Nnother Ebay Price! Freddie Scott - I'll Be Gone

Dean

https://cgi.ebay.com/Freddie-Scott-Ill-Gone-Northern-Soul-45-Shout-HEAR-/120668752102?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item1c186b08e6

Now I do really lik this track and think it would be a good one to hear out more, but I've always thought of it as a very cheap record to get. Just saw this Freddie Scott - I'll be Gone on SHOUT $67 with ten mins left and 12 bids. Where are htese bidders when you need em eh?

Social source share

https://cgi.ebay.com/...=item1c186b08e6

Now I do really lik this track and think it would be a good one to hear out more, but I've always thought of it as a very cheap record to get. Just saw this Freddie Scott - I'll be Gone on SHOUT $67 with ten mins left and 12 bids. Where are htese bidders when you need em eh?

It's a tune that's seen a lot more interest in the last 12 months or so and is getting more difficult to source..

Social source share

I agree with Greg; there's been a lot of interest in this record lately. A copy sold for $200 a while back: https://collectorsfrenzy.com/Details.aspx?id=330438215407

However, it is kind of crazy to pay $67 for a VG- copy when you could have had a VG+ copy for only $25: https://cgi.ebay.com/FREDDIE-SCOTT-He-Break-Your-Heart-Ill-Gone-/300513826059?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item45f805150b

Social source share

Might be gaining in interest but wouldn't say difficult to source if you wanted one. You still see it boxes when I can be bothered to look, not everything is on the internet you know :thumbsup:

Quite right. I had a couple of cracking bargains at last lifeline.

but I do like buying on in ternet you can relax i your own home and listen to mp3s if you don't know stuff. Listening on headphones in venues is very difficult so I tend to go for things I already know or artists I know deliver.

i'm sure that freddie scott is a good double sider going from memory ? its stuck away in an old box somewhere.......

Social source share

https://cgi.ebay.com/...=item1c186b08e6

Can you hear that Dean?.The sound of me dropping a small boll*ck .....again.:thumbsup:

Social source share

Might be gaining in interest but wouldn't say difficult to source if you wanted one. You still see it boxes when I can be bothered to look, not everything is on the internet you know thumbsup.gif

Agreed Chalky; not difficult to source but becoming more difficult.

There were literally piles of copies up until 12 months or so but they have quickly disappeared.

You can still get a copy but there's a definite trend - something similar to what happened with Charles Allen on Greedy which I've just seen go for £175 on the Bay!

Best.

Greg.

Edited by ClearVinyl
Social source share

The only trend I see is a lack of imagination. It takes a record to sell for silly money just the once and all of a sudden everyone has to have a copy. One sells for daft money and off they all go to the likes of Craig Moerer and get one for $35. Why didn't they buy records like these when you had trouble giving them away?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The only trend I see is a lack of imagination. It takes a record to sell for silly money just the once and all of a sudden everyone has to have a copy. One sells for daft money and off they all go to the likes of Craig Moerer and get one for $35. Why didn't they buy records like these when you had trouble giving them away?

I agree with you that sheep like behaviour is a unimaginative in general but I genuinely believe this is just a case of people being exposed to a good cheap record and wanting a copy.

Many examples of sheep like behaviour that are far more unimaginative imo like the constant stream of people lining up to buy the Four Tracks on Mandingo at the prices it fetches given the number of copies that have become available.

Just my opinion mind wink.gif

Greg.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I agree with you that sheep like behaviour is a unimaginative in general but I genuinely believe this is just a case of people being exposed to a good cheap record and wanting a copy.

Many examples of sheep like behaviour that are far more unimaginative imo like the constant stream of people lining up to buy the Four Tracks on Mandingo at the prices it fetches given the number of copies that have become available.

Just my opinion mind wink.gif

Greg.

the four tracks was never an available record tho greg. things like freddie scott were in every other box you looked in for years. never been the case with four tracks.with this paticular 45 its just a case of having a chance to buy it now when it was out of reach before

dave

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

the four tracks was never an available record tho greg. things like freddie scott were in every other box you looked in for years. never been the case with four tracks.with this paticular 45 its just a case of having a chance to buy it now when it was out of reach before

dave

Point taken absolutely Dave - before our US buddy produced the the Four Tracks batch it was indeed a mighty rare and sought after tune - many more examples; Clara Hardy., Royal Esquires etc.

I was just trying to make the point that sometimes previously very commonly available tunes can become more difficult to source by virtue of their demand in the wider community.

ATB

Greg.

Social source share

Lack of imagination?.Not everyone knows every record Chalky.Some might not have heard this at all,but fits the bill for them.

Records selling for silly money is nothing new.A dealer will say he's ahead of the game,if he's got a chance of making a profit.Nothing wrong with that.Making money out of "in vogue" ,and "not so rare" records is short lived though.Then the prices settle,as it will with Freddie Scott.

Maybe not knowing a record is the reason to go to Craig Moerers and source one.Thats the reason they "didnt buy them when you had trouble giving them away".

Social source share

Lack of imagination?.Not everyone knows every record Chalky.Some might not have heard this at all,but fits the bill for them.

Records selling for silly money is nothing new.A dealer will say he's ahead of the game,if he's got a chance of making a profit.Nothing wrong with that.Making money out of "in vogue" ,and "not so rare" records is short lived though.Then the prices settle,as it will with Freddie Scott.

Maybe not knowing a record is the reason to go to Craig Moerers and source one.Thats the reason they "didnt buy them when you had trouble giving them away".

But I would be surprised if most didn't know Freddie Scott, it's not as though it's a newie or even forgotten oldie, it's been around forever. And if this record was still £10/£15 like it should be and didn't go for a daft price in an auction I dare bet Craig Moerer would have most of those 35 copies left.

And if they didn't know it they clearly didn't have the imagination to seeking records like this out before it fetched a silly figure on auction. Trouble these days everyone needs to be told or have something highlighted rather than go out and look.

Social source share

But I would be surprised if most didn't know Freddie Scott, it's not as though it's a newie or even forgotten oldie, it's been around forever. And if this record was still £10/£15 like it should be and didn't go for a daft price in an auction I dare bet Craig Moerer would have most of those 35 copies left.

True Chalky.But when it was a cheapie i dare say it hardly ever saw turntable action.It was just known.

The fickle world of NS.:rolleyes:

Social source share

And if they didn't know it they clearly didn't have the imagination to seeking records like this out before it fetched a silly figure on auction. Trouble these days everyone needs to be told or have something highlighted rather than go out and look.

It wasn't Moerer who had the biggest result on this it was Sebastian and I'm sure he didn't expect the $200 plus it fetched back in summer - problem is, as Kev says, not everyone is as as savvy and knowledgeable..

ATB

Greg.

Social source share

It wasn't Moerer who had the biggest result on this it was Sebastian and I'm sure he didn't expect the $200 plus it fetched back in summer - problem is, as Kev says, not everyone is as as savvy and knowledgeable..

ATB

Greg.

yes but CM probably sold his stock as a result of Seb's sale. Either that or he removed them from sale at $35 to sell at a higher price later

I fully understand the argument not everyone knows everything but we are talking about a common record not as I said an unknown or even forgotten oldie.

Social source share

Can you hear that Dean?.The sound of me dropping a small boll*ck .....again.:ohmy:

Posted 15 Jun 2010 - 09:16 AM You'll regret selling that Freddie Scott, one of the best tunes you've ever introduced me to (and you've introduced me to several), wonderful tune, deserves a big room spin.

:rolleyes: Nothing quite like sticking it in a mate when he's down. However, Kev at least your a leader not a :thumbsup: . Think I might have a spare!

Social source share

Point taken absolutely Dave - before our US buddy produced the the Four Tracks batch it was indeed a mighty rare and sought after tune - many more examples; Clara Hardy., Royal Esquires etc.

I was just trying to make the point that sometimes previously very commonly available tunes can become more difficult to source by virtue of their demand in the wider community.

ATB

Greg.

and i think your point is right greg

dave

Social source share

ATB

Greg.

i dont know how sebastian does it . he certainly markets his items well. good luck to him

dave

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I was having a think about this last night.

Chalky is right Freddie Scott isn't a forgotten oldie or a newie, what it is though is underplayed. This sort of thing happens regularly to cheap quality 45s as far as I can see.

When more people attend underplayed nights, hear sounds they won't have heard in a main room anywhere and search it out. It happened to me at Bradford, I played Gladys Knight - I've Got To Use My Imagination, someone asked me what it was and then bought one off Adam the same night. It happened with Roy Roberts - You Move Me last year, It only takes a few people to do the same thing, plus if it gets championed on here (Shirley Caeser and Etta James are a good recent examples) and If enough people start looking then the price goes up.

They aren't rare and they aren't newies or widely unknown but they are so rarely played out that that they remain off most people's radar. It's always the same kind of 45s, cheap quality that don't get wide exposure in main rooms. The thing is that the price will fall again because they will remain underplayed while most main rooms will only ever play classic oldies and big money rarities.

That's my theory anyway :thumbsup:

Social source share

I was having a think about this last night.

Chalky is right Freddie Scott isn't a forgotten oldie or a newie, what it is though is underplayed. This sort of thing happens regularly to cheap quality 45s as far as I can see.

When more people attend underplayed nights, hear sounds they won't have heard in a main room anywhere and search it out. It happened to me at Bradford, I played Gladys Knight - I've Got To Use My Imagination, someone asked me what it was and then bought one off Adam the same night. It happened with Roy Roberts - You Move Me last year, It only takes a few people to do the same thing, plus if it gets championed on here (Shirley Caeser and Etta James are a good recent examples) and If enough people start looking then the price goes up.

They aren't rare and they aren't newies or widely unknown but they are so rarely played out that that they remain off most people's radar. It's always the same kind of 45s, cheap quality that don't get wide exposure in main rooms. The thing is that the price will fall again because they will remain underplayed while most main rooms will only ever play classic oldies and big money rarities.

That's my theory anyway :thumbsup:

My point Matt is maybe people saw the pound signs rather than the quality and as I said people want everything on a plate, they can't be bothered to seek out these cheap but quality records cause there is no kudos in buying cheap stuff but as soon as it fetches $200 everything changes.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

My point Matt is maybe people saw the pound signs rather than the quality and as I said people want everything on a plate, they can't be bothered to seek out these cheap but quality records cause there is no kudos in buying cheap stuff but as soon as it fetches $200 everything changes.

I agree there are plenty of lazy DJs and collectors out there, but i'd like to give most people the benefit of the doubt and anyone who buys an unpopular but quality sound because they like it and not because it's played everywhere is ok in my book. Maybe this is the case with Freddie Scott.

Social source share

This was a popular sound in the Mod clubs 10+ years ago when you could pick any number of copies up for a fiver a pop.

No way is this a $200 record, except in the universe of Sebastians buyers (that's no dig at Seb btw).

I've had a much better condition one than the one in the eBay ad in my sales box for £25 for over a year now - so they are there if you look for them.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!