Mike, had the Duke and Sue Albums but sold them way back so thanks for reminding me pal, think the Backtrack 6 album is pretty tuff to find, don't you just love the cover on that one lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Strange one Backtrack 6 - like a Diamond in a tar pit amongst all the others in the series all that Polydor stuff inc the Who (Jimi excepted of course) = wonder what the rock fans made of 'Don't Be Sore At Me' huh.gif

Social source share

Strange one Backtrack 6 - like a Diamond in a tar pit amongst all the others in the series all that Polydor stuff inc the Who (Jimi excepted of course) = wonder what the rock fans made of 'Don't Be Sore At Me' huh.gif

Reckon that's why they put the little chap on the cover with a spliff because of the Rock fans reaction lol

Mark

Social source share

Did this have the same tracklisting as the Liquorice Alsorts lp on track - the one with braille on the back cover?

That had tracks by the Parliaments, Debonaires etc.

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

you can grab the US press on Atlantic, stereo or mono for less than that usually (unless its a promo), just have to religiously check the buy it now listings & snag the best one that comes up, I've grabbed NM copies of both stereo & mono over the last couple of years for around $30-$40 US. Great LP.

I love 60s soul LPs, try to buy them whenever I can.

Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi Mark I have never really been a collector of LPs. in saying that, at a quick glance there has to be 300 or more, apart from the classic reggae LPs of 68 -71 Trojan & PAMA, I have got Soul City, Stateside, Atlantic & Stax London, Bell, SUE and so on, What concerns me the most is how many rare LPs did i not pick up at car boot fairs in the 80s & 90s as I never bothered at all, with the stupid northern soul notion of the 70s we don't do LPs & 12" records on our scene? stupid I tells you, however they are still cheap in comparison to a 45 of the same vintage ph34r.gif DAVE

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert