The Continetal 4

Guest miff

Just paid 25 Quid fo above record in mint cond

Then found a shed full on Ebay for a few quid, Dont you just hate that, Inc a Demo

Questin is mine The burgundy one and now I see thers a red one Is One A boot

Or a legal reissue and if so which is which ? See Pics. Thanks in advance

Edited by miff
Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Ste Brazil

I got the demo of this track on E-Bay for about £2.00, it looks a bit rough, all the usual scribbles on the 'A' side that people were seemingly obsessed with doing in the past, but it plays great. Most of the Continental 4 stuff is really cheap - unless you buy from a dealer.

Ste. ranting_1.gif

Edited by Ste Brazil
Social source share

Guest ShaneH

this particular one is the only one worth playing by the the continetal 4 if i am right? i think there may be one more at the most?

Shane

Social source share

I don't think either of them is a reissue or bootleg. I have had copies of both from the US and I presume they are just different pressing runs or from different plants. It is very common with variations in label colour, print, etc. and there is nothing strange about it, usually.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

this particular one is the only one worth playing by the the continetal 4 if i am right? i think there may be one more at the most?

Depends on your taste, i like 'The Love you gave to me' / 'What you gave up baby' which is a B side i think, from memory? I also like Night moods - a bit laid back but good.

Ste.

Social source share

Guest the dukester

I don't think either of them is a reissue or bootleg. I have had copies of both from the US and I presume they are just different pressing runs or from different plants. It is very common with variations in label colour, print, etc. and there is nothing strange about it, usually.

link

I WAS TOLD BY SOMEONE WITH CONSIDERABLY MORE KNOWLEDGE THAN WOT I GOT, SOMETIMES THEY RAN OUT OF INK SO THEY JUST USED UP WHATS IN STOCK AT THE TIME. ranting_1.gif

Social source share

I believe the record in question sold pretty well on release (?) and therefore is not rare at all, so there can't have been much point in a reissue. Just speculation though...

Social source share

Most of the Continental 4 stuff is really cheap - unless you buy from a dealer.

Ste.  :shades:

link

So very true ranting_1.gif

Its seems that when ever I buy from a dealer I then find the same record in someones box or on e bay for considerable less money

can never find the dam record than come across one and the next thing there every where

Social source share

So very true rolleyes.gif

Its seems that when ever I buy from a dealer I then find the same record in someones box or on e bay for considerable less money

can never find the dam record than come across one and the next thing there every where

link

Strangely i bought from a dealer recently and the exact same record went for a good £15 more on e-bay.

Social source share

Hi!

"Night moods" is a very cool track IMO, i guess the spacy sounds on it won't be everybody's cup of tea though...

BTW, you were in BCN "Movin' On" weekend, right? Hope you had a good time!

Best!

Eduard

Social source share

Never booted, probably changed ink half way through press. Nothing sinister about it what so ever.

link

wouldn't have thought they would change ink half way thorugh a press as such. Maybe done a first run, sold well and second run used what ever colour available at the time.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Sold 'Night Moods' for a fiver.... Shite with a capital S.

link

I paid £2.00 for it, but it's a pretty cool track...depends on your point of view again, some people listen to 50's R&B that would sound more at home at a Butlins rock & roll weekend dont they...?! :thumbsup:

Ste.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Hi!

"Night moods" is a very cool track IMO, i guess the spacy sounds on it won't be everybody's cup of tea though...

BTW, you were in BCN "Movin' On" weekend, right? Hope you had a good time!

Best!

Eduard

link

Yeah, the Barcelona weekender was great!

Ste.

Social source share

wouldn't have thought they would change ink half way thorugh a press as such.  Maybe done a first run, sold well and second run used what ever colour available at the time.

link

Quite, or they pressed it in two locations......we've done all this multi coloured versions of stuff a few months back......Cya

Social source share

It seems that no one actually knows if one release is before the other or not, or if they are simultaneous but from different plants. I think we can dismiss the second issue talk as 'northern folklore', unless someone with insight in the manufacturing process tells us otherwise. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

It seems that no one actually knows if one release is before the other or not, or if they are simultaneous but from different plants. I think we can dismiss the second issue talk as 'northern folklore', unless someone with insight in the manufacturing process tells us otherwise. :thumbsup:

link

And until then, none of us will be able to sleep at night! :thumbsup:

Social source share

What You gave Up is brilliant and got played in the very early days when weirder dance beats were  more acceptable (and we were young, daft and the pills were made of nuclear waste)

link

Yup - old spin of mine from Yate. The other side, Day by day, was an '80s urban hit for Tashan.

Most of the releases I've seen on the label have at least two different print runs.

Hippo.

Social source share

What You gave Up is brilliant and got played in the very early days when weirder dance beats were  more acceptable (and we were young, daft and the pills were made of nuclear waste)

link

Yup - old spin of mine from Yate! The b-side, "Day by day", was revived on the US urban scene in the late '80's by Tashan.

Have to say, most releases I've seen on the label had at least two variations, all done around the same time though.

Hippo.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert